Start by marking “The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More” as Want to Read:
The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More

The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More

Stacy Julian, founding editor of Simple Scrapbooks Magazine is best known for her liberating and revolutionary approach to scrapbooking. As an industry pioneer with over ten years experience as a teacher, writer and scrapbooker, Stacy is committed to empowering others. The Big Picture, Stacy's fourth book shares ideas, inspiration and solutions for all scrapbookers, regard ...more
Spiral-bound, 128 pages
Published November 30th 2005 by Primedia Scrapbooking

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More

Pamela
Aug 27, 2008 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all scrapbookers, especially those who always feel "behind!"
What a breath of fresh air!! I love to scrapbook and always feel like I am racing to keep up, since I also love to take photos. This book is refreshing because it turned lots of ideas on their heads. Julian doesn't believe in just making chronological "event" scrapbook pages. She is more interested in documenting the little things in her family's life. As examples, she shows a page on Target, favorite foods, dancing to Diana Ross while unloading the dishwasher. She is right when she says "you ca ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I have decided to do a scrapbook of my twins pictures and notions that I get from their adoptive parents. I have the first 4 pages done in the book, but my creative juices came to a stand still. I needed some new ideas and so I looked up some scrapbooks at the library. This book had a bunch of ideas and tips. I now am ready to tackle down the next couple of pages and maybe, just maybe get done with all the pictures by the new year. Only to start on a new book for what's to come.
Trish
Feb 08, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing
Non-Fiction; Arts & Crafts/Scrapbooking
5 stars

Ok, so maybe the content of the book doesn't justify the 'amazing' 5 star rating but I have to tell you that the author definitely deserves it. Stacy Julian is an absolute delight and is so well loved by her adoring fans for a reason, she keeps it real.

In this book, you will find tons of ideas about how to scrapbook. Not in the technical do this, do that way--- but in a way that really makes you think about what kinds of memories you are document
Heather
Sep 24, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book was an eye opener for me. I have been struggling the last few years with scrapbooking - feeling like I will never "catch up" with all the photos I have. I had it in my head that I had to scrapbook my photos chronologically. What a huge weight off my shoulders when I realized I could scrapbook the photos that I wanted to scrapbook when I wanted to scrapbook them! If I want to pull some photos from 10 years ago to play with one day, then grab some from last week the next day, I can. It's ...more
Becky Christensen
Jun 06, 2009 Becky Christensen marked it as to-read
This book has great ideas for doing scrapbooks the old fashioned way but I have found it much easier to create my Memory Books or Story Scrap Books Digitally with HeritageMakers - at www.yourstorybooksonline.com Absolutely no cutting gluing pasting and big scrap books sitting on shelves- but rather beautiful hardcover library quality books. And it costs less too - at an average of $20.00 per scrap book page plus all those containers to hold all those supplies! Izzsh! I have access to over 40,000 ...more
Kelley
Sep 28, 2016 Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeping, scrapbooking
Great ideas. Reading it inspires you.
Lain
Dec 02, 2007 Lain rated it it was amazing
f I could give this book more than five stars, I would. Stacy Julian takes the "big picture" view and moves away from worrying about what color embossing ink to use on the page, and reminds readers that scrapbooking is, first and foremost, about capturing your family's memories. In her wonderfully warm style, she leads you through design, inspiration, organization, and more. Like no other scrapbooking book on the market -- don't miss it!
Liliana
Jul 16, 2007 Liliana rated it it was amazing
If you are ever curious about scrapbooking and capturing life memories, this is the book to get started with. Stacy Julian does a great job in helping beginners as well as experienced scrapbookers in getting "the big picture", scrapbooking is not rocket science and she helps you open your eyes to this. I found lots of inspiration in this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves saving memories!
Maile
Jul 08, 2008 Maile rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE Stacy Julian's philosophy on scrapbooking. She has taken away 99% of my scrapbooking-related stress and left me with a whole lot of fun when I scrapbook. She talks a lot about her style in this book, so I recommend it to those who do get stressed about scrapbooking and for people who want exposure to more than just event scrapbooking - personality traits, etc.
Liz
Apr 17, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
Stacy Julian has a wonderful perspective on scrapbooking. Her focus is always the memory not the picture or paper. She focuses on daily life and relationships. Her journaling is authentic and interesting. She is having a huge influence on me. I know my scrapbooks will be more interesting because of this book. I absolutely love the handwritten inserts for each section.
Jamey
Aug 09, 2008 Jamey rated it it was amazing
This book is great for scrapbookers but even more so for people who have boxes upon boxes of photos to sort through and put in albums. There is a ton of creative ideas for pages and various albums but the simple idea of 'you don't need every photo you have taken' really helps keep things in perspective!
Paula
Oct 12, 2007 Paula rated it it was amazing
Any scrapbooker just starting out or those of us who have lost the desire to scrapbook needs to read this book. I am not saying this because Stacy is my business partner but because this book really changes your perspective on scrapbooking and gets you back to what it's all about.
Gretchyn
Apr 22, 2008 Gretchyn rated it it was amazing
Of all the books on scrapbooking I own, this one has been the most influential on my style -- both my scrapbooking style and my photo organization style. She also teaches a class based on this system through Big Picture Scrapbooking. High recommend that, too. GREAT STUFF!
Lisa
Jun 23, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is the perfect book for someone who is thinking about starting to scrapbook. It gives a real life and approachable way to scrapbook that is manageable for anyone. Also great for anyone who already scrapbooks, but is feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Teri Massey
Apr 06, 2007 Teri Massey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any scrapper
LOVE this author, love the insight she provides into how much the little things in life can / should mean & tips on saving these memories for my girls to understand / enjoy one day - with & without pictures /visuals .

Stacy is inspiring !!!!
Deirdre Keating
Jul 30, 2007 Deirdre Keating rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
I debated making a separate Scrapbooking category for this one, but really, it is more inspirational than a scrap-how-to or layout-lift book. I love Stacy Julian's ideas and outlook and find her a constant source of inspiration.
Tammy
Dec 26, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book changed my perspective on scrapbooking. You don't have to scrap chronologically, and there are no rules! It frees you up to do what you want, create art and memorabilia, and understand why on earth you are doing it!
Carrie
Sep 16, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scapbooking
Love this one! I will buy anything written by SJ, especially when the book is so good and so full of ideas and info and challenges to think about scrapping in a different way. Loved it then, still love it now.
Tracey Chorley
I love this book - totally changed the way I thought about scrapbooking, not my style but my approach. I would recommend this to anyone who feels they SHOULD scrap in a certain way/ method.
Diane
Mar 02, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing
I love Stacy Julian- I got to meet her at Scrapbowl 2007 and take a class with her. Everyone told me to read this and thus far it is wonderful. A wonderful philosophy of creativity.
Tiffany
Jul 16, 2007 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
For anyone trying to get a handle on their scrapbooking, this book is a MUST READ! Great organizational tips and encouraging for those of us who have photos and supplies everywhere!
Sara Grafton
Sep 09, 2007 Sara Grafton rated it really liked it
Shelves: scrapbooking
This is my favorite book about scrapbooking so far. I have decided that books about scrapbooking give me an excuse to read books with a lot of pictures as an adult.
Jul 14, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scrapbookers who worry too much
Stacy Julian reminds me to enjoy the process, enjoy scrapbooking, and enjoy life, and don't sweat the small stuff because it is the small stuff!
Bonita Rose
Jul 09, 2007 Bonita Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scrapbooking
this is my fave scrapbooking idea book. It taught me to not feel guilty cuz I was never caught up... taught me how to scrapbook guilt-free!!!!!!
Amanda
Jul 11, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scrapbook makers
I am a chronological scrapper, and her style is different, but I love how she really tells the stories from their lives. Very inspiring.
Sandybear76
Jan 22, 2012 Sandybear76 rated it really liked it
a good reference for people who scrapbook. The author focused on the everyday pictures to capture the big picture of their life.
Pamela
Aug 06, 2007 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any scrapbooker
The absolute best book out there on scrapbooking. It has changed the way I scrapbook and look at recording memories.
Jeri
Jan 04, 2008 Jeri rated it really liked it
Love this book! This is one of my first scrapping books that I have purchased. Love the bonus tags included.
Emma
Oct 20, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It totally changed the way I scrapbook and how I look at documenting my family.
Kristen
Feb 19, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with too many photos
Not a scrapbook design book but one that changed the way I think about scrapbooking! Excellent
  • A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking
  • Clean & Simple: Scrapbooking: The Sequel
  • The Organized and Inspired Scrapbooker
  • Creative Sketches for Scrapbooking
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Scrapbook Page Maps: Sketches For Creative Layouts
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Spirit for the Modern Lifestyle