Start by marking “Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)” as Want to Read:
Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)

Aztec Autumn (Aztec #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,689 ratings  ·  75 reviews
"Aztec Autumn" takes us to a time one generation after the Conquest, when the magnificent Aztec empire has fallen beneath the brutal heel of the invading Spaniards. But one proud young Aztec, Tenamaxtli, refuses to bow to the foreign conquerors - and secretly begins to recruit, from among the struggling survivors of the Conquest, an army of insurrection. On his courageous ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Forge (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Aztec Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aztec Autumn

Jordan
I read this because I loved Aztec so much but it didn't really hold-up as well as I expected. Still exciting and full of cultural information though.
Jorge Arnulfo
Caio Duayer
ehhhhhhh, three starts, I liked it, but just enough, had a bunch of highs but also a LOT of lows. Starting with the lows, he uses some very cliched tools to get the plot forward, nearing the end there are even some James Bondesque moments, and it really draws you out of this supposedly real story, or at least based vaguely on one. The main character is very sort of bland he has some good ideals and all but , not very inspiring and very little of a character arch.
Another low is the gore, G-ZUS1 ,
Rodrigo Campos
Otoño azteca es la continuación del libro "Azteca", el cuál comienza prácticamente donde termina el primero, o al menos en una de las últimas escenas.

Considero que el segundo libro está cargado de la misma intensidad que el primero, con personajes interesantes y una historia bien continuada a partir del primer libro. Lo sentí más novela, con la aventura que tiende más a la fantasía que a los hechos históricos que tuvo (o quiso) explicar en el primer libro.

El final , al igual que el primero fue i
Marjorie
Spoiler Alert

Like AZTEC, Gary Jenning’s novel published in 1980, Jennings‘ sequel, AZTEC AUTUMN. published in 1997, takes place in 16th century Mexico. The novel AZTEC, as I remember it, was so vivid, the world of the exotic Aztec culture, mystical, sensual and incredibly blood-thirsty, so fascinating that though I remember few details, I remember my reaction–mesmerized. AZTEC AUTUMN begins with the death of Mixtli–the half-blind narrator of AZTEC, who tells his life-story to the Spanish clergy.
Elaine
Nahuatl is the native language with most speakers in Mexico, with approximately a million and a half, most bilingual with the Spanish. Its use extends from the North of Mexico to Central America.

The Spanish invaded Mexico in 1530. The Aztec Empire was the principal political structure on the North American continent at the time of its conquest by Spaniards.

The Mixtón War was fought from 1540 until 1542 between Spanish invaders and their Aztec and Tlaxcalan allies against the Caxcanes and other s
Althea Ann
I read the first one in this series a few years back, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the sequels. So – I knew what I was getting into, with this book. But – boy, are these trashy!
However, they’re not non-stop trashy. There’s also a lot of historical detail in them – but, I wouldn’t actually *trust* any particular detail in any of these to be historically accurate without looking it up and verifying it in a couple of other sources first.

This book tells the story of Tenamaxtli, the son of the n
Austin Briggs
First, I'm not sure how much of this book was written by Gary Jennings himself. I'm ready to accept that he drafted the outline, and maybe some of his trademark travel and sexual scenes, by himself.

But the uninspired narration, the hurried ending, the moralistic undertone couldn't have come from The Master. I refuse to believe it. Nameless minions must have done this after his death, to cash in on his name.

While some of the scenes in this book have stayed in my memory for many years (some scen
Joy Pérez
Los sumergiré un poco en el territorio que hoy ocupa México, pero cuando su nombre era Nueva España y sometían a los indigenas que no se doblegaban al catolicismo.

Tenamaxtli, un joven indigena, muy orgulloso, al que no le agrada el hecho de los españoles se hayan impuesto en lo que algún día fue la gran Tenochtitlán y derrumbarán todo para construir La Ciudad de México. “Todavía puedo verlo arder.” Es como comienza su narración, él presencia a un hombre al que le prenden fuego porque, según los
Judi
It's been 27 years since I read the first book in the series, Aztec. I knew it was fiction, but the history upon which it was based just fascinated me. I had always meant to read this follow-up, but never got around to it -- until I saw the book on the bargain book rack at B&N a couple months ago.

The action in this book occurs a generation after the first one, and reflects the coming of the Spaniards. It was not as compelling to me as Aztec, which may just be because I am reading it at a di
Yuri Marin
Claramente Azteca es muy superior a este libro tanto en la historia como en la descripción de la vida de los aztecas. Lei este libro recién terminado el otro y puede ser ese uno de los motivos de por que este libro lo senti como no tan bueno. Desde mi punto de vista el libro mejora desde la mitad hacia adelante, terminando casi en forma abrupta.
Probablemente le podría haber dado una estrella más.
Dale
We lived in San Miguel de Allende for several years, we became fascinated with Mexico's rich history. Ignore what the newspapers say. It is safer in many parts of Mexico than in many parts of the US. Anyway, We love Gary Jennings books. A lot of history presented in a most enjoyable fictional manner.
Danielle
This book was great, but decidedly not as entertaining as it's predecessor "Aztec." I found the character development lacking which was not the case in the first book of the series. Still, I learned a lot about the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs after the initial arrival of Cortes as well as the Mixton War, the upheaval of the Aztecs years later to try and take their land back. This was an enjoyable adventure, great as a vacation/beach read, and especially recommended for those readers who loved ...more
Kati
I actually enjoyed this book better than the first one. There were still some sex scenes but they didn't take up so much of the book. The overarching story is of an Aztec resistance against the Spanish. I enjoyed seeing all the different tribes working together, as well as the political intrigue. As in the first book, Jennings did a wonderful job of making the scenery come to life.

My only complaint about this book is the lack of smallpox. I know that smallpox was devastating to the native popul
Diego Valdivia
Este libro se debe de leer sin esperar que sea igual al libro de Azteca. Dejando eso de lado y quitando esas ideas del lector, es un libro muy bueno. Son pocas las novelas históricas que narran lo que aconteció luego de la conquista. Y este libro nos dá una buena idea de qué es lo que sucedio en ese tiempo. El personaje de Tenamaxtli es excelente.

"Todavía puedo verlo arder" una frase que jamás olvidaré.
Charlene Gordon
Great book! Read this in 1998.
Gregg Zwillling MD
Read Aztec by the same author and I really enjoyed it plus my mom who is an Avid reader read the whole series and she really enjoyed it as well
Michael
Historical fiction, Mexico less than 50 years after conquest by the Spanish. I just re-read this and had forgotten how excellent it is. GJ is strange and interesting. Yeah, sure it's so weird as to make you shake your head every now and then. But the research is perfect. The tone of the story is exciting, active, and funny. I have never heard of anybody putting one of these down from boredom, though I guess there is much here that would offend some people. As always, the main character is a cour ...more
Scot
I got into a reading jag lately and remembered the original "Aztec" by Jennings that I read some years back when I spotted this. It was a "fun" read, no Joyce or Proust, but it had me thinking about that transition of cultures. There is an under tone of irony and regret that is poignant throughout. Basically for all the bloodshed and death it is an upbeat book some how. I feel like I came away from the book understanding how much more complex this cultural transition really was.
Jan
Aztec Autumn was a very "Goodread". It has been many moons since I read the first book "Aztec" and have had this one to read for several years.

This book continues the story of the Spanish occupation of the Aztec territories, and how one man sees his father burned at the stake, and resolves to take his country back, from the Spaniards who have invaded his "One World".

Well written, and captures the readers attention.
Gordon
It is many years since I read Aztec, which I remember as being excellent. Aztec Autumn is not. I thought that this kind of fantastical, as opposed to fantastic, story telling died with James Fenimore Cooper. The main character and narrator, Tenemaxtli is immoral, foolish and at the same time grossly arrogant. I suppose there is some historical value but I don't know how you would sort it out from the foolishness.
Niki
This is the first book I have read by Gary Jennings and I enjoyed it. It is the story of a young boy who doesn't realize that the man he has just seen hung was his father. At that point his life is set on seeking revenge on the wicked people "priests" who killed his father for not being christian. The book follows his life and his determination to conquer the Aztec's.
columbialion
The author's attempt to continue the narrative developed in his first book Aztec, I think fails on many levels.
The story relies too heavily on graphic descriptions of violence and sex, and thins considerably in very loose character development and believability.
If this was a a sequel to a movie rather than a book, it would have immediately been relegated to DVD.
Krista
As far as historical fiction goes, this is an amazingly well-researched look at the Aztec people and Nahuatl language. A trip to Mexico City inspired me to read it, and it adds a lot of details about the days just after the conquistadors invaded Mexico. The plot is a bit melodramatic and coincidental, but easy to read despite all the foreign concepts and language.
Jaime Contreras
Mr. Jennings follow-up to his mammoth best-selling book, Aztec picks up the story with the sonn of the first novel's main character. This books covers a period of history that is often glossed over by many - the years immediately following the fall of the Aztec Empire. Read this during those cold winter nights and you will feel your Mexica blood in you!
Paul
Lesser effort than previous book, but still enjoyable.
Tammy
Apr 14, 2013 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers
Second book of the Aztec series could be read by itself but would recommend reading it in order.
The Spanish has took over the Aztec empire.
Tenamaxtli is a witness to his father being burned. Thus began our lusty
mans' quest against the white invaders. Leading through the Mixtli war.
Seemed a little more masculine read.

Mar 07, 2007 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love history.
I read a book I thought was called "Aztec" by Gary Jennings, but this was the closest I could fin to it. anyways I recommend "Aztec" it's the history of the Atztec's in a well spun story of man who lives through it all. It's the history ( I don't know how accurated the history is) without the textbook jargon that make me want to sleep.
VWrulesChick
This is the second installment of the Aztec series, the story starts to where the end of the first book ends - thought it was an interesting why to bring in the characters. You get to know Tena and his life story, his mission and the interesting people he meets on his journeys through out Mexica and the One World regions.
Historical Fictio...: Aztec Autumn 12 119 Nov 03, 2012 10:23PM
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Novel
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • Kingston by Starlight
  • Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol II)
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • Sab
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Women of the Raj
  • The Rise and Fall of Alexandria: Birthplace of the Modern Mind
Gary Jennings led a paradoxically picaresque life. On one hand, he was a man of acknowledged intellect and erudition. His novels were international best sellers, praised around the world for their stylish prose, lively wit and adventurously bawdy spirit. They were also massive - often topping 500,000 words - and widely acclaimed for the years of research he put into each one, both in libraries and ...more
More about Gary Jennings...
Aztec (Aztec, #1) The Journeyer Raptor Aztec Blood (Aztec, #3) Spangle

“¿Perdonar?
Nunca perdonéis,
pero fingid que perdonáis.
Decid amistosamente que perdonáis.
Convenced de que habéis perdonado.
Así devastador es el efecto
cuando al final os lanzáis
y buscáis la garganta.”