Start by marking “Cold Pursuit” as Want to Read:
Cold Pursuit

Cold Pursuit

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  59 reviews
From the Edgar Award-winning author of Silent Joe, a new hard-hitting thriller of murder, vengeance, and secret passions that will keep readers spellbound.

Homicide cop Tom McMichael is on the rotation when an 84-year-old city patriarch named Pete Braga is found bludgeoned to death. Not good news, especially since the Irish McMichaels and the Portuguese Bragas share a viole
Published April 2nd 2003 by Hyperion (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Pursuit

ßk☼lvr
*** LISTENED TO PATRICK LAWLOR / AUDIOBOOK ***

This story was actually pretty good! It moved very quickly, had some twist and turns I never saw coming, and I totally dug the main character...♥ Like reading an indepth, mysterious game of...

Plus being read by Patrick...TOTAL BONUS!!!!

Marleen
Although Cold Pursuit didn’t entirely convince me content wise, I remain a huge fan of Jefferson Parker. I’ve read four his books so far and he’s fast becoming another favorite of mine. I love detective stories with the emphasis on enigmatic and moody characters; in this case Tom McMichael is great (not too moody...). Loved those moments of self-reflection. And above all, I have a weak spot for great police procedurals.
Here, in Cold Pursuit, millionaire Pete Braga has been found bludgeoned to d
David Carr
T. Jefferson Parker (and Thomas Perry) occupy the same tier as Michael Connelly, though Connelly's mastery is somewhat more reliable. Parker's novels The Blue Hour, Red Light, Silent Joe, and Black Water preceded this one, and California Girl and The Fallen followed it. That productive period (1999-2006) tapped a vein of fine, steadily readable narrative, engaging detective work, always with a personal jagged edge and a tendency toward emotional flaws of the kind that bring shame to the cop. Fre ...more
Maddy
RATING: 3.75

At 84 years old, Pete Braga has amassed more than his share of enemies, both professionally and personally. When he's found bludgeoned to death in his own home, there are no shortage of suspects. He's been on the winning end of some nasty business deals. He's left certain key members of his family out of his will. He's been involved in some key projects that have huge political and financial ramifications. The person that seems most likely to be involved in the murder is Pete's nurse
Patrick
When Detective Thomas McMichael and his partner Hector Diaz solve not just one but at least three serious crimes, they do so in believable ways, with believable, albeit ambitiously rendered, complications. Neither cop is a moral exemplar, but both are good men who live by a code of honor. Even the bit players are given their moments in the sun, as when we learn that the medical examiner wears a "lucky" clip-on tie that he changes once a year, and that a glib young Port Commissioner has a grisly ...more
J
I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS EVEN IF THEY HAVE SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT THEM ON A FEED, EITHER.

San Diego is the setting for this contemporary crime story, in which homicide detective Tom McMichael is assigned the murder of a prominent self-made tycoon, Peter Braga, who was his grandfather's arch nemesis.

Turns out the Irish McMichaels and the Portuguese Bragas were both tuna fisher families two generations back, when Peter (the fresh vic) killed McMichael's grandfather, Franklin, over money after a l
Judith
Mystery featuring homicide detective Tom McMichael. McMichael catches the case when elderly Pete Braga is found beaten to death in his home. The twist: many years ago Braga had shot McMichael's grandfather in a dispute, and then McMichael's father was accused of beating Braga's son so badly that he ended up brain-damaged and has the mind of a ten-year-old. Family feud anyone? Many people suspect McMichael of not doing his job because the murder may seem like just desserts.

The first suspect is Sa
Yvonne Mendez
I very much enjoyed the mistery, especially since its based in San Diego where I live. He described the city and the streets very well. The only part I would take exception with is where he described surfers going all the way to the fence in the ocean that divides Mexico and U.S., he mentions how pretty Imperial Beach is and how ugly Tijuana looks.

On the other side of fence in the Tijuana side, you will see a neighborhood called Playas de Tijuana, which is an affluent neighborhood with very nic
Tim Warner
As usual, I write an indepth perceptive and terrific review, hit the wrong key and it vanishes. ok.... try again. I love this book. I have one chapter left. Parker is a cut above all others of his genre. His heroes have flaws but I love them by the time the book is halfway towards the end.

If I finish the book, then the pleasure will be over. So back to the final chapter....alas....

Ok. This guy, Parker is just plain good. Really good. Really, really good. Hopefully I won't hit the wrong key.

His h
Carole Murphy
Don't think I have ever read a T.Jefferson (Parker) novel before but after this one, I'll be poring over the shelves. I literally couldn't put this one down. The character were great and believable and the ending was a huge surprise. You won't be sorry you picked this up, believe me.
Phyllis
Next on the list of T J Parker detective novels -- this one better than the last couple of ones, mostly for the intricacy of the plot lines. There was a real surprise ending! In fact, I was so engrossed it took me only two days to read it, all 365 pages in hardback (fortunately, I had the time). This time it takes place in San Diego, and our "hero" is a police department detective (again) who at least is not suspected of the murder in question, but he gets romantically involved with two women co ...more
Jim
Good Parker - if you can get past the idea that a cop would be assigned to solve the murder of a guy who killed his grandfather many years ago.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This reminded me how much I enjoy thriller/mysteries and made me wish that I read them more often. I'm trying to finish up all the books I own or have borrowed from family (a never-ending process), so I don't get to the library that often anymore. And I only read this kind of thing from the library. I need to start going out of my way to go by and pick some up periodically.

It's been over six months since I read it, so details are hazy. I just remember that I liked the main characters, I was surp
Doug
I really wish he'd drop the series he's doing and get back to writing stand alone books, most of which are great. But at least he wrote some before he started on the series, so I can't complain too much. As a former resident of San Diego, his description of the weather and geography bring back memories. Good stuff.
Bob
ok mystery didn't care for the reader.
Judi
"McMichael said nothing for a long moment, thinking about the way the past forms the present, and how impossibly hard it was to change things once they were set in motion. Fifty years of hatred and vengeance born from a bad fishing trip and -- most likely -- two stubborn and hungry men who wouldn't back down until one of them was dead. And their children damaged in different ways, and their children still bickering over what happened and why and who was to blame."

My review here: http://mostlyfic
LJ
COLD PURSUIT - VG
T. Jefferson Parker – 14th book
When Homicide Sergeant Tom McMichael gets the call about Pete Braga's murder, he can't help feeling a bit of pleasure due to a long-standing family hatred. Still, McMichael is a cop and he intends to track down the killer. The pretty nurse looks like a good suspect. But McMichael is attracted to the nurse and his gut tells him that she's innocent.

This is story of relationships, police procedure, and good red herrings and surprises. It was a very g
Joyce

This is Parker at his best. San Diego homicide cop Tom McMichael is called in as primary in the brutal murder of an elderly man who has a troubling past history with McMichael's family. The more he learns, the more complications set in up to and including a relationship with the old man's young caretaker. The plot is complex and riveting, the characters fascinating. Hopefully he will write more about McMichael and his team.
Krystle Kouture
How Did This Book Find Me?: Picked it up at our local library book sale

What I enjoyed: Detective meets ex girlfriend was not nearly as typical as I was expecting, a nice surprise.

What I didn't like: It was boring and lacked suspense to me. Also, loose ends were not tied up.

Would I read more by this author: Not really interested
Janet
I enjoyed this book. But now I'm done and I'm not missing Tom McMichael. That's very much unlike me. I usually live for series and the ability to spend more time with the characters.

Parker's writing, though, was crisp and I see that he has written three books in the Merci Rayborn series. I'll put The Blue Hour on my To Read list.

Jessica
This novel had a lot of potential but just felt a little too busy.
Ron
I really liked this book. After reading 9 of T. Jeff's books, I think that this was one of his best murder mysteries.
He does an outstanding job in creating characters, love, hate and intertwined plots. It keeps you reading until the very end, which has several surprises.
Jmrathbone
There was nothing thrilling about this book. The author didn’t seem to want to get into the plat and then when he did it was very convoluted. Then, to top it off there was an implausible ending. This may be the last T. Jefferson Parker book I read.
Shannon
T. Jefferson Parker always captures the Southern California vibe. If you've lived there, you'll recognize this -- if not, take y word for it. In the case of Cold Pursuit, his characters are pitch perfect. Great mystery and well-drawn characters.
Ganesh
Its a really a good read... a cold pacy for the first 100 pages. hard to keep track of the story for that few pages but after that its a page turner. Parker maintained the suspense too good. definitely a good book to read.
Adam
Nov 21, 2008 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is about a California Homocide Detective. His name is Tom McMichael. He is involved in some very ddangerous murder cases and he has to be very careful if he wants to stay alive. Very suspenseful.
Vicki
Good suspense, fast paced, read. Parker kept me involved throughout. I was right on the murderer in this detective novel because nothing else fit. But the book is well plotted and twists well.
Brenda
I really like T. Jefferson Parker and this was a really good mystery. My only problem was the repeatedly foolish acts of the protagonist. But my guess is, it would make a really good screenplay.
Lorena Drapeau
i liked the plot EXCEPT WHY oh WHY does every crime/mystery novel feel like it has to have some kind of clandestine love affair in it? if i want to read a romance- i'll read a freakin romance!
Beth
Fairly entertaining mystery about a San Diego Detective and the murder of agruff 84 yr old former mayor and tuna fisherman. Was it the nurse? The detective? The lawyer. decent read
  • Requiem For a Glass Heart
  • The Forever Year
  • Lover's Lane (Twilight Cove, #1)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • The First Wife: A Novel of Suspense
  • Bull Street
  • Strip
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Kane: A Kane Novel
  • Shortcut Man
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Faithful Unto Death
  • The Prophet Motive
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • California Fire and Life
  • Blue City
  • The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #3)
  • Kind of Blue
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California
More about T. Jefferson Parker...
L.A. Outlaws (Charlie Hood, #1) California Girl Silent Joe The Blue Hour The Fallen