Generation WTF: From What the #$%&! to a Wise, Tenacious, and Fearless You: Advice on How to Get There from Experts and WTFers Just Like You

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
We all know what “WTF” usually stands for: it’s an exclamation of frustration and anger, and it’s an understandable reaction to the tough new economic realities that have hit young adults harder than any other group. WTF happened to promises of a bright future? What happened to the jobs? And what do we do now that the rules have changed?

Recent college grads were raised in...more
Published February 4th 2011 by Templeton Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Misty
Whelan is a sociology professor specializing in self-help books. Using her students, she ran several experiments using some of the top self-help books published over the last 100 plus years, and used their feedback to develop this book. Whelan's goal was to develop a self-help book that was practical with advice that would not only work in an ideal universe, which is what is the case with a lot of self-help books.

Taking ownership of "WTF" to mean "wise, tenacious and fearless," this book is mean...more
Helen
I gave this book a quick read to see if I should recommend it to my brother (single, 25-yrs-old, no higher education, working one retail job after another, and basically clueless about how to become a self-sufficient adult). I would highly recommend this book to anyone who fits in that same category.

Whelan's writing is fun, which makes it an easy read. She gives plenty of examples from all those other famous self-help books (The Road Less Traveled, How to Win Friends and Influence People, The 7...more
Alexa
This book was full of stuff I'd already heard before. It was all advice like deciding what to do and which goals to attempt based on deciding a list of your values; using a time chart to prevent procrastination; Try to stay calm and think about how the other person feels before you get into a fight... etc. It's always nice to be reminded of some of these things, but this book didn't really present them in an interesting or new way. I feel like, if a person who hadn't already heard most of that a...more
Kate Ditzler
63% complete, and grad school got in the way. I was tripped up by the chapter on thrift, and never actually read it. I may or may not come back to this book, but as I own it, I think the chances are high that I will. I still highly recommend it.
Dani Davis
Enjoy the format of this book. It's easy to navigate & find information that met my needs; however, the target population is young adults, college students, and post undergraduates.
Bonnie G.
Great "self-help" compilation of all these weird ass how to prepare for life guides. Yup. You just have to read it to believe it.
Madi
Madi marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Tay Octavia
Tay Octavia marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Breonna
Breonna marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Brittany Skaggs
Brittany Skaggs marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Gundopush
Gundopush marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Chung Chin
Chung Chin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Joe Juvland
Joe Juvland marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Sarabeth
Sarabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Carol
Carol added it
Apr 22, 2013
Franco
Franco marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Ari Davis
Ari Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2013
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women Marry Smart: The Intelligent Woman's Guide to True Love Porque Homens Inteligentes se Casam com Mulheres Inteligentes