Start by marking “Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)” as Want to Read:
Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)

Aztec Autumn (Aztec #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,814 ratings  ·  81 reviews
"Aztec Autumn" takes us to a time one generation after the Conquest, when the magnificent Aztec empire has fallen beneath the brutal heel of the invading Spaniards. But one proud young Aztec, Tenamaxtli, refuses to bow to the foreign conquerors - and secretly begins to recruit, from among the struggling survivors of the Conquest, an army of insurrection. On his courageous ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Forge (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Aztec Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aztec Autumn

Shawn
I am not sure what to make of Gary Jennings "Aztec" series. I love the writing and history but I truly get tired of the pointless sex. Many other reviewers think his first novel, "Aztec", was much better than this book. I am not sure. Both show the richness and brutality of life in central Mexico around the time of Spanish Conquest, but he spends so much time describing the sexual activities of the main characters almost all is lost. I did prefer Aztec because the reader was given an accurate an ...more
Jordan
I read this because I loved Aztec so much but it didn't really hold-up as well as I expected. Still exciting and full of cultural information though.
Jorge Arnulfo
Caio Duayer
ehhhhhhh, three starts, I liked it, but just enough, had a bunch of highs but also a LOT of lows. Starting with the lows, he uses some very cliched tools to get the plot forward, nearing the end there are even some James Bondesque moments, and it really draws you out of this supposedly real story, or at least based vaguely on one. The main character is very sort of bland he has some good ideals and all but , not very inspiring and very little of a character arch.
Another low is the gore, G-ZUS1 ,
Rodrigo Campos
Otoño azteca es la continuación del libro "Azteca", el cuál comienza prácticamente donde termina el primero, o al menos en una de las últimas escenas.

Considero que el segundo libro está cargado de la misma intensidad que el primero, con personajes interesantes y una historia bien continuada a partir del primer libro. Lo sentí más novela, con la aventura que tiende más a la fantasía que a los hechos históricos que tuvo (o quiso) explicar en el primer libro.

El final , al igual que el primero fue i
Marjorie
Spoiler Alert

Like AZTEC, Gary Jenning’s novel published in 1980, Jennings‘ sequel, AZTEC AUTUMN. published in 1997, takes place in 16th century Mexico. The novel AZTEC, as I remember it, was so vivid, the world of the exotic Aztec culture, mystical, sensual and incredibly blood-thirsty, so fascinating that though I remember few details, I remember my reaction–mesmerized. AZTEC AUTUMN begins with the death of Mixtli–the half-blind narrator of AZTEC, who tells his life-story to the Spanish clergy.
Elaine
Nahuatl is the native language with most speakers in Mexico, with approximately a million and a half, most bilingual with the Spanish. Its use extends from the North of Mexico to Central America.

The Spanish invaded Mexico in 1530. The Aztec Empire was the principal political structure on the North American continent at the time of its conquest by Spaniards.

The Mixtón War was fought from 1540 until 1542 between Spanish invaders and their Aztec and Tlaxcalan allies against the Caxcanes and other s
Althea Ann
I read the first one in this series a few years back, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the sequels. So – I knew what I was getting into, with this book. But – boy, are these trashy!
However, they’re not non-stop trashy. There’s also a lot of historical detail in them – but, I wouldn’t actually *trust* any particular detail in any of these to be historically accurate without looking it up and verifying it in a couple of other sources first.

This book tells the story of Tenamaxtli, the son of the n
Austin Briggs
First, I'm not sure how much of this book was written by Gary Jennings himself. I'm ready to accept that he drafted the outline, and maybe some of his trademark travel and sexual scenes, by himself.

But the uninspired narration, the hurried ending, the moralistic undertone couldn't have come from The Master. I refuse to believe it. Nameless minions must have done this after his death, to cash in on his name.

While some of the scenes in this book have stayed in my memory for many years (some scen
Joy Pérez
Los sumergiré un poco en el territorio que hoy ocupa México, pero cuando su nombre era Nueva España y sometían a los indigenas que no se doblegaban al catolicismo.

Tenamaxtli, un joven indigena, muy orgulloso, al que no le agrada el hecho de los españoles se hayan impuesto en lo que algún día fue la gran Tenochtitlán y derrumbarán todo para construir La Ciudad de México. “Todavía puedo verlo arder.” Es como comienza su narración, él presencia a un hombre al que le prenden fuego porque, según los
Judi
It's been 27 years since I read the first book in the series, Aztec. I knew it was fiction, but the history upon which it was based just fascinated me. I had always meant to read this follow-up, but never got around to it -- until I saw the book on the bargain book rack at B&N a couple months ago.

The action in this book occurs a generation after the first one, and reflects the coming of the Spaniards. It was not as compelling to me as Aztec, which may just be because I am reading it at a di
Yuri Marin
Claramente Azteca es muy superior a este libro tanto en la historia como en la descripción de la vida de los aztecas. Lei este libro recién terminado el otro y puede ser ese uno de los motivos de por que este libro lo senti como no tan bueno. Desde mi punto de vista el libro mejora desde la mitad hacia adelante, terminando casi en forma abrupta.
Probablemente le podría haber dado una estrella más.
Dale
We lived in San Miguel de Allende for several years, we became fascinated with Mexico's rich history. Ignore what the newspapers say. It is safer in many parts of Mexico than in many parts of the US. Anyway, We love Gary Jennings books. A lot of history presented in a most enjoyable fictional manner.
Danielle
This book was great, but decidedly not as entertaining as it's predecessor "Aztec." I found the character development lacking which was not the case in the first book of the series. Still, I learned a lot about the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs after the initial arrival of Cortes as well as the Mixton War, the upheaval of the Aztecs years later to try and take their land back. This was an enjoyable adventure, great as a vacation/beach read, and especially recommended for those readers who loved ...more
Kelly
This book was enjoyable and about a period in time and group of people I don't know much about. I had to stop reading this book mid-way to read my book club book, so when I picked it back up again, I wasn't as interested. However, the story was well done and despite having Aztec names, the characters were easy to keep straight. The book was very good at describing the Aztec culture and the different tribes in the area. I would recommend this if you enjoy historical fiction.
Robinson
Secuela de la novela Azteca. Esta es una buena segunda parte, pero no alcanza a superar a su predecesora que es perfecta.
Kati
I actually enjoyed this book better than the first one. There were still some sex scenes but they didn't take up so much of the book. The overarching story is of an Aztec resistance against the Spanish. I enjoyed seeing all the different tribes working together, as well as the political intrigue. As in the first book, Jennings did a wonderful job of making the scenery come to life.

My only complaint about this book is the lack of smallpox. I know that smallpox was devastating to the native popul
Diego Valdivia
Este libro se debe de leer sin esperar que sea igual al libro de Azteca. Dejando eso de lado y quitando esas ideas del lector, es un libro muy bueno. Son pocas las novelas históricas que narran lo que aconteció luego de la conquista. Y este libro nos dá una buena idea de qué es lo que sucedio en ese tiempo. El personaje de Tenamaxtli es excelente.

"Todavía puedo verlo arder" una frase que jamás olvidaré.
Kipy Ca
un libro histórico muy interesante con mucha información sobre la época de la conquista, con un poco mas de fantasía, aunque no supera la riqueza de azteca sigue siendo un libro que vale la pena leer
Thomas Switek
Good but not quite as good as the first.
Charlene Gordon
Great book! Read this in 1998.
Gregg Zwillling MD
Read Aztec by the same author and I really enjoyed it plus my mom who is an Avid reader read the whole series and she really enjoyed it as well
Michael
Historical fiction, Mexico less than 50 years after conquest by the Spanish. I just re-read this and had forgotten how excellent it is. GJ is strange and interesting. Yeah, sure it's so weird as to make you shake your head every now and then. But the research is perfect. The tone of the story is exciting, active, and funny. I have never heard of anybody putting one of these down from boredom, though I guess there is much here that would offend some people. As always, the main character is a cour ...more
Scot
I got into a reading jag lately and remembered the original "Aztec" by Jennings that I read some years back when I spotted this. It was a "fun" read, no Joyce or Proust, but it had me thinking about that transition of cultures. There is an under tone of irony and regret that is poignant throughout. Basically for all the bloodshed and death it is an upbeat book some how. I feel like I came away from the book understanding how much more complex this cultural transition really was.
Jan
Aztec Autumn was a very "Goodread". It has been many moons since I read the first book "Aztec" and have had this one to read for several years.

This book continues the story of the Spanish occupation of the Aztec territories, and how one man sees his father burned at the stake, and resolves to take his country back, from the Spaniards who have invaded his "One World".

Well written, and captures the readers attention.
Gordon
It is many years since I read Aztec, which I remember as being excellent. Aztec Autumn is not. I thought that this kind of fantastical, as opposed to fantastic, story telling died with James Fenimore Cooper. The main character and narrator, Tenemaxtli is immoral, foolish and at the same time grossly arrogant. I suppose there is some historical value but I don't know how you would sort it out from the foolishness.
Niki
This is the first book I have read by Gary Jennings and I enjoyed it. It is the story of a young boy who doesn't realize that the man he has just seen hung was his father. At that point his life is set on seeking revenge on the wicked people "priests" who killed his father for not being christian. The book follows his life and his determination to conquer the Aztec's.
columbialion
The author's attempt to continue the narrative developed in his first book Aztec, I think fails on many levels.
The story relies too heavily on graphic descriptions of violence and sex, and thins considerably in very loose character development and believability.
If this was a a sequel to a movie rather than a book, it would have immediately been relegated to DVD.
Krista
As far as historical fiction goes, this is an amazingly well-researched look at the Aztec people and Nahuatl language. A trip to Mexico City inspired me to read it, and it adds a lot of details about the days just after the conquistadors invaded Mexico. The plot is a bit melodramatic and coincidental, but easy to read despite all the foreign concepts and language.
Historical Fictio...: Aztec Autumn 12 119 Nov 03, 2012 10:23PM
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Novel
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • The Sicilian/Omerta
  • Kingston by Starlight
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • People of the Raven (North America's Forgotten Past, #12)
  • Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive Without Killing Your Boss
  • Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol II)
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • Caesar's Women (Masters of Rome, #4)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • Incas: The Light of Machu Picchu (Incas, #3)
  • The Three Edwards (The Plantagenets, #3)
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
Gary Jennings led a paradoxically picaresque life. On one hand, he was a man of acknowledged intellect and erudition. His novels were international best sellers, praised around the world for their stylish prose, lively wit and adventurously bawdy spirit. They were also massive - often topping 500,000 words - and widely acclaimed for the years of research he put into each one, both in libraries and ...more
More about Gary Jennings...

Aztec (5 books)
  • Aztec (Aztec, #1)
  • Aztec Blood (Aztec, #3)
  • Aztec Rage (Aztec, #4)
  • Aztec Fire (Aztec, #5)
Aztec (Aztec, #1) The Journeyer Raptor Aztec Blood (Aztec, #3) Spangle

“¿Perdonar?
Nunca perdonéis,
pero fingid que perdonáis.
Decid amistosamente que perdonáis.
Convenced de que habéis perdonado.
Así devastador es el efecto
cuando al final os lanzáis
y buscáis la garganta.”