Start by marking “Jalna” as Want to Read:

Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna #7)

Winner of the 1927 Atlantic-Little, Brown Award

First published in 1927, this international bestseller is now back in print. Jalna is the first book in the popular series about a Canadian family named Whiteoak, who live in southern Ontario in a red-brick house called Jalna. In Jalna, the unforgettable family makes its first appearance. Two grandsons cause tumult when the
Published January 1st 2006 by Dundurn (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Jalna, please sign up.

This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Janet Barclay
Jul 24, 2011 Janet Barclay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janet by: my mother
Shelves: canadian
I read and enjoyed the entire Whiteoaks of Jalna series as a teenager, beginning with The Building of Jalna and finishing with Centenary at Jalna. When my mother passed away in 1996, I discovered that somewhere along the way she had acquired the full set in paperback. Since I had always intended to read them again some day, I took them home and added them to my own library.

This summer, I decided to re-enter the world of Jalna, but this time I'm reading the books in the order they were written, r
So I finally gave in and started reading this series. My mother has been going on and on about Jalna since I can remember and she finally bought this one for me at a used books store, because she "just knows that I will love it".

And of course I was forced to admit that mom was right and I fell in love with the Whiteoaks. This one (the 7th in the series chronologically) has a lot of characters and juicy drama and it also got me curious about what happened before. So now I'm working my way throug
Nov 26, 2009 Edith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the whole series as a teenager. Even though I haven't read them in years I still give 5 stars. Just for the memory. I was leaving with the Whiteoak when I read them for sure.
Aug 19, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A completely new view on Canadians! Who knew about the passion and the drama? This really does read more like a Southern (mildly) gothic tale with multiple generations and hangers-on living in one grand house. Bachelor uncles and lower class daughter-in-laws, all reveling in their eccentricities, more like something out of Truman Capote or Erskine Caldwell then the land of Anne of Green Gables. After only having read The Building of Jalna, it was interesting and satisfying to see Adeline as an i ...more
Maria Rihte
Funny and interesting to re-read something from your childhood. I remember going to the library in Helsinki and the the first book suggested by the librarian in the adult-book-department was the Jalna series by Mazo de la Roche. Little did I know that I would be living, for a while, not too far from the original Jalna.
Interesting how life surprises you.
I do understand why I loved the series madly when I was a younger…and I enjoyed the re-read experience for nostalgic reasons.
Kathy  Petersen
Jalna is totally absorbing. Like all the Jalna novels, it is well written and its characters well drawn. De La Roche makes the landscape here is especially lyrical, the multifaceted plot especially interesting, and the many characters of the Whiteoak family distinctive and, not always attractive, but generally sympathetic and, well, real. The rascally matriarch celebrates her 100th birthday, and while no completely "happy endings" are in sight, Jalna and the Whiteoaks endure.
Mar 27, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JALNA is a beautifully written story set in Ontario, Canada. There are lyrical descriptions of Nature, for the Whiteoaks live on a large country estate with horses, dogs, livestock and even a pet parrot! As early as chapter two we learn the family history which is dominated by Adeline Whiteoak, now a 99-year-old grandmother. But the real appeal lies in the shocking, semi-incestuous relationships of her grandchildren. In many ways JALNA qualifies as soap opera, but it's a magnificent one on a par ...more
Carolyn Agosta
Since this is the book that began the series, I'm surprised to find that I didn't enjoy it all that much. Okay, I can understand that the author got better as time went by, but the point is, THIS book was what made people interested in reading more and I just don't really see why. It was only OKAY. I had originally intended to read all the books in order of their events (she wrote them out of chronological order), but probably won't finish now.
Mar 25, 2016 Oana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very beautiful book! Not the kind that become an obsession, but it is a book that touches your soul. The writer is very good, her style is so fresh and real that makes you feel like you are in the book too! And you have the opportunity to get inside the mind of all the Jalna's family members, to become each of them, to understand and feel like they do. For some pages you are an old women of 99 years and next you become a 9 years little boy.
I recommend this book.
Wendy Bertsch
Oct 20, 2015 Wendy Bertsch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fiction series follows the Whiteoaks family through about 100 years of their history living at Jalna, a property located near Lake Ontario, just west of Toronto. I read all 16 of the books one summer, when I was about seventeen years old. And I enjoyed every one.
Each character is well developed, and the Ontario location is depicted faithfully. I still plan to track down the estate that inspired the books one day.
Annette Hart
Its been a long time since I read the Whiteoak saga and I am enjoying a revisit to the series. It's interesting how some of your view points change and some don't as you get older. In my teens I was very interested in the Piers/Pheasant romance but now I find Piers irritating. I also have a lot more sympathy and interest in Finch. I used to feel sorry for Alayne but now I feel irritated with her and sorry for Renny! But I still enjoy a good book version of a soap.
Jul 26, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, romance readers
I read this book in Jr Hi and escaped into another time and place. I have read it more times than I can count and eventually bought the entire set at garage sales, booksales and the internet. I want to be part of the Whiteoak family! I especially enjoyed it because my father was from Ontario Canada.
Meg Ulmes
Jan 08, 2012 Meg Ulmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was the first to be published and its popularity started the Jalna series. After reading it I can understand why. So far, it is the strongest book so far. It is has the most serious plot and the most carefully drawn characters and an open ending that obviously invites more books. I'm ready to read the next one....
Aug 28, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lots of excitement in the Whiteoak family in this one. This was actually the first one written and I can see how she's developed the characters in her later writing. A little soap operaish but an enjoyable read. This is the first one I wouldn't recommend for kids, some more mature themes going on.
Bea Alden
Good wholesome family story - read it more than once - compare to a good macaroni cheese casserole.
Original publication date was way, way back. 1920s or '30s.
Jo-Lane Birkigt
Jul 12, 2012 Jo-Lane Birkigt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable, wish I'd known this one wasn't the first in the series, will have to see if I can get the rest.
Jul 28, 2016 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant, slow but poignant novel of India/England/Canada. Perfect for summer reading. I'm starting some of her others (not a sequential series).
Sep 26, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this whole series when I was a teenager and loved the books ever since. I have tried to find them in used bookstores and hope to someday complete the collection.
Fran Piercey
Jul 30, 2010 Fran Piercey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-saga
A family saga set in Southern Ontario. Won Best Novel in 1927, th author went on to write 15 more following the Whiteoak family.
Aug 04, 2007 Amma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic minds
Shelves: ammahasread
this is a family history that starts around year 1900.

If you are depressed then this is an excellent read that takes you far away from the depressing troubles of the world today.
Aline rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Nikki rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Sinikka rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Camelia rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Irmgaal rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Nicoleta rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Denise Covey
Denise Covey rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2010
Kathy Edinger
Kathy Edinger rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Ana Carolina
Ana Carolina rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Jalna Chronology? 1 11 Jun 27, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Rules of Engagement
  • More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)
  • Cold Comfort: A Detective Barry Gilbert Mystery (Detective Barry Gilbert Mysteries)
  • Barometer Rising
  • Dressing Up for the Carnival
  • The Devil May Care: Fifty Intrepid Americans and Their Quest for the Unknown
  • Martin Sloane
  • A Winter's Love
  • Skin Divers
  • How Happy to Be
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Jacaranda Vines
  • No New Land
  • Heaven is Small
  • The 13 Clocks; and, The wonderful O
  • The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • In a Glass House
Mazo de la Roche, born Mazo Louise Roche, was the author of the Jalna novels, one of the most popular series of books of her time.

The Jalna series consists of sixteen novels that tell the story of the Canadian Whiteoak family from 1854 to 1954, although each of the novels can also be enjoyed as an independent story. In the world of the Whiteoaks, as in real life, people live and die, find success
More about Mazo de la Roche...

Whiteoaks of Jalna (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Building Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #1)
  • Morning at Jalna (Whiteoaks Of Jalna, #2)
  • Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3)
  • Young Renny (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #4)
  • Whiteoak Heritage (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #5)
  • Whiteoak Brothers (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #6)
  • Whiteoaks Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #8)
  • Finch's Fortune (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #9)
  • The Master of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #10)
  • Whiteoak Harvest (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #11)