Start by marking “Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)” as Want to Read:
Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)

Command (Kydd Sea Adventures #7)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this seventh book of the series, Thomas Kydd is master ofhis ownbrig-sloop Teazer and he must race the clock to make her battle-ready to defend Malta against Barbary pirates and the French, who are frantically trying to rescue the remnants of their army in the Levant. Suddenly, peace isdeclared, and the young captain finds himself ashore. To make ends meet, he agrees to ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by McBooks Press (first published October 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Command

Ken
Reasonable read, ran out of steam towards the end.
James
I had written a review for this book, but Goodreads seems to disagree with me and has decided not to post it for some strange and utter reason. So, maybe it's fates way of telling me to re-write and better it. Well, whatever, here goes. This book is yet another brilliant addition to what is fast becoming - if it hasn't already secured such a place - my favourite sea-faring series. This book see's Kydd become commander of his own vessel and all that that entails.

Plot: Four Stars

The first half of
Hisham1969
Robin Carter
The seventh book in a long running series that just seems to get better and better the characters keep growning and flowing with their ever expanding plot lines and movement into the ever larger arena of their times, as they and their careers / fortunes grow so do the scale and power of the troubles they encounter gone is the innocence to the plot a new origionality pervades the whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

This for me is the most
Rupert Matthews
I enjoyed this book. As with anything in a series it followed on from before and was leading on to something to come, but it still stood pretty good on its own. A nice plot with a couple of unexpected twists, generlly good characters (though one was a bit cardboard). on the whole a good adventure yarn.
J.
Boy, I wish I had a nickel for every Naval fiction review or book blurb that included, "successor to Patrick O'Brian". Which, of course, no one is, as O'Brian is truly unique in the genre, as C.S Forester is the archetype of the genre. Stockwin is a worthy successor to, say, Alexander Kent (Douglas Reeman). which is just fine with me. The Kidd series is a good and entertaining one and this is a strong entry with the always good "fitting out one's first command" angst, plus lots of other action. ...more
Gordon Chambers
Stockwin is a very proficient author. I have read this book previously, but out of order with the rest. It's a much better read when read in sequence. The authors knowlege of the handling of these mighty wooden sailing ships is amazing. It was well researched and the story was good, although I thought it lost momentum in the second half. Altogether, a good read and highly recommended.
Oismiffy

I love naval fiction, and most of this book meets my remarkably low standards ( it just has to have a sail and a cannon), but I have to say the end of this book was completely pointless. I think maybe the author knew what his characters had to do, but run out of interesting ways to do it. My cat could have written it better!!
Jim
This is one of the better volumes in the Kydd series. It has just enough excitement with storms and battles, but also a lot more development of the main characters. There's plenty of history as we follow the British and French everywhere from Egypt to Australia. As always, I'm looking forward to the next one.
Burt
Aug 18, 2007 Burt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventure, naval interests
Shelves: age-of-sail
Julian Stockwin is clearly the successor to Patrick O'Brian.

Stockwin's writing is colorful, descriptive, and he brings his characters and their settings to life.
Mike
OK - not as much shipboard action as some of the others in the series.
John Mcculloch
John Mcculloch marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Les Price
Les Price marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Tony
Tony added it
Nov 02, 2014
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Jonas
Jonas added it
Oct 25, 2014
Thom Swennes
Thom Swennes marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 15 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc ...more
More about Julian Stockwin...
Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1) Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2) Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3) Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5) Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)