Start by marking “Eternity in Their Hearts: Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World” as Want to Read:

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,900 ratings  ·  101 reviews
Has the God who prepared the gospel for all peoples also prepared all peoples for the gospel? Don Richardson, author of best-selling Peace Child, demonstrates through compelling stories from many different cultures how the concept of a supreme God has existed for centuries in hundreds of cultures throughout the world. From deep in the jungles of Burma to a majestic fortres ...more
Published March 8th 2006 by Regal Books (first published November 30th 1980)

anca dc
Sintetizata foarte intelept in doua parti, "Vesnicia din inimile lor" atinge doua fete ale aceleiasi monede: revelatia lui Dumnezeu, pe de o parte, generala, pe de alta parte, speciala.
Foarte bine documentat, Don Richardson prezinta in prima parte popoare incepind cu sec.VI ale caror credinte si obiceiuri releva cunoasterea lor a existentei unui singur Dumnezeu adevarat, Creatorul tuturor lucrurilor. De asemenea, au fost descoperite scrieri poetice adresate lui Dumnezeu, acestea fiind foarte as
Apryl Anderson
This was an excellent counterpoint to Joseph Campbell's 'the Power of Myth.'
As we are created in the image of God, each of us carries a divine spark and a memory of the eternal. No matter how far one can wander, we recognize the essential truth, and it's carried from generation to generation, transcending cultures and societies, by way of myth.
I find that absolutely thrilling!
Chad Sluder
Fascinating. I am very much in favor of social sciences as apologetics. I think there is a relatively untapped well of insight to be found by observing people and their ways, that points to the existence and need for a Supreme and Good God.
Bryan Kim
Jul 24, 2007 Bryan Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this when I was much younger than now... I remember tears flowing down my face as I caught a glimpse of God's "big-ness". I have my students read this, it's mandatory.
Ashley
Shows the many threads of the story of the kingdom of God. One of my favorite books.
Ryan Rindels
Eternity in their Hearts is written by missionary Don Richardson who spent time in Papua New Guinea beginning in the early 60's. His research has shown many cultures throughout the world are prepped for the gospel message due to promises and entrenched prophecies that bear striking resemblance to biblical ones. For instance, the ancient Greeks experienced a destructive plague in the 6th century B.C. and after sacrificing to every god in the pantheon experienced no relief. The men of Athens sent ...more
RE de Leon
Jan 08, 2011 RE de Leon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: missionaries, evangelists, Christians interested in culture
Recommended to RE by: Danny and Angie Narciso
Don Richardson's Eternity in their Hearts plays an important role in my bookshelf - it, along with a handful of CS Lewis' works, the primary bridge between the "Christian" shelf and the "Cultural Studies, Anthropology, and Anthropology" shelf.

Its premise is that, within the fabric of each of the world's cultures are embedded threads -clues in the form of stories and traditions - that point the way to the Gospel message. If a missionary is senstive to such stories and traditions, it becomes easie
Michael
I read this book years ago, and I enjoyed it so much I shared it with my wife. And I think it should be shared with all Christians, especially those pursuing foreign missions. The author, a missionary and missiologist, shares his research of how God has left evidence of Himself throughout so many different cultures of the world -- often preparing these peoples for Christians to come to them and share with them the good news.

The evidence is startling. For example, here's an excerpt I found onlin
Joseph
Apr 04, 2010 Joseph rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, "Atheists", Missionaries, and all others
Shelves: non-fiction
What a wonderful act of God! This book explains the providential wisdom our Heavenly Father displayed by preparing the Gospel for certain tribes and peoples in extraordinary ways. For example, a tribe in Asia had been waiting for a certain Holy book from their God that would show them the way to Heaven. When missionaries came, with the Bible, these people readily and happily embraced the Salvation through Jesus Christ, and countless thousands were saved! Every Christian ought to read this. It is ...more
Tintinrulz
"Eternity in Their Hearts" by Don Richardson is a good book but very different in places to what I expected. Yes, this effort looks at 'startling evidence of belief in the one true God in cultures throughout the world', but certainly not in hundreds of cultures. Maybe thirty of them, if you're lucky. So, right off the bat the subtitle is misleading.

Herein, Richardson first looks at Epimenides and 'the Unknown God' and how he laid the groundwork for what the apostle Paul did at Mars Hill, in Ath
Liesl
God is at work through the centuries, preparing peoples and nations to know him. This book brings this out VERY clearly, a good read for anyone interested in God and history.
Jared
This book was an overall good read, but the author writes about some pretty heady stuff, making frequent references back to many different verses in the Bible that make it sometimes difficult to follow, and often bogs down under the weight of having so much of it crammed into certain sections of chapters. His style is good, but not necessarily compelling, making it a little difficult to gather the gumption to finish the book.

However, the subject matter is really important, and it is put in conte
Johnny Brooks
"Startling evidence of belief in the one true God in hundreds of cultures throughout the world," is what Don Richardson's book claims to be. In fact it is not. Which is a shame as I am really interested in this subject.

Unfortunately Don makes a very poor argument, and goes way off topic for the second half of the book. The first part of the book is full of stories about animistic cultures that seem to have strangely similar beliefs to the Christian set of beliefs. Too bad he doesn't expound on
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Published in several languages since its first release in 1981, Eternity in Their Hearts was reprinted in 2005. I finally discovered this book in 2011 while reading Vishal Mangalwadi – The Book That Made Your World. The book that we call Bible is expected all over the world. Remote people with impressing languages and customs testify of the general revelation God gave. Acoording to Don Richardson (1935) former missionary and author of books like Peace Child (1975) and Lords of the Earth (2003) G ...more
Scott Hayden
Don Richardson makes the case that God has preserved remnant memories of Himself embedded in each culture, what he calls redemptive analogies. He further maintains that missionaries would be much more successful if they would discover these. Fascinating.
Dad Bowers
Jun 10, 2011 Dad Bowers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone seeking to understand missions
Recommended to Dad by: college professors
Shelves: favorites
Richardson, long time mis'y in Irian Jaya (author of Peace Child) develops further his hypothesis that God left in ancient peoples a way of knowing God thru general revelation, the ‘Melchizedek factor,’ or thru special revelation, the ‘Abraham factor.’ Some rejected what they knew, the 'Sodom factor,' and were rightly judged. He cites several examples including Epimenides in Athens, Pachuti king of the Incas, and the Santal of India, etc. I’ve wanted to read this for some time, and am glad to ha ...more
John
This is a fascinating book. It raised new questions about how God has worked in history apart from Israel to save sinners. Richardson doesn't really address that question--but he does demonstrate how God has prepared many people groups to hear the good news about Jesus Christ. Many peoples have anticipated the Christian gospel and received the news about Christ with joy, because God had left a witness with them over the centuries.

I don't agree with some of his theology, and some of his arguments
Ruth
If a book ever needed an editor it was this one. Some of the data is fascinating, but the hundreds- no lie- of exclamation points coupled with occasionally insulting phrasing when discussing other cultures has made this book almost impossible for me to get through.

I'm going to keep on plugging along because the data is worth keeping, but the overall writing quality is so poor I'm almost afraid to recommend this book to anyone for fear they'll think I approve of this sort of thing.

Good God. I don
Heatherjoy
This book was something of a disappointment, particularly as it came highly recommended. I'd like to start by saying that I definitely believe in redemptive analogies, in God's revelation in other cultures, and in the good intentions of the author. I also recognize that this book was written at a very different point in time - one without the internet and research tools of today and at a point when American Christians felt on the defensive. Some of the specific examples of redemptive analogy are ...more
DawnEllen
This has been on my to read shelf for far too long. On chapter two and it is rocking my world view! I need to completely revamp how I teach comparative mythology. If you have thought about reading this and have not, get it immediately! If you have never heard of it, GET IT. No friend of Jesus should go another day without reminding it.
Lianne Simon
I read this while studying with Wycliffe Bible Translators. Richardson weaves together a string of amazing stories into a coherent whole that examines the common thread that runs through ancient cultures--the belief in a Creator who reveals himself. Especially interesting where the stories of the people of the lost book.
Karen
So far this book has been rivetting. In the past I started reading it a few times, or only read the chapter about the people groups of Northern Thailand, but this time I decided to give it a full read, and I am not disappointed- I was even reading it to Mike in the car!! Very encouraging.
Katlyn
MUST READ!! Amazing how God prepared the Gospel message in the hearts of people in far away places, and then prepared his servants to communicate the message.
Interesting to read about different cultures and how they interact.
Jeremiah
A fascinating and important book whose central claim is that God has revealed himself to cultures around the world through their native religions. He tells a number of stories of missionaries traveling to south-east Asian tribes and finding that they already had a myth about a Most High God who created them, but they were enticed away from Him by spirits, and they lost his favor, or sometimes his sacred writings. Now they must sacrifice to those spirits to keep them placated, but one day this Mo ...more
kinu triatmojo
I'm interested in the concept. Richardson's thesis is that God has placed in various cultures a key to making the gospel understandable.
Regina
Jun 12, 2014 Regina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Regina by: Don Richardson!
Loved it! I bought this book at First Presbyterian Church in Augusta after hearing Don Richardson speak (and later realized that this is a Sonlight Curriculum homeschool recommendation. I love to consider Richardson's theory that remote, unevangelized people groups have an inherent knowledge of the One True God and His ways and how this makes them fallow ground for the gospel. Richardson gives many examples to back up this theory.

In the last few chapters, however, I felt Richardson was too crit
Dawn
Interesting book about different Christian parrallels in folk religions around the world.
Amanda Tranmer
Fascinating. It wasn't entirely what I expected. The title is a little misleading. The first half of the book does explore God's general revelation, the way that he has imprinted himself in a handful of cultures of unchurched peoples through their customs, beliefs, sacred objects, etc. The second half of the book, although complimentary to the first half, is a completely different book devoted to the great commission, to proving that missions matter and have mattered all along. From Genesis to r ...more
Tim Baumgartner
I actually read this book close to a year ago, but never got to my review.

In my World Religions classes this past year, I started using a bit of this material during my Introductory unit. During this time, I exposed my students to various theories as to the origin of religion: 1) Animistic, 2) Nature-worship, 3) Original Monotheism, 4) Magic and 5) Wish-fulfilment.

This book was VERY informative as an introductory source related to the 'theories of religions' discussion. Author Don Richardson s
Marie
This book has good information, but very poor writing. Unfortunately, this is a common affliction of books produced by small or self publishing houses.

First, the good information: Eternity in Their Hearts puts forth a rather novel theory and then follows up with anecdotal evidence. The theory presented is that indigenous groups around the world already have the knowledge of and desire for God in their hearts. Don Richardson presents many first hand accounts from missionaries who have arrived in
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition
  • Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: Reader
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West...Again
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships
  • Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot (Lives of Faith)
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Our's?
  • Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Revolution in World Missions
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility
DON RICHARDSON, author of Secrets of the Koran, Lords of the Earth and Eternity in Their Hearts, has been studying the Muslim world for more than 30 years.

He and his wife, Carol, spent 15 years among the Sawi, a Stone Age tribe of Irian Jaya. Don designed an alphabet suited to the Sawi language, authored 19 primers, taught the tribesmen to read in their native tongue and translated the entire New
More about Don Richardson...
Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century Lords of the Earth Secrets of the Koran Acting Without Agony: An Alternative to the Method Heaven Wins: Heaven, Hell and the Hope of Every Person