Start by marking “Mental Efficiency” as Want to Read:
Mental Efficiency

Mental Efficiency

This ebook is complete with linked Table of Content making navigation quicker and easier.

MENTAL EFFICIENCY provides hints for a successful life and personal growth. Bennett follows the lines of James Allen and Orison Swett Marden covering topics such as mental efficiency, expressing one's individuality, breaking with the past, settling down in life, marriage, books, succes
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 2nd 2010 by WHITE DOG PUBLISHING (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Mental Efficiency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Efficiency

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
BOOKSALE. A book store's name here in the Philippines which is the potent marriage of two words most capable of bringing joy to people who love to read: "book" and "sale."

"Sale" as in cheap. Very cheap. Pocketbooks you can buy here at half a dollar (US, in its peso equivalent); paperback editions at around two to three dollars; and hardbound editions even cheaper, for about a dollar or less. Old, new, slightly damaged, lone copy or several, coffeetable books, dictionaries, sex books, books on re
Maaz
Jul 09, 2012 Maaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, self-help
This guy is a genius, great analysis, good advice and astounding way of conversation between the author and the reader!
He talked about various topics, psychology, a little bit of philosophy, and the will of power and its relation with sincere desire.

Some quotes:

Most writers on success are, through sheer goodness of heart, wickedly disingenuous. For the basis of their argument is that nearly any one who gives his mind to it can achieve success. This is, to put it briefly, untrue. The very central
Jacob Campbell
Mar 28, 2013 Jacob Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My mom and I have a long tradition of listening to books on tape (well, really I guess they were CD’s mostly) when we would travel. When Minnie and I were driving back from Olympia this weekend, we continued this tradition. We listened to Mental efficiency, and other hints to men and women by Arnold Bennett. Really, I think it is more of a collection of essays, but he has proven to be a timeless writer even with more than 100 years between its first being published and now.

Read the rest of my bo

Christopher Okolo
The importance of pay attention to exercising the brain just as much as we preen the body.
Karen Chung
Oct 25, 2015 Karen Chung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bennett wrote a number of self-help books in this vein, and all are in my opinion worth reading or listening to, at least the handful I've tried so far. He was probably a cantankerous, moody complainer at least some of the time. And he could be highly opinionated, e.g. in his aversion to Benjamin Franklin and his autobiography, and is often summarily dismissive of views that don't agree with his own. But he was a thinker and a disciplined and productive writer, and I inevitably enjoy the exposit ...more
Jackie
Jul 23, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun read. Not only is it a charming look into the time period in England, much of the advice, with slight modifications, still applies today. The chapter on books could easily be translated to current arguments about ereaders vs physical books. The argument about the cult of the body and physical exercise vs mental exercise certainly applies today! A wonderful read, I highly recommend all read this, keeping in mind the times it was written in.
M
Dec 29, 2012 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ran across this book by chance and listened to most of it as an audiobook; then liked it so well that I pulled it up on Gutenberg.org and read the whole thing in print. I'd never read anything by Bennett, and I'm glad to make his acquaintance. He is at the same time sensible and hilariously witty.
Oma Eagle
Feb 04, 2016 Oma Eagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have the 1911 edition.
I read this as a youngster in Junior High,
along with 'How to Live on 24 Hours a Day' 1910 edition
and 'Self And Self-Management' 1918 edition.
I referred back to them all the way through college.
They helped me stay 'on track' and achieve.
Sayantan Sen
Mar 16, 2016 Sayantan Sen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Arnold Bennett. It's a candid collection of Bennett's thoughts on Success, Marriage, Mental Efficiency, buying/not buying books and many more burning topics of life. Again a short read, but very pragmatic.
Richard
This was described as one of the first self help books. An interesting and sometimes very funny commentary on "mental efficiency", and the authors commentary on marriage, success and other things. I will put it on my to read again list. 3.5
Almae
Nov 30, 2016 Almae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading this author.
For this particular book, however, I am still puzzling how the chapters following the first are related to the title. Nevertheless, I gleaned some useful advice from this book and would read it again.
C-shaw
Dec 31, 2012 C-shaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot to log in when I finished this, so I'm guessing 2/28/13. This was quite entertaining, with many funny quotations to remember, lots of pithy humor.
Maggie
amazingly timely and very very well written.
Nageshingole
Christina
Dec 19, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lol
Tory
Tory rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2013
Marina
Marina rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2017
Sunny Az
Sunny Az rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Erik Paas
Erik Paas rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Bill Winters
Bill Winters rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Sheina
Sheina rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Rana
Rana rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Hade
Hade rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Edwin
Edwin rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • On The Art Of Reading
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • It Takes a Genome: How a Clash Between Our Genes and Modern Life Is Making Us Sick
  • This We Know
  • The Moonlighter's Guide to: Online Writing for Immediate Income
  • Even You Can Learn Statistics: A Guide for Everyone Who Has Ever Been Afraid of Statistics
  • The Rules of Chess
  • 15 Successful Communications Lessons (Collection)
  • The Hinge: The Importance of Mental Toughness
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • 7 Ancient Keys to Happiness: A 90 Day, Lesson-a-Day Guide to Achieving Inner-Bliss
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • The Power of Impossible Thinking: Transform the Business of Your Life and the Life of Your Business [With CDROM]
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • CK-12 Advanced Probability and Statistics
  • Now You're Thinking!: Change Your Thinking...Transform Your Life
  • Living off the Grid
Enoch Arnold Bennett (always known as Arnold Bennett) was one of the most remarkable literary figures of his time, a product of the English Potteries that he made famous as the Five Towns. Yet he could hardly wait to escape his home town, and he did so by the sheer force of his ambition to succeed as an author. In his time he turned his hand to every kind of writing, but he will be remembered for ...more
More about Arnold Bennett...

“What then? Are we only to buy the books that we read? The question has merely to be thus bluntly put, and it answers itself. All impassioned bookmen, except a few who devote their whole lives to reading, have rows of books on their shelves which they have never read, and which they never will read. I know that I have hundreds such. My eye rests on the works of Berkeley in three volumes, with a preface by the Right Honourable Arthur James Balfour. I cannot conceive the circumstances under which I shall ever read Berkeley; but I do not regret having bought him in a good edition, and I would buy him again if I had him not; for when I look at him some of his virtue passes into me; I am the better for him. A certain aroma of philosophy informs my soul, and I am less crude than I should otherwise be. This is not fancy, but fact.

[…..]

"Taking Berkeley simply as an instance, I will utilise him a little further. I ought to have read Berkeley, you say; just as I ought to have read Spenser, Ben Jonson, George Eliot, Victor Hugo. Not at all. There is no ‘ought’ about it. If the mass of obtainable first-class literature were, as it was perhaps a century ago, not too large to be assimilated by a man of ordinary limited leisure _in_ his leisure and during the first half of his life, then possibly there might be an ‘ought’ about it. But the mass has grown unmanageable, even by those robust professional readers who can ‘grapple with whole libraries.’ And I am not a professional reader. I am a writer, just as I might be a hotel-keeper, a solicitor, a doctor, a grocer, or an earthenware manufacturer. I read in my scanty spare time, and I don’t read in all my spare time, either. I have other distractions. I read what I feel inclined to read, and I am conscious of no duty to finish a book that I don’t care to finish. I read in my leisure, not from a sense of duty, not to improve myself, but solely because it gives me pleasure to read. Sometimes it takes me a month to get through one book. I expect my case is quite an average case. But am I going to fetter my buying to my reading? Not exactly! I want to have lots of books on my shelves because I know they are good, because I know they would amuse me, because I like to look at them, and because one day I might have a caprice to read them. (Berkeley, even thy turn may come!) In short, I want them because I want them. And shall I be deterred from possessing them by the fear of some sequestered and singular person, some person who has read vastly but who doesn’t know the difference between a J.S. Muria cigar and an R.P. Muria, strolling in and bullying me with the dreadful query: ‘_Sir, do you read your books?_”
2 likes