Start by marking “Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)

Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With Kydd, Julian Stockwin introduced us to a young wig-maker from Guildford who was kidnapped and pressed into duty with the tempestuous crew of the Duke William battle ship. Now, Thomas Paine Kydd is back -- with a vengeance -- in the latest installment of Stockwin's thrilling naval adventure series.

Artemis is the eighteenth-century crack frigate that Kydd and sea-mate

Published June 15th 2010 by Scribner (first published April 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Artemis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artemis

Courage by Robert    CarterMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianPost Captain by Patrick O'BrianH.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'BrianHornblower and the Hotspur by C.S. Forester
Historical Naval Fiction
60th out of 115 books — 91 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Nautical Novels
182nd out of 216 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

James
Some people have said that this is an improvement on the debut novel, but I feel that it falls just shy of that brilliance. But not by much. Four Stars

Plot: Four Stars
This plot centers, mainly, around Kydd and Renzi's adventures on the crack frigate Artemis. What really caught my attention to this book was the way that the plot was woven into real life events so well, but still managed to create/find events which grew the characters. I loved the time on shore at the beginning of the book and the...more
Robin Carter
The second book in a long running series this title has made many improvements on the debut title issues, the characters have grown, and gone is the innocence to the plot a new origionality pervades the whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

Having read the rest of the series and read the rest of the reviews i can tell others that Julian did learn and progress the characters even further, and when that was coupled with his obvious passion fo...more
Mike
I have really come to enjoy this series following the main character Thomas Kydd. These books really capture the spirit of adventure by pulling the reader into a bygone age...almost making me wish I could sail the ocean blue like they did back then. One has to get used to the writing style and the 18th century lingo, but this is a very entertaining book - making the reader want to dive into the next one.
Bob Hinnant
I found this book very entertaining. I like how the author keeps the story moving. So many authors get carried away describing topography or other features. While some can be interesting or can add to the story, many times it can be over done to a point where it breaks up the rhythm of the story.
Patty
It's been a while since I read any Patrick O'Brian or Forrester seafaring novels. I picked this one up for my Dad and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think it's in their league as far as characterization, dialogue, etc., but lots of historical accuracy and excitement.
Jim
Kydd is rising quickly through the ranks. He started as an inexperienced landlubber. Now he is a petty officer. Sometimes his quick instincts and good luck are a little hard to believe. It will be interesting to read on and see if he ever gets sick or hurt.
Curtiss
In this second novel in th Kydd series, Thomas Kydd acquires the skills and reputation of a prime seaman aboard the crack frigate H.M.S. Artemis, as he and his friend Nicolas Renzi experience adventures around the world.
Gary
I'm a sailor myself and I loved this series of books by Julian Stockwin. Well written and a fascinating look at a bygone time period as seen through the eyes of a young man who is forced into service.
Gordon Love
Somewhat in the Hornblower mode, but with a more realistic, though no less swashbuckling, central character.
Jeff Carter
Excellent series - I'm enjoying this series as much as the Patrick O'Brian series.
A&S
A better book than the first in the series.
Sharon
Good sea adventure.
Jonas
Jonas added it
Sep 27, 2014
Brad Schliesser
Brad Schliesser marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Nicholas Dorman
Nicholas Dorman marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 14 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc...more
More about Julian Stockwin...
Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1) Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3) Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5) Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4) Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)