Start by marking “Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell

Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Cruise into murder, mayhem, and alternate realities. Award-winning author Pat Murphy takes us aboard a luxury cruise ship and into the strange confluence of time and space known as the Bermuda Triangle.

Susan Galina and her friend Pat are relaxing on a luxury cruise ship heading from New York to Europe via Bermuda. Trouble begins when one of the passengers, author Max Merri
Audio CD
Published August 1st 2004 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell

Wealhtheow
Apr 25, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Cait
Shelves: didn-t_finish
Shy redhead Susan and her quirky best friend Pat win a trip aboard a cruise ship. She meets a cute sailor and her favorite author--but then! A mysterious murder! Oh my! I gave up about 30 pages in. The writing was just too excrutiatingly clunky to read. Here is the ending of the first chapter:
"It was shaping up to be an interesting cruise, he thought happily. He was looking forward to meeting Max Merriwell; he was looking forward to seeing what, if anything, developed between Tom and the redhead
Jeffrey Paris [was Infinite Tasks]
A finely-crafted science-fiction adventure story about writing a science-fiction adventure story, in which a recently divorced librarian take a cross-Atlantic cruise and sheds her inner good girl, with some help from her best friend "Pat Murphy," a sci-fi writer named Max Merriwell, and the dreamt up authors of his own novels, Mary Maxwell and Weldon Merrimax. All this, with a healthy dose of (easily comprehended) quantum physics, multiple possibilities made co-present through the imagination, U ...more
Karen Kenney
Apr 03, 2016 Karen Kenney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept, but a bit circular - though I guess it needs to be. I like the author's style.
Anthony Guillen
Jul 15, 2015 Anthony Guillen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really like audio books. I like fiction. I really like physics. Most reviews were positive, so I thought I'd give this a try. I wish I hadn't. Let me preface this by saying that I am not familiar with this author at all, and I knew nothing other than the picture on the cover and that it was available for audio checkout at the library.

The book started really slow, and the writing seemed like it was written either in the 70's or by a present-day octogenarian. Then the author started throwing in
Eleanor With Cats
I love the ideas, but the book didn't feel fun to me. It just felt non-tense. I loved the afterword.

Some but not all of this was because this is a book about writing. I understand why authors get fascinated with the writing process and playing with it, same as why physicists get fascinated by physics and anthropology of science, but it's not what I enjoy in a book, and at this point I've also read enough of this subgenre that it makes me want to shut the book immediately and go watch a movie wit
Laurie
Jul 25, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dying for a book to read, I picked this out from the Maplewood train station "library" because the title caught my eye, and I am giving this book 5 stars simply because it is a great story. It's the sort of book you race through to find out what is going to happen but at the same time hold on to every delicious moment. The writing is not good, clunky and even amateur at times, but again, the story holds its own. Reminiscent of "Sophie's World" where nobody is who they seem to be and characters c ...more
Ty
Feb 22, 2012 Ty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bizarre, twisting and turning plot is at times philosophical speculation, at times scientific observation, and at times a suspense/romance adventure. Which makes this novel, though at times slow in pace and a bit repetitive, quite the enjoyable, thought provoking read.

Not only will you find yourself intrigued by the action of the piece, but also by the high scientific concepts that the author places into the everyday adventures of mostly ordinary people.

She even throws in advice, through one
Debbie
A really long title for a really good book. This is a quick and fun read, but it also made me think as well. Though granted, I did skim through some of the more scientific stuff. Despite that, it wasn't dense at all. It was a murder mystery on a cruise ship with imaginary people walking around. The premise is *really* interesting, especially after I poked around the author's webpage and read the reasoning behind this book. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did but the last few chapters ...more
Dave
Sep 24, 2008 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy metafiction, allusions and self-rference in extreme fantasy / science fiction.
Recommended to Dave by: Off hand selection from library
Shelves: fiction-read
I'm still feeling queasy so I'm listening to distracting fiction.

This book is apparently the third in a trilogy that I may want to go back and check the first books from. It's a self-referential romp in metafiction. Sort of reminds me of Jasper Fforde's books and the old TV series Moonlighting with a dash of Dr. Who, Douglas Adams and the Star Trek Franchise re-imagined by the first cast of Saturday Night Live. It starts out as only somewhat melodramatic with hints of post modernist word and pl
Kyla
Jul 23, 2015 Kyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If I could give this a higher rating, I would. I loved this book more than any I have read in a while! Action, adventure, quantum physics, and the Bermuda Triangle, what could be better than that?!
Shelley
Mar 06, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I love books based on quantum physics. Love!! It was such a pleasant surprise to realize that this was one such book. Fantastic and trippy and clever. It's apparently the third in an increasingly mind-bending loose trilogy of sorts (the author, Pat Murphy, has written a book as her character Max Merriwell and another as Max Merriwell writing as Mary Murphy) and is now a character in her own book with not only the characters who are the pen names above, but the other characters she created for th ...more
Quizmo
Feb 18, 2014 Quizmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lessons in physics, the law of attraction, and "what you think is what you get." Good story!
Cait
Aug 24, 2008 Cait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy fun with meta
This book was frivolous, predictable, and a heck of a lot of fun! Also, it reminded me how much I love Wild Angel, so I went and re-read that one Friday night. I'll have to get my hands on There and Back Again, the third book in this not-actually-a-series, one of these days....
Kate
May 30, 2010 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A crazy ride, but that's what you get when you mix a professional author, a cruise ship, and quantum physics! I enjoyed this book very much. The surface story is not that exciting (recent divorcee wins a cruise and goes with her quirky alone friend, meets boy, falls in love, etc.), but all the stuff that happens around that story, like fictional characters and events becoming real, the author laughingly inserting herself (several times) into the story as different characters, all combine for a e ...more
Tracy
Dec 29, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
A great read, all about leaving constraint behind you and opening your mind long enough for things to happen. Also Flaming Rum Monkeys. And very catchy music. And shipboard romance! And physics!! I reread it every couple of years and anybody who is an author should read it just for the fun of pen names come alive.
Bandit
Sep 15, 2011 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was surprisingly enjoyable, despite the fact that I normally stay away from sci-fi. It sort of reminded me of the movie Inception with the whole "dream within a dream" thing. It's a lot to do with quantum psychics and the concepts are explained throughout the novel, refreshingly approachable and comprehensive. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick fun wacky read, regardless of genre.
Trever
Aug 13, 2013 Trever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still a favorite after multiple readings. The lightweight fluffiness of the story disguises its brain-bending recursiveness and abstract concepts of reality. Unlike any other books that I've read, it's a little bit of everything - Science fiction, mystery, horror, romance, travel. The best compliment I can give it is to say that this was a cruise that I really wish I had been on.
Shane
May 05, 2015 Shane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
I thought this started off horribly but then something peaked my interest so I stuck with it. It really didn't pay off for me. Not enough happened, it was too normal for me, seemed kind of dated and the romance angle was nor my thing. Still there were some cool ideas and it was pretty original so that puts it at about 2 stars.
Bettie☯

Unabridged. Read by Johanna Ward.

Blurb: Cruise into murder, mayhem, and alternate realities.

Award-winning author Pat Murphy takes us aboard a luxury cruise ship and into the strange confluence of time and space known as the Bermuda Triangle, in an engaging science-fiction romp that recalls the work of Kate Wilhelm.

Susan Galina and her friend Pat have escaped their normal lives into the elegant, isolated world of the Odyssey, a luxury cruise ship heading from New York to Europe via Bermuda. Pat
Melanie
Apr 15, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2002
Cruise ship and Quantum Mechanics, Writer whose pseudonyms appear as real people. Unemployed librarian and ship's security officer trying to solve mystery. Another great Pat Murphy. Should have read her Wild Angel first. That with There and Back again are a trilogy of sorts.
Erick
Aug 05, 2008 Erick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved Pat Murphy's sci-fi retelling of the hobbit, but this book was nowhere near as good. The concept was clever--a writer's pen names coming to life on a cruise in the Bermuda Triangle--but the plotting was slow and nothing much happened until the end.
Josh
Feb 03, 2009 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of this author before, but now I'm hoping to read more of her books. This book was fun to read and the author certainly didn't take it too seriously, which made it silly in parts, but good overall.
Tlnorz
Apr 03, 2008 Tlnorz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book in an MP3 format while exercising so maybe my view of the book is tainted. It was okay, but just okay. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had been suffering less while I listened to it.
Mace
Dec 26, 2010 Mace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's one of the those books where the less you know about it, the more you're going to enjoy it, so if you like barely sci-fi-ish books, just read it.
Mary-Beth
Jul 20, 2014 Mary-Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
will try later
Cody
Dec 18, 2008 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, but easy read. I like the fact that it explores some aspects of quantum physics which adds to the enjoyment. What is reality?
Spenser White
An odd, confusing, fun, crazy adventure. It's just a fun read, nothing to make a huge deal of.
Terry
Apr 20, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Put my two favorite things together - cruises and alternate realities - and you get this book!!!
ERNEST MORE
Feb 16, 2010 ERNEST MORE rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to all the fans...but I thought this book was terrible. I listened to the audiobook.
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • Walking the Clouds: An Anthology of Indigenous Science Fiction
  • Remake
  • The Return of Nightfall (Nightfall, #2)
  • The Merro Tree
  • Irresistible Forces
  • We Who Are About To...
  • Joplin's Ghost
  • The Book of Hours: A Novel
  • Shaggy Muses: The Dogs Who Inspired Emily Brontë, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Emily Dickinson, Edith Wharton, and Virginia Woolf
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • From Midnight to Dawn: The Last Tracks of the Underground Railroad
  • Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska's Political Establishment Upside Down
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • Ghoul (Zoë Martinique, #0.1)
  • The Time Traveler's Pocket Guide
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • The James Tiptree Award Anthology 3: Subversive Stories about Sex and Gender