Start by marking “The Interrogation” as Want to Read:
The Interrogation

The Interrogation

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  307 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In his latest novel of unrelenting suspense, Edgar Award—winning author Thomas Cook journeys into the darkest corners of the human heart to tell a mesmerizing story of crime and retribution–and the forces that push even good people to the breaking point.

THE INTERROGATION

Albert Jay Smalls sits in an interrogation room accused of an unspeakable crime. The police have no witn
Published October 1st 2002 by Bantam (first published September 30th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Interrogation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Interrogation

Linda
May 10, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read a book I liked this much. I picked it up as a filler for a heavy-duty non-fiction I'm reading and finished it right away. Although I wanted to, I didn't look ahead or skim through any parts.

Cook's writing is good enough to keep reading; he doesn't pad it by putting in details you don't need. He just keeps the action moving.

An eight-year-old girl's body has been found in the park near the lake. The woman who found the body had been frightened by a strange, wild-loo
Renato Mite
Oct 09, 2014 Renato Mite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indagini
La storia è semplice. La polizia ha fermato un senzatetto nel parco in cui è stato ritrovato il cadavere di una bambina. Tutti i sospetti ricadono su di lui e per formalizzare l'arresto è necessaria una confessione. Comincia così l'ultimo interrogatorio prima che il senzatetto debba essere rilasciato. Nell'arco di una notte, i due investigatori a cui è affidato l'incarico ripercorrono con le loro domande tutta l'indagine e riescono ad aprire uno spiraglio nella vita del presunto colpevole, l'ind ...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Interrogation, by Thomas H. Cook. B-plus.
Downloaded from audible.com.
I didn’t like this book as well as the others I have read by this author. What I usually like about this author is that his books are like puzzles. Pieces fit together. One seemingly harmless episode leads to the next and everything connects in the end. This book was different, but compelling in its own way.

In this book we have two homicide detectives who are on the trail of a serial murderer and pedophile of little girls.
Bill
Jun 19, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it
Craving some mystery/suspense, I picked this one up fairly randomly, and chose it based on the reviewers blurbs on the back cover:

"The psychic pain of these characters is piercing." — The New York Times Book Review

"A taut and tense procedural that takes readers on an unexpectedly exciting ride as it races toward its climax...This one gets better and better the deeper it goes." — San Francisco Chronicle

"Thomas Cook, along with Michael Connelly and James Ellroy and a few others, is imaginatively r
Wendy
Jul 24, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
1952, 7:00 p.m., Anytown, USA -
Police detectives Jack Pierce and Norman Cohen have only 11-hours for a final interrogation of Albert Jay Smalls. Smalls - a young vagrant who lives in a drainpipe, trying to live by selling things he finds - is the prime suspect in the murder of 8-year-old Catherine Lake. But, the police don't have enough evidence to hold him. A true race against time for detectives Pierce and Cohen. They have 11-hours to get more evidence, a confession, something . . . or the sus
John Addiego
Feb 08, 2016 John Addiego rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, literary
This is a great story! The setting allows for many aspects of the suspicion and treatment of the suspect to work in ways they wouldn't today. A complex look at the two detectives and the times; a plausible and surprising twist that the reader gets but the detectives don't; another twist at the end.
Johnny
Dec 14, 2009 Johnny rated it liked it
A solid read. As much a suspense story as it is a police procedural. Essentially a procedural with a ticking clock that maintains a fun pace, the events of the story all happening in one night (although plenty of flashbacks fill in narrative gaps).

My only problem was that the story was a little too pat. The dozen characters that populate the story are so intertwined that it feels like they are the only denizens of the fictional city where the story is set. The story integration is impressive fro
Hugo
Apr 13, 2013 Hugo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The '50s setting is wonderfully evoked, as are the characters - both the detectives and the incidental cast - and the story slowly comes together over the course of one night, before a couple of sharp twists and an ending that you think is going to dissipate pull together in a satisfyingly unexpected final page. If The Interrogation had been written in the years in which it is set, Hitchcock would have made this into one of his best films; it has the sharp and suspenseful clockwork of Hitchcock' ...more
Freyja Vanadis
Nov 12, 2014 Freyja Vanadis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting murder mystery set in the 1950s, with a bunch of twists at the end that came as a complete surprise.
Kris
Oct 19, 2014 Kris rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, intrigue
Interesting story but it's the end that made the story worthwhile
Linda Myers
Jun 24, 2011 Linda Myers rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite authors but not one of my favorite books. Cook is always intriguing but I found this one a little forced with coincidence. Nothing is ever as it seems in his books, and that is true here as well. I liked the way the story 'braids' together in short snippets from various POVs. It might seem jerky to some, but by receiving a little info at a time, you can definitely feel like a part of the whodunit in the same way the cop characters must seek out clues.
Vicki G
Dec 11, 2014 Vicki G rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it
Intense – a police investigation in 1952 has 24 hours before they have to release a guy they strongly suspect killed a child. They have no solid evidence, and the guy is very difficult to pin down. Many undercurrents, much frustration, and a very surprising twist at the very end.
Maltoablativ eggplant
As many crime/murder mystery novels this one starts very exiting (5 stars). After that the novel becomes muddled by too many uninteresting characters (most of them police officers) (4-2 stars).
However the last 5 pages are super exiting and well written (5 stars).
Keiran Broadhurst
Aug 21, 2008 Keiran Broadhurst rated it liked it
Chris
Jan 20, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
One of the best crime novels I have ever read with a surprise ending which shocked me. Has stayed with me even though I read it some years ago. It made me want to read more of this writer's work. Brilliant.
Lynn
Jan 21, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
THIS IS A STUDY OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE BOOK, NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE CRIME OF THE MURDER OF A YOUNG GIRL. A MALE DRIVEN BOOK BASED IN THE 50'S CULTURE. THE AUTHOR IS AN EDGAR AWARD WINNER.
Hannah Etherton
Mar 23, 2015 Hannah Etherton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunting tale of how things can be but not always as they seem. So many little bits where clues could have been all put together but no one had all of them
Kelly
Nov 23, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Rating: 3 stars
This book was just "eh" for me. Kindof dry and slow, not really all that interesting or exciting. It's short (288 pages) but it feels like it took me forever to read it.
David
Apr 08, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook, thomas-h-cook
Strange, I have this book listed in my notebook as having read it, but I have no recollection of the story. Usually just seeing the name triggers a memory, but not in this case...
Readergirl77
Aug 06, 2012 Readergirl77 rated it liked it
Took a little while to get into, and character plot came together a little too coincidental. Still thought it was an alright read, but didn't blow me away.
Paula
Aug 06, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it
All the events occur in 1952, while a suspect is being interrogated.We know the murderer identity at the very last page.
Kyle
Jun 04, 2010 Kyle rated it really liked it
Amazing how the most insignificant characters becomes the most important ones. A Hitchock style ending. Very enjoyable.
Sep 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This guy writes some of the darkest crime fiction out there, and does it disturbingly well.
Denise
Good story overall. Some final details didn't make sense but still intriguing.
Gordon
Jan 21, 2008 Gordon rated it did not like it
Shelves: do_not_read, military
Absolutely terrible...not worth picking it up out of a free bin!
Al Stoess
Jul 01, 2011 Al Stoess rated it it was ok
Good plot. Didn't think the writing was that good.
Abby
Jul 24, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
Really fast read, very enjoyable. Took place in the 1940s
Oct 30, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
audio
Brenda J. Fox
Brenda J. Fox rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
  • False Testimony (Marty Nickerson, #4)
  • The Office of the Dead (Roth, #3)
  • Life Sentence
  • Their Wildest Dreams: A Novel
  • Lie Still
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • The Cliff House Strangler (Sarah Woolson, #3)
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Stolen in the Night
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • All Shot Up (Harlem Cycle, #5)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Darkness & Light (Frank Elder, #3)
  • A Safe Place: The True Story of a Father, a Son, a Murder
  • Flawless
  • The Body of David Hayes (Boldt/Matthews, #9)
There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.

Thomas H. Cook has been praised by critics for his attention to psychology and the lyrical nature of his prose. He is the author of more than 30 critically-acclaimed fiction books, including works of true crime. Cook published his first novel, Blood Innocents, in 1980. Cook published steadily through the 1980s, penning such works as the Fra
More about Thomas H. Cook...