Start by marking “Scar Tissue” as Want to Read:
Scar Tissue

Scar Tissue

From the bestselling author of THE BLADE ITSELF and GOOD PEOPLE comes an anthology of seven short stories. Featuring both award-winners and previously unpublished works, these tales of men and women pushed to--and beyond--the ragged edge demonstrate why National Public Radio declared Sakey writes "crime drama for the 21st century."
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 19th 2010 by Marcus Sakey (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Scar Tissue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scar Tissue

Kfir Luzzatto
Sep 21, 2012 Kfir Luzzatto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many reasons why what could have been just a good story turns into a great one, but it almost always requires a piece of the author's soul to stick to the story and flavor it with an unmistakable true-life ingredient. When an author writes stories with a dramatic edge without going through some gut twisting, the result is plastic, regardless of how professional his prose may be; but if he reads what he has written and it evokes long-forgotten sensations, whether pleasant or disagreeabl ...more
B.D. Crowell
Oct 29, 2012 B.D. Crowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Oh. My. God. This was fantastic! I'd never read Sakey, or heard of him for that matter, before this post over on JA Konrath's blog. It seemed like the proceeds were going to a good cause, so I purchased it.

The first story was a little off for me, but the rest of them more than made up for it. Sakey has a way of using descriptors in an unexpected but wholly effective manner. I loved the way he would paint a picture with his words. Each story really drew me in.

The bottom line is if you've not rea
Benoit Lelièvre
Sep 28, 2012 Benoit Lelièvre rated it really liked it
Marcus Sakey is more than just hype, that I can tell you. I didn't know anything about him last week and then picked up Scar Tissue on a whim, because of his involvement with pediatric cancer (and because I love crime fiction too) and I've read this baby in one sitting. There are some stories that stand out, like THE DAYS WHEN YOU WERE ANYTHING ELSE, GRAVITY AND NEED and THE DESERT HERE AND THE DESERT FAR AWAY, who are told in a strong, unique voice. It was definitively worth the asking price an ...more
Dee Cherry
Feb 21, 2016 Dee Cherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
This book was recommended to me by a fellow reader. I found these stories to be rather intriguing-attention grabbing with a slight twist. The content presented in each story kept me reading & I was finished reading all the stories before I knew it. As this was my first read by Marcus Sakey, I found myself enjoying his style of writing & I plan to read more of his work.
G.A. Marshall
Mar 25, 2013 G.A. Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories are hard, but Sakey really does it well. I was drawn in several times, and kept reading until the end. The author is able to pull you into a story, introduce and explain the characters, and give you a nice nugget of a story very quickly. I'd recommend it for short story lovers, and look forward to reading more from Sakey.
Robert
Dec 30, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable collection. The stories "The Deserts Here and the Deserts Far Away" and "The Days When You Were Anything Else" were great. So was the story "The Time Before the Last," which I included in my anthology Hint Fiction.
Susan Stuart
This is a book of short stories...I've never read one like it before and it was only ok for me. I didn't dislike any of the stories but I enjoy a longer book that I can get involved in. This just didn't do it for me.
Terry
Feb 21, 2016 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection

I've so enjoyed, and puzzled over, many of Sakey's stories. The "Brillants" trilogy was fantastic, so it doesn't surprise me to know his short stories are just as good. Another new kid on the block .... and SO welcomed!
Darcy
Jul 26, 2013 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy read. This is the first Marcus Sakey book that I have read and these short stories didn't disappoint. Each story puts an interesting spin on relationships, and the things humans will do in the name of love.
Huluriasquias
Nov 20, 2012 Huluriasquias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of short stories but these are spectacular. Sakey keeps on getting better and better.
Joy (Thoughts of Joy)
You can read my thoughts here. (3.5/5)
Suziqoregon
Nov 07, 2011 Suziqoregon rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 2011
Nikki
Jan 16, 2016 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fast read, but great stories... leaves you wanting more.
LA Smith
Dec 15, 2012 LA Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Excellent collection of stories told in Sakey's unmistakable style.
Brandon DeHart
Brandon DeHart rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Kira Ashley
Kira Ashley rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Dan Martini
Dan Martini rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
christina gomez
christina gomez rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2017
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Laszlo Nemes
Laszlo Nemes rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
David Inghram
David Inghram rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Manuel Pacheco
Manuel Pacheco rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Jim Kutzler
Jim Kutzler rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Gerald E Heinen
Gerald E Heinen rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Harry
Harry rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Mary Morris
Mary Morris rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Chris Vaccaro
Chris Vaccaro rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2012
R.G. Dillon
R.G. Dillon rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Shot to Die For (Ellie Foreman, #4)
  • Kansas City Noir
  • The Good Fight
  • A Scourge of Vipers (Liam Mulligan, #4)
  • Dawning (Nina Decker #0.5)
  • The Puppet Queen: A Tale of the Sleeping Beauty
  • Countdown: H Hour
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • The Right Hand
  • Dry Heat
  • Losing Control, Finding Serenity: How the Need to Control Hurts Us and How to Let It Go
  • The John Fante Reader
  • Dead Cells
  • Salvage Merc One
I was born in Flint, Michigan. Loving parents still together, forty-plus and counting. My brother Matt is a respected video game columnist and owner of the website Tap Repeatedly. He is also awesome.

I attended the University of Michigan, two majors, both promptly ignored. Collected single terms at grad schools in several states. Ten years in advertising and marketing gave me the perfect experienc
More about Marcus Sakey...

“Everybody wants. Without that, what are you? Just an animal taking care of needs.” 0 likes