Start by marking “Confession” as Want to Read:
Confession

Confession (Jenny Cain #9)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Jenny Cain would never forget the hot Massachusetts summer day fate knocked at her door. Fate was a teenaged boy with rumpled clothes, a motorcycle, and a shocking but credible story: Jenny's husband, Geof, was his biological father. The boy, David Mayer, wasn't looking for an emotional reunion, but he did have an agenda. His parents -- and he was quick to make the point t ...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confession

Dale
Dec 09, 2014 Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marked improvement in the series.

This is part of a series of books about Jenny Cain and her police detective husband Geoff. In most of the books, Cain runs a philanthropical organization. In this book, she has left the foundation and is casting about for the finances to start another foundation in order to help the people of the New England seaport city of Port Frederick.

While this is happening her husband has a mysterious visit from a teenage boy who claims that Geoff is his biological father
Sarah Anne Carter
A cop and his “Nancy Drew” wife are taken aback when a young man shows up on their doorstep not only with a mystery for them to solve but with information that will forever change their world.
This is the 9th book in the Jenny Cain mysteries. Normally, I would not pick up a book that far into a series as my first book, but my local library was having an adult reading program that I couldn’t refuse – a blind date with a book. I had to pick out a book that was covered in brown paper, read it and wr
Janebook
Sep 17, 2015 Janebook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Cain mystery, as the story unfolds, she is a well-to-do woman trying to start her own charitable foundation. The author inserts clues about "darkness" but the crux is not revealed to the very end. She becomes more involved,and likeable, as she is revealed to be a married woman who is suddenly confronted by a teenager claiming to be her husbands son.

He husbands profession, he police, is the main reason the son has appeared. His "real" parents recently perished in what was portrayed as a mur
.Ally.Pally.
Jan 14, 2008 .Ally.Pally. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to .Ally.Pally. by: Katie M.
Shelves:
I think someone who has a lot of time on their hands should read this book. It is very confusing at first because it is mostly jenny talking about her past for the first to chapters. It also has a weird plot. I liked it a lot though because its a comical suspense and I really do like the story line.
The story is about a woman named Jenny and her husband Geof who find out years later that Geof has a son named David. David wants Geof to find out what really happened to his parents ron and judy.
LJ
CONFESSION - VG
Pickard, Nancy - 9th ins series

Jenny Cain would never forget the hot Massachusetts summer day fate knocked at her door. Fate was a teenaged boy with rumpled clothes, a motorcycle, and a shocking byt credible story: Jenny's husband, Geof, was his biological father. The boy, David Mayer, wasn't looking for an emotional reunion, but he did have an agenda. His parents--and he was quick to make the point, that Geof was nothing to him--died earlier in the year, a murder/suicide accordi
Pat
Feb 15, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Very suspenseful.
Cop married to Jenny Cain may be the father of a teenage boy whose parents just murder/suicided.
Strange religion involving corporal punishment.
Jenny is starting a foundation in town.
Diane
May 17, 2014 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't realize this was part of a series...I'm more than halfway through and am intrigued. Let's see how it ends!

It's done. Only ok. Prefer the stand alone books instead.
Luz  C. Johnson
Sep 26, 2013 Luz C. Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think Cain’s mystery series couldn’t get any better: WHAM! PAU! BOOM! Played impeccably well in the well known town of “Poor Fred”, any wife’s nightmare comes true: a teenager knocking at your door claiming he is your husband’s son. AAAuuuuu! A prominent construction company turned out to be a bunch of weird, religious-scary- twisted-cult group family. Judy Baker’s story is gripping, chilling, shocking and sad. I don’t know why, but I often think about her; so vulnerable, so innoce ...more
Ann
Dec 07, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Cain and her husband are at home when a young man rings the doorbell and changes their lives. He announces that he has learned that Jenny's husband Geoff is his real father. He wants him to investigate the death of his mother and "father" which was ruled a murder suicide. He insists that it was murder and Geoff owes it to him to solve the case. This starts them on a path that is suspenseful, mysterious and weird. Ms. Pickard is a genius and it comes out as she weaves an intricate tale. Ver ...more
Sara
Aug 11, 2013 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Pickard is fun to read and this one has an engaging plot at the beginning, but flags partway through when you're sure you know how it's going to turn out. And it DOES turn out that way but with some grotesque twists that you don't anticipate. A fast read with psychological insight that puts it a bit above the norm for this genre. Sort of a dark cozy, if that makes any sense - the crew of girlfriends and the sexy cop husband are the cozy part, spiced up with some darkness.
George
Feb 07, 2012 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#9 in the Jenny Cain mystery series. Set in the small town of Port Frederick, MA, Jenny and her police detective husband find themselves involved in another murder mystery. A 16 year old claiming to be her husband's son demands of him to reopen the murder suicide of his parents to prove it wasn't done by his father. The story is a tangle that has to be untangled and involves confessions and what happens because of them.
Jess
Oct 06, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh. It was engaging enough that I *had* to finish it, but it was somewhat unsatisfying. The characters did not seem to have clear and compelling motivations for their actions (even after they were revealed and the mystery resolved). This is the first Pickard book I've read. I will try another in her Jenny Cain series, but if I detect a similar lack of character development, I will be quicker to put it away.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Cain and her husband Geof are surprised one day when a 17 year old boy shows up on their door step claiming to be Geof's son. He wants Geof, who is a cop, to prove that his father didn't murder his mother and then commit suicide. The book wandered too much into weird discussions of religion and had a very depressing ending. I've read other books in the Jenny Cain series and liked them.
John Carter
Sep 10, 2012 John Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cain-jenny
I haven’t had my hands on a Pickard mystery in a long time; but because she writes a series of culinary mysteries I was thinking culinary=light-hearted. I forgot that the Jenny Cain stories are serious novels. Very well written and with believable characters, although the plot—or rather, the story—is very disturbing. It’s time to pick up some more Pickard.
Julie H.
Jul 12, 2009 Julie H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's emotionally tough times for Jenny when her husband Geof's long-lost son (i.e., his existence was previously unknown to Jenny) shows up on their doorstep. The young man's backstory is as troubling as it is complex, and there's an additional death in short order. Jenny really shows her mettle here.
Marti
Sep 15, 2009 Marti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the Jenny Cain series featuring her and Geof, her policeman husband. A teenager, David Mayer, says that Geof is his biological father so they have to investigate this claim and David's family--a construction team with a religious cult background. Rather hard to swallow, in some places.
SmarterLilac
Feb 05, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a good break from the classic lit I've been torturing myself with all winter, so I picked up this mystery. It's greeaaat. As the reviews promised, it had a fascinating, believable plot, an intriguing heroine and a conclusion that I truly didn't see coming. A rare find.
Ayen27
Aug 13, 2008 Ayen27 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some things may be really hard to understand. There may come a point in time when you have to face the truth. But always remember, truth never fails and it will always prevail.
Cindy
Sep 21, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries, series
Jenny is stunned when her husband's long-lost son shows up. His mother has been killed. Helping him out gets them involved with a strict religious group that may prove deadly.
Katie
Jan 14, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries and sarcasm
there is a lot of sarcasm in this book, and the characters remind me of me and my friends a little. it has comical and suspense throughout the whole book. VERY COOL :)
holls
Jul 13, 2008 holls rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Jenny Cain book I've read. I like her character but the story was a bit meh for me.
Diane Johnson
Another 3 1/2 star book! Good ending--kept me reading to figure it out!
Heather
Feb 06, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Jenny Cain books! I re-read them all the time!
Gloria Mccracken
Another excellent offering in a superb series.
Kimberly
Jan 09, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very dark mystery.
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 15, 2016
Neva Williams
Neva Williams rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Steve Mulligan
Steve Mulligan rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
  • Hound
  • Boca Knights
  • North of Montana (Ana Grey, #1)
  • Follow the Sharks (Brady Coyne, #3)
  • Violation
  • Distant Blood
  • Doll's Eyes
  • The Dying of the Light: A Mystery
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • The Missing Chapter
  • Pulse
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • The Seduction of Peter S.
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
  • The Chardonnay Charade (Wine Country Mysteries #2)
(from Wikipedia)

Nancy Pickard (born 1945) is a US crime novelist. She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. She also served on the board of directors of the Mystery Writers of America. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35.
More about Nancy Pickard...

Jenny Cain (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)
  • Say No to Murder (Jenny Cain, #2)
  • No Body (Jenny Cain, #3)
  • Marriage Is Murder (Jenny Cain, #4)
  • Dead Crazy (Jenny Cain, #5)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • The Virgin of Small Plains
  • But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)