Start by marking “The Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories

The Collected Stories

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,256 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Pushkin’s prose tales are the foundation stones on which the great novels of Turgenev, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky were built, but they are also brilliant and fascinating in their own right. In both prose and verse, Pushkin was one of the world’s great storytellers: direct and dramatic, clear-sighted, vivid, and passionate.

This new and expanded Everyman’s edition of his storie
Published December 21st 1999 by Everyman's Library - Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1828)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Best Russian Literature
69th out of 390 books — 1,604 voters
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
MUST READ RUSSIAN CLASSICS
47th out of 115 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex Kartelias
Being the first Russian writer I've ever read, I have nothing to compare Pushkin to. But all the amazing things I've heard about him, ring true after reading these tails-especially his poetry. I am mostly more into Romanticism than Realism but, Pushkin's writing style is beautiful even in an English translation and his frequent delving into deep pathos, plot- turns and shocking climaxes makes his work shine with luster amidst the snowy settings. There's a haunting and romantic gloom that sets th ...more
Zach
Dec 04, 2007 Zach rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Russians
From these fine paper leafs strung with needle and thread in a red binding sprung the brightest truths, and fiery words that ever a pen has splashed on the dawn of the warmest day in literary history.
Fatma Burçak
Feb 07, 2015 Fatma Burçak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Klasikler denince ilk aklımıza gelen Rus Klasikleri olur nedense. Selim İleri Sözünü Sakınmadan ’da klasik kurgunun 18.- 19. yy Rus Edebiyatı’yla zirveye çıktığını, orada tamamlandığını söylemiş ve onu aşmanın artık mümkün olmadığını belirtmişti. Bir de hayatın farklı dönemlerinde klasikleri en az üç kere okumak gerektiğini söyleyen bir deyim var, bilirsiniz.
Rus Klasiklerini yeniden okumaya karar verdiğimde bu kez öyle aklıma estiği, elime geçtiği gibi değil de zaman bilimsel (kronolojik) bir sı
Aaron
Jul 30, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing
So. . .I've been fairly obsessed with the Russians lately; on a whim bought this book here, as well as a Collection of Tales by Gogol, Great Short Works of Dostoevsky, and also his The Idiot. And one by one I devoured them all, starting with the Idiot. I don't know what it is about those Russians that kills me (well, I do have an idea. . .but those reveries do not belong here), but during those weeks I was anticipating getting home from work like there was a fat steak waiting there for me (this ...more
Katie
Feb 11, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
Pushkin's prose is best when he's got his tongue in his cheek but he has amazing range and the heroic tales are fun too. "Tales of the Late Ivan Petrovich Belkin" were my favorite and made me want to reread Gogol.

Be forewarned that many of the stories/novellas are incomplete, so this book will leave you wanting more. The introduction, which is not so great, takes too long to mention this. I also would have liked from the introduction more about exactly how he influenced Tolstoy et al. and what h
Nels Mattson
Jun 24, 2007 Nels Mattson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Russian literature
although not as powerful as eugene onegin, this collection of stories was a pleasure to read. most of the stories are unfinished and they sometimes feel like variations on a theme rather than several unique stories.
Katherine
Dec 13, 2015 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
“Never in my life had I seen such a cheerless graveyard” (118).
“Of all those who censured him, Berestov, whose chief characteristic was a loathing of innovations, was the most severe” (120).
“...and the golden ranks of clouds seemed to be awaiting the sun…” (125).
“In brief, society was pretty rotten” (170).
“...out of respect for his rank, years and corpulence…” (190).
“‘How does a sculptor see, in a block of Carrara marble, the hidden Jupiter, and how, by chipping off its envelope with hammer and
Alp Turgut
Rus Edebiyatı'nın babası sayılan Alexander Pushkin'in tüm öykü ve romanlarını barındıran Hasan Ali Yücel Dizisinin "Yüzbaşının Kızı - Bütün Öyküler, Bütün Romanlar" toplaması 38 gibi genç bir yaşta hayatını kaybetmiş Pushkin'in ne kadar harika bir yazar olduğunu okuyucuya sunan fazlasıyla değerli bir eser. Dostoyevski, Tolstoy ve Çehov gibi kendinden sonraki tüm Rus yazarlara ilham kaynağı olmuş Pushkin'in eselerini okudukça bu kadar genç yaşta ölmüş olmasına gerçekten üzülüyorsunuz. Bazı eserle ...more
Hansen Wendlandt
The Prose Tales of Pushkin is a brilliant evolution of Pushkin's writing into a nation’s writing. Generally, the narrative can drag at time, but the creativity of style is superb. Nearly every tale is constructed with a ‘modern’ twist, offering the first scents of Nabokov and Tolstoy. Perhaps even authors of all languages can thank Pushkin for the trope of beginning stories/chapters with other quotes, such as this: “Whichever dress you wear, my darling, you are always beautiful.” (Squire’s Daugh ...more
Joan
Sep 20, 2009 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began to read this book because our book club was having a meeting featuring Russian authors. I had procrastinated and having only time for a 'short' Russian book went to the library in search of something. Happily, I came across this book of short stories, fragments of stories and a novella which represent the complete prose of Pushkin.

The stories, written between 1827 and 1836, are wonderfully readable in the translation by Gillon Aitken. Literature scholars may laugh, but the short stories
Patrick
Jun 04, 2015 Patrick rated it liked it
Pushkin is great at quickly sketching characters (although without much depth) and atmosphere and thrusting the reader into compelling action, but either he did not know how to write middles and endings to stories, or he never had the time, because, with the exception of the Tales of Belkin, The Queen of Spades, The Captain's Daughter, and his History of Pugachev, these remain unfinished. They have the immediacy of fairy tales, but unfortunately, we will never find out if the heroes prevail.
Paulo Migliacci
Apr 21, 2015 Paulo Migliacci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Shot' ranks high up there with Conrad's 'The Duel' among the best duel tales ever written; 'The Queen of Spades' and 'The Captain's Daughter' are as good re-read now I'm almost pushing 50 as they were when I was 15. Translator Gillon Aitken tries the impossible and almost succeeds - and who could ask for more? (I have some nits to pick with his choice of words, and my in-house Russian translation expert has some more, but the end-result is commendable all the same.) On the negative side, Pu ...more
Frankie
Feb 26, 2009 Frankie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
I'm happy to find that Pushkin's prose is as good as his verse, if not easier to comprehend in translation. There are names dropped and (in this edition) asterisks substituted for prominent names, just as in his poetry. This can be tedious. Another slight shortcoming: many of these short stories and novellas end abruptly with the editor's "Pushkin never completed this story." While I don't enjoy these conclusions, I appreciate Pushkin's ability to conclude at every paragraph.

"Dubrovsky" holds my
Keso
May 05, 2015 Keso rated it it was amazing
Alexander Pushkin is really amazing and I love all his short and long stories.

This collection of his stories is really good and I'd recommend you to read this one if you love high quality.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
Read: The Guests Were Arriving at the Dacha, A Novel in Letters, Kirdzhali, A Tale of Roman Life, Egyptian Nights, The Captain's Daughter. Collectively, his works address the meaning of aristocracy in 19th century Russia. Pushkin lived a life worthy of his novels. He is described in the intro as "rich and rakish." He gambled. He died in a duel. He had previously been exiled and then was befriended by the Tsar. He married 17-year old Natasha which was both a source of joy and complication in his ...more
علی
Jun 17, 2007 علی rated it it was ok
آنچه پوشکین شاعر، به نثر نوشته، اساس آثاری ست که نویسندگان روسی بعد از او نظیر تورگنیف، تولستوی و داستایوسکی خلق کرده اند. پوشکین در شعر هم، راوی بزرگی ست، سرشار از احساسات دراماتیک. این مجموعه داستان، تقریبن تمامی آثار مهم و خواندنی پوشکین را شامل می شود؛ "دختر کاپتین"، "قصه های بلکین"، "داستان پوگاچف"، مردی که با تمام قدرت علیه کاترین کبیر ملکه ی روس، قد علم کرد، و برخی دیگر از داستان ها.

اغلب داستان ها را می توان در دو مجموعه ی "داشتن و نداشتن" و "باغ بهشت" (نام اصلی "باغ عدن") یافت که هر دو د
Florencia
May 18, 2014 Florencia marked it as to-read
My birthday is in November.
I'm just saying.
Chris
I was surprised to realise I hadn't read this. Its quintessentially Russian, and yet universal in the themes. While the characters are sometimes very traditional Russian serfs and landowners, they also have human flaws and come to bad ends, even if they are good or bad. There are many love stories, disappointed heirs, soldiers and playboys, beautiful women and aristocrats. In the background are the French-Napoleon as the great Satan, but conflicting with the Russian love affair with French cultu ...more
Peter Landis
Pushkin is an excellent storyteller...when he can bring himself to finish a tale.

About half of the short stories in this book are unfinished. My sense, though, is that he delighted in experimenting in new forms of storytelling, but would get bored after starting.

With all the excerpts, however, it somehow brings credibility to Pushkin. You are left feeling as if these are fragments of ancient documents that had been lost centuries ago.
Edward

--The Captain's Daughter

Notes
Og Maciel
Aug 02, 2014 Og Maciel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Pushkin and I can honestly say that I really liked it. Though most of his stories don't align with the realities of our times, they are very captivating specially if you enjoy reading about the times when honor and staying true to one's word still meant something. It is too bad that many of his stories were never finished... Definitely read "The Queen of Spades" for a different style.
Aynur
Jun 28, 2014 Aynur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: facebook
Kişiyi kendi iç dünyası ile yüzleşmeye itecek hoş bir kitap Yüzbaşının Kızı.Aleksandr Puşkin'in bir subay olarak savaşığı yılları ve aşık olduğu yüzbaşının kızı da dahil hayatının bir kısmını saf bir şekilde anlatması okuyucuyu kendine çeken bir başka etken.Kitaplığınızda ve en önemlisi de hayatınızda yer etmesi gereken bir yapıt.İyi okumalar..
Lance
Jan 23, 2011 Lance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
There is certainly a reason why Pushkin is the most celebrated author in Russia. His nuanced characterization of the Russian intelligentsia is way ahead of his time, foreshadowing many future philosophical analyses, like Habermas and the Vekhi. If you're interested in the unique way modernity developed in Russia, these stories are a must read.
Jim Booth
Feb 28, 2015 Jim Booth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pushkin's prose tales, mostly uncompleted, tantalize and torment readers both with their beauty and with the wistful sense of 'what might have been' that their incompleteness conveys....

See the full essay at www.newsoutherngentleman.wordpress.com - link at my Goodreads page. Thanks for stopping by...

S. Chandler
I hate to be cliche, but I did like "The Captain's Daughter" best. The translation was very readable and enjoyable. Pushkin loves both the great character and the weird, but intriguing tale. I picked the volume up while traveling to Moscow 15+ years ago. It was fun to get back to it.
Jamie Schoffman
Jan 13, 2014 Jamie Schoffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pushkin is often under appreciated, but having come before Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, he must be given his due. His prose is never better then The Queen of Spades, prominently featured on the cover. If you're a fan of Russian literature, you must read this book.
Fernando Nájera
Clearly Pushkin’s idea of prose was merely ascetic (or at least that's how I percieve it). In his poetry he indulges himself, but in his prose there is always an element of mortification. ‘Precision and brevity,’ he wrote: he was a universal artist.
Caitlin
Sep 13, 2010 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
One of Russia's most important writers, and a great contributer to early Russian literature, Pushkin's stories are delightful. They lack the heavy topics of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, but they remain quintessentially Russian.
Calvin
Mar 03, 2008 Calvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian-studies
Frankly any collection with the short story "the Shot" in it would rate 5 stars for me if the rest of the book was filled with random chapters from Harlequin Romances.
Elizabeth
I like Pushkin, so I enjoyed the book, but sometimes when I'm reading Pushkin, I realize that I would rather be reading an overdone biography than one of his stories.
  • The Overcoat and Other Tales of Good and Evil
  • White Walls: Collected Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida (Penguin Classics)
  • Great Short Works
  • The Selected Poems
  • Pushkin House
  • The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader
In Cyrillic: Александр Пушкин

(Francophone version: Alexandre Pouchkine)

Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin was a Russian Romantic author who is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature Pushkin pioneered the use of vernacular speech in his poems and plays, creating a style of storytelling—mixing drama, romance, and satire—associated with Russian literature
More about Alexander Pushkin...

“Kendimizi kandırmaya gücümüzün yetmediği sıralarda, atasözleri şaşılacak kadar yararlar işimize.” 1 likes
“Nereye varacak bu politik materyalizmin sonu? Bu gidişe dur demenin zamanı geldi artık!” 0 likes