Start by marking “Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)

Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mystery #1)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Thea Campbell goes out for revenge when the one person who is simultaneously the most likely and least likely candidate for thief steals her horse. But Thea is wrong. As close to dead wrong as she ever wishes to get.
Published (first published October 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death by a Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by a Dark Horse

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
Series with Sass
53rd out of 195 books — 142 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
298th out of 801 books — 481 voters

More lists with this book...

A.M.
The cleverly titled Death By A Dark Horse has all the trappings of an engaging murder mystery: high stakes, an independent heroine, intimidating goons and a clever villain. All of this is set upon a backdrop of horse-riding and dressage, so right off the bat I can easily recommend this story to horse lovers. If you’re not much of a horse person, rest assured this novel might still have something to offer you.

As a main character, Thea is very much someone you can relate to. She’s clever — and run
Susan Schreyer
Mar 16, 2011 Susan Schreyer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Amazing story -- I dream about the characters!
April Tanner
I liked it

Thea is the kind of heroine I want to smack but have a fascination with anyway. This is a well written convoluted mystery that kept me guessing to the very end who dunnit. The fact that horses are involved was a nice bonus and when Thea finally quit being so timid and cowgirl'd up I like her lots more. Good story that kept my interest to the end and I will read the next ones!
Len
This is a total page-turner! The story will keep you guessing from the beginning to the end! I love how Thea cares about Blackie like a friend, beyond caring for a pet. At times, she almost even forgets about herself and the fact that the police may also consider her a suspect!

Thea is a magnetic character who you'd want to stick with in a book, you'd want to be friends with her if she was a person in real life, and perhaps even help her do the detective work! I admire her braveness and can't for
Allison Kohn
A very good read

I enjoyed this mystery and look forward to reading the ones following. I especially enjoyed reading about the dressage and the personality of Blacky. I also enjoyed the way the girls worked together to save themselves.
Edie Ramer
I’m not a horse person, but while reading this book, I fell in love with Thea Campbell’s horse. I can see why the victim—a woman everyone loves to hate—wanted to buy Blackie. Who wouldn’t? Still, that’s not reason enough for Thea to kill her. She’s got more pressing problems, in her accounting business and in her personal life. But both she and her horse are under suspicion, and the police don’t know enough about the murdered woman’s life to know what to look for. Plus, the victim’s influential ...more
Tammy Kenney
I thought it was a pretty good mystery. Sometimes I didn't care for the main character Thea. The storyline was good and has horses in it, another plus for me. The author does manage to surprise you with who the killer actually is. Will probably read more from this author.
Gail Baugniet
This mystery has enough twists, turns, and interesting characters to keep me reaching form my Kindle every free moment.

Susan Schreyer's protagonist, Thea Campbell, is a fiesty account who loves her horse Blackie more than her own life. She proves her love with courage and, at times, unadviseable actions.

Thea's thinking isn't always sound (haven't we all been there?) and her actions had me on edge a few times.

I enjoyed learning interesting tidbits about horses and their care while trying to figu
Michele bookloverforever
a horse is framed for murder. the horse's owner seeks the truth to save her beloved horse.
Terhi
Fast read with precise writing. Some grammar edits slipped by but really enjoyed the story!
Norma Huss
When Thea's missing horse, Blackie, is found in the pasture with a dead woman, the first thought was that crushed head was caused by Blackie. Thea knows that's not true, but how did Valerie die?

Was it murder? Who did it? And why? Soon Thea is asking all those questions, but so are the police, and they have more clout.

I found this mystery a captivating read. Recommended for horse lovers, mystery lovers, heck, let's just say for all readers and be done with it!
Christol Baldus
Christol Baldus is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Markel
Markel marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Lindsay Johnson
Lindsay Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Patricia Mccammon
Patricia Mccammon marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Stacei
Stacei marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Syl Forrest
Syl Forrest marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Chastity
Chastity marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Cheryl Medley
Cheryl Medley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Andrea Medlin
Andrea Medlin marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Ashley Dicus
Ashley Dicus marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Air Time (Charlotte McNally, #3)
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Ant Farm (Seamus McCree #0)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
  • Pirate Vishnu (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #2)
  • Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant (Mr. Monk #19)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Yesterday's Body
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • The Headhunter's Daughter: A Mystery
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • Back to the Best Books
  • Cross Current (Seychelle Sullivan, #2)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Rock Bottom (A.J. Palladino, #1)
  • Buyer, Beware (Style & Error Mystery #2)
Susan lives in western Washington with her husband, two children, and numerous animals of a variety of species. She divides her non-family time between teaching dressage to people and horses, and writing mysteries.

The first story Susan ever wrote was while in elementary school. It was called, The Mystery of the Golden Horseshoe. Unfortunately, she doesn’t remember anything about it except the titl
More about Susan Schreyer...

Thea Campbell Mystery (4 books)
  • Levels of Deception (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #2)
  • An Error in Judgment (Thea Campbell Mysteries #3)
  • BushWhacked (Thea Campbell Mysteries #4)
An Error in Judgment (Thea Campbell Mysteries #3) BushWhacked (Thea Campbell Mysteries #4) Levels of Deception (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #2) Carried Away Shooting To Kill (Thea Campbell Mystery #5)