Start by marking “The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder” as Want to Read:
The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder

The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  3,484 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
The Out-of-Sync Child broke new ground by identifying Sensory Processing Disorder, a common but frequently misdiagnosed problem in which the central nervous system misinterprets messages from the senses. This newly revised edition features additional information from recent research on vision and hearing deficits, motor skill problems, nutrition and picky eaters, ADHA, aut ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Perigee Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Out-of-Sync Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Out-of-Sync Child

Melissa
Sep 18, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by Hyrum's Occupational Therapist because he has a sensory processing disorder. His sensory disorder is mainly motor but there are other SPD's. I would recommend this book to anyone who thinks their child may be struggling a little bit. I was suprised to see how much behavior can be affected by these disorders and they can range from very mild to severe. We knew Hyrum had something wrong but it took a lot of work trying to figure it out. His doctor was not much he ...more
Gary
May 29, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This groundbreaking book deals wit the child with Sensory Processing Disorder , a disorder in which children misinterpret the message from their senses to their brain.

The book defines Sensory Processing Disorder , lists the common symptoms , as well as it's possible causes.

It analyses the different types of children with the disorder such as the overresponsive child , the underresponsive child and the sensory-seeking child as well as how to identify these problems.

Lots of case studies.

The second
megh
Jun 17, 2008 megh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to megh by: an OT
Shelves: autism
I was very excited to start this book since it is like the OT bible, but it just wasn't for me. It focused on the child who is sensory avoiding, the oppisite of my son who is a sensory seeking kid. It does have a lot of information in a easy to read style, and is probably very helpful for many other parents with a child who is a sensory avoider
Kim Upton
I am only on page 193, but I'm finding this book is not the "end all, be all" of information on kids with Sensory Processing Disorder. There are several pages on how to help a parent that isn't familiar with quirky kids, but the checklists and anecdotes don't provide much help for me. I really need some heavy-duty information. Maybe the rest of the book will address how to fully understand kids with SPD, but right now I'm way more lost than before I read the book. There are so many "if you kid w ...more
Jackie Olson
Jul 12, 2011 Jackie Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by an Occupational Therapist after he evaluated my son through the state. At this point, I had no idea what SI was or that my son had it (also autism diagnosis). Since then, this book has become my primary resource for my son and other children I encounter. I've given copies to every member of my family and to my son's teachers. Why? Because it explains why kids do and act the way they do when they have sensory dysfunction.

One thing my son used to do was put his
Books Ring Mah Bell
Jul 22, 2009 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I read parts of this years ago in school as I was being introduced to the concept of Sensory Processing Disorders. As I was trying to understand SPD, the case examples of how a "typical" child behaves compared with kids who have various sensory issues was very helpful. A range of behaviors from sensory avoiders (think kids who do not want to be touched or avoid certain foods) to sensory seekers (think "daredevil" kid that gives you gray hair to watch) are clearly defined.

Recently, I decided to
Marguerite Nico
A very interesting look at the child who is "always out of control". It definitely made me look at my children with a different eye. It discusses the child who apparently can't tolerate loud noises, the one who takes a LONG time to dress because they're unhappy with their socks/shoes/shirt/whatever. This was recommended to me by a speech pathologist and I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to get an idea of what types of things they could do to help out children.
Heather
Aug 25, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Another Mom in music class recommended this book because my child has been sensitive to noise. Well bingo! This book was very enlightening. Now not only do I know what some of the issues are I also know some of her coping mechanisms... Spinning, standing on her head, jumping on the bed etc. knowing is half the battle.
Shelley
This book was hard to muddle through and didn't have a lot of information regarding Sensory Seeking behaviors. It was somewhat informative but like I said, overwhelming. Probably would be better for those who have Sensory Avoidance.
Michelle
Sep 19, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The boy who punches a child who lightly bumped into him in line. A girl who constantly drops things. A child who hangs upside down every chance she gets. A kid who refuses to dress himself years after his peers have mastered that skill. These children probably frustrate parents and teachers but are likely displaying signs of a Sensory Processing Disorder. The Out-of-Sync Child is a must-read for anyone who cares for children with processing difficulties. Parents, teachers, medical staff, and the ...more
Tammy
Aug 05, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things I learned:
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) can cause a bewildering variety of symptoms. When their central nervous systems are ineffective in processing sensory information, children have a hard time functioning in daily life. They may look fine and have superior intelligence, but may be awkward and clumsy, fearful and withdrawn, or hostile and aggressive.

A child with SPD often has enormous difficulties in the classroom. His problem is not lack of intelligence or willingness to learn. He
Amanda
Apr 08, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of small children
If you have a child that seems fussy, especially when wearing certain kinds of clothes or when eating certain foods. Or does your child crash and bump into everything and "HAVE TO" touch everything? Or does your child not seem to notice much or what's going on around him or her? AND does this seem to be effecting your life or your child's in a negative way? Then check out this book. It will give you new insight into how some children experience sensory input and how they may need extra stimulati ...more
LeMira
Dec 24, 2008 LeMira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LeMira by: Bonnie
This book has changed my perspective on why my child behaves the way he does, and also why other children might. I have more patience and sympathy for my little guy, but most of all, I have tools that I can use to help him learn to cope with his sensory issues. I feel validated as a parent that I'm not ruining my child. If you have a child that seems different (social cues are a big indicator), then I would read this book. If you are interested, though, pick up the latest edition. If you ever ha ...more
Ki Goff
Jul 28, 2009 Ki Goff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong--this is probably still the best book out there for sensory-disorder, but MAN!

Someday, a loving and merciful person will get out there and write "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Sensory Processing Disorder; The Practical Version," and when they do, I'll be the first customer.

This book was dense, and difficult. If all you're looking for is straightforward practical advise on how to help your child, skip to the back, get a pencil and paper, and extract it from the final chapters.
Jenny
Dec 21, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: riley
Very helpful for us once discovering our son might have SPD. Instantly we can see how he fits this problem, and now easier to understand him.

4/5 stars because written for kids 3-4 yrs old, with implication and sometimes outright claiming you have to catch these problems early. For those of us who for various reasons couldn't not have known and have older kids at diagnosis that us disheartening, and from what I understand also not true. We'll see ourselves when our son starts OT tomorrow.
Alice
This book was difficult for me to get through. I found the beginning especially convoluted, but it got easier to read as it went on. This was, in part, because I got used to Kranowitz's diction. I felt a bit like her motto was "why use simple words when you can string together words like modulation, dysfunction, & discrimination in a long line & throw in specialized words like 'praxis'&'vestibular'." I'm guilty of this at times too, but blah. On the positive side, she often gives hyp ...more
Kelli
Feb 03, 2013 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Clinical Social Worker and found much of this book informative but didn't really like the overall presentation of the book. I have been providing DIR/Floortime therapy with children who have Sensory Processing Disorders for a few years now and was hoping this book would provide some concrete intervention ideas for the families I work with and also help increase my own knowledge on the disorder. In addition, I enjoy reading books that I can then recommend to the families I work with.

The a
Scooping it Up
Feb 05, 2014 Scooping it Up rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adoption-reads
A really helpful book. I wish every OT who dared to evaluate a child for an IEP was well versed in SPD and had this book memorized. I wish they all knew how sensory issues can impair children's ability to stay regulated, learn, focus, manage social situations and feel secure in the world. Even if they can hold a pencil , there are so many more things that can affect a child that are sensory related. I haven't met an OT at a school who has a clue, yet. I am sure they are out there, just none of t ...more
Lesli
Oct 16, 2012 Lesli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful book to read considering my child has Sensory issues. It shed a lot of light on why my child does the things she does, and helped me think of ways to help her adjust to life, or maybe just help me accept her for who she is, no matter how challenging she makes life. You may wonder what sensory disorder is, that is a complicated question to answer. The way sensory disorder presents itself in one person could be completely different then another person. At first glance it may seem lik ...more
Coleen Cloete
Aug 15, 2012 Coleen Cloete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a very useful book for people interested and dealing with kids with sensory processing disorder. Not only provides it a thorough understanding of the neurological and physical reasons for this disorder, it also explains the emotional roller coaster children and parents go through in dealing with this. At the end of the book there is some very useful tips on how to discipline and diffuse situations where children might experience anxiety.
Catie
Mar 20, 2014 Catie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was helpful only because it confirmed that, yes, we have an "out-of-sync" child. It helps me to be more sympathetic towards this child and understand them a little better.

HOWEVER!.. there weren't as many helpful tips as I would have liked. I mean, you tell me that my child is "out-of-sync" and why they are that why and then send me on my way!

I could've used more practical tips.
Melanie Dilworth
Didn't read every page, but had this book recommended to me in the context of my youngest son. Authors are a bit biased toward all children being athletic. One of the case studies was a high needs child that could have benefited from more engaged parenting before jumping right to therapy. IMHO, of course. Ultimately didn't ring true with what is going on for our child.
Marnie
Jan 24, 2008 Marnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful resource for parents or educators with children who are dealing with sensory integrated dysfunction. This book was reccomended to me by my son's occupational therepist. It has made a huge difference in my understanding of a relatively new and often misunderstood diagnosis. It has also helped me to understand the issues behind my son's sensory related behavior.
Dawn
Jan 31, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-work
A very helpful book for any clinician dealing with children in a mental health setting. It gives you a good inside into how the children behave and reasons why! I book for any parent to help them understand their child!
Konnie
Feb 17, 2011 Konnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Just got this from the library. I am curious to see if some of the strategies in this book will help my spirited child. Many of the things seem to match my child on a not so severe level. I learned a bit but it wasn't the best.
Jen White
May 07, 2012 Jen White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really helped us in identifying certain needs for our child. Easy to read and very encouraging!
Aug 15, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Great resource with easy to read charts. Wish there were more detailed information about the differences between SPD and ADHD since the symptoms are so similar.
Mar 17, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading her descriptions of symptoms, I think we are all out of sync. Some just more than others.
Stephanie
I listened to this book on Audible over the course of the last few months, and I found it to be very eye opening. At parts I paused it so I could scribble some notes, and I often found myself rewinding it to listen to parts again. This is the type of book I will probably go out and buy to keep on my bookshelf permanently so I can mark it up.

This book came recommended by my son's neurologist. I could see him in parts of the book, while others weren't applicable. What matters is it taught me ways
Erin
Dec 17, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved our lives. I finally totally and completely understand my son and what he experiences with his Sensory Integration Disorder. Quirks that I never could figure out how they fit into the picture of who he is are part of a now cohesive picture. I also understand now that my own Sensory Integration Disorder is worse than I thought. As is his. No words will describe the relief I feel to truly "get it". And to truly "get him." Man, and how much I learned about child brain development an ...more
Sensory Processing Disorder 1 13 May 04, 2011 03:26AM
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior
  • The Child With Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Emergence: Labeled Autistic
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • The Explosive Child
  • I Love You Rituals
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism

“the brain cannot do its most important job of organizing sensory messages.” 0 likes