Start by marking “The Complete Works of Flavius Josephus” as Want to Read:
The Complete Works of Flavius Josephus

The Complete Works of Flavius Josephus

One of the best known translations of Josephus's work,
translated by William Whiston in 1737

Josephus - An Eyewitness to Christianity
Josephus was a historian who lived from 37 A.D. to about 100 A.D. He was a member of the priestly aristocracy, and was taken hostage by the Roman Empire in the great Jewish revolt of 66-70 A.D. Josephus spent the rest of his life in or around R
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 29th 2010 by Ernest Marsh (first published January 1st 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Works of Flavius Josephus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Works of Flavius Josephus

Jeff
Jul 21, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a "4" for a couple reasons. First of all, the 200 or so pages in The Antiquities of the Jews that cover the Herodian Dynasty are really intriguing. The political maneuverings, the personal friendships with Antony and Roman Caesars, as well as the antipathy of Cleopatra towards Herod the Great reveal a world that was interconnected in a way that I had had no idea before reading this. The internal drama of the Herodian family plays out like a work of Shakespeare. The vast remainde ...more
Ethan
May 11, 2014 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The works of Josephus as translated by William Whiston in the 1700s: Josephus' biography/defense, the Antiquities of the Jews, the Wars of the Jews, and Against Apion. The Kindle edition also features some defenses of Josephus by Whiston.

Josephus is attempting to tell the story of Israel to the Romans, attempting to make sense of the Jewish War, and above all, to justify himself and his conduct in relation to the Jewish War. History has not seen as many brazenly self-propagandistic writers like
Keith Kendall
Feb 26, 2014 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, history
The first work in this volume is the chapter on his life. I had no idea that he was a governor, and military commander because even though I have had this book for decades, my only use of this book so far had been when I wanted an additional source to better understand what I had read in the Bible. Here he comes across (by his own account) as someone who readily forgave his lying enemies who had a fresh conspiracy against his life on every page.

The golden calf was totally missing.

I downloade
Lee Harmon
Aug 20, 2011 Lee Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know if this is a particularly good translation; I’ve nothing to compare it to, since I’ve never read any other. It’s not the translation I wish to promote, it’s the writings. Every Bible scholar, especially New Testament scholars, simply MUST read Josephus.

Josephus was a Jewish historian who wrote his books during the same years that most of the New Testament was being written. That is, the latter three decades of the first century. Josephus was not particularly well-liked among Jews; h
Mike
Feb 18, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Due to the very old literary style in which this book was written, I found it to be rather difficult to read. However, it is both very informative and enlightening in its historical perspectives. I consider it absolutely essential for all Christians who wish to understand the historical background against from which their religion was born and shaped.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 10, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Nik Kane
Jul 26, 2014 Nik Kane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Josephus himself was a traitorous, conniving coward, his writings are required reading for those desiring a better understanding of the history and mythology of ancient Israel.
Tim
Jul 30, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Antiquities of the Jews, Wars of the Jews, and some of the follow-on material. The prodigious accomplishments and efforts of people like David or Herod the Great astounded me... Also, I enjoyed the unexpectedly large amount of Roman history -- even Capri, thanks to Tiberius and Augustus, comes into the narrative. I read this because Ernst Junger's protagonist in "The Glass Bees" took refuge in this book -- the historian's character as an "anarch" appealed to him. Also, one finds here ...more
Robert
Jan 21, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complete edition containing all five extant Josephus writings. The most compelling is his Antiquities which detail Jewish History up to his own time.
Klara Oh
reading it for school
Regina
Jan 03, 2011 Regina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book two stars, but I didn't really think it would be FUN reading. It took me four years to read 1100 double columned pages. You just don't snuggle up with this book. But I feel like I learned some things about Bible time history that I didn't know. And I also learned how many differences there are in the older translations of our Scripture.

This book will serve as a good reference book.
Colin
I first read Josephus in graduate school, finding him fascinating enough to track down in the original Greek (through the Loeb). His complete works are available in translation at very little expense because of his importance to Biblical studies, which causes Biblical-studies presses to keep producing inexpensive editions. Nice!
Jenna Leigh
Jan 22, 2013 Jenna Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Such a great reference, and amazing to read. It was very interesting to see how Josephus interpreted some of the Old Testament, and my copy of this volume has passages highlighted and notes written all over its pages! I highly recommend this for the history buff and somebody interested in 1st century Jewish culture.
David
Apr 14, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, sped
Modern historians whom are critical do a disservice to his work. Though inaccurate by modern standards, when judged among his peers, his scholarship is admirable. Sometimes convoluted, yet often insightful, his account is largely responsible for the information we have on the times which the Savior walked.
Max Lance
Aug 03, 2015 Max Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful, not a book to quickly read and move on. I feel I shall know the man and his life before this book returns to the shelf.
Curtis Chamberlain
What a spectacular historical compilation! This book is one of my favorite resources when looking for accurate data on the Holy Roman Empire or Jewish history.

In invaluable resource for any student of history or theology!
Philip Bergstresser

Learn how to trim your nails the righteous way, here! This belonged to grandfather who inherited it from a book collecting aunt. Hand bound, with single printed pages. Musty like old books should be.
Andre
Feb 26, 2010 Andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josephus is our sole source of information from someone living in the time of Jesus Christ, outside of the New Testament. Probably considered a traitor by his fellow Jews, he seems to have been quite Romanized.
Sandra
Mar 02, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the way words are used. I enjoy learning the history through Josephus eyes and understanding. It is very long and very tiny print but an enjoyable read.
Mark
Jul 31, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly boring but necessary read for an extra-Biblical accounting of events happening around the time of Jesus and the new Church.
Katie
Feb 14, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting...I just looked up a few accounts to see what he had to say about them.
Lauren
Aug 14, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used this as a text for one of my research seminars in college.
John
Old King James transation, too hard to read and follow.
Cynthia Johnson
Sep 14, 2012 Cynthia Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great book to start out reading .
Debbie
Sep 22, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A history. The perspective is different. Interesting.
Kingsley Layton
Jun 08, 2015 Kingsley Layton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Very insightful reference.
Kingsley Layton
Jun 15, 2015 Kingsley Layton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Very insightful reference.
Ken
Dec 19, 2012 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
haven't read it all yet
Jerry Davis
Jerry Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Brent Cowen
Brent Cowen marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
  • The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
  • The Works of Philo
  • The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (The Schocken Bible, Volume 1)
  • Greek New Testament
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • A History of the Christian Church
  • History of the Christian Church, 8 vols.
  • A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada
  • The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters
  • A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew Revised Edition
Titus Flavius Josephus (37 – c. 100),[1] also called Joseph ben Matityahu (Biblical Hebrew: יוסף בן מתתיהו, Yosef ben Matityahu),[2] was a 1st-century Romano-Jewish historian and hagiographer who was born in Jerusalem - then part of Roman Judea - to a father of priestly descent and a mother who claimed royal ancestry.

He initially fought against the Romans during the First Jewish–Roman War as the h
More about Flavius Josephus...

“Accordingly Moses says, That in just six days the world, and all that is therein, was made. And that the seventh day was a rest, and a release from the labor of such operations; whence it is that we Celebrate a rest from our labors on that day, and call it the Sabbath, which word denotes rest in the Hebrew tongue.” 0 likes
“But when he saw that Adam had no female companion, no society, for there was no such created, and that he wondered at the other animals which were male and female, he laid him asleep, and took away one of his ribs, and out of it formed the woman; whereupon Adam knew her when she was brought to him, and acknowledged that she was made out of himself. Now a woman is called in the Hebrew tongue Issa; but the name of this woman was Eve, which signifies the mother of all living.” 0 likes