Start by marking “War Is a Lie” as Want to Read:
War Is a Lie

War Is a Lie

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  15 reviews
WAR IS A LIE is a thorough refutation of every major argument used to justify wars, drawing on evidence from numerous past wars, with a focus on those wars that have been most widely defended as just and good. This is a handbook of sorts, a manual to be used in debunking future lies before future wars have a chance to begin. For more information visit WarIsALie.org.
Published October 30th 2010 by David Swanson (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about War Is a Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Is a Lie

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn1984 by George OrwellManufacturing Consent by Noam ChomskyUnderstanding Power by Noam Chomsky
Best Left-Texts
49th out of 253 books — 114 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueJohnny Got His Gun by Dalton TrumboSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutVoice of Reason by Bryant McGillHiroshima by John Hersey
War has no winners
12th out of 81 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

John Rachel
When we look at the current mindset of America, its obsession with terror, its political gridlock, its exceptionalist view of itself, its imperial view of the rest of the world, its immersion in violence and militarism, it's hard to grasp and embrace the overall premise of this book. Yet for reasons which range from survival to basic human decency we must.

When the Nobel Peace Prize is prematurely awarded to a warmonger like President Obama, and an author like David Swanson doesn't even make the
David Swanson
Nov 21, 2010 David Swanson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm not going to rate it because I wrote it -- in English, not Hungarian. And I am the same person as "David Swanson" who wrote "Daybreak," not a distinct "David Cn Swanson."
Vegantrav
This is one of the best defenses of pacifism that I have ever read.

Swanson's book is very detailed and carefully researched, providing multitudes of historical examples to argue that war is, as the great protest song declares, good for absolutely nothing.

Swanson does not shy away from the tough cases: wasn't World War II justified? What about the US and NATO's military actions to stop the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia? The answers that Swanson provides, though, are not simple, but of course, we liv
Elizabeth
Worth reading...
Paul Brogan
It took me over a year to read this book. It wasn't poorly written, it wasn't wrong, and it wasn't impenetrable. It was just long, too long, like an extended Facebook post detailing a litany of war lies and war crimes from God-knows-when, in order to what? To persuade? If so, then the unfortunate thing is that I'm already persuaded that war rarely, if ever, has a workable defence. A more bellicose soul may struggle to begin, let alone to finish or be convinced by, this lecture by David Swanson.

W
Vane Lashua
Just like the intro says, it's a refutation of the reasons for our pursuit of war AND the incredible and illogical addiction that we, our neighbors, "enemies", corporations, legislators and executives have for it. It stimulates thinking about the awful waste and ignorance we abide as citizens, eg,

How to stop the Afghan War: If we BOUGHT all the poppy/opium crop directly from Afghani farmers (costing us about

~$60,000,000,000 / YEAR == $175,000,000 / DAY)

would take 2/3rds of the world's heroin s
N. Jr.
At first, I thought I probably knew much of the material in the book, but I was surprised to find out how ignorant I was about not only the US wars in Mexico and the Philippines, but also about World War II. In that sense alone it is worth reading, as it provides the opportunity to enlighten the reader with the details of history that have been whitewashed out of the textbooks. It is so informative, that a second read is well worth it.
Many of us now feel that war is a destructive enterprise that
Donald Linnemeyer
In spite of the overly shrill rhetoric, Swanson does deliver on one thing: a wealth of damning, and at times disturbing, examples of objectionable war rhetoric, practices, and propaganda. The testimonies from soldiers in the Iraq War were particularly haunting. There was also a specific example of WWI propaganda that stuck with me: an image of Jesus in soldier's clothing aiming a rifle.

Worth reading if you're looking for a few handfuls of quotations and footnotes. But expect it to try your patie
Rob Granniss
David Swanson takes aim at popular myths/lies used to excuse invasions in strategically important (and sometimes unimportant) nations. He attacks not only specific examples but the overall use of war as a solution to any problem. There's a fairly sizable section at the end of the book on ideas on how to work for peace, though like most in its genre it's sadly a bit thin.
Brian Carnell
Based on some of the reviews on Amazon, I was looking forward to a well written critique of war propaganda. Instead, "War Is A Lie" is a disjointed, practically stream of consciousness rant that is as poorly sourced and ridiculously reasoned as the pro-war propaganda it is devoted to debunking.

Book was a complete waste of time.
Bakari
War Is a Lie is a very well-written and thought out analysis and argument for how we have been constantly lied into war. Even if you don't agree with all the author's arguments, he definitely provides insight into how we need to stop viewing war as a solution to economic and political conflict.
Paul Valente
Passionate and convincing polemic arguing for a world without war, filled with insights and damning evidence of state sponsored terrorism and murder. Only his argument that WWII was avoidable didn't convince me.
Paul
Anti-war. Not just anti-Iraq or anti-Vietnam but anti-war period. Worth reading,sharpens your thinking. A bit repetative after a while at 336 pages.
Lisa
Read this book now! Give copies to everyone you know.
Lana Higbee
Really provocative, but needs better footnoting.
Khalfani Myrick
Khalfani Myrick marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Conor
Conor marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Stephany
Stephany marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Joshua Topliffe
Joshua Topliffe marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ancient
Ancient marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kevin Bluer
Kevin Bluer is currently reading it
May 08, 2015
Lukasz Zielonka
Lukasz Zielonka is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Geoffrey Staysniak
Geoffrey Staysniak marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
I wrote this; it's in English 2 6 Nov 21, 2010 07:20PM
  • Confronting Collapse: The Crisis of Energy and Money in a Post Peak Oil World
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace
  • War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier
  • Humanitarian Imperialism: Using Human Rights to Sell War
  • Red Emma Speaks
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Cruel Britannia
  • Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication
  • More Terrible Than Death: Drugs, Violence, and America's War in Colombia
  • One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the Israeli-Palestinian Impasse
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
  • The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes
  • Interventions (Open Media)
  • The Power of Nonviolence: Writings by Advocates of Peace
  • Aftermath: Following the Bloodshed of America's Wars in the Muslim World
  • Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex
  • The 9/11 Wars
  • Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars
David Swanson is the author of "When the World Outlawed War" and "War Is A Lie" and "Daybreak: Undoing the Imperial Presidency and Forming a More Perfect Union." He blogs at http://davidswanson.org and http://warisacrime.org
More about David Swanson...
Daybreak: Undoing the Imperial Presidency and Forming a More Perfect Union When the World Outlawed War War No More: The Case for Abolition Tube World The Military Industrial Complex at 50

“A central problem with the idea that wars are needed to combat evil is that there is nothing more evil than war. War causes more suffering and death than anything war can be used to combat.” 0 likes
“In selling the War on Iraq, it became important to stress that Saddam Hussein had used chemical weapons, and equally important to avoid the fact that he had done so with U.S. assistance. George Orwell wrote in 1948, “Actions are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits but according to who does them, and there is almost no kind of outrage — torture, the use of hostages, forced labor, mass deportations, imprisonment without trial, forgery, assassination, the bombing of civilians — which does not change its moral color when it is committed by ‘our’ side.…The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.”1” 0 likes