Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians

Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Chomsky is a global phenomenon . . . he may be the most widely read American voice on foreign policy on the planet."--"The New York Times Book Review"

"Ilan Pappe is Israel's bravest, most principled, most incisive historian."--John Pilger

Described by a UN fact-finding mission as "a deliberately disproportionate attack designed to punish, humiliate, and terrorize a civilia...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 242 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Haymarket Books (first published January 1st 2010)

The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen CorasantiMornings in Jenin by Susan AbulhawaGaza Writes Back by Refaat AlareerFast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. OlsonThe Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan Pappé
Books on the Israel Palestine Conflict
15th out of 180 books — 460 voters
The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan PappéPalestine by Jimmy CarterFast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. OlsonOrientalism by Edward W. SaidMornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa
Best Books about Palestine
6th out of 73 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Mohammed
As an Arab, I was surprised to read such a probity in a Western book regarding Israel/Arab conflicts. In my opinion, this book is very important to all Western people. They need to know the truth about what is happening in the middle east and especially in Palestine.

The book contains an excellent compilation of Noam Chomsky Illan Pappe articles, the two commentators which I have the absolute and utmost respect for. It is extremely rare to find such honest people.

My favorite chapter of the book...more
Zach Cohen
This work presents an enlightening combination of two of the most principled, informed, and perceptive voices on the Israel/Palestine conlict: Israeli historian Ilan Pappe and US linguist, dissident, and socal critic Noam Chomsky.

Gaza in Crises contains a series of relatively short but dense and informative essays and interviews by one or both authors. I find their insights to be highly complementary, as Chomsky generally speaks of the conflict after 1967, while Pappe has conducted extensive res...more
Serjeant Wildgoose
Ilan's book The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine was, for me, one of those rare books that absolutely cements a change of perception. I read it shortly after the disgraceful and murderous CAST LEAD and it shattered forever any sympathy I might have held for Israel's position in Palestine.
I bought and read this book on the basis of his previous writing and although I had heard of Chomsky, it was more of Pappé's views that I sought in doing so. Good thing, too.
Ilan writes with clarity and purpose and...more
Paul
When I first heard of this book, and indeed when I bought it, I naively thought that it was, like many of the other books titled 'Noam Chomsky &...', a collection of the thoughts of Noam Chomsky - whether that be interviews, speeches, letters etc.

After buying it, when I flicked through it I'll admit I was disappointed to find that it was far much more a combination of the works of Chomsky and someone I'd not heard of before, namely Israeli historian Ilan Pappé.
Normally the fact that the acad...more
Tom
Great compilation of recent articles by two prodigious commentators on the crisis in the Gaza Strip. Very good selection of writings, and a good primer for those who would like a better picture of what's happened in Gaza and Palestine in general in the past 10 years as well as the situation's historical roots. The only thing I found lacking was the interview of the authors - Chomsky and Pappe have some points of contention between them on issues such as the one-state versus two-state solution an...more
Aya
This book consists of 8 chapters, each one of these represents an interview or a dialogue with Naom Chomsky or/and Ilan Pappe. Both are well known knowledgeable Jewish academics.

From the title ‘Gaza in Crisis’, I thought the book describes in details what happened in the war on Gaza in 2009. However, the book takes the Palestinian issue as a whole, it describes the basics of the conflict, the US support for Israel, the ‘Ghettoization of Palestine’, the possible solutions to the conflict: one st...more
Richard
Disturbing account of how the US is preparted to support and finance Israeli colonialism and apartheid in Palestine. The encroachment on to Palestinian terrority continues unabated with no sanctions thereby making a fully functioning state impossible for these dispossessed people. The US & UN appear impotent and in thrall to whatever actions Israel takes to subdue and dominate Palestine. UN resolutions mean nothing and a democratic vote to elect a Palestinian Government is ignored if the 'wr...more
Liam Berry
While this collection of essays by and interviews with Chomsky and Pappe isn't always an easy read (Pappe's essay on the one-state solution lacks something of the gory realities that make Chomsky's Exterminate All The Brutes so compelling and engaging) but it is an extremely informative outline of both the history of the Israeli invasion of Palestine and the tactics the Israelis have since used to subjugate and murder the Palestinians while attempting to control media coverage of the atrocities...more
Lola
I could go on forever about just how insightful this book was, but I'm sure that that is something most people could tell it would be.

However, I must say that it was very -- excuse the informality -- kickass! Chomsky delivers as per usual, dealing blow by blow and striking down counter-arguments....which is not to negate Pappe, who was also amazing, of course. I am just more accustomed to Chomsky's writing and I love Chomsky so!

I read this book -- with many others -- in order to combat childhood...more
Shamam Murad
in all honesty, reading this has had me turning my back on what was once one of my favourite writers, Chomsky. there are several moments in the book where he's an apologist for israeli violence.

however, with every cloud comes a silver lining, Pappé. who has restored my faith and his chapters dropping relentless knowledge bombs. thank you Pappé.
Kathleen
Extremely interesting and informative. Any book that can inspire a strong emotional response and better understanding at the same time is worth reading and recommending. I certainly recommend this book.
Patrick Higgins
This book falls under the New Historian or Revisionist category. The authors do not even try to hide their obvious biases.
Nour Arafat
Great assortment of essays from both Chomsky and Illan Pape. They complement each other very well, and the selling point of this specific book is it is not a matter of opinion. They use FACTS to describe the suffering of the Palestinian people. Detailing war crimes, the Nakbeh, the GIANT political group that is AIPAC, and the United States role in turning a blind eye to much of the errors in Israel's treatment of the Palestinian people. A great read for anybody interested in the politics of US i...more
Samuel Wooil
3.5

A book that will make your blood boil the next time you see Israeli leaders talk about peace or Middle East's only democracy. In some ways the book is very informative - the chapters on Nakbah and Gaza's killing fields - indeed, sites of genocide - make it hard to put down the book. For now, I'm positive that any kind of sympathy I've held regarding Israel has left me.

Yet, the book could be so much better without the rhetoric that Noam Chomsky (usually a fan, but Ilan Pappe does a better job...more
Syed Asif
A refreshing take on one of history's most brutal crimes against humanity.

Ilan Pappe does a wonderful job at re-telling the past, and the violence that ensued with the Nakbah in 1948 and Israel's shocking denial.

A must-read for anyone who wants to develop a perspective about the 60+ year old conflict, and have an insight into the Gaza genocide.
Michele Pratusevich
Chomsky is a biased author, but he tries to back up his statements in this book with as many facts as possible. Interesting perspective on the Gaza crisis during the start of the blockade policies, and a must-read for Israeli-Palestinian conflict buffs.
Paul
An accessible, comprehensive and depressing introductory explanation of the culpability of Israel, the US and Europe surrounding the crisis in Gaza and the West Bank. Chomsky's arguments carry on the theme of his Propaganda Model to explain why attitudes in Israel and the US towards the Palestinians are so out of touch with the perception of the rest of the world, and Pappe provides some excellent contextual history. I'm a bit iffy on Chomsky's continued endorsement of the binational one state m...more
John Pappas
While the 2009 article, "Exterminate the Brutes" by Chomsky is undoubtedly the centerpiece of this collection, the remainder of the book provides context and analysis of the historiography, politics and violence between Israel and Palestine that the mainstream media often ignores. The format or structure of the book is its weakness, but the information about Israel's security issues and expansionist policies is indispensable.
Absar Ahmed Khan
Stimulative read. The historiography is done in an excellent way making things more crystal clear.

While most of the research in the book is usually termed as conspiracy theory in my circles, it is time for those people to broaden their outlook and find the need to look at the things and events in every academic way possible. This work of Chomsky and Pappe is an academic treasure.
Kim
Some excellent essays in here. A terrific introductory read, and yet also worth reading for those familiar with situation and history. The one weakness is the "interview" section, which is actually an accumulation of bits and pieces of correspondence pulled together into an interview format.
Casey Otto
Slow in the beginning but when it gets good it's hard to put down. Powerful, disturbing, and enlightening. Fizzles at the end much like the beginning but an overall good read and worth the time to educate yourself if you don't know much about the subject.
Kerry Fina
Gaza in Crisis is a succint and informative overview of the complex yet overtly propagandized US-Israeli-Palestinian relationship. Everyone should read this if only to glimpse truth where truth is so fleeting.
Doodlebugger Larry
What an eye opener into the the unsolvable Palestinian/Israeli conflict. The political games and atrocities committed are unbelievable. All I can say is that this conflict will not be resolved in my lifetime.
Sbulf
Molto utile per comprendere le origini (a partire dall'800), la situazione attuale e le possibili soluzioni del conflitto israelo-palestinese, sia su scala locale che internazionale. Da leggere.
Jake B
Excellent collection of essays by the two writers. Great book, whether you have no idea what's going on between Israel and Palestine, or if you are already well informed. Recommended.
Jeffrey Thiessen
A couple chapters are a bit dry/tough to fully grasp, but the 'Exterminate All the Brutes' essay leaves me no choice but to provide an auto-5 star rating.
Irene
Sharp analysis for readers at varying levels of familiarity with the Israel/Palestine conflict.
Chriss W-t
How did the world react.
Javeria
Javeria marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy
  • Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid
  • The Invention of the Jewish People
  • Palestinian Walks: Forays into a Vanishing Landscape
  • Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land, Revised and Updated
  • The Ayatollahs' Democracy: An Iranian Challenge
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order

“Hamas is regularly described as 'Iranian-backed Hamas, which is dedicated to the destruction of Israel.' One will be hard put to find something like 'democratically elected Hamas, which has long been calling for a two-state settlement in accord with the international consensus'—blocked for over 30 years by the US and Israel. All true, but not a useful contribution to the Party Line, hence dispensable.” 36 likes
“The new crimes that the US and Israel were committing in Gaza as 2009 opened do not fit easily into any standard category—except for the category of familiarity.” 22 likes