Start by marking “Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up” as Want to Read:
Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Updated to include the escapades of the last 16 years ofathe queen of the groupies, this rollicking, piquant, andasometimes heartbreakingafollow-up toa"IOCOm With the Band" documents Pamela Des Barres' struggles with postmodern marriage and motherhood. Coveringathe middle-passage years of the baby-boom generation, athis biography portraysaaahilarious, inspiring tussle with ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Take Another Little Piece of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Another Little Piece of My Heart

Rick Barcenas
I liked "I'm with the Band" so much I had to read this one too. Ms. Des Barres is definitely an interesting gal. Still in love with her?....Maybe a little. Wild Child grows up, has a family etc. A good read.
This is the sequel to I'm With The Band, the bible of the born-too-late. It's decidedly less exciting than the first book, but well worth the read if you fall in love with Pamela as much as I did.
Ultimately the subject mater of this particular instalment of Pamela's life wasn't all that appealing to me - husband, difficult marriage, child - I much preferred the previous book.
Great read....

As usual this author gives us a glimpse of her glorious life she has created and I marvel at her way that she writes, and am inspired that you can do anything you dream...and even after all of life's speed bumps....I always love reading what Miss Pamela has to tell.....
I was a very young teen when I read and loved Pamela's first book, I'm with the Band. It's entirely possible that I would feel differently about it now, but I'm definitely finding her follow-up book about her marriage to Michael Des Barres (which, we're told going in, ended in divorce) depressing. Not because I know the marriage didn't last, but because she seemed to make the whole point of her life to be keeping a moody, selfish husband happy. Though it's a quick read, I haven't even been inter ...more
While I loved "Let spend the night" and "I'm with the band" to pieces and couldn't stop reading them, I had a really hard time finishing this book. The first half of it is overshadowed by the breakdown of her marriage, which makes it kind of depressing to read - the second half was easier to read and in parts reminded me of her other books.
I'm a little late to the sequel party, but interesting to follow up with what she was doing after the last book left off.
Such an interesting life. But I want to know who HIM is.
I found this to be a little darker than the first book, but still a good read. I enjoyed her carrying the reader through her journey and growth into womanhood. I love hearing her talk about her pregnancy and first baby, it's very sincere and very sweet. A classic rise and fall love story with some dark twists and painful memories. I feel like she used this book to voice her break up after thoughts to her ex. It was her outlet to get her whole story out there and say 'look at me now, I'm over it' ...more
Pamela Des Barres writes with a very engaging voice and manages to make this book almost as gripping as the first, though a teensy bit of the magic is lost when it's more focused on family and career than shenanigan with rock stars and fellow groupies. But, I'm really glad I got to read what happened next and see a little more of her journey of self-discovery.
Follow up to I'm With the Band. It was an okay read. The marriage drama, new age advice, and problem child interludes bored me. I just wanted to read more of her escapades. At the same time, I appreciated her honesty (she admits she was codependent) and her seemingly genuine appreciation for people and life.
Lilly de Vries
"its more like swooping in love and it's happening to me"

I absolutely swooped in love with "I'm with the band" and now I'm so terribly sad that I've finished this book. I love the hater-stories and how misunderstood her story is. I really can't wait to start another installment of Miss Pamela's life!

I loved this book. I don't think Pamela is the best writer but I enjoy her voice so much. Her life is so interesting. I felt truly inspired while reading this. Her honesty is awesome and her life is incomprehensible. I can't wait to read the rest of her works. I'm an obsessed fan.. or groupie if you will.
After reading and loving Miss Des Barres' "I'm With the Band," finding a copy of this sequel in a used book store was like being reunited with an old friend. This book further details her marriage to Michael Des Barres and raising her son Nick. A must-read for anyone who enjoyed the original.
Jayne Lamb
Not a patch on 'I'm With the Band', the 80's ennui seems to settle in a bit over Miss Pamela. Still definetly worth a read, she has one of the most distinctive and sweet voices out there.
Mandy - Reading in the Happi Bat's Nest
Great look into how Miss Pamela grew up and I enjoyed the progression of her youthful friendships with the stars into actual solid and mature relationships that have lasted years
This one is my favorite out of all of Pamela Des Barres books. Its basically about her life in the 80s, which was even more intersting than her hard core groupie days.
Angela Watson
If you love/live with an addict, this is definitely a read that will at least help you feel less alone. It was like a girlfriend holding my hand through some dark times.
Carol Ann
Ms. Clark uses her winning recipe which involves an emotionally but lovely heroine, nasty deaths, and a looney living next door. As usual I read it in one evening
Pam Houghton
I'm still reading this but I like it. She wrote "I'm With the Band" - but it wasn't in at the library. Got this instead. It's interesting, fun reading.
It was a waste of my time. Nothing like the first book. It was about her marriage, not marriage, and son Nick.
It was pretty hairy there for awhile, but was engaging, interesting and fun (mostly) to read.
One of my favorite books of all time. Thanks to this book I discovered Kerouac.

The first time I ever heard about Al-Anon.
Brandi DeMont
Brandi DeMont marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Pauliine marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Siri Stenquist
Siri Stenquist marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
  • Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie
  • Wonderful Tonight
  • Up and Down with the Rolling Stones
  • I Slept With Joey Ramone
  • Punk
Pamela Des Barres aka Miss Pamela (born Pamela Ann Miller on September 9, 1948) is a former rock and roll groupie, author, and magazine writer.

Des Barres was born in Reseda, California. Her mother was a housewife and her father worked for Anheuser-Busch and occasionally worked as a gold miner. She idolized the Beatles and Elvis Presley as a child, and fantasized about meeting and dating her favori
More about Pamela Des Barres...
I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon One Night Bands Love Him Madly: An Intimate Memoir of Jim Morrison