Start by marking “Sworn to Protect” as Want to Read:
Sworn to Protect

Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Border Patrol Agent Danika Morales has sworn to protect the southern borders of the U.S., but that oath has cost her dearly. She has paid a heavier price than most: her husband, Toby, was murdered two years ago trying to help the very immigrants Danika was responsible for sending back to Mexico -- and his murder has never been solved. Now a string of attacks and arrests le...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 431 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Center Point (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sworn to Protect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sworn to Protect

Sandy Duke
This book was tough for me to read and tough to rate. I live in a small town with an ag-based economy that relies on immigrants (legal and undocumented) to get the job done and put food on America's tables. Strong feelings about immigration abound.

Sworn to Protect forced me to look at immigration from the perspective of Border Patrol agents who are sworn to protect our borders. I realize that not all BP agents are as compassionate as most portrayed in this novel, but I am sure that many do stru...more
Renee
Contemporary suspense fiction isn't something I go out of my way to read but I really loved DiAnn Mills' Texas Legacy series so I decided to give her latest release, Sworn to Protect a try and I am so glad I did! Not only was it full of suspense and a hint of romance, it covered a totally new aspect that I have never read about in romance, the United States Border Patrol. I loved that I learned what it takes to be a BP agent and DiAnn Mills made me want to dig deeper to learn what the "real" peo...more
Larik
Amazing captivating writing!!! Had me so deep in the story that I just couldnt wait till morning to finish it.
All characters were developed well. Danika was a perfection of strength and honesty!! I felt really bad about Sandra. Alex a picture of compassion and patience kept me wishing for more parts with him. I absolutelly loved his mom and I hope in the future I will treat my son same way, instead of rallying for him like a mother hen. Amazing woman!!
Jacob is probably the character I felt for...more
Crystal
DiAnn Mills really scored a home run (hey it's baseball season now) with Sworn to Protect. It has a strong female protagonist, a blurred social/humanitarian issue and a male to counteract and balance the female lead. As for issues, it doesn't get much more blurred than immigration. I love how this book shows both sides - the reason there are laws (drug dealers and other assorted problems) and the humanitarian side - Mexicans just wanting a new life and wanting to escape their own suffocating cou...more
ReviewsByMolly
Apr 07, 2010 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: FIRST, CFBA and DiAnn Mills
Okay. Seriously folks. I have to tell you this. CSI, NYPD and all those crime dramas don't even come close to DiAnn Mills' books! Sworn to Protect is book 2 in her Call of Duty series and it's possibly even better than Breach of Trust (which you can see my review of by clicking here) with the new characters and plot.

From page one, DiAnn had me, hook-line-and-sinker. I was truly drawn into the riveting, fast-pased scenes of these Border Patrol agents. A story that is filled with both heartache,...more
Katie
I wasn’t really sure as to how many stars to give it…I mean, I liked the story, but it wasn’t a suspenseful book (You know who the bad people are early on in the book) and I was disappointed in the romantic part of the story. DiAnn’s first book in the “Call of Duty” series, Breach of Trust, was more thrilling, in my opinion. But this book was a good read.

As I mentioned, there wasn’t a lot of suspense in this book (Unlike Breach of Trust, which kept you guessing who the bad guy was till the last...more
Cindy
Danika Morales is a hard working Border Patrol Agent. An agent so conscious of keeping her daughter safe, that she takes her uniform to work to dress, so her neighbors won't realize what her line of work is. Of course Danika has reason to be concerned about safety, her husband was murdered two years earlier and his murderer has never been caught. That plus the threats that she has received. It seems every illegal immigrant she catches has a message for her about a contract that has been put out...more
Linda
McAllen, TX. Border Patrol Officer Danika Morales, the only female agent in the BP, took the oath to protect our borders at the Rio Grande River. Little did she know it would come with a great personal price–the death of her husband, Toby, leaving her to single parent her deaf daughter, Tiana.

Two years later, she has no intentions of leaving the Border Patrol, and is ever more vigilant in her job, so that she can also help solve her husband’s death, even though there is a price on her head.

She d...more
Virginia
Border patrol agent Danika Morales still struggles to recover from the death of her husband two years before. Alex, a handsome emergency room doctor, seems like just the person to help her heal move forward with life. But then Danika discovers that a contract has been put out on her life by the people who smuggle undocumented immigrants across the border – the very people who murdered her husband. Though she can hardly believe it, the evidence begins to reveal that the people responsible are ins...more
Tamara
SWORN TO PROTECT is the second book in the Call of Duty Series by DiAnn Mills and it does not disappoint. Danika Morales is a border patrol agent who puts her life on the line everyday she shows up for duty. Still trying to comprehend the murder and betrayal of her husband two years prior, Danika’s life revolves around her young daughter and the job she’s devoted to. When her life is threatened and her husband’s family is attacked, she is convinced more than ever that her husband’s death was not...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
Border Patrol Danika Morales' husband was murdered and it's still unsolved. Nobody knows what happened. It's a closed case. But for Danika, she needs the mystery to be solved.

But as Danika starts getting closer to the truth forces conspire against her to keep her in the dark. She quickly learns that this mystery may be bigger than even she imagined.

Somebody in Border Patrol is leaking top-secret information and Danika and her family are at the top of the list.

She turns to local doctor Alex Price...more
Paul Goble
Border Patrol agent Danika Morales is the target of violent attacks, and everyone around her is in danger. Although this is book 2 in the Call of Duty series, each book in the series can be read without knowledge of the others.

Sworn to Protect is primarily an exploration of some of the issues around illegal immigration. I didn't gain profound new insights, but I did find concrete illustrations of the arguments on several sides of the debate.

What I liked: The characters ask the right questions ab...more
Judy
Received my copy of "Sworn to Protect" on 5/29/2010.

Thanks to Goodreads First Reads giveaways and Tyndale Fiction.

This book was great. It gives the view from four characters. The main characters are Danika Morales who is a Border Patrol Agent and Dr Alex Price who is a Dr at the local medical center who believes in helping all humans, even the undocumented immigrants.

Secondary characters are Sandra, Danika's nanny and housekeeper. Sandra is not legal but had false papers. She cares for Tiana who...more
Ellen
Several times through this book I was going to set it aside and not finish it. I never felt fully engaged with it or that I'd been drawn close to the characters. It setting and top is one of the border patrol and the protector of the US borders. While it's not one that I felt a connection with, it was very understandable and did give me pause to consider this situation that many do live in.

It was an 'ok' read as the 2 stars indicate. Without spoiling the story, I found the insertion and removal...more
Kw
A very interesting and informative look at the Border Patrol and its
work, as well as the dangers they face every day. The author doesn't appear to take sides in the debate about immigration laws, other than to infer that changes are needed.
The story is full of high drama and terror, and I felt some of the
situations were underplayed, but it was entertaining.
Sandra Lassiter
Ms. Mills creates great cast of characters for a very good story. Danika is a dedicated agent and a great mom to her hearing-impaired daughter. Alex is a dedicated doctor with a true heart for people, especially those who are hurting. I found myself rooting for them through all the difficulties and misunderstandings. The story line was good, but—on the down side—I figured out the “bad guy” VERY early on I hate it when that happens. I did have a problem with the religious side of the book as Ms....more
Diane A Brown
Sometimes making the right choices gets the wrong results.

In a man's world of Border Patrol agents along the Rio Grande, Danika Mills faces more than just the illegals. When the past and the present intermingle, the truth becomes harder and harder to decipher. Searching for clarity in her husbands death Danika's path leads into unexpected and perilous directions.

DiAnn's writing is strong, detailed and vivid. You can see the story unfold as you anticipate the next chapter and encounter surprised...more
Stacy
I read the first Call of Duty series earlier and then saw that this one was available for lending through the Kindle lending program, one per month. So I downloaded this one for March and enjoyed it! Have to check and see if the next in this series is also available to lend... I'm enjoying Prime!
Rachel
Again, DiAnn Mills surprised me. Sworn to Protect is about Border Agent Danika Morales. Her husband was killed the same day she discovered that they shared very different views regarding immigration, however, the same individuals that sought her husband now seek her.

There is an interesting discussion on immigration laws that takes place in the novel, and about Biblical position on immigration. Although it did not treat the topic as deeply as it could have, it still made me think, and honestly,...more
Wyndy
An interesting look at a different group of police, the border patrol. Well written, suspenseful, good development of characters. Although it's an area of law enforcement that isn't well publicized, I found the actions and attitudes of the characters believable. It was interesting to see that aspect of work where there would be a tug between sympathy and law-breaking, who was the real immigrant and who was the drug carrier. I learned some about the profession as well as enjoyed the suspense myst...more
Diana (Bever) Barber
I liked this one better than "Breach of Trust" by the same author. This one is about a Border Patrol agent whose husband lost his life aiding illegal aliens. There is intrigue (what is going on with her brother-in-law? her niece?). We know a lot of things that the protagonist doesn't, but there are still plenty of surprises for us, too. The romance? Sigh, it gets a bit goofy, but it's a sight better than nasty language and bedroom scenes. If that's your style, you'll enjoy this adventure.
Kimberly Mauldin
Jun 23, 2012 Kimberly Mauldin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults and teens
Recommended to Kimberly by: no one
This is the story of Danica Morales, a border patrol agent, who has the murder of her husband leaving her with a lot of unanswered questions and to find out why the case has yet to be solved. She is also determined to figure out why her brother-in-law, also a border patrol agent, is trying to prevent her from uncovering the answers. In this battle for faith and family, Mills provides another gripping tale of "I can't put this down" book that is full of twists and turns.
Immigration is a tough issue, and the Border Patrol is often a hot topic for many. DiAnn Mills manages to show both sides of the fence (no pun intended…yeah, well, maybe.) DiAnn Mills humanizes the issue: the reality of the laws in America, the struggle of many illegal immigrants, and the balance we must find as human beings. The book has action and a few twists I wasn’t expecting. I look forward to the third book in this series!
Susan
DiAnn Mills has wonderful suspense and romance in her books. I also like the fact that she addresses social issues important to all of us. Not only was this book entertaining, it makes you look inside yourself at how you feel about things like illegal immigrants in our country. She looked at both sides of this issue. This is the second in this series and this is also a stand alone book.
Tammie
I am a so glad I won this book...definitely one that caught my eye and I wanted to read.

Does anyone suggest that I read "Book 1" first?? Is this a continuing story or just one with similar characters that I can just jump into? Thanks for letting me know.

Should be interesting..i will let you know when it arrives!
Laura Chambers
Tara
Another fabulous book by DiAnn Mills. I have continued to be impressed by her writing. Couldn't put the book down - it was awesome! Highly recommend.
Holly
A really good story. I liked the characters and the fact that the author probably stayed too close to real life for our Border Patrol and illegals trying to make a better life for themselves.
Jacquelyn
This story about a woman border control agent was well written, however it seemed a little political in places concerning illegal immigrants. Our laws need more enforcement and reform.
June Guymon
A thrilling book that kept me engaged till the last page. I loved it! A story that was well written that discusses the problems of immigration in an informative and yet engaging way.
  • Don't Look Back (Women of Justice, #2)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Guardians of Justice, #2)
  • Licensed for Trouble (PJ Sugar, #3)
  • Nightshade (Discarded Heroes, #1)
  • Accused (Pacific Coast Justice, #1)
DiAnn Mills Bio

DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She currently has more than fifty-five books published.

Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists and have won placements through the American Christian Fiction Writer’s Carol Awards and Inspirational Reader’s Choice awards. DiAnn won the Christy Award in 2010 and 2011.

DiAnn i...more
More about DiAnn Mills...
Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1) Attracted to Fire The Chase (Crime Scene: Houston, #1) Leather and Lace (Texas Legacy #1) A Woman Called Sage