Start by marking “Legacies” as Want to Read:
Legacies

Legacies (Corean Chronicles #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,435 ratings  ·  74 reviews
The first book of the Corean Chronicles

One of the towering creators of contemporary fantasy fiction takes us to a new land of wonders. The Corean Chronicles begin with Legacies, a grand new fantasy novel in which L. E. Modesitt, Jr., author of the bestselling Recluce fantasy series and the popular Spellsong Cycle, opens the door into a marvelous new world.

Millennia ago, a
Published July 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Legacies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacies

Mike (the Paladin)
This one sort of "snuck up on me". I've liked most of the books I've read by L E Modesitt Jr. Years ago I read many of the Recluse series. After that I found the Soprano Sorceress series. The latest books I read by him were the Imager books. All good.

Now I've had this one on my to be read shelf for some time...finally got to it.

We open with book with a lady seeing a Soarer...of course we don't know what that is. We do get a description and we're beginning to put things together by the book's en
Kevin
I'm somewhere between 3 and 4 stars with this book, so I'll be slightly generous and round up.

I did enjoy this book very much. It was my first book by Modesitt and I plan on continuing the series. However, I saw three flaws that kept my rating from being a strong 4 stars:

First, his description of geographical features is over-the-top and confusing at times. He devotes entire paragraphs to describing roads, hills, etc. It gets old after awhile. I don't need that much detail to get a visual image
Richard
Well its my first time reading any of Modesitt Jr's work and I must say im suitably impressed, Loved this book, it could'nt put a foot wrong, good amount of action, great character development and storytelling, the magic system was interestingly done, and there was a romantic plot within the story but not taking over from the main plot, and the world is well drawn with many diverse cultures and belief's.

Ill be certainly getting the next book in this series as soon as I can and id recommend it to
Brendan
Well written battle scenes and a fantasy setting that doesn't revolve around the standard fantasy cliches. Unfortunately those are the only things interesting about this book. The main character is perfect, never questions his judgment and never makes the wrong choice. This makes for a boring book.
Petra Eriksson
Laura Gilfillan
A pleasant and enjoyable read, I loved the details, and the simple yearning of the very accomplished protagonist to do nothing more than get back home on the range. Alucius has a way with night sheep, dangerous and odd sheep-like animals that are a hazard to be around unless you have enough Talent. Which Alucius does, enough to make him a one-man fighting squad, after he ends up commissioned to serve in the militia. He gets captured by the Matrial forces, and pressed into slavery, with an inesca ...more
Tim
There's some interesting ideas here,(nineteenth century technology mixed with magic, interesting creatures) but interesting ideas don't carry a story. Unfortunately it seemed, for the most part, that Modesitt was tyring to do just that.
The characters here are all pretty flat. The hero is practically infallible. For me, that's boring.
Also, Modesitt places too much importance on sounds. As reader, I didn't feel like I gained any benefit from the overabundance of descriptions of sounds.
I suppose
Joel Jackson
Extremely slow start, picks up near the end

Many people would probably have put this book down once the characters start talking to each other at the various gatherings. I didn't, because I recognized High Culture at work. These people live around each other all their lives, so they maintain a disciplined politeness that comes across as stiff and stilted if you don't understand what is going on.

The author does a tremendous job of setting up his main character slowly. Similar to the way Tolkien ma
William Bentrim
Legacies by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is book one of the Corean Chronicles. A new world and new protagonists that are separate from the world of Recluce. This world is locked in war between states that are mere shreds of a more pervasive and powerful defunct nation state.

Alucius is a herder. Herders are the stereo typical John Wayne character, strong, quiet and deadly. Herders are aloof from the bulk of their society. They work with nightsheep, a breed that makes most people tremble due to their ap
Karen
I enjoyed this book. The author was setting up the background for a new 'world' so it was somewhat slower than his other books. The 'legacies' referred to in the title are what the world has inherited from earlier ages which are burdens for the current generation.

This is another good vs. evil story, which is one of the things I like about most of this author's novels. It is also a story of family, loyalty and love, and of overcoming challenging situations.
Kurtbg
This book has a mix of magic and slightly revolutionary war-like feel to it. The main character is a young boy, named Alucius, who is near a stereotype as a boy scout as you would think. He's all manners, politeness and full of help. This doesn't change much as the story progresses and Alucius is conscripted to fight in a war.

The book has plenty of time to develop the story, but the main character always overcomes trials easily without paying much of a price. I did like some of the more tactica
Tom Gregorio
Summary Review:
* Slow in parts, pages upon pages of sheepherding. The relationship with Werdna was preposterously prolonged.
* The nemesis perished without much fanfare, seemed like there was wasted development. Interestingly, no body, perhaps a reappearance in a later book?
* Interesting battle scenes, realistic, at least until the magic 'stuff' took over.
Kevin
This is the first of Modesitt's books I have read outside of the Recluse 50-book series. I have to read something while he's working on the next in that series :)
This might as well be another Recluse book. The details are different, but it's the same general society with similar people and similar magic. It has the usual excessive description of food and too many details about battles. The names are just as strange and interchangeable. Don't bother getting to know any minor characters as they wi
Jim
I like this trilogy a fair amount 3.5 stars. Not as good as his Recluse series, but better than the Soprano Sorceress series. There is another trilogy set in the same world that comes before this chronologically.
Kat  Hooper
Alucius lives in the land of Corus which used to be ruled by a great civilization until some sort of cataclysm occurred. Now the continent is divided into several countries that are on the verge of war. Alucius, who we see grow from a young boy to a young man, just wants to get married to a nice girl and live as a peaceful herder on his family’s stead. But war comes and Alucius is drafted into the army where he rises rapidly in the ranks.

As a herder, Alucius has inherited the “Talent” which allo
Saya
My sister told me if I was looking for a Codex Alera fix, I'd find it with this. 'It's even better than Alera,' she said.

I'm amazed I finally finished it - it's one of those books that even after you've been reading it for days, you don't seem to have got any further.

The first 3/4 of the book are very slow. It took me over a hundred pages to get into it, and work out the world (i.e. 'Hieron, Madrien': all it needed was the smallest throwaway sentence to say it was the capital city of Madrien, th
Jeff Lanter
It might be from studying literature for nearly four years of school and taking exams that covered books I read and did not like, but I have to confess that I almost never give up on a book once I start reading it. A friend recommended Modesitt to me after I asked for a quality fantasy writer and I'm pretty sure I bought the wrong book by him, because I couldn't finish this one. The book starts off too slow with no conflict. It is pastoral and about goat or ram herding. The characters are all ho ...more
Chris
Slow start, fantastic ending!
Bottom Line: Try before you buy
Having never read any Modesitt before, I had no idea what I was in store for, and was pleasantly surprised, despite the very slow start to get to the real action of the story.
Once the action started, the story really moves along..which is when the main character joins with the army, after having spent the summer being trained (beaten daily) by his grandfather. The main character, is yet another in a series of characters from all kinds o
Brian Harris
I wasn't sure I wanted to keep reading this one after I read some of the reviews, but it wasn't bad. I'm going to pick up the second in the series as soon as I make it back to the library.

In general I liked the premise, though it was a little engrossed in details at times. A few paragraphs felt like I was reading a 'Sharpe's' novel with all the military jargon.

Minor things didn't ruin the story, like names of days, passing of time, or distance measurements; but I don't think it added anything
Rook
I'm embarrassed to say, I did enjoy reading this book, in the same way I enjoy sitting on the couch and eating ice cream while watching a crap television show. I hadn't let myself get lost in a poorly constructed, formulaic fantasy story in a while, and it was due. However:

-An alternate title for this book might've been "Gender Wars: Payback Time, Bitches." For all his hedging with the (eminently male) main character considering all sides of the central conflict, this was still a book about wome
D.L. Morrese
This military fantasy novel is typical of Modesitt's unique style. The setting and activities of the characters are described in extensive detail, which makes for great world-building, although it is a bit tedious to read, at times. While it is heavy on strategy and tactics, the characters tend to have all the personality and individuality of game pieces. It's definitely not a character driven story, but if you like tales full of magically augmented battles, you'll probably go this one.
Fantasy Literature

As a herder, Alucius has inherited the “Talent” which allo
Ryan
This might be closer to 2.5 stars.

Pros:
- the story idea was a decent one
- it was a light, easy read

Cons:
- the protagonist (Alucius) was a flat 2 dimensional character that always knew what to do and did it well
- a rather annoying thing about Alucius was that he knew exactly how to use his "Talent" without any believable learning sequence building up to it. This was especially noticeable in the last 1/3 of the book as he continued to intuitively use his Talent in ways that weren't previousl
Donald III
A "slow burn" fantasy set in a world with civil war era level of fantasy. This is a great coming of age story about a young man who is enlisted in the military and eventually taken as a prisoner by the enemy. Lots of suspense, intrigue, and action. Also a very interesting system of magic.
J L's Bibliomania
I was in the mood for some L E Modesitt Jr., so I started the Corean Chronicles series. This book is formula fiction, but sometime what you want is to settle down to the story of a Talented young man (or woman) with a Destiny to fulfill.

It was a pleasant read, though full of the food tropes common to all books written by Modesitt (granted while there was egg toast to be had and meat in gravy, there was far less discussion of the cheese than sometimes).

I was a bit disturbed by the women as oppre
Laura Mork
like all LE Modesitt books i've read, likable, but very perfect main character, interesting world. this one was quite slow moving with excessive detail in military matters
Jay Glasgow
I liked how Modesitt brought the same talents he used in the Recluse Saga into this series, the way he clearly defines all points of what goes into herding Night Sheep, and how one must use all facets of Talent to do so almost gave the reader a tutorial of how he can use his small powers. It had a very fine build up throughout the story, going form the communities problem, to the small country's problem, to the larger national problem, then finishing with the slaying of what could be considered ...more
Şalehah
Solid and very detailed world-building. However, not much focus was put on character development besides that of the main character. He was the only interesting one in the whole story, which may have been intentional on the author's part, but it made the story feel somewhat lacking.
Gabriel De
I have read many books written by L. E. Modesitt Jr. and this one is a very good one. It tells the story of Alucious, a herder with special magical talents that lives in the world of Corus. The story mixes nineteenth century technology, a very interesting magical system which is a legacy of a previous powerful civilization that lived in Corus, and diverse kingdoms attempting to control this world. A very interesting good versus evil tale.
Daniel
Interesantna knjiga ali sa jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaako sporim pocetkom. Moze da prodje ali nista posebno.

Imager erija je dosta zabavnija :P
  • A Magic of Twilight (The Nessantico Cycle, #1)
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • The Wizard Lord (Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • Countermeasures (Forbidden Borders, #3)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • Heir of Autumn (Heartstone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • The Cage (Baen Fantasy)
  • Caliphate
  • Sorcery Rising (Fool's Gold, #1)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)

“He learned that some things that seemed to make little sense were senseless only from his point of view, not necessarily from someone else's perspective.” 0 likes
“Don’t seek friends just to have them, and don’t put your trust where it does not belong.” 0 likes