Start by marking “Coffee: A Dark History” as Want to Read:
Coffee: A Dark History

Antony Wild

Coffee: A Dark History

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  22 reviews
COFFEE TRADER and historian Antony Wild delivers a rollicking history of the most valuable legally traded commodity in the world after oil--and an industry that employs one hundred million people throughout the world. From obscure beginnings in East Africa in the fifteenth century as a stimulant in religious devotion, coffee became an imperial commodity, produced by poor t ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Norton, W.W.

To ask other readers questions about Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee

Kara

For me, the best part was the beginning when Wild suggested that when the Bible talks about Adam and Eve eating something that made them more aware, able to open their eyes, making them think better and faster – it was referring to the coffee bean. I like this theory!

Then onwards to the history/science that concludes with the fact that coffee’s true beginnings are very, very murky with nothing concrete until the Sufi’s writings of the middle ages document them drinking this odd drink that meantt
Tyler True
Coffee: A Dark History is a great feat of story-telling and of research. I will look for an opportunity to buy this book. Antony Wild thrillingly pursues the hard-to-isolate history of coffee rather than succumbing to “the number of myths that are ritually aired by the coffee trade to keep the curious at bay” (pg. 17).

Biology and chemistry, anthropology and linguistics, history and government, theology of all kinds and economics, painfully real or theoretical – these are but some of the fields t
Mr_wormwood
I enjoyed this, most memorable part was when the author makes a case for the coffee bean as an evolutionary catalyst, sort of how Terrence McKenna made the argument that the ancestors of Homo Erectus benefited psychologically and socially from ingesting psychedelic mushrooms, except its caffeine and not Psilocybin that initiates the great leap. It is an intriguing hypothesis backed up by the fact that fossils of some of mankind's oldest ancestors have been found in the same Ethiopian highlands w ...more
Just A. Bean
It's certainly informative! On any number of topics, one of which was coffee, but many of which felt as though they were whatever pet subject that caught the author's attention that chapter, most of which were at least tangentially related to coffee, sure, and about several of which I was left wondering.

Peculiar sidetracks about the Freemasons aside, this was one of the better written (the author has some wonderfully funny turns of phrase) and better researched coffee books I've read. It might b
Richard
I've been thinking about reading a book about coffee when I saw Coffee: A Dark History at our local library, so I took a chance.

A Dark History sets out to explore the origin of the coffee plant, how and who started drinking coffee and it's spread through out the world to became one of the most important commodity. In addition, the author shows the devastating effect the coffee crop (and policies around coffee) has had on countries and people (African slave trade - North South issues) that provi
Norain
It was not that thick but halfway through it, I had to put it aside. I would not say the narration was bad. It just had the tendency to wander off to other things, so you got not only about coffee and its rival tea but also Napoleon, Sufism, goat and apple berries, Starbucks, capitalism in America, Monsanto… And oh yes, don’t forget St Helena.

But I did not abandon the book altogether, thanks to the experience of reading Consuming Passions: Leisure and Pleasure in Victorian Britain which was not
Jeff
This was quite a fascinating book. The author has a very quirky sense of humor and a good writing style that I enjoyed. I had to read a number of passages aloud to friends and family as I went through. The author does need to calm down a bit though, as the first few chapters feel like he has imbibed a bit too much of this beverage and he is on a caffeinated romp zipping through this subject and that subject back and forth seemingly at random, sometimes even within the same paragraph.

I definitely
Cody
Great history and better writing. Looks at coffee history with a special emphasis on justice. Author is unapologetic about taking significant detours to dwell on subjects he is especially fascinated by, including Napoleon, the isle of St. Helena, and Rimbaud. I enjoyed it a lot. There is unmistakable axe-grinding here, but, if you know how to read history, that shouldn't be a problem.
Jamie Burgess
This one was a little slow to get through. I'm much more interested in the social history of food and the culture surrounding than the historical background or economic view, which was presented by this book. But it did give me some of the information that I wanted to know about the history of coffee.
Leo Africanus
Seemingly written in a frenetic caffeine-fuelled state, the book contains far too many rambling tangents and a sprinkling of horrendous factual errors (especially when explaining Islamic terminology e.g. confusing the sunnah with the Quran).

However the first couple of chapters demand attention as they chart the Chinese inspired path of coffee under Arab and then Ottoman auspices to the gates of Vienna only for secular Turkey to dismiss its 400 year coffee drinking history in favour of tea.

Readi
Amy
NF
308 pages

Oh coffee, how I enjoy drinking you! Very interesting to know where you come from. I learnt a lot about the cultivation of coffee and the history it installed. What an eye opening account of coffees' history. Along with the trading and economics and science and cultures that co-inside with its' history, I learned about the civilizations that were a part of it. Coffe was very important in world trade for over 500 years and still is today.
Petra
A 3.5 star book. There's a lot of interesting information here about coffee and the coffee trade.
The author does run off on mainly unrelated tangents occasionally and some of the history of the Coffee Traders, with all the names and dates and ship names, is quite dry and detailed but, on the whole, this is an interesting look at coffee history from ancient times to the present, including Fair Trade coffees.

Zoe
This book confirms my view that Starbucks is evil and reinforces my decision not to patronize them. Wild does an excellent job of pointing out the economic webs around coffee, and how, as usual, it is the poor farmers who suffer the most from price fluctuations, weather issues, and World Bank policies. It is worth the read, although if you are already tending toward depressed, it won't cheer you up at all.
Angel
Excerpt from my review at my blog, The Itinerant Librarian:

"Coffee is one of my favorite topics. I enjoy the drink, and I like reading about the lore and history around it, so I thought this would be a good book on the topic. It was not to be."

Visit my blog to read the rest. Link: http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...
Tim
Does what it says it does. But in the midst of the coffee discussion, Wild goes off on long tangents about St. Helena and a variety of other topics. He looks longingly back at the 19th century world (an English one) and disparages global (American) capitalism. Of course, there is quite a lot to disparage...
Elizabeth
Oct 29, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
This book is misleading- title seems interesting but is really quite a bore! I only finished it because it was the only English language book available in Zambia where I suffered the misfortune of running out of books.
Gerard Walsh
Interesting political, economic and social history of coffee and a good introduction to the varieties and preparations of the drink.
Aaron
Great history, interesting social commentary, but let down by amateur hour regarding the health effects of caffeine and/or coffee.
Eric
A very well written, fascinating look at the second most traded commodity in the world.
May Khaw
Mostly skimmed it. Not as interesting as I expected.
Bradley Woods
Bradley Woods marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
echo
echo marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Trejon
Trejon marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Zara Vaccari
Zara Vaccari marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • The Coffee House: A Cultural History
  • Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World
  • God in a Cup: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Coffee
  • Beans: A History
  • The True History of Chocolate
  • Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
  • Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light
  • The Potato: How the Humble Spud Rescued the Western World
  • A Social History of Tea
  • Brewing Justice: Fair Trade Coffee, Sustainability, and Survival
  • The Tiger in the House: A Cultural History of the Cat
The Perfect Afternoon Tea Recipe Book The Perfect Afternoon Tea Book The East India Company: Trade and Conquest from 1600 The East India Company - Book of Tea Improving Inventory Record Accuracy