Start by marking “The Interrogation” as Want to Read:
The Interrogation

The Interrogation

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In his latest novel of unrelenting suspense, Edgar Award—winning author Thomas Cook journeys into the darkest corners of the human heart to tell a mesmerizing story of crime and retribution–and the forces that push even good people to the breaking point.

THE INTERROGATION

Albert Jay Smalls sits in an interrogation room accused of an unspeakable crime. The police have no witn
Published October 1st 2002 by Bantam (first published September 30th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Interrogation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Interrogation

Linda
It's been a while since I read a book I liked this much. I picked it up as a filler for a heavy-duty non-fiction I'm reading and finished it right away. Although I wanted to, I didn't look ahead or skim through any parts.

Cook's writing is good enough to keep reading; he doesn't pad it by putting in details you don't need. He just keeps the action moving.

An eight-year-old girl's body has been found in the park near the lake. The woman who found the body had been frightened by a strange, wild-loo
Renato Mite
La storia è semplice. La polizia ha fermato un senzatetto nel parco in cui è stato ritrovato il cadavere di una bambina. Tutti i sospetti ricadono su di lui e per formalizzare l'arresto è necessaria una confessione. Comincia così l'ultimo interrogatorio prima che il senzatetto debba essere rilasciato. Nell'arco di una notte, i due investigatori a cui è affidato l'incarico ripercorrono con le loro domande tutta l'indagine e riescono ad aprire uno spiraglio nella vita del presunto colpevole, l'ind ...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Interrogation, by Thomas H. Cook. B-plus.
Downloaded from audible.com.
I didn’t like this book as well as the others I have read by this author. What I usually like about this author is that his books are like puzzles. Pieces fit together. One seemingly harmless episode leads to the next and everything connects in the end. This book was different, but compelling in its own way.

In this book we have two homicide detectives who are on the trail of a serial murderer and pedophile of little girls.
Bill
Craving some mystery/suspense, I picked this one up fairly randomly, and chose it based on the reviewers blurbs on the back cover:

"The psychic pain of these characters is piercing." — The New York Times Book Review

"A taut and tense procedural that takes readers on an unexpectedly exciting ride as it races toward its climax...This one gets better and better the deeper it goes." — San Francisco Chronicle

"Thomas Cook, along with Michael Connelly and James Ellroy and a few others, is imaginatively r
Wendy
1952, 7:00 p.m., Anytown, USA -
Police detectives Jack Pierce and Norman Cohen have only 11-hours for a final interrogation of Albert Jay Smalls. Smalls - a young vagrant who lives in a drainpipe, trying to live by selling things he finds - is the prime suspect in the murder of 8-year-old Catherine Lake. But, the police don't have enough evidence to hold him. A true race against time for detectives Pierce and Cohen. They have 11-hours to get more evidence, a confession, something . . . or the sus
Johnny
A solid read. As much a suspense story as it is a police procedural. Essentially a procedural with a ticking clock that maintains a fun pace, the events of the story all happening in one night (although plenty of flashbacks fill in narrative gaps).

My only problem was that the story was a little too pat. The dozen characters that populate the story are so intertwined that it feels like they are the only denizens of the fictional city where the story is set. The story integration is impressive fro
Hugo
The '50s setting is wonderfully evoked, as are the characters - both the detectives and the incidental cast - and the story slowly comes together over the course of one night, before a couple of sharp twists and an ending that you think is going to dissipate pull together in a satisfyingly unexpected final page. If The Interrogation had been written in the years in which it is set, Hitchcock would have made this into one of his best films; it has the sharp and suspenseful clockwork of Hitchcock' ...more
Freyja Vanadis
Really interesting murder mystery set in the 1950s, with a bunch of twists at the end that came as a complete surprise.
Kris
Interesting story but it's the end that made the story worthwhile
Linda Myers
This is one of my favorite authors but not one of my favorite books. Cook is always intriguing but I found this one a little forced with coincidence. Nothing is ever as it seems in his books, and that is true here as well. I liked the way the story 'braids' together in short snippets from various POVs. It might seem jerky to some, but by receiving a little info at a time, you can definitely feel like a part of the whodunit in the same way the cop characters must seek out clues.
Vicki G
Diana Sandberg
Intense – a police investigation in 1952 has 24 hours before they have to release a guy they strongly suspect killed a child. They have no solid evidence, and the guy is very difficult to pin down. Many undercurrents, much frustration, and a very surprising twist at the very end.
Keiran Broadhurst
Chris
One of the best crime novels I have ever read with a surprise ending which shocked me. Has stayed with me even though I read it some years ago. It made me want to read more of this writer's work. Brilliant.
Lynn
THIS IS A STUDY OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE BOOK, NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE CRIME OF THE MURDER OF A YOUNG GIRL. A MALE DRIVEN BOOK BASED IN THE 50'S CULTURE. THE AUTHOR IS AN EDGAR AWARD WINNER.
Hannah Etherton
Haunting tale of how things can be but not always as they seem. So many little bits where clues could have been all put together but no one had all of them
Kelly
Rating: 3 stars
This book was just "eh" for me. Kindof dry and slow, not really all that interesting or exciting. It's short (288 pages) but it feels like it took me forever to read it.
David
Strange, I have this book listed in my notebook as having read it, but I have no recollection of the story. Usually just seeing the name triggers a memory, but not in this case...
Readergirl77
Took a little while to get into, and character plot came together a little too coincidental. Still thought it was an alright read, but didn't blow me away.
Paula
All the events occur in 1952, while a suspect is being interrogated.We know the murderer identity at the very last page.
Kyle
Amazing how the most insignificant characters becomes the most important ones. A Hitchock style ending. Very enjoyable.
This guy writes some of the darkest crime fiction out there, and does it disturbingly well.
Denise
Good story overall. Some final details didn't make sense but still intriguing.
Gordon
Absolutely terrible...not worth picking it up out of a free bin!
Al Stoess
Good plot. Didn't think the writing was that good.
Abby
Really fast read, very enjoyable. Took place in the 1940s
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Ali
Ali is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • The Office of the Dead (Roth, #3)
  • Life Sentence
  • Their Wildest Dreams: A Novel
  • Lie Still
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • Darkness & Light (Frank Elder, #3)
  • The Cliff House Strangler (Sarah Woolson, #3)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Stolen in the Night
  • Flawless
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #3)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)
  • A Safe Place: The True Story of a Father, a Son, a Murder
There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.

Thomas H. Cook has been praised by critics for his attention to psychology and the lyrical nature of his prose. He is the author of more than 30 critically-acclaimed fiction books, including works of true crime. Cook published his first novel, Blood Innocents, in 1980. Cook published steadily through the 1980s, penning such works as the Fra
More about Thomas H. Cook...
The Chatham School Affair Red Leaves Sandrine's Case Breakheart Hill The Crime of Julian Wells