Start by marking “Mississippi to Africa: A Journey of Discovery” as Want to Read:
Mississippi to Africa: A Journey of Discovery

Mississippi to Africa: A Journey of Discovery

4.88 of 5 stars 4.88  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Mississippi to Africa captures Collier's fourteen-year journey in excavating the buried history of his maternal grandmother's family-a journey that took him back seven generations, from northern Mississippi to the Piedmont hills of South Carolina, and eve
Published May 1st 2009 by Heritage Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mississippi to Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mississippi to Africa

Beverly Harper
This book is a gem for anyone doing African American Research with out records, Mr. Collier took only the names of the slaves on a slave schedule and searched and found his people all the way from Mississippi to Africa, thru a name pattern. The Ancestor's in each generation kept the names going even when they were pronounced different they all referred to a previous ancestor. I suggest anyone that is have a hard time researching which we all have at some time. He goes by chapter and also gives u ...more
Tina
Aug 06, 2012 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: genealogists, African Americans, Historians
While Roots got me interested and opened my eyes to African Americans and their history of slavery and family roots, Melvin Collier's book actually gave me skills to use to do African American research. Those skills really can be used for all ethnic groups over all. I loved to read and see his mind set on how he figured things out by trial and error. It provided me with sources too. A very good comprehensive book and I highly recommend it.

I got this book thru interlibrary loan.
Tracey
recommended for anyone interested in genealogy, but especially for beginner to intermediate family historians who are experiencing road blocks in their research. Mr. Collier provides examples of methods to use to make progress past certain blocks in African American genealogy; some of those techniques i've been able to apply to my own family tree work beyond the 1870 "wall.". very helpful book!
Velicia Tillman
Excellent book for those that study genealogy. Melvin J. Collier was very thorough with his research and provides a wealth of examples and information on study African American relatives that lived in Mississippi and theSouth. A must read.
Bridgette Austin
Bridgette Austin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Damali
Damali added it
Mar 29, 2014
Janice Mitchell
Janice Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Ceretha Sherrill
Ceretha Sherrill marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Charisse Jackson
Charisse Jackson marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Shanese Coursey
Shanese Coursey marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Terrence Bloodsaw
Terrence Bloodsaw marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Karen Bennett
Karen Bennett marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Bruni Sablan
Bruni Sablan marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Gino
Gino marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Val Sanford
Val Sanford marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Raylene
Raylene marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Magda
Magda marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2012
Cobblos8 Cobb
Cobblos8 Cobb marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2011
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2011