Start by marking “Affiniteit” as Want to Read:
Affiniteit

Affiniteit

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  15,778 Ratings  ·  1,062 Reviews
Verslagen na de dood van haar vader, vindt Margaret Prior een nieuw doel in haar leven: in de labyrintische Victoriaanse Millbank gevangenis bezoekt ze vrouwen. Te midden van moordenaars, gifmengsters en dieven lijkt het medium Selina Dawes betrekkelijk onschuldig. Margaret raakt geheel in haar ban, met haar schemerwereld van seances, schaduwen en geestverschijningen. Beva ...more
Published 2006 by Nijgh & Van Ditmar (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Affiniteit, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Qelilah Don't see a way to edit my comment. I see that my audio writer put Dors and not Dawes.
Qelilah I believe Veritas are pictures in the middle ages depicting real life of the common people. Just a guess from studying the Borgias, Medici, Italian…moreI believe Veritas are pictures in the middle ages depicting real life of the common people. Just a guess from studying the Borgias, Medici, Italian era.(less)

Wendy Darling
Apr 09, 2016 Wendy Darling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gothic literature, Edgar Allen Poe
In reading the gothic psychological novel Affinity, it is nearly impossible to shake off an overwhelming feeling of gloom and pervasive dread. Following a failed suicide attempt, a young "lady visitor" named Margaret Prior develops a relationship with an inmate named Selina Dawes in a Victorian women's prison, and both their lives are forever changed by their acquaintance.

Narrated in alternating chapters by the two very different women, this dark, moody story incites fear, melancholy, and terrib
S.S.
Oh, Sarah Waters, the lesbian Charles Dickens. Some think she’s boring and I totally understand that. Nothing can be more mundane than flowing, ornate sentences filled with imagery strong enough to physically transport you to the setting, right? And don’t get me started on that gorgeous historically accurate Victorian-style prose. I’m half asleep just thinking about her engaging plots and characters. So, yeah, I can definitely see how it can be boring and how you’d rather watch football or somet ...more
Tatiana
Oct 22, 2011 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of quality women's fiction
As seen on The Readventurer

It is almost impossible to say anything about the plot of Affinity without spoiling something, so I'll refrain from recapping. A wealthy, depressed old maid starts visiting a women's prison and quickly finds herself taken by an inmate, a young spiritualist - that's all you need to know.

Let's talk about feelings instead. This sense of emptiness and despair I am left with is so overwhelming right now, that it leads me to believe I might have liked Affinity even more than
Inge
Dec 19, 2012 Inge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, fantasy
DNF 43%

I am sorry, Affinity, that we didn't work out. We both just want different things. It's not you, it's me. I'm just not in the right state of mind to read you right now. But someday, somewhere, you will make a reader fall in love with you, and you will make that person very happy. And that is what you deserve.

Go in peace now. I release you.

Finished it anyway

Nope, still don't get it.
Siria
Sarah Waters, at this stage, must be the accepted queen of Victorian Gothic lesbian melodrama; not, I imagine, that there is much competition for this title, but I think it's a deserved one nonetheless.

In many ways, the plot of Affinity is like that of the other work of Waters' that I have read, Fingersmith. Crime and Victorian punishment, repression and sexuality and psychology, all feature heavily in both books. Affinity, however, is a much more satisfying novel for me. While it, too, hangs on
SK *The Cupcake Queen*
Gah! I can't do this. It's so slow and just so boring...So DNF from me :(
BrokenTune
Feb 26, 2015 BrokenTune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Now I have more freedom than I ever had at any time in my life, and I do only the things I always have."

Affinity - a feeling of closeness and understanding that someone has for another person because of their similar qualities, ideas, or interests.

This book was not easy to get into. I'm neither a fan of Dickensian tales of woe nor of paranormal or supernatural stories, so for most of this book I was not convinced I would finish it, never mind like it.

The structure of the book was difficult, to
Anastasia
Generally, I don't pick up random books at Barnes and Noble that I don't already know a little about. However, I made an exception with Affinity because it intrigued me so. I come to find out that was a pretty costly mistake.

Firstly, the book dabbles in the supernatural psychics world which I already hold a serious distrust for. However, I thought this book might present the spiritual medium's world in a light that's a little more pretty and entertaining. No, instead I still feel oddly at ends
Oscar
‘Afinidad’, de la galesa Sarah Waters, está ambientada en el siglo XIX victoriano, y explora el oscuro y opresivo mundo de una cárcel de mujeres, a la vez que nos muestra cómo era el ambiente del espiritismo en aquella época. Igualmente, el amor lésbico está presente, y, aunque no explícitamente, sí se trata con naturalidad, algo que en la narrativa victoriana sólo podía ser leído entre líneas.

La historia está escrita en forma de diario a dos voces, las de Margaret Prior y Selina Dawes, lo que d
Rainbow
Jul 25, 2010 Rainbow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Sarah Waters is brilliant. This is third book I've read of hers so far, and I couldn't put it down. (TENSE.) I was a bit disappointed with the ending. At first, it reminded me too much of "Fingersmith" -- though they're not really alike. (They're both kind of Sixth-Sensey.) All the same, I'm going to read the rest of her books. Because when I'm reading one, I can't wait to get through it. And when it's over, I feel sad, like I won't find anything near as good to read next.

Misha
"Sexy, Spooky, Stylish" - that's the blurb on the cover. If I was not a Sarah Waters fan already, I would have picked up the book based on those words. How can you resist a book with that description? After reading the book, I can safely say that those words are an accurate description of Affinity. I will further add to that - "Haunting and magical."

It seems, I have been reading many deliciously gothic novels recently. Well, I am not complaining! Affinity is yet another addition to my love for a
Amy
Feb 17, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, 2014
I've felt many different ways about Sarah Waters novels. The first I read - Tipping the Velvet - I loved. I got to the end and turned immediately back to the begining. Fingersmith I really enjoyed, The Night Watch I thought was ok and The Little Stranger I hated.

So who knew where I was to stand with Affinity? After all, my feelings on SW run the entire gauntlet. But I was excited when I realised I'd forgotten about this novel of hers and - happily! - I wasn't disappointed.

I didn't love it as mu
Celine
Sep 06, 2012 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I had no idea how sad Affinity would make me. Because it does, and it has, for at least two days even after finishing the book.

Affinity is the tale Margaret, a young lady living in nineteenth-century London. After her father's death, Margaret has fallen ill for half a year. Now everything is slightly better, she has taken it upon her to visit the female inmates at the Millbank prison as Lady Visitor. Here she meets the spirit medium Serena, who starts to intrigue her mo
Maggie
Jan 21, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blair
Set in the mid-1870s, Affinity is the story of lonely Margaret Prior. Nearing thirty, unmarried, and recovering from a series of difficult and upsetting events including the death of her beloved father, she takes up the duties of a 'lady visitor' at London's Millbank prison. Assigned to visit, speak with and offer companionship to the female prisoners, she finds herself developing a particular affection for one inmate - Selina Dawes, an alleged medium imprisoned for fraud and assault. At first, ...more
Lisa
Jun 08, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-author, audio
Set in 1870's London this tells the story of Margaret who is a lady trying to recover from a suicide attempt by visiting those less fortunate than herself at Millbank women's prison and Selina who is a spiritualist who ends up in prison when a seance goes wrong.
We follow their stories separately and as their worlds collide so the bond between them is revealed, from both sides.
Beautifully written with a supernatural element that gives it a creepy edge and an interesting insight into how the priso
Rusalka
Sticking with the gothic theme for a bit. Affinity is a book I actually hadn't heard that much about. But after loving Tipping the Velvet so much last year, the last time I was at the secondhand bookshop I picked it up. Which was fortuitous as there were a few other Sarah Waters options, but this was the one chosen as a group read for April.

The book is another Victorian London historical fiction. We meet Margaret, the eldest, single sister in her family, as she starts her first day as a Lady Vis
When I first finished this book, I rated it 4 stars because my head was still spinning from the very clever twists at the end. But now I come to review the book and it is very definitely a 5 star read for me.

This darkly gothic tale takes part in Victorian London and Waters' writing really paints a vivid and stark portrait of what it must have been like living there, and in particular what life was like in a women's prison.

When I started reading the first chapter, I thought I wasn't going to lik
Megan
What to say about Affinity? I liked it.... mostly. No, no that's not correct. I liked it a lot but it took me fooooorever to finish it. Was it me? The writing style? The excessive female hysteria? Hmm... I guess the only way to decide for sure is to pick up another Sarah Waters novel.

I definately recomend Affinity for lovers of Victorian literature. In fact, I have a suspicion that my impatience with this style of writing is what made the book so slow for me. In theory, it is awesome ~ women's
El
Jan 24, 2010 El rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This second book by Waters takes place again in 19-century England much like her first book, Tipping the Velvet. This story takes place not on the stage and in the bedrooms of ladies, but primarily in a women's prison. Margaret is a "Lady Visitor" as part of her rehab after attempting suicide after her father's death. While there she becomes captivated by Selina Dawes, a woman who was imprisoned for her work in spirituality after a seance went awry. Margaret begins researching Selina and fills h ...more
Vonia
I have said it before, I will say it again. I cannot fathom how Sarah Waters does it, how she can draw the reader into this entirely other world, this other period, time, place, complete immersion. Even something simple like the protagonist Miss Prior's afternoon in The Spiritualists' Reading Room instantly conceived for me a dim, smoky, velvet lined library where she learns the secrets of her true love/affinity's case. Genius.

I honestly do not typically care for the paranormal stories, but und
Vienna
May 20, 2016 Vienna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
*4.5* stars. Storyline and characters were really interesting and unique, but I couldn't give it 5 stars because something I was confused and I wasn't as hooked as I was with Tipping The Velvet.
Elizabeth
T.B. Markinson
Really enjoyed this one.
Cheri
Took two readings to fully appreciate. I'm a big Sarah Waters fan and have been for many years. I've read all of her books, in the order that they were published. My first reading of Affinity left me very disappointed. Many of my friends had read it and raved about how great it was - it's the favorite SW book for some of them.

After reading nothing but lesbian fiction - primarily romance - for several years, I've gotten back into reading horror and thrillers and mysteries. It took me quite a whil
Nicole Sweeney
This review and more at The Bibliophile Chronicles!

A sad Gothic novel filled with a continuing feeling of dread.

Margaret Prior is recovering from a suicide attempt. After the death of her father she arranges to attend a local prison a few days a week to visit the prisoners - to talk and comfort them. On her rounds she meets Selina Dawes, and the two strike up a friendship. Selina is a medium, imprisoned for a seance gone wrong. Unsure whether to believe Selina’s gifts are real, Margaret is drawn
This one is so hard for me to rate. I'm very bummed out re the ending. I'm angry. And the book was so dark! Too dark for me.

This woman can really write though. Seriously, you have to give her books a try. I adored The Little Stranger. In this one, I think her writing is actually better, but the scenes are mostly in a prison in 1874 and it is depressing and demoralizing to be in that place. And you really feel like you are there. She puts you in the scene, sights, smells and all.

I wanted to fin
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. Sarah Waters has become one of my favorite authors.

"Affinity," like "Fingersmith," is a book that you really can't summarize in a review at risk of giving too much away.

Waters achieves a suspenseful atmosphere in this book. Dealing with Victorian spiritualism and the prison system in the 1870s, the reader isn't quite sure what is supernatural and what isn't. And furthermore, you realize that while there is only one character in prison, Margaret is really in a prison of her own-
Elaine
Dec 06, 2012 Elaine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a plodding bore! And by such an excellent novelist! The plotting is original.
but the language plods along with repetitious details,
such as how often do we have to hear about doses of Chloral?

The reasons for the heroine's visits to the prison were muddy. The prison scenes.
while probably accurate were devoid of suspense. They were merely dreary. Even springing an inmate from gaol didn't grab me.

Were Waters a lesser novelist, I'd have given this 2 stars. This should have been as exciting as
Ruthiella
Jul 30, 2011 Ruthiella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Took me a few pages to get my orientation, but then I was off and really could not put this book down. Sensitive, intellectual Margaret, still mourning the loss of her father and living with her overbearing mother, becomes a volunteer “Lady Visitor” on the women’s ward of a 19th century London prison. As a Lady Visitor, Margaret’s purpose is to help rehabilitate the prisoners by setting a ladylike example. Among the thieves and prostitutes, Margaret finds herself drawn to one inmate in particula ...more
Guardian Newspape...: February - Affinity 16 24 Feb 22, 2015 02:04PM
Veritas by Crivelli 1 18 Nov 05, 2014 04:44PM
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 3 17 Aug 07, 2014 12:20PM
  • Life Mask
  • The Blue Place (Aud Torvingen, #1)
  • Afterimage
  • The Observations
  • Patience & Sarah
  • Aimée & Jaguar: A Love Story, Berlin 1943
  • The World Unseen
  • Wildthorn
  • Under the Poppy (Under the Poppy, #1)
  • Set in Stone
  • The Victorian Chaise Longue
  • Curious Wine
  • As Meat Loves Salt
  • Kept
  • Love Devours:  Tales of Monstrous Adoration
  • The Old Men at the Zoo
  • Olivia
  • Chloe Plus Olivia: An Anthology of Lesbian Literature from the Seventeenth Century to the Present
Sarah Waters is a British novelist. She is best known for her first novel, Tipping the Velvet, as well the novels that followed, including Affinity, Fingersmith, and The Night Watch.

Waters attended university, earning degrees in English literature. Before writing novels Waters worked as an academic, earning a doctorate and teaching. Waters went directly from her doctoral thesis to her first novel.
More about Sarah Waters...

“Why do gentlemen's voices carry so clearly, when women's are so easily stifled?” 35 likes
“It is a world that is made of love. Did you think there is only the kind of love your sister knows for her husband? Did you think there must be here, a man with whiskers, and over here, a lady in a gown? Haven't I said, there are no whiskers and gowns where spirits are? And what will your sister do if her husband should die, and she should take another? Who will she fly to then, when she has crossed the spheres? For she will fly to someone, we will all fly to someone, we will all return to that piece of shining matter from which our souls were torn with another, two halves of the same. It may be that the husband your sister has now has that other soul, that has the affinity with her soul—I hope it is. But it may be the next man she takes, or it may be neither. It may be someone she would never think to look to on the earth, someone kept from her by some false boundary...” 25 likes