Start by marking “War Is a Lie” as Want to Read:
War Is a Lie

War Is a Lie

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
WAR IS A LIE is a thorough refutation of every major argument used to justify wars, drawing on evidence from numerous past wars, with a focus on those wars that have been most widely defended as just and good. This is a handbook of sorts, a manual to be used in debunking future lies before future wars have a chance to begin. For more information visit WarIsALie.org.
Published October 30th 2010 by David Swanson (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about War Is a Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Is a Lie

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn1984 by George OrwellManufacturing Consent by Noam ChomskyThe Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
Best Left-Texts
67th out of 329 books — 149 voters
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueJohnny Got His Gun by Dalton TrumboMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
War has no winners
24th out of 106 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

John Rachel
Jun 25, 2013 John Rachel rated it it was amazing
When we look at the current mindset of America, its obsession with terror, its political gridlock, its exceptionalist view of itself, its imperial view of the rest of the world, its immersion in violence and militarism, it's hard to grasp and embrace the overall premise of this book. Yet for reasons which range from survival to basic human decency we must.

When the Nobel Peace Prize is prematurely awarded to a warmonger like President Obama, and an author like David Swanson doesn't even make the
David Swanson
Nov 21, 2010 David Swanson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm not going to rate it because I wrote it -- in English, not Hungarian. And I am the same person as "David Swanson" who wrote "Daybreak," not a distinct "David Cn Swanson."
Reid
This book is packed with lies! And that's a good thing. Some highlights, or lowlights:

-There is no greater evil than war. Paraphrasing one example: It's not remotely possible that Saddam Hussein would have harmed Iraq nearly as much as it was harmed in the war.

-An extreme inordinate amount of deaths from war are civilians - non-participants, innocent victims. See below.

-Governments the US has overthrown:
Hawaii, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Nicaragua, Honduras, Iran, Guatemala, Vietnam, Chile,
N. Jr.
Jan 10, 2015 N. Jr. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political-govt
At first, I thought I probably knew much of the material in the book, but I was surprised to find out how ignorant I was about not only the US wars in Mexico and the Philippines, but also about World War II. In that sense alone it is worth reading, as it provides the opportunity to enlighten the reader with the details of history that have been whitewashed out of the textbooks. It is so informative, that a second read is well worth it.
Many of us now feel that war is a destructive enterprise that
Vegantrav
Jan 22, 2011 Vegantrav rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best defenses of pacifism that I have ever read.

Swanson's book is very detailed and carefully researched, providing multitudes of historical examples to argue that war is, as the great protest song declares, good for absolutely nothing.

Swanson does not shy away from the tough cases: wasn't World War II justified? What about the US and NATO's military actions to stop the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia? The answers that Swanson provides, though, are not simple, but of course, we liv
Vane Lashua
Feb 11, 2011 Vane Lashua rated it it was amazing
Just like the intro says, it's a refutation of the reasons for our pursuit of war AND the incredible and illogical addiction that we, our neighbors, "enemies", corporations, legislators and executives have for it. It stimulates thinking about the awful waste and ignorance we abide as citizens, eg,

How to stop the Afghan War: If we BOUGHT all the poppy/opium crop directly from Afghani farmers (costing us about

~$60,000,000,000 / YEAR == $175,000,000 / DAY)

would take 2/3rds of the world's heroin s
Dave/Maggie Bean
Dec 19, 2015 Dave/Maggie Bean rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
Four stars for the first ten chapters (even if too many of the quotes for my liking originate on blogs and websites).

One star for the last four.
Jonathon P
Jan 20, 2016 Jonathon P rated it did not like it
This book is terrible. What sort of PhD recipient uses blatant accusations of stupidity against a rhetorical opponent, much less a concept - war - which has theoretical roots as far back as our recorded history? Although there is much truth to what is written, it lacks academic depth. It's a rehash of all modern liberal education, and the zingers he frequently builds up to are about as insightful as a Twitter post. With a title that challenges the entire concept of warfare, I was disappointed to ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 26, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Worth reading...
Paul Brogan
Sep 03, 2014 Paul Brogan rated it liked it
Shelves: history
It took me over a year to read this book. It wasn't poorly written, it wasn't wrong, and it wasn't impenetrable. It was just long, too long, like an extended Facebook post detailing a litany of war lies and war crimes from God-knows-when, in order to what? To persuade? If so, then the unfortunate thing is that I'm already persuaded that war rarely, if ever, has a workable defence. A more bellicose soul may struggle to begin, let alone to finish or be convinced by, this lecture by David Swanson.

W
Donald Linnemeyer
Oct 08, 2011 Donald Linnemeyer rated it liked it
Shelves: history-american
In spite of the overly shrill rhetoric, Swanson does deliver on one thing: a wealth of damning, and at times disturbing, examples of objectionable war rhetoric, practices, and propaganda. The testimonies from soldiers in the Iraq War were particularly haunting. There was also a specific example of WWI propaganda that stuck with me: an image of Jesus in soldier's clothing aiming a rifle.

Worth reading if you're looking for a few handfuls of quotations and footnotes. But expect it to try your patie
Rob Granniss
Feb 23, 2011 Rob Granniss rated it really liked it
David Swanson takes aim at popular myths/lies used to excuse invasions in strategically important (and sometimes unimportant) nations. He attacks not only specific examples but the overall use of war as a solution to any problem. There's a fairly sizable section at the end of the book on ideas on how to work for peace, though like most in its genre it's sadly a bit thin.
Brian Carnell
Mar 15, 2012 Brian Carnell rated it did not like it
Based on some of the reviews on Amazon, I was looking forward to a well written critique of war propaganda. Instead, "War Is A Lie" is a disjointed, practically stream of consciousness rant that is as poorly sourced and ridiculously reasoned as the pro-war propaganda it is devoted to debunking.

Book was a complete waste of time.
Bakari
War Is a Lie is a very well-written and thought out analysis and argument for how we have been constantly lied into war. Even if you don't agree with all the author's arguments, he definitely provides insight into how we need to stop viewing war as a solution to economic and political conflict.
Paul Valente
Jan 22, 2012 Paul Valente rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Passionate and convincing polemic arguing for a world without war, filled with insights and damning evidence of state sponsored terrorism and murder. Only his argument that WWII was avoidable didn't convince me.
Paul
Jul 04, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: political
Anti-war. Not just anti-Iraq or anti-Vietnam but anti-war period. Worth reading,sharpens your thinking. A bit repetative after a while at 336 pages.
Lisa
Jun 29, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Read this book now! Give copies to everyone you know.
Lana Higbee
Sep 16, 2014 Lana Higbee rated it it was amazing
Really provocative, but needs better footnoting.
Charles Duncan
Charles Duncan rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Laurie Calhoun
Laurie Calhoun is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Erica
Erica is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Havisa
Havisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Charles A. Conway
Charles A. Conway marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Ali Ahmed
Ali Ahmed marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Eli  Dakin
Eli Dakin marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Becca J
Becca J marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
LaTonna Gentry
LaTonna Gentry marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
I wrote this; it's in English 2 7 Nov 21, 2010 07:20PM
  • Confronting Collapse: The Crisis of Energy and Money in a Post Peak Oil World: A 25-Point Program for Action
  • The complete works of Rudyard Kipling
  • The Glass Cafe: Or the Stripper and the State; How My Mother Started a War with the System That Made Us Kind of Rich and a Little Bit Famous
  • Peace
  • Humanitarian Imperialism: Using Human Rights to Sell War
  • Red Emma Speaks
  • The Decline and Fall of the American Empire
  • The 9/11 Wars
  • The Arabs: A Short History
  • Mountains Beyond Mountains (Adapted for Young People): The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer,  A Man Who Would Cure the World
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace
  • Cruel Britannia
  • The Bravest Battle: The Twenty-eight Days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
  • Mr. Thundermug
  • The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Francis: The Poor Man of Assisi
  • Crazy in America: The Hidden Tragedy of Our Criminalized Mentally Ill
David Swanson is the author of "When the World Outlawed War" and "War Is A Lie" and "Daybreak: Undoing the Imperial Presidency and Forming a More Perfect Union." He blogs at http://davidswanson.org and http://warisacrime.org
More about David Swanson...

“A central problem with the idea that wars are needed to combat evil is that there is nothing more evil than war. War causes more suffering and death than anything war can be used to combat.” 1 likes
“Norman Thomas wrote in 1935: “The Man from Mars who saw how men suffered in the last war and how frantically they are preparing for the next war, which they know will be worse, would come to the conclusion that he was looking at the denizens of a lunatic asylum.”65” 1 likes