Start by marking “Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians” as Want to Read:
Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians

Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"Chomsky is a global phenomenon . . . he may be the most widely read American voice on foreign policy on the planet."--"The New York Times Book Review"

"Ilan Pappe is Israel's bravest, most principled, most incisive historian."--John Pilger

Described by a UN fact-finding mission as "a deliberately disproportionate attack designed to punish, humiliate, and terrorize a civilia
ebook, 1st Edition, 242 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Haymarket Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gaza in Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaza in Crisis

Riku Sayuj

Why we should not be taking sides on Israel-Palestine:

The Israeli Govt and the Palestinian Hamas both welcome violence as a chance to establish their authority.

That is why this cycle never ends:

The only thing predictable about the festering Israel-Palestine conflict is this:

A never-ending cycle:
- of repression by Israel
- followed by provocative acts by the Palestinians,
- and then a devastating military response and increased repression by Israel.

~ Jimmy Carter

The Israeli people and the Pales
Amr Hassan

كتاب قيم كعادة كتب تشومسكي , وأول مرة أقرأ لايلان بابه المؤرخ الاسرائيلي وهو كاتب له كتب عن تفضح جرائم ومذابح إسرائيل فى فلسطين .

الكتاب عبارة عن لقاءات ومحاضرات تدور معظمها حول غزة والحصار الذى فرض عليها ثم العدوان عليها فى 2008 .

من أهم ما جاء بالكتاب:

1 - مقال لإيلان بابه فى غاية الأهمية عن تاريخ التورط الأمريكي فى قضية فلسطين وأنها تعتمد على عدة مواريث من ضمنها :

المسيحيون الصهاينة والفكر الذى يعتقد ان عودة اليهود الى فلسطين سيعجل بعودة المسيح وان ملايين اليهود بعد معركة أرماجدون سيركعون اما الم
Mohammed
As an Arab, I was surprised to read such a probity in a Western book regarding Israel/Arab conflicts. In my opinion, this book is very important to all Western people. They need to know the truth about what is happening in the middle east and especially in Palestine.

The book contains an excellent compilation of Noam Chomsky Illan Pappe articles, the two commentators which I have the absolute and utmost respect for. It is extremely rare to find such honest people.

My favorite chapter of the book
Paul
When I first heard of this book, and indeed when I bought it, I naively thought that it was, like many of the other books titled 'Noam Chomsky &...', a collection of the thoughts of Noam Chomsky - whether that be interviews, speeches, letters etc.

After buying it, when I flicked through it I'll admit I was disappointed to find that it was far much more a combination of the works of Chomsky and someone I'd not heard of before, namely Israeli historian Ilan Pappé.
Normally the fact that the acad
Zach Cohen
This work presents an enlightening combination of two of the most principled, informed, and perceptive voices on the Israel/Palestine conlict: Israeli historian Ilan Pappe and US linguist, dissident, and socal critic Noam Chomsky.

Gaza in Crises contains a series of relatively short but dense and informative essays and interviews by one or both authors. I find their insights to be highly complementary, as Chomsky generally speaks of the conflict after 1967, while Pappe has conducted extensive res
Zanna
I had already read much of Chomsky's contribution to this is Hopes and Prospects, but Pappe's contributions were new to me. I was stunned to learn about the Nakbah, the ethnic cleansing of several areas of Palestine in 1948, and more by its erasure from Israeli history books. His discussion of the one-state solution movement is also essential reading.
Serjeant Wildgoose
Ilan's book The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine was, for me, one of those rare books that absolutely cements a change of perception. I read it shortly after the disgraceful and murderous CAST LEAD and it shattered forever any sympathy I might have held for Israel's position in Palestine.
I bought and read this book on the basis of his previous writing and although I had heard of Chomsky, it was more of Pappé's views that I sought in doing so. Good thing, too.
Ilan writes with clarity and purpose and
Aya
This book consists of 8 chapters, each one of these represents an interview or a dialogue with Naom Chomsky or/and Ilan Pappe. Both are well known knowledgeable Jewish academics.

From the title ‘Gaza in Crisis’, I thought the book describes in details what happened in the war on Gaza in 2009. However, the book takes the Palestinian issue as a whole, it describes the basics of the conflict, the US support for Israel, the ‘Ghettoization of Palestine’, the possible solutions to the conflict: one st
Pablo
Well, the main take away of this book is: if Palestine hadn't voted for the "wrong" government, the Hamas in 2006, things would had been much easier in regard to their conflict with Israel. The US financial and strategic support to Israel's apartheid is something that could very well end up costing Palestine their entire nation.

In the book Noam Chomsky and Ilan Pappé, the main sources of knowledge, go into detail about their opinions on: the war crimes, the Nakbeh, the AIPAC, the United States r
Patrick Higgins
This book falls under the New Historian or Revisionist category. The authors do not even try to hide their obvious biases.
Richard
Disturbing account of how the US is preparted to support and finance Israeli colonialism and apartheid in Palestine. The encroachment on to Palestinian terrority continues unabated with no sanctions thereby making a fully functioning state impossible for these dispossessed people. The US & UN appear impotent and in thrall to whatever actions Israel takes to subdue and dominate Palestine. UN resolutions mean nothing and a democratic vote to elect a Palestinian Government is ignored if the 'wr ...more
Liam Berry
While this collection of essays by and interviews with Chomsky and Pappe isn't always an easy read (Pappe's essay on the one-state solution lacks something of the gory realities that make Chomsky's Exterminate All The Brutes so compelling and engaging) but it is an extremely informative outline of both the history of the Israeli invasion of Palestine and the tactics the Israelis have since used to subjugate and murder the Palestinians while attempting to control media coverage of the atrocities ...more
Tom
Great compilation of recent articles by two prodigious commentators on the crisis in the Gaza Strip. Very good selection of writings, and a good primer for those who would like a better picture of what's happened in Gaza and Palestine in general in the past 10 years as well as the situation's historical roots. The only thing I found lacking was the interview of the authors - Chomsky and Pappe have some points of contention between them on issues such as the one-state versus two-state solution an ...more
Lola
I could go on forever about just how insightful this book was, but I'm sure that that is something most people could tell it would be.

However, I must say that it was very -- excuse the informality -- kickass! Chomsky delivers as per usual, dealing blow by blow and striking down counter-arguments....which is not to negate Pappe, who was also amazing, of course. I am just more accustomed to Chomsky's writing and I love Chomsky so!

I read this book -- with many others -- in order to combat childhood
Sham Al-Ghazali
in all honesty, reading this has had me turning my back on what was once one of my favourite writers, Chomsky. there are several moments in the book where he's an apologist for israeli violence.

however, with every cloud comes a silver lining, Pappé. who has restored my faith and his chapters dropping relentless knowledge bombs. thank you Pappé.
Kathleen
Extremely interesting and informative. Any book that can inspire a strong emotional response and better understanding at the same time is worth reading and recommending. I certainly recommend this book.
Terry Pearce
This is an outstanding account of the history and complexities of what has led up to the crisis in Gaza. Written before the most recent period of open war, it more or less predicts it, and explains very clearly the realities of what led to the current sorry state of affairs. It's a real eye opener, because the government of the US (and to a lesser extent the UK), and much of the media, have told a very different, very cynical and very false story for a long time. If most people people knew more ...more
Nour Arafat
Great assortment of essays from both Chomsky and Illan Pape. They complement each other very well, and the selling point of this specific book is it is not a matter of opinion. They use FACTS to describe the suffering of the Palestinian people. Detailing war crimes, the Nakbeh, the GIANT political group that is AIPAC, and the United States role in turning a blind eye to much of the errors in Israel's treatment of the Palestinian people. A great read for anybody interested in the politics of US i ...more
Gianni Costanzi
Oct 04, 2014 Gianni Costanzi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gianni by: Gabriele Benedetti
Ho letto questo libro su suggerimento di un amico che ha molto a cuore la condizione in cui vivono i Palestinesi da decenni, e devo dire che Noam Chomsky e Ilan Pappé fanno un lavoro egregio nel ricostruire l'evoluzione della storia di Israele e Palestina. Si ripercorrono tutte le fasi, dalla fondazione dello stato di Israele e dalla Nakba, ossia il "giorno della catastrofe" per i Palestinesi, fino ai fatti più recenti e sanguinosi, attraversando l'escalation della violenza. Si capisce come la s ...more
Samuel Wooil
3.5

A book that will make your blood boil the next time you see Israeli leaders talk about peace or Middle East's only democracy. In some ways the book is very informative - the chapters on Nakbah and Gaza's killing fields - indeed, sites of genocide - make it hard to put down the book. For now, I'm positive that any kind of sympathy I've held regarding Israel has left me.

Yet, the book could be so much better without the rhetoric that Noam Chomsky (usually a fan, but Ilan Pappe does a better job
Zulfadzli Zaini
A good, quick crash course for palestinian issue.
and despite both of them did not take any stand in destroying the israel people, let's be frank here; chomsky and pappe are taking the "palestinian side" (whatever that mean anyway).
it's a shame really if at the end of the reading, the only take-home message is "Hamas is the terrorist."
Michele Pratusevich
Chomsky is a biased author, but he tries to back up his statements in this book with as many facts as possible. Interesting perspective on the Gaza crisis during the start of the blockade policies, and a must-read for Israeli-Palestinian conflict buffs.
Ahmad Ardy
Membantu pembaca mengkatgorikan milestones atau highlights2 penting sepanjang sejarah krisis israel-palestin. Juga membantu aku sbg orang islam untuk menilai isu ini secara objektif.
Paul
An accessible, comprehensive and depressing introductory explanation of the culpability of Israel, the US and Europe surrounding the crisis in Gaza and the West Bank. Chomsky's arguments carry on the theme of his Propaganda Model to explain why attitudes in Israel and the US towards the Palestinians are so out of touch with the perception of the rest of the world, and Pappe provides some excellent contextual history. I'm a bit iffy on Chomsky's continued endorsement of the binational one state m ...more
John Pappas
While the 2009 article, "Exterminate the Brutes" by Chomsky is undoubtedly the centerpiece of this collection, the remainder of the book provides context and analysis of the historiography, politics and violence between Israel and Palestine that the mainstream media often ignores. The format or structure of the book is its weakness, but the information about Israel's security issues and expansionist policies is indispensable.
Absar Ahmed Khan
Stimulative read. The historiography is done in an excellent way making things more crystal clear.

While most of the research in the book is usually termed as conspiracy theory in my circles, it is time for those people to broaden their outlook and find the need to look at the things and events in every academic way possible. This work of Chomsky and Pappe is an academic treasure.
Linda Dixon
This is a book of essays written by Chomsky and Pappes about the historiccal perspective of the Paletinian/Israeli conflict(s) taht have occured for the past 60 years. Very interesting perspectives, a little dry at times. Also, they write about the one state- two state possibilities and their thoughts on both. A somewhat(!) anti-Israeli point of veiw.
Syed Asif
A refreshing take on one of history's most brutal crimes against humanity.

Ilan Pappe does a wonderful job at re-telling the past, and the violence that ensued with the Nakbah in 1948 and Israel's shocking denial.

A must-read for anyone who wants to develop a perspective about the 60+ year old conflict, and have an insight into the Gaza genocide.
Kim
Some excellent essays in here. A terrific introductory read, and yet also worth reading for those familiar with situation and history. The one weakness is the "interview" section, which is actually an accumulation of bits and pieces of correspondence pulled together into an interview format.
Casey Otto
Slow in the beginning but when it gets good it's hard to put down. Powerful, disturbing, and enlightening. Fizzles at the end much like the beginning but an overall good read and worth the time to educate yourself if you don't know much about the subject.
Goodreads Librari...: i want to delete abook 7 72 Oct 10, 2013 05:28PM
  • Drinking the Sea at Gaza: Days and Nights in a Land Under Siege
  • Israeli Apartheid: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World
  • Hollow Land: Israel's Architecture of Occupation
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order

“Hamas is regularly described as 'Iranian-backed Hamas, which is dedicated to the destruction of Israel.' One will be hard put to find something like 'democratically elected Hamas, which has long been calling for a two-state settlement in accord with the international consensus'—blocked for over 30 years by the US and Israel. All true, but not a useful contribution to the Party Line, hence dispensable.” 48 likes
“The new crimes that the US and Israel were committing in Gaza as 2009 opened do not fit easily into any standard category—except for the category of familiarity.” 29 likes