Start by marking “Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar” as Want to Read:
Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar

Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #6)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,595 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In March 1987, a young author from Oklahoma published her first novel, "Arrows of the Queen." This modest book about a magical land called Valdemar was the beginning of a fantasy masterwork series that would span decades and include more than two dozen titles. Now readers can take a journey to the world of Valdemar-including Tanya Huff, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Fiona Patton ...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Daw Books (first published October 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar

Olga Godim
This is a collection of short stories from the Lackey’s Valdemar universe. Some of the stories are better than others. My favorites were Heart’s Choice by Kate Paulk and Heart’s Own by Sarah A. Hoyt. Although both stories are written by different authors, they take place in the same village (not just world, which is a Valdemar world anyway) and employ the same set of characters, even the same family, a year apart from each other. Both stories deal with the same fundamental theme: Who is human? W ...more
Izlinda
Kathy Davie
Apr 26, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
An anthology of fifteen tales of young adult fantasy in a theme of finding your path in Valdemar.

Series:
"Heart's Choice" and "Heart's Own" (Heart)

The Stories
Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon's "Finding the Way" is an unexpected pairing of a hertasi with a Companion in which the hertasi teaches the Companion patience so she may survive until her Chosen is ready. Twisty little tale!

Rosemary Edgehill and Denise McCune's "In Burning Zones We Build Against the Sun" is a rather depressing tale of the un
Allison
I much prefer Mercedes Lackey's own analyses and explanations as well as her love stories and development of a unique magic system. Though I knew this was a collection of short stories by different authors, the voices were so very different that it felt disjointed and false. Several of the stories involve the same power--Mindspeech--which becomes boring after a few reads. Though some sideways characters like the Shin'a'in received some attention, most of the characters were just regular people w ...more
Joy
Nov 01, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another excellent selection of stories set in Mercedes Lackey's world of Valdemar, with a few excursions to other well-known locations such as Karse and the Dhorisha Plains. I enjoyed all of the stories greatly, and there is a good mix of lengths from a very short story to the near-novella written by ML herself. If you enjoy other books of Valdemar, and especially if you like characters introduced by other "Tales of Valdemar" books, you'll enjoy this one too.
Diana
This is book is an anthology of stories based off of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey. I love this series and these short stories are great. A word of caution,if you're looking into starting this series, don't read the anthologies first, you need the basis of the novels for the anthologies to make sense.
Kristin
Oct 20, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories were decent, a couple were actually good, but many were truly terrible. The editing was bad as well: in one story, a character's name changed spelling halfway through. Overall, most of the stories were just poor fanfiction, not decent stories in their own right.
Ruby Hollyberry
No more than a couple of mediocre stories among the really good ones, and two more Jem and Ree stories makes this anthology extremely satisfying to me.
Ryan G
Mar 25, 2011 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with all things Velgarth, the world that the Kingdom of Valdemar exists in. I snatch every book up that I find, though I still am missing three books, and I devour them almost instantly. Finding the Way is the new fifteen story anthology that explores the world of Heralds, Healers, Bards, and other citizens of the land. Mickey Zucker Reichert, Fiona Patton, Rosemary Edghill, Larry Dixon, Elisabeth Waters, and Mercedes Lackey all continue to draw upon their creative talent to expand ...more
Mieneke
Jan 17, 2011 Mieneke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
I've been a huge fan of Mercedes Lackey's work since I was fourteen, so writing an objective review was always going to be hard. So I thought I'd just come out and say it: I love Mercedes Lackey's books; they are my literary chocolate, I can reread them time and again and no one is going to take them from me, so there! Well, now I've got that rather adolescent statement of my chest, here is a more mature, but probably equally fangirlish piece by me on why you should read Mercedes Lackey over on ...more
Cris
A very mixed bag. Several of the stories were really good with well-developed characters, a strong story, and a satisfactory resolution. Several stories were pretty lackluster. And one story was the worst Valdemaran story I've ever read. (Several stories contained reoccurring characters from earlier collections. While you can probably pick up enough to follow those stories, it would be easier if you've read the earlier stories.) I'm only going to specifically mention a few.

Finding the way by Mer
Pamela
I always enjoy reading stories about Valdemar and its environs. The story collections are usually quite a mixed bag (some collections are better than others), but this one starts off with a bang with a great story from Lackey and Dixon about a hertasi Pathfinder and a Companion seeking a Chosen. Really good story with excellent world building and characterization.

The other stories were generally good, but I thought the collection was hampered by some clunkers--which failed, I think mostly becaus
Luseride
Jul 26, 2016 Luseride rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories in the country of Valedemar and surrounding kingdoms. From the expecting story of being Chosen and one such story that was a bit different to talks of bards, healers, and even a servant of Vankis Sunlord.

Each story adds to the fabric of the land and gives the reader a richer understanding of the world that Valdemar inhabits.
Marina
Really liked this antho.It had a lot of continued stories in it which I loved.The following are my 4 star rated stories.

Finding the Way by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon
In Burning Zones We Build Against the Sun by Rosemary Edghill and Denise McCune. 3/4 stars
A Charm of Finches by Elisabeth Waters -Continued tale!
Healing in White by Kristen Schwengel -Continued tale!
Songs of a Certain Sort by Brenda Cooper -Continued tale!3/4 stars
Otherwise Engaged by Stephanie Shaver -Continued tale!
Heart’s Ch
Dawn Livingston
Aug 09, 2014 Dawn Livingston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is the first Valdemar anthology I've read. I liked the individual stories and I liked the anthology as a whole. The stories seem to be set after The Mage Storms trilogy so they should be read prior to this anthology. I recommend this book to any that are fans of the Valdemar series of books.
annapi
Jan 31, 2016 annapi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Lackey's Valdemar anthologies are always fun. The only story that didn't impress me was The Education of Evita by Mickey Zucker Reichert - a little too simplistic for my taste. The rest were pretty good, nothing stood out as truly great. All in all a nice trip back to a favorite world.
Jess Cullinan
An uneven collection, but some good stories. I prefer it when short stories are truly stand-alone, however, and there are several here that are obvious continuations of previous work. It's like reading a sequel before you've read the original. Annoying!
Lisa
Jan 07, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Overall, I enjoyed this collection. However, there were several stories that just didn't seem to be up to the quality of the other anthologies. Nor like the authors had read much, or knew much, of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar. If you are going to play around in another author's "world", one well established and well loved by fans, at least learn a little bit about it (such as proper spelling and have a decent idea of the canon). Also, having a well defined plot rather than meandering through the p ...more
Alayne
Jun 19, 2016 Alayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable anthology of short stories, set in the Valdemar universe, by other authors and including one by Mercedes Lackey.
Jeremy Preacher
The Valdemar anthologies have become pretty predictable - the roster doesn't vary much, and most of the authors are using the same characters - but they're pretty consistently solid, and Valdemar is comfort food by definition. The Tanya Huff entry was heartbreaking in a way that is totally supported by the logic of the universe. Not all of the others felt so perfectly suited (Sarah Hoyt's characters are only tangentially connected, and as delightful as Fiona Patton's city-cop adventures are, I h ...more
Shiloh (Fantastic Reading)
Normally, I find short-story collections where other authors are playing in a famous author's world very annoying--even when that world is Velgarth. Usually I buy these collections to read the novellas that Lackey writes to include in the collection. However, this particular collection was actually quite good, with a few stories I may have to rank higher than Lackey's novella in terms of plotting and character development. Almost every short story collection I buy has at least 3-4 stories I end ...more
Narariel
Jul 14, 2016 Narariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Something of a mixed collection, this anthology has both very good stories and some that are less so. There are at least two I'll skip the next time I read the book, but at least one of the stories in it ranks among my favorites in all of the Valdemar anthologies I've read. All of the stories seem to have at least some of the flavor of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar world, though the settings vary a lot. Several of the stories involve recurring characters from other anthologies but they don't requir ...more
Debbie Ledesma
I enjoyed the stories. Always love Valdemar.
Clare
Jun 21, 2011 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I'm a great fan of Valdemar novels (even those not written by the wonderful Ms Lackey) but I just found these tales a little TOO short. There was not enough depth and just when you started to get into the feel of the characters and the plot, boom, it's done.

A little problem with premature culmination...sure there's someone you can see about that...

That said - I will always enjoy books and short stories based in Valdemar - to give in to my naivety that people can truly be good and have shiny whi
Megalion
Apr 01, 2016 Megalion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mix of stories. So far the memorable ones are the first one written by Mercedes herself, the two shorts (Heart's Choice and Heart's Own) featuring the same set of characters between them, and Change of Life.

Also a pleasure to read: A Charm of Finches and The Groom's Price.

4.25 stars for the overall collection. More if only considering the named shorts.
Terri
Jan 23, 2011 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2011
This was a decent collections of short stories set in Valdemar and surrounding countries after the end of of the Storm series. Like all collections, this one has some really strong stories and some weaker ones, but if you're a fan of the Valdemar series, I'd recommend it. If you are not familiar with the world, skip it, since a lot of the stories won't make much sense without a point of reference.
Susan Schnelbach
Unlike the last anthology I read (a horror anthology edited by Kevin Anderson), this collection of Valdemar short stories edited by Mercedes Lackey was excellent. Every story was written not only by a talented writer, but by one who clearly understands the Valdemar universe. I will now try to find copies of this book and all other Valdemar anthologies to add to my collection.
Mary Beth
Dec 18, 2010 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another great group of stories about Valdemar. I have been enjoying all of the various story lines that have been developed by all of the authors. Each author is adding to their characters and making me want more and longer stories! Ree and Jem are such great characters and I am hoping perhaps we will see a longer story including them! I highly recommend this book!
Cindy
Jan 19, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Mercedes Lackey's world of Valdemar. This is a collection of short stories written in that world. Some are by Mercedes and others are written by other authors. They were all good - I wouldn't recommend this for someone just starting to read the Valdemar series. For a fan like me, I thought it was a nice visit - although it was too short!
Jo Oehrlein
Lots of "chosing" stories in this one where people are chosen by a Companion.

Two new Jem and Ree stories, but they're put next to each other and very little time separates them, so it's really like one longer one.

Nice short short story about the wife of one of the friends of Selenay's first husband and what happened after the treasonous event.
Madison Mega-Mara...: finding the way 1 4 Apr 10, 2012 05:57PM
  • Sword and Sorceress IX
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Sword and Sorceress 23
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Tales of Valdemar (9 books)
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)
  • Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #3)
  • Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #4)
  • Changing the World: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #5)
  • Under the Vale and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #7)
  • No True Way: All New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #8)
  • Crucible: All-New Tales of Valdemar