Start by marking “Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills” as Want to Read:
Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  457 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
'Creative Workshop' is based on a seminar crafted to help students & working designers gain broad exposure to a wide range of design disciplines & develop the depth of skills necessary to excel as a working professional.
Published November 24th 2010 by Northlight (first published October 28th 2010)

Thinking with Type by Ellen LuptonUniversal Principles of Design by William LidwellGraphic Icons by John   CliffordPicture This by Molly BangThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman
Design Books
10th out of 16 books — 6 voters
Don't Make Me Think, Revisited by Steve KrugThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James GarrettMental Models by Indi YoungDesigning for Emotion by Aarron Walter
The Only UX Reading List Ever
48th out of 66 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea James
Sep 04, 2014 Andrea James rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
I'm not a designer or even someone who works in a strictly creative industry (unless you consider business consulting "creative") so with that caveat, here is my review.

I was interested in this book because partly because I like exercises to stimulate ideas and solutions to problems (even seemingly boring business problems). And also because I deliver training sessions and so I'm always on the lookout for ways to give people insights. If it takes a creative exercise to bring about an ah-ha momen
Cindy
Jul 16, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Great way to become inspired and get going. I do a couple of exercises in here and it's enough for me to push out 4-8 visually appealing prototypes to be turned into high fidelity prototypes later on.
Amelia
Mar 18, 2015 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Great fun even for non designers like my boyfriend and myself! Creative and interactive challenges--have given it as a gift to two designer friends so far who have enjoyed it.
Victoria H.
Jan 30, 2014 Victoria H. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Exactly what I needed! This a classroom post-degree exercise book. As a recent graduate with graphic design knowledge and skills in back pocket, this book introduces exciting self projects to get your creative gears moving and reinforces the habit of sketching (which, I believe is an underappreciated initiation of design solving for many).

This is THE book for creating items for your portfolio.

Each exercise includes rules, time restraints, examples of others work, and a possibility to manufactu
Laurian
Jul 06, 2013 Laurian rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux, non-fiction
It took me a while to read this book because there wasn't much pulling me forward. But, that said, I found it to be pretty interesting and provocative. While I have yet to try any of the ideas, it did serve as a creative stepping stone to me creating my own ideas of activities I can do.

My only real criticism is I was hoping that the activities would be more at a beginner level. Some of them, I think, would require some hefty graphic design skills that many who are "designers" don't have.
Mills College Library
153.35 S5541 2010
Dirk
Nov 01, 2013 Dirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title was somewhat confusing to me, but in the end i liked the book. It just makes you think in a creative way.
Yunju
Sep 30, 2013 Yunju rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-design
Good design reference book, the last two sections: "innovation" and "interpretation" are particularly intriguing.
Michelle
May 09, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for providing creative projects and ideas to develop creativity and sharpen design skills
Etienne Beaulieu
Oct 30, 2013 Etienne Beaulieu rated it liked it
Présente certaines idées intéressantes pour stimuler la créativité, mais demeure au premier niveau!
Julia Harrison
Julia Harrison marked it as to-read
Gianluca
Gianluca marked it as to-read
Mia Joukas
Mia Joukas marked it as to-read
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Silvia
Silvia rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Artyom Semenov
Artyom Semenov rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Andrew Dodson
Andrew Dodson marked it as to-read
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Karolina Troka
Karolina Troka marked it as to-read
Nick Dowell
Nick Dowell rated it did not like it
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Benjamin Ajmi
Benjamin Ajmi marked it as to-read
Silverwren
Silverwren marked it as to-read
Nick Inzucchi
Nick Inzucchi rated it liked it
Judit Hummel
Judit Hummel rated it it was ok
Johann Paulino
Johann Paulino marked it as to-read
Raluca
Raluca marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Mai Hua
Mai Hua rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Ryan Ryan
Ryan Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book: Creative Briefs to Enhance Your Skills and Develop Your Portfolio
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design Thinking
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Color Design Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Color in Graphic Design
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Design Is the Problem
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
David Sherwin is a creative director and and interaction designer that has created or co-authored multiple books and toolkits that help people become better problem solvers and business thinkers. Currently, he is a Principal Designer at frog, a global innovation firm, and a Senior Lecturer at California College of the Arts in the BFA in Interaction Design program. In his free time, he mentors desi ...more
More about David Sherwin...

“Art is the elimination of the unnecessary.” —Pablo Picasso” 2 likes