Start by marking “Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)” as Want to Read:
Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)

Command (Kydd Sea Adventures #7)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  354 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In this seventh book of the series, Thomas Kydd is master ofhis ownbrig-sloop Teazer and he must race the clock to make her battle-ready to defend Malta against Barbary pirates and the French, who are frantically trying to rescue the remnants of their army in the Levant. Suddenly, peace isdeclared, and the young captain finds himself ashore. To make ends meet, he agrees to ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by McBooks Press (first published October 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Command

Ken
Nov 21, 2009 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasonable read, ran out of steam towards the end.
Jim
Mar 14, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
As indicated, this book in the Kydd Sea Adventures series relates Lt. Kydd's first command and his elevation to Commander - captain of the brig/sloop, HMS Teazer. Kydd is based out of Malta, where Teazer was built and he is attached to the small British military command on the island. Elated with his assignment, Kydd finds quickly, however, what the loneliness of command really means - no one with whom he can confide or just talk informally on board his ship.

Interestingly, this novel shows, for
James
Jul 11, 2012 James rated it really liked it
I had written a review for this book, but Goodreads seems to disagree with me and has decided not to post it for some strange and utter reason. So, maybe it's fates way of telling me to re-write and better it. Well, whatever, here goes. This book is yet another brilliant addition to what is fast becoming - if it hasn't already secured such a place - my favourite sea-faring series. This book see's Kydd become commander of his own vessel and all that that entails.

Plot: Four Stars

The first half of
Hisham1969
Nov 15, 2011 Hisham1969 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Carter
May 05, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
The seventh book in a long running series that just seems to get better and better the characters keep growning and flowing with their ever expanding plot lines and movement into the ever larger arena of their times, as they and their careers / fortunes grow so do the scale and power of the troubles they encounter gone is the innocence to the plot a new origionality pervades the whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

This for me is the most
Rupert Matthews
Sep 19, 2014 Rupert Matthews rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. As with anything in a series it followed on from before and was leading on to something to come, but it still stood pretty good on its own. A nice plot with a couple of unexpected twists, generlly good characters (though one was a bit cardboard). on the whole a good adventure yarn.
J.
Jul 05, 2010 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, I wish I had a nickel for every Naval fiction review or book blurb that included, "successor to Patrick O'Brian". Which, of course, no one is, as O'Brian is truly unique in the genre, as C.S Forester is the archetype of the genre. Stockwin is a worthy successor to, say, Alexander Kent (Douglas Reeman). which is just fine with me. The Kidd series is a good and entertaining one and this is a strong entry with the always good "fitting out one's first command" angst, plus lots of other action. ...more
David Cozens
Aug 07, 2015 David Cozens rated it really liked it
Newly promoted commander gets his first ship in the Mediterranean.
Thomas West
Jan 24, 2016 Thomas West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last Thomas Kydd his own HMS TEAZER. great.
Gordon Chambers
Aug 25, 2010 Gordon Chambers rated it liked it
Stockwin is a very proficient author. I have read this book previously, but out of order with the rest. It's a much better read when read in sequence. The authors knowlege of the handling of these mighty wooden sailing ships is amazing. It was well researched and the story was good, although I thought it lost momentum in the second half. Altogether, a good read and highly recommended.
Oismiffy
Jun 04, 2012 Oismiffy rated it really liked it

I love naval fiction, and most of this book meets my remarkably low standards ( it just has to have a sail and a cannon), but I have to say the end of this book was completely pointless. I think maybe the author knew what his characters had to do, but run out of interesting ways to do it. My cat could have written it better!!
Jim
Jun 11, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: sea-stories
This is one of the better volumes in the Kydd series. It has just enough excitement with storms and battles, but also a lot more development of the main characters. There's plenty of history as we follow the British and French everywhere from Egypt to Australia. As always, I'm looking forward to the next one.
Burt
Aug 18, 2007 Burt rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adventure, naval interests
Shelves: age-of-sail
Julian Stockwin is clearly the successor to Patrick O'Brian.

Stockwin's writing is colorful, descriptive, and he brings his characters and their settings to life.
Mike
Sep 20, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
OK - not as much shipboard action as some of the others in the series.
Subham Bhowmick
Subham Bhowmick rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
JonesPeep
JonesPeep marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Matthew Luttman
Matthew Luttman marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
hunter
hunter marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Nigel Bentley
Nigel Bentley rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2016
Steve Cenedella
Steve Cenedella marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jack Sakalauskas
Jack Sakalauskas rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Jeff Flamisch
Jeff Flamisch marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Charlotte Graham
Charlotte Graham rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • Ramage's Prize (The Lord Ramage Novels, #5)
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 17 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc ...more
More about Julian Stockwin...

Kydd Sea Adventures (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)
  • Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • The Admiral's Daughter (Kydd Sea Adventures, #8)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • Invasion (Kydd Sea Adventures, #10)
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)