Start by marking “The Queen of Spades and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Spades and Other Stories
Read Book

The Queen of Spades and Other Stories

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  4,058 ratings  ·  85 reviews
This volume contains new translations of four of Pushkin's best works of fiction. The Queen of Spades has long been acknowledged as one of the world's greatest short stories, in which Pushkin explores the nature of obsession. The Tales of Belkin are witty parodies of sentimentalism, while Peter the Great's Blackamoor is an early experiment with recreating the past. The Cap ...more
Published August 19th 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1834)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Best Russian Literature
28th out of 380 books — 1,517 voters
Oliver Twist by Charles DickensThe Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan PoeThe Red and the Black by StendhalThe Little Mermaid by Hans Christian AndersenThe Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo
Best Books of the Decade: 1830s
9th out of 72 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

SZ
So I was refused entry on the bus home because I had a cup of coffee with me, "Get rid of the coffee or you're not getting on." It wasn't a case of No Food Consumed On Vehicle either, this guy was just a wanker. Apparently I've not reached the age where I have sufficient motor skills to hold something which essentially is a grown-up sippy cup without dropping it. God forbid my caffeinated drink would ruin the pristine condition of skanky buses with no air con or heating, chewing gum from 2005 st ...more
brinson leigh
Timeless and accessible writing. I thoroughly appreciated Pushkin`s stories infused with seeds of historical trivia and perspective. I also enjoyed his use of humor and irony to mock comedic, sentimental, or ironic writing. As was I impressed with his successful addresses to the audience... in fact, he pulls off many things I`m traditionally not a fan of ... kudos! An aside, the translation is brilliant... it`s hard to seperate authors really, but amazing word choices and phrasing.
Samantha
Alexandr Pushkin is a wonderful storyteller. He is insightful and witty...in my opinion Russia's greatest poet (followed closely by Anna Akhmatova).
If you're looking for other stories from Russian authors I would also recommend Gogol, Bulgokov, and the lesser appreciated Turgenev (I loved Fathers and Sons). I mean really you just can't go wrong.
Sandra
Tre brevi incantevoli racconti, di cui La dama di picchè è il più famoso. Forse anche il più bello, non saprei fare una graduatoria. Posso dire che il racconto, che narra dell’irrefrenabile ambizione di un giovane con pochi mezzi economici che lo condurrà alla follia, è un perfetto equilibrio di stili, dal romantico al fantastico al gotico, tenuti insieme da una scrittura brillante e da una sottile ironia. Vorrei parlare di uno degli altri due racconti, Il mastro di posta. Mi è piaciuto molto. Q ...more
Danielle
Fantastic stories, although 2 are unfortunately incomplete. Pushkin's writing is so fantastic that I feel like I could actually relate to and immerse myself in 18th century Russia amidst rebels and Robin Hood like figures and land squabbles. The most bizarre thing to me was that there are several references, in various stories to "gingers." I'm naive (and happily so) to things like that, but I totally thought South Park made 'ginger' into a ridiculous taunt to people with beautiful red hair. Evi ...more
Paulina
I've lately developed quite an interest in the fabulous Russian literature. And Pushkin, well, he's supposedly one of the most fabulous Russians. I've been quite afraid of him - I somehow had an image of monstrous romantic poetry.
How very wrong I was.
Pushkin combines wonderous Russian fairytales, historical fiction and makes it all so interesting that you're feeling as if you were watching an 18th century soap opera. And Dubrovsky. By Jove what a man.
And did I mention that Alexander is a fantas
Ernie
Let's put it this way...Pushkin is one of my new favorite authors! I am embarassed to say that I have never read anything from Pushkin before this, and I'm craving for more...lots more. He is such a phenomenal story teller. As you read, you just become more and more interested in the characters and development. I have lots more to read from this genius. (I only gave it four stars because I was afraid this collection and translation doesn't do Pushkin justice...and I've yet to read more...)
Riccardo
Tre dei racconti più belli e coinvolgenti racconti del folleggiante e capriccioso genio universale, definizione data ad Aleksandr Puskin da Tommaso Landolfi, che ha curato la traduzione di questa edizione de "La dama di picche e altri racconti". Tre storie capaci di impressionare, avvincere e commuovere.
Si comincia con Il fabbricante di bare un racconto in bilico tra realtà e sogno nel quale un uomo, un fabbricante di bare, appunto, si trova a vivere, dopo una notte di festa e bagordi, si trova
David
A wise friend once mentioned that he hadn't met one of the Russian writers that he hadn't liked. Pushkin is certainly no exception, though his style is interestingly different from the others of the classic Russian canon. It's reminds me of Hemingway, though these particular stories don't seem to reach as high. Though not stories I would die without being able to read, they are still very good.
JK
What a man Pushkin was.

What's most startling about Pushkin and this collection is how modern and relatable the stories are -both in theme and language- ... you wouldn't think in this day and age of silly technology that a guy from 19th century Russia would be so open to connection.
Joachim Viktil
The first half had a great short story, but then the second half had several bits of poems. Some of these didn't appeal to me, but I world recommend the first half.
Linda
Reread all but Peter the Great's Blackamoor

Much more enjoyable than I remember it being. The Captain's Daughter is a masterpiece. The Belkin Tales are fun.
Marie
Such beautiful stories. Such a contrast to other Russian authors that I have read as in contrast these stories are as light as a feather. All the heaviness is hidden behind the words where you can choose to not understand or see the social comment and just enjoy the ghost story (the first short story with the same name as the collection). It might have been the translation but I found the style very reminiscent of Saki a great prewar English satirist. I also very much enjoyed that in some of the ...more
Abby
Pushkin, what a delight! He’s fun. I feel like he’s more lighthearted than his (now more famous) countrymen.
Lynne
Pushkin is amazingly readable, and many of the stories are charming. VERY good read.
Khaled Kalache
استمتعت بقراءة هذا الكتاب كثيرا .. قصص قصيرة ممتعة من عصر استثنائي .. طابع القصة و ترابطها و نهايتها الغريبة و التي لا تتوقعها أبدا و التي تجعلك تتسائل مغزاها الخفي .. نوعي المفضل من القصص ..
نسخة الكتاب التي أملكها هي بالانجليزية و العربية .. اضافة أخرى جعلتني أحب هذا الكتاب و أقرأه باللغة الأنجليزية .. شيئ ساهم في تحسين لغتي الانجليزية .. أنصح جميع من يريد أن يتعلم اللغة الانجليزية أن يقتني نسخة مشابهة ..
مرة أخرى أقتنع أن الادب الروسي القديم هو الأفضل ..
لذلك كتبت رأيي في الكتاب باللغتين العربية
Marie
There are four stories in this collection, the shortest of which is the titular "Queen of Spades".

"The Negro of Peter the Great" is an unfinished historical epic - it just leaves off mid-sentence. An interesting sentence, too! The book's introduction reports some words of Pushkin's that hint at the story's end. The titular character, Ibrahim, is a sort of paragon, despite having fallen for a married woman in Paris, and then faces the difficult prospect of a marriage arranged to a girl who object
Janet
These 6 atmospheric short stories by Russia's Shakespeare, Alexander Pushkin, would not be the works I would judge him by--as I would not judge a master chef by his sandwiches--yet they're wonderful sandwiches. Written in the early 19thC, they're full of twists and turns, domineering old ladies and pious young girls and Hussars, and always end startlingly. Charming.

Note: this is the newsprintish Dover edition, which does not contain the Captain's Daughter, Tales of Belkin etc. I would generally
Miss Kodok
Berkisah tentang seorang tentara bernama Hermann.
Hermann tidak mempunyai banyak uang meskipun ia sangat ingin bisa bermain kartu (judi maksudnya). Ia tidak ingin uangnya habis sia-sia di meja judi sampai suatu malam Hermann berkenalan dengan Tomsky yang menceritakan tentang neneknya (seorang Countess) yang mempunyai sebuah rahasia tentang permainan kartu yang telah membuatnya kaya raya.

Berpura-pura jatuh cinta pada Lizavyeta, seorang gadis yang tinggal di rumah sang Countess, Hermann berhasil me
Núria
La edición que tengo yo en realidad se llama "Azar en el juego" y contiene tres cuentos: "Azar en el juego", "La hidalga campesina" y "El desafío". El primero, a pesar de que le han puesto este título, es "La dama de picas", en el que me encanta el personaje de la joven dama de compañía de la vieja condesa, que es pobre y se siente frustrada y atrapada en una vida gris y triste, pero el final es demasiado moralista y el elemento sobrenatural me parece metido con calzador, aún así tiene de vez en ...more
Czarny Pies
Sep 30, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Russian Literature
Recommended to Czarny by: Tchaikovsky and the Canadian Opera Company
Shelves: russian-lit
People who know languages like French or English can scarcely imagine the tools that the inflected slavic languages place in the hands of their poets. Hence reading Pushkin's poetry in translation allows the reader at best to perceive his genius through a glass darkly.

The best means then for a French or English speaker to get to know Pushkin might be to read a collection of Pushkin's stories.

For those of you living near a major metropolitan centre my recommendation would be to take in a perform
Ty
During my teenage years I was introduces to Pushkin's stories and I must say that I loved every single story. So beautifully written, such details about all his characters. I actually felt like I'm sitting next to Pushkin and listening to his voice. Very fascinating way to keep entraced in his stories.
Debra
Oct 11, 2014 Debra added it
The first book I had to read in Russian after one term of study at university! It was very hard work as I had to look up almost every other word in the dictionary. I think its literary merit was to some extent buried under the effort of understanding the text, so it wouldn't be fair to rate it.
Andrew Corcut
Quite simply wonderful. Clear, simple and lucid prose draws the reader into a collection of fabulous short stories. The Queen of Spades is a supernatural short story and a warning about greed and dishonesty and is arguably the brightest jewel in this collection of gems.
Hamid Hasanzadeh
پوشکین جدا یکی از بهترین هاست.. داستایوسکی می گوید : ادبیات اروپایی نابغه هایی چون شکسپیر و سروانتس و شیلر را به جهان داده است. اما در میان این نوابغ یک نفر را به من نشان بدهید که به اندازه پوشکین ادراک جهانی داشته باشد
Lodovico
Tre bei racconti brevi, ognuno dei quali ti lascia un piacevole ricordo. La dama di picche è quello strutturato meglio, ma metto sul gradino più alto Il mastro di posta, che mi ha lasciato piacevolmente malinconico.
Atashi
Pushkin is a classic writer and his stories genuinely seem to be connected with history. He was able to mix hisory and fiction well. Loved it!!
Elenora
Bronwyn Voth
It seems the Goodreads free ebook is The Queen of Spades and No Other Stories. It ended with this story, which I enjoyed.
As much as I enjoyed these short stories from Pushkin, I wasn't drawn in the way I was with Tolstoy.
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • Demon
  • Sketches from a Hunter's Album
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
  • Selected Poems
  • The Selected Poems
  • Nervous People and Other Satires
  • Selected Poems
  • Sleepwalker in a Fog
  • The Gentleman from San Francisco and Other Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
In Cyrillic: Александр Пушкин

(Francophone version: Alexandre Pouchkine)

Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin was a Russian Romantic author who is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature Pushkin pioneered the use of vernacular speech in his poems and plays, creating a style of storytelling—mixing drama, romance, and satire—associated with Russian literature
More about Alexander Pushkin...
Eugene Onegin The Captain's Daughter The Tale of Tsar Saltan Tales of Belkin and Other Prose Writings Ruslan and Ludmila

“писем были им подписаны; никогда с ним не говорила, не слыхала его голоса, никогда” 0 likes
“Бабушка, которая всегда была строга к шалостям молодых людей, как-то сжалилась над Чаплицким.” 0 likes