Start by marking “Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills” as Want to Read:
Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  8 reviews
'Creative Workshop' is based on a seminar crafted to help students & working designers gain broad exposure to a wide range of design disciplines & develop the depth of skills necessary to excel as a working professional.
Published November 24th 2010 by Northlight (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Workshop

Andrea James
I'm not a designer or even someone who works in a strictly creative industry (unless you consider business consulting "creative") so with that caveat, here is my review.

I was interested in this book because partly because I like exercises to stimulate ideas and solutions to problems (even seemingly boring business problems). And also because I deliver training sessions and so I'm always on the lookout for ways to give people insights. If it takes a creative exercise to bring about an ah-ha momen
Victoria H.
Exactly what I needed! This a classroom post-degree exercise book. As a recent graduate with graphic design knowledge and skills in back pocket, this book introduces exciting self projects to get your creative gears moving and reinforces the habit of sketching (which, I believe is an underappreciated initiation of design solving for many).

This is THE book for creating items for your portfolio.

Each exercise includes rules, time restraints, examples of others work, and a possibility to manufactu
Cindy
Great way to become inspired and get going. I do a couple of exercises in here and it's enough for me to push out 4-8 visually appealing prototypes to be turned into high fidelity prototypes later on.
Amelia
Great fun even for non designers like my boyfriend and myself! Creative and interactive challenges--have given it as a gift to two designer friends so far who have enjoyed it.
Laurian
It took me a while to read this book because there wasn't much pulling me forward. But, that said, I found it to be pretty interesting and provocative. While I have yet to try any of the ideas, it did serve as a creative stepping stone to me creating my own ideas of activities I can do.

My only real criticism is I was hoping that the activities would be more at a beginner level. Some of them, I think, would require some hefty graphic design skills that many who are "designers" don't have.
Dirk
The title was somewhat confusing to me, but in the end i liked the book. It just makes you think in a creative way.
Yunju
Good design reference book, the last two sections: "innovation" and "interpretation" are particularly intriguing.
Etienne Beaulieu
Présente certaines idées intéressantes pour stimuler la créativité, mais demeure au premier niveau!
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Carol Johnson
Carol Johnson marked it as to-read
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Kate Kieffer
Kate Kieffer marked it as to-read
Bridgitte
Bridgitte marked it as to-read
Heidi Schwartz
Heidi Schwartz marked it as to-read
Murugesh Padmanarayana
Murugesh Padmanarayana marked it as to-read
Jack van Riel
Jack van Riel marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Deena Katma
Deena Katma marked it as to-read
Oliwia
Oliwia marked it as to-read
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 26, 2015
Cody Beverly
Cody Beverly is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Beth Henshaw
Beth Henshaw is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Gay Ketchum
Gay Ketchum marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Katrina Archibald
Katrina Archibald marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book: Creative Briefs to Enhance Your Skills and Develop Your Portfolio
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Graphic Design Thinking
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Color Design Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Color in Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts
  • Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • The Creative Process Illustrated: How Advertising's Big Ideas Are Born
David Sherwin is a creative director and and interaction designer that has created or co-authored multiple books and toolkits that help people become better problem solvers and business thinkers. Currently, he is a Principal Designer at frog, a global innovation firm, and a Senior Lecturer at California College of the Arts in the BFA in Interaction Design program. In his free time, he mentors desi ...more
More about David Sherwin...
Success By Design: The Essential Business Reference for Designers

“Art is the elimination of the unnecessary.” —Pablo Picasso” 2 likes
“as I really don’t think I draw all that well, but it was interesting to see that some of the drawings worked better than others, and why.” 0 likes