Start by marking “Wicked Intentions: The Sheila Labarre Murders - A True Story: The Sheila Labarre Murders - A True Story” as Want to Read:

When investigators were called to the secluded farm of attractive, fortyish Sheila LaBarre, they found the dismembered and incinerated remains of her young lover, a man with a child's I.Q. A series of young men had come and gone from the farm over the years, all seeming to vanish into thin air. Now LaBarre was on the run. Eventually she would be caught and would plead insa ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Not Avail (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Intentions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Intentions

Ryen Gallagher
It was strange reading about a murder that took place in my home town. My father, who is a police officer in Epping was mentioned because he was one of the lead investigators. Reading about my own father was kind of weird but it helped me better understand how fictionalized the book is from the real story. My dad has told me stories of the murders and how they really took place other then they are told in the book. It may have made the book better in some parts because the real story may have be ...more
Sammantha
Aug 27, 2015 Sammantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True crime readers
I have to begin by saying that I loved this book based on how the author brought alive the killer Shelia as an evil wicked women. The details of how evil she was throughout this book I have to say the author did a good job there. The author well-developed throughout thus book just how Shelia was crazy and wicked. I found it to be a very disturbing book. Shelia would pay on men who had disabilities or mental illnesses. Which makes her even more sick because she knew she could manipulate them howe ...more
Ali
Jul 22, 2015 Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Giving this book two stars only because it's a fairly interesting, pulpy true-crime story; it is, however, very poorly told. It's difficult to believe the author has multiple awards to his name, as his writing is shockingly amateurish. Repetitive, ultimately uninformative, the narrative jumps around in time and place and tells what little story there is in laughably awkward purple prose (seriously, I haven't seen the word "wicked" used this much since reading fairy tales to my children).
Allison Herman
Mar 23, 2009 Allison Herman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true story of Sheils LaBarre, a woman who tortured and killed unsuspecting men for sport. The book was a real page-turner, even if the writing wasn't the best. There was a bit of jumping back and forth in time. But on the whole, I devoured this book pretty quickly. Good for those who enjoy true crime!
Brandy
Nov 27, 2012 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a book!! I was drawn in with the first sentence and couldn't put it down until I was finished. I wasn't real happy with the back and forth way he writes because it leads to certain facts being repeated numerous times but overall it was a fascinating book. Very intriguing and very interesting! I enjoyed it!
Rita
Jan 17, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bully, human-cruelty
This is a very unique style of writing from the investigative journalist Kevin Flynn.
His attention to detail is awesome and reflects his perceptions of the past, present
and future. This is a MUST READ book and hope he will write anothe true crime.
A five star book without a doubt.
Mary
Feb 18, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the way the author wove his own story into the book. I couldn't put it down.
Tj Luoma
I've read all of his books (4, so far), and finished with this one, which was actually the first he wrote.

It's good, but the others are better. The events of the case are presented well, but overall it didn't seem to flow as well as the others do. I can't say specifically what it was, and I'm definitely glad I read it, but I think the other 3 (co-written with Rebecca Lavoie, who he married after this book) were "better".

(That being said, I bet any author would tell you their writing was better
Meg
Oct 07, 2016 Meg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I heard a podcast that told the story of Sheila LaBarre and afterwards I was so horrified/intrigued I decided to look it up online to learn more about the case. One of the first links that was listed was information about this book....so I decided to check it out.
This book...from the really poorly designed cover (it looks like something from the tabloids) to the poorly written text....disappointed me! The topic is interesting....but the author chose to try to add style (??) by not putting the e
Lady♥Belleza★✰
The call was a “check on the welfare of”, it went from that to a possible murder investigation, then the sheriff remembered other ‘young men’ who had gone to Sheila LaBarre’s farm and not come back. Men with injuries and a ‘funny color’ to their skin. By the time authorities were able to piece things together and go after LaBarre she was on the run. When she was caught she claimed she was killing pedophiles, but these men had no history of it, no history of abuse. So was Sheila insane or an incr ...more
Risa
Sep 27, 2013 Risa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get that Kevin Flynn is heavily connected to this case because of his career as a television journalist, but there is just too much detail in this book. That made for a very long read. Having read the book I can't decide whether LaBarre is evil or just plain crazy. Maybe a combination of both? She had a horrible childhood, replete with abuse and incest, which set her on a bad path. I believe she was a victim, but she turned into a horrible monster herself. She deliberately preyed upon men who ...more
Lauren
Apr 18, 2009 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah -- much more fictionalised than a true story should be. There was flowery language all over the place. It was almost vomit-inducing, and not in a gruesome horror-story, true-crime sort of way. Everything was all 'antique green tractor' and 'tall maple trees suffocating the bright sunshine' prose. It was vile. The homicide didn't even occur until the fifth 'chapter', a word I use loosely, because the 'chapters' were about 5 pages long.

Absolutely wretched. Don't waste your time.
Beth
May 20, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a great book but by no means was it bad, the hard part for me was that I continued to compare it to an Anne Rule book. Her style flows smoothly and I never feel her writing is "cheesy." There were parts of the book that felt kind of cheesy or the way it was written was more for dramatic effect. Since this took place less than 25 miles from where we live, I found it interesting.
Ducky
Jun 01, 2012 Ducky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this whole story macabre and pitiful. It must be difficult to write a story about a true event without being able to gather all the facts. Had this been a work of pure fiction, I would have put it down 1/4 of the way through. It was choppy and sometimes difficult to follow. However, since it was about real events and had to be pieced together by the author, he didn't do a bad job.
Melanie
Oct 03, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another true story I remember from the local news. Interesting, yet disturbing and sad to read more about it.
Sheila Labarre used her feminine wiles to lure men into her bizarre world. She manipulated them, and physically and mentally assaulted them, before killing them and burning their bodies beyond recognition.
Mary
Jun 02, 2010 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bow, true-crime
The story was very novelized -- which the author tells you up front-- which made it a quick and compelling read. It did seem a little over the top in places. Some readers didn't like that the author put so much of his own story in the book. I found his story interesting and would have liked more about his role in the drama and how it affected him.
Cherie Caviness
Sep 28, 2016 Cherie Caviness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written like a novel

Kevin Flynn's writing style makes a bunch of what some might consider boring facts syndrome an interesting read. Having visited the farm where these events took place and saying a prayer at the Countie memorial tree, I wanted to know more of the story, and I wasn't disappointed.
Jenna Taylor
Jul 10, 2013 Jenna Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This woman was seriously sick. the book goes so much further into detail than the local news did. After reading this a few years ago we drove out to her farm... so damn eerie. Kevin wrote a.pretty great book
Eileen
Jun 13, 2013 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that this was true and happened relatively close to where i live, made it especially creepy. This woman is so disturbed; yet she could lure so many people in.. that's frightening! I was not especially impressed with the way it was written. First book maybe ?
Ronnie Cramer
A fairly interesting case (about a crazy murderess in New Hampshire) that would benefit from a more straightforward telling. This account is wordy and always takes a circuitous route in traveling from point A to point B. Michael Benson covered the same ground the following year in THE BURN FARM.
Kim
Jan 24, 2010 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This just wasn't good. Badly written, badly edited. He keeps talking about how depraved and awful and brutal this woman's crimes were and not much happens in the book. He's put WAY too much of himself in the book - his feelings, his marriage problems, etc. Just a really boring read.
Marcia
Mar 28, 2012 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I live 2 and a half miles from the house and encountered sheila on a few occasions. To think that this evil was only a few miles away was pretty creepy. It was weird reading the discriptions of landmarks and towns people that i know. It was okay....but not the greatest book.
Cuykendall
Feb 12, 2016 Cuykendall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew there would be trouble when I noticed 'grisly' spelled 'grizzly' on the dust jacket. I gave up on page 17... The author's frat-boy language turned me off, even if those were the things he was thinking at the time. I wasn't in the mood for a trashy, second-rate book.
Jules
Jul 22, 2011 Jules rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to read true stories. This one happend in a town I live next to. All I can say is OMG!!! It is very scary to know that evil can be that close to you. It is a very disturbing read.
Khris Sellin
May 26, 2010 Khris Sellin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another guilty pleasure. You can't ever go wrong with a TRUE CRIME story!
Sara Brockunier
Jul 16, 2010 Sara Brockunier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book showed the true Sheila LaBarre - and what a horrible person she truly was.
Maggie MacGirr
Mar 13, 2016 Maggie MacGirr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blkvelvet
Jul 08, 2016 Blkvelvet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This woman is truly psycho...I feel for the victims.

BV11
Kevin
Nov 21, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it; I love it. Your mileage may vary.
Mark Levandoski
Peek into the mind of madness or pure evil. You decide.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Law & Disorder: The Legendary FBI Profiler's Relentless Pursuit of Justice
  • I Would Find a Girl Walking
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • I Have Lived in the Monster: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Serial Killers
  • True Stories of Law & Order: SVU: The Real Crimes Behind the Best Episodes of the Hit TV Show
  • Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenage Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Runaway Devil: How Forbidden Love Drove a 12-Year-Old to Murder Her Family
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • Finding Amy: A True Story of Murder in Maine
  • Precious Angels: A True Story of Two Slain Children and a Mother Convicted of Murder
  • Blood of Innocents: The True Story of Multiple Murder in West Memphis, Arkansas
  • A Season of Darkness
  • Zero at the Bone: The Playboy, the Prostitute, and the Murder of Bobby Greenlease
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Harvard and the Unabomber: The Education of an American Terrorist
  • Circumstantial Evidence: Death, Life, and Justice in a Southern Town
  • Couples Who Kill
Kevin Flynn is the author of four true crime books: "Wicked Intentions," "Our Little Secret," "Legally Dead," and "Notes on a Killing," as well as the nonfiction book, "American Sweepstakes." He has appeared on such TV shows as "Unusual Suspects," "Deadly Women," "Killer Instinct," "Deadly Sins," "Pretty Bad Girls," "Nightmare Next Door," and "On the Case with Paula Zahn." He has also written for ...more
More about Kevin Flynn...