Start by marking “Fall is Not Easy” as Want to Read:
Fall is Not Easy

Fall is Not Easy

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Fall is a tough time of year for a lot of us. Kids have to go back to school, teachers and football players have to go back to work, and parents have to look for new places to hide holiday presents. But perhaps fall is hardest of all on trees. After all, they have to change their entire appearance every year! This book is the rhyming story of a tree's humorous struggles to ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Zino Press Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Fall is Not Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall is Not Easy

The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinThe Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Tale of Three Trees by Angela Elwell HuntA Tree Is Nice by Janice May UdryThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry
Picture Books About Trees
60th out of 110 books — 15 voters
Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin Soup by Helen CooperApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. RockwellFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson
Picture books about Fall
42nd out of 58 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
Winter is easy.
My branches are bare.
Then snow starts to melt
And spring's in the air.
(and so forth through the seasons...
until fall)

Here the illustrations are a riot.
When leaves change color do they make
a Rainbow?
a Smiley face?
etc.--going through 8 more silly trys.

It would be fun to distribute coloring sheets with just a tree outline and challenge the children to make their own silly fall leaf design.
Heidi
This is a really fun book that will be great choice for the toddler audience in my fall-themed craft storytime. I love some of the tree's leaf difficulties. I think the older kids will get that, too.

10/9/10 A perfect choice for craft storytime. The right amount of text for toddlers, and all ages loved seeing the different leaves of the trees and saying what they looked like. Definitely a winner that I must use again this season.

10/12/10 & 10/14/10 Fabulous book for both the Outreach preschoo
This is a great little book. The illustrations are very traditional-looking, and it starts off seeming to be a typical sweet, if slightly boring, story about the seasons. But then when it gets to fall, you turn the page and get a silly surprise: the poor tree just can't get it right, and his leaves turn crazy colors in silly patterns, such as a rainbow, smiley face, cow print, world map, etc. Then, when he finally gets it right, they all fall off and winter blows in again.

This story is usually a
Lisa Vegan
The seasons are told from a tree’s point of view with fall season having a lot of tongue in cheek turn of events before autumn is shown as is. The story is cute and funny and is in simple rhyme form. The pictures are a delightful and silly. This is a good introduction to the seasons for young children.

Natalie
Starts out slow and poetic then the unexpected giggles kick in.
Courtney
This book is a great book for a young audience. It shows young audiences that nothing last forever. It displays the different seasons and how to make the best out of each season. It also shows that if you stick around everything comes back in a full circle. An activity I can incorporate in class is for every season we can explore the different changes. During the Fall, we can pick up leaves, during the spring, discover the flowers, during the winter, feel the different forms of ice, and during t ...more
Maggie KutsBorg
I'm into it. I think the all-wrong leaves can work for the toddlers, especially if I show them some orange/red/brown trees before this and really drive home the real science before we see the book invert those expectations. Gods, I'm excited for fall storytime. (August 27, 2014)

I read this at Toddler Time and yes, I made the prop. I found that it worked best if I read the book and showed them the illustrations for the first few pages, but once the leaves start to get funny, I set the book down i
June
Oct 20, 2014 June rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
One of my favorite picture books so far this year. A look at the seasons from a trees point of view. Simple but fun. I'll try it for my Autumn story time and maybe change the rating after I see how it works. 8/31/11

I used this for both my preschool class visits and it got giggles from both groups. 9/24/12

Used this with a Kindergarten class with great results. The teacher wrote me an e-mail afterwards "The children enjoyed it so much and couldn't stop talking about it on their return trip to scho
South Country Library Children's Department
This is a great book for Autumn. It starts off slowly, making kids think it is going to be a dry book about the seasons. But then the tree's silly predicament is revealed - it can't get its leaf color right. Instead, the tree looks is colored like a soccer ball, the Earth, a hamburger and more. Kids giggle when they see this. Will the tree ever get it right? Makes a great read-aloud for a class.
Lynne
I used this book in a story time for 4-6 year olds. They laughed and laughed at the struggles of the poor little tree to do what it is supposed to do in the autumn. The humor comes through the illustrations as the tree can't manage to change colors in the proper way. I love this little book!
Erin Gunderson
This is a really fun book to turn into a flannelboard. My storytime kids just loved it. Thanks to the crew at "flannelboard fridays" for the inspiration!
Karen
Seasons of a tree with rhyming text and just enough words!! Silly tree designs will make this a learning through laughter type of book on my shelf.
Angela
This was adorable, and perfect for my theme about the changing seasons. I hope we can get a copy for our school library.
Meadow
This was so cute! Fall is a time of change that many of us find challenging. Did you ever think of how hard it is for trees?
Kristy
Great book for explaining the seasons, and it has a humorous twist that kids will enjoy.

Good for storytime.
Gaby Roman
I loved reading this story. The illustrations were great. I would use this story in my classroom, if my students were learning about weather and fall. We would discuss how the trees change as the weather gets cooler outside. I would do an activity were either we create trees out of construction paper and show how the trees change and write a sentence about why the trees change throughout fall, or I would have my students create their own type of tree just like the story did and write a few sente ...more
Beth Singleton
One of my favorite books about the seasons. This little tree has got some pretty impressive fall colors.
Tam
Chanelle
This book is great to show the process between the seasons of how tress sprout and loose their leaves. I like how the author is very descriptive and talks in the child's point of view. In the book the different changes in leaves are cool ways that a child might imagine a tree could look like. Then at the end, it shows the tree losing its leaves and winter coming back again. Fall is Not Easy is great to show the cycle of seasons.
Mrs. Brandt
This is a silly book about a tree whose leaves just won't cooperate in the Fall. They change colors, but they do it all wrong! One minute the tree is purple with yellow polka dots, then it has blue and white stripes, next it might look like a rainbow, or a hamburger or a neon sign or a clown face. Kindergartners: How can we tell that this is a made-up story?
Ellen Brandt
Samantha
A tree takes readers through the seasons of the year and explains what happens to it as the result of each. Fall is a fun, creative look at the many patterns the leaves take on before finally falling to the ground.

Overall, a fun seasonal read aloud for PreK-2.
Lynn
Simply delightful, in easy, natural rhythm and rhyme, just as one season flows to another. Clever illustrations of tree trying to get the autumn colors 'right', showing easily recognizable images, such as a hamburger, the globe, and a pumpkin, all done in watercolors.
Lindsey
A great book for beginner level ELLs.

A nice book from the perspective of a tree going through the seasons. Of course Fall is not Easy, but not because the tree dreads losing its leaves like I thought. A fun and simple read.

Melanie
A tale of a tree that thinks it's easy being a tree in winter, spring and summer. But when fall comes around it can't get it's leaves to do what the tree thinks they should be doing.

A cute, simple and charming seasonal story.
Cora
A book about a tree who goes through each season, and how it thinks fall is the hardest. Good book to teach kids about seasons or a good book to start the year off since school starts in the fall.
Leah
Nice illustrations and a simple, bouncing/rhyming text. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of opportunity for interaction in a storytime, so may be best shared one on one. Potential as a felt story.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Nov 03, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers
A tree explains that while it is relatively simple to produce leaves, and have them be all the same color, fall makes things much trickier. The tree produces some very unusual patterns! Funny!
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • Time to Sleep
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Apples and Pumpkins
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • Up, Down, and Around
Twelve Terrible Things Winter Woes The Rules Summer Stinks Fame Forture and the Bran Muffins of Doom