Start by marking “Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide” as Want to Read:
Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide

Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide (Definitive Visual Guides)

A stunning and comprehensive encyclopedia will appeal to anyone fascinated by the night sky, from families to dedicated astronomy enthusiasts and students.
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Universe

Sara
Apr 21, 2017 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've had this fascinating book for years and I love to spend lazy afternoons looking through it. DK books are just the best! Chock-full of information along with stunning visuals! Great series of books!
Gary
Jul 30, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book stays in the passenger seat of my car. If I ever get stuck somewhere, or whenever I just have a few minutes to spare, I pick it up and open it to a random page and start reading. I haven't read the whole thing, from front to back, and yet I will give it five stars.

There are so many illustrations and diagrams and inserts and mini-biographies crammed on to each page that this is not a book that you read from left to right. You read around in a circle, and then down in the left corner, a
Matthew Cossey
Jan 25, 2011 Matthew Cossey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever wondered about the stars or what lie beyond earth, then this is the book you'll want to pick up! It's basically an encyclopedia of the universe, from the planets in our solar system to the most distant galaxies in deep space. The pictures are incredible and the information is very well researched.
An absolute must buy for anyone interested in astronomy, the stars and what lies beyond our planet Earth.
Menglong Youk
This. Book. Is. Unbelievably. Incredible. "Universe, A Definitive Visual Guide", which I intentionally spent more than two months finishing, is an encyclopedia about, you guess it, the universe. From the Big Bang, to the Solar System, the Milky Way, Galaxy clusters and deep space, it tirelessly explores the secrets and physical of the cosmos, attaching mini-biographies of important scientists, myth, diagrams, and breathtakingly colorful illustrations, whiping off readers' boredom and showering t ...more
Roxie M Romero
Nov 16, 2015 Roxie M Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this book. I have had it for a couple years now. It has everything in it that i want to know.
Aruon
Nov 11, 2015 Aruon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
If you're curious and wondering about the universe then I highly recommend this encyclopedia
Andrew
Dec 15, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from DK - This like the previous books Human - I have had for a while and dipped in to on a number of occasions and been amazed at the sheer quality of information, sumptuousness of the photography and the amazing quantity of fascinating facts. Yes I love my general knowledge as much as my fiction and at times its amazing to see that the "real" world can be just amazing, beautiful and terrifying as any work of fiction. And the truly amazing thing is that there is still so mu ...more
F.P.
Nov 30, 2014 F.P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Awesome large book--I couldn't resist buying it. I like it more for the pictures than the text information--not that the latter is badly done; it's just more like captions of information than a sustained text. I think it's always best to consult science textbooks for any real science applications, but big books like this are very helpful references to me for doing fictional space art because I can more clearly see what the natural forms look like.
Adam
Jul 19, 2010 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The first chapter or two deserve five-star ratings. Seriously, they were mind-blowing and very absorbing.

But I was quickly lost in later chapters with the morass of star descriptions, Venusian volcanoes blurbs, and seen-one-you've-seen-'em-all nebulae. It's beautifully illustrated but the deeper one goes, the lighter on interesting content it becomes. Hopefully, space doesn't prove the same.
Artem Gordon
Aug 03, 2013 Artem Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BAM! POW! This is THE book you need to have if you are an amateur like me with a desire to become a professional. It has great pictures that help you engage your entire mind along with the given information. This book even made me get astronomical binoculars so that I can view the universe while learning it at the SAME TIME. For now... this is my bible. 6/5 Stars. P.S Get the new revised and updated version!!! The new version binding is much much better than the older version.
Pierce
Apr 26, 2011 Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very good book to read if you get the time to because this book is very long and heavy Nd has small text. This book will speak to anybody that likes to learn about what happened to us before we came to life here on earth. It will also appeal to anybody that wants to know about the unknown facts of planets,moons, and much more because it gives information that little tiny books don't.
Tim
Nov 11, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow. kick yourself for never having taken an astronomy course in college, and then pick up this byoot of a pictorial and have yourself a lesson in some earth science goodness. gorgeous, up-to-date (black holes as centers of galaxies, pluto is a dwarf, etc.), and way cheaper and more accurate than that university of phoenix course you were eyeing.
Brie
Nov 16, 2009 Brie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astronomy, 2009
The visual imagery in this book is wonderful! It would be a great book to have to reference anything having to do with astronomy, but the pictures and visual representations are really what make this book.
Harianja Natalyne
marvelous .... not yet finish the book but this book opens my mind and perspective widely how small we are in the universe .... do we have purpose, living in the tiny space ? .... the writers made lot of efforts in collecting all pictures wjkch made this book great, love it
Will
Nov 09, 2011 Will rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This is a reference book and not one that you would read as a novel. Therefore I am continuing to refer to it from time to time whenever I find the inclination to do so. Much of it is quite technical and difficult to understand.
Tireymcinnes
Jul 11, 2009 Tireymcinnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can really get into stuff pertaining to the Universe. The pictures alone are worth buying this book, but the way the science is explained is pretty awesome too. If you're into this topic, you have to check this out.
Jessica
Dec 21, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the updated version and a nice, hefty hardback. The pictures are lovely and show the depth and enormity of space. Lots of good information as well, but the pictures are, by far, the best part.
Stephie
Features beautiful full colour photos and illustrations. This is one of the few books I actually enjoy browsing quite frequently. It contains a lot of information without being too simple or too dense.
Anna
Jun 18, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Amazing! Informative and beautiful. If you enjoy astronomical science as a hobby this book is perfect. A perfect Christmas present. Thanks Mom and Pop!
Andrew Whitaker
Jan 02, 2013 Andrew Whitaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The binding is the only issue ive had with the 2 copies i have of this book.Both of them fell apart.Including the $40 hard copy i have.Otherwise full of great info and pictures
Jessica
Jul 22, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful pictures of neubulas and planets. A bit cluttered in places... sometimes all the little information boxes made the glorious pictures get lost.
Nell
Dec 26, 2016 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science
Great pictures, excellent explanations, and easy to predict where you might want to skip or skim.
Juraj Kubica
Jan 04, 2015 Juraj Kubica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astronomy
Universal contemporary encyclopedia of knowledge on our Universe written by the best astronomers in the world. I was one of the translators of this book for Slovak edition.
Juan Ríos
Feb 13, 2016 Juan Ríos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome compilation of pictures depicting the magic and mysteriousness of the universe
Isaiahd
Jan 20, 2013 Isaiahd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is easy enough to understand for amateur astronomer, but challenging enough for advanced learners of astronomy. This is a book that should be on the book shelf of every astronomer
Nicholas Ives
Nov 19, 2013 Nicholas Ives rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book. The introductory chapters are very informative, especially on physics and the creation of the universe.
Ezra Ozaki
Oct 07, 2015 Ezra Ozaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good enough to provide some general information about the universe but not really digging deep as I wish
The book does contain many stunning images from Hubbles Space Telescope that is a huge plus.
XO
Mar 26, 2014 XO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice but is a pity that the text and images are not very good organized in most pages. Is little dated too. Other than that, enjoy!
Jennifer Kelly
I keep this beside my bed at all times. Gives me perspective.
  • Ocean: The World's Last Wilderness Revealed
  • Evolution The Human Story
  • Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
  • Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • In Search of the Edge of Time: Black Holes, White Holes, Wormholes
  • National Geographic 125 Years: Legendary Photographs, Adventures, and Discoveries That Changed the World
  • World War I
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus
Martin John Rees, Baron Rees of Ludlow, OM, PRS (born June 23, 1942 in York) is an English cosmologist and astrophysicist. He has been Astronomer Royal since 1995, and Master of Trinity College, Cambridge since 2004. He became President of the Royal Society on December 1, 2005.
More about Martin J. Rees...

Definitive Visual Guides (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • History: The Definitive Visual Guide