Start by marking “Scar Tissue” as Want to Read:
Scar Tissue

Scar Tissue

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From the bestselling author of THE BLADE ITSELF and GOOD PEOPLE comes an anthology of seven short stories. Featuring both award-winners and previously unpublished works, these tales of men and women pushed to--and beyond--the ragged edge demonstrate why National Public Radio declared Sakey writes "crime drama for the 21st century."
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 19th 2010 by Marcus Sakey (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Scar Tissue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scar Tissue

Kfir Luzzatto
There are many reasons why what could have been just a good story turns into a great one, but it almost always requires a piece of the author's soul to stick to the story and flavor it with an unmistakable true-life ingredient. When an author writes stories with a dramatic edge without going through some gut twisting, the result is plastic, regardless of how professional his prose may be; but if he reads what he has written and it evokes long-forgotten sensations, whether pleasant or disagreeabl ...more
B.D. Crowell
Oh. My. God. This was fantastic! I'd never read Sakey, or heard of him for that matter, before this post over on JA Konrath's blog. It seemed like the proceeds were going to a good cause, so I purchased it.

The first story was a little off for me, but the rest of them more than made up for it. Sakey has a way of using descriptors in an unexpected but wholly effective manner. I loved the way he would paint a picture with his words. Each story really drew me in.

The bottom line is if you've not rea
Benoit Lelievre
Marcus Sakey is more than just hype, that I can tell you. I didn't know anything about him last week and then picked up Scar Tissue on a whim, because of his involvement with pediatric cancer (and because I love crime fiction too) and I've read this baby in one sitting. There are some stories that stand out, like THE DAYS WHEN YOU WERE ANYTHING ELSE, GRAVITY AND NEED and THE DESERT HERE AND THE DESERT FAR AWAY, who are told in a strong, unique voice. It was definitively worth the asking price an ...more
G.A. Marshall
Short stories are hard, but Sakey really does it well. I was drawn in several times, and kept reading until the end. The author is able to pull you into a story, introduce and explain the characters, and give you a nice nugget of a story very quickly. I'd recommend it for short story lovers, and look forward to reading more from Sakey.
Robert
Very enjoyable collection. The stories "The Deserts Here and the Deserts Far Away" and "The Days When You Were Anything Else" were great. So was the story "The Time Before the Last," which I included in my anthology Hint Fiction.
Darcy
Quick, easy read. This is the first Marcus Sakey book that I have read and these short stories didn't disappoint. Each story puts an interesting spin on relationships, and the things humans will do in the name of love.
Susan Stuart
This is a book of short stories...I've never read one like it before and it was only ok for me. I didn't dislike any of the stories but I enjoy a longer book that I can get involved in. This just didn't do it for me.
Joy (Thoughts of Joy)
You can read my thoughts here. (3.5/5)
Huluriasquias
I'm not a big fan of short stories but these are spectacular. Sakey keeps on getting better and better.
L.a. Smith
Excellent collection of stories told in Sakey's unmistakable style.
Kristine
Seven stunning short stories of violence, suspense, and heartbreak.
Suziqoregon
Nancy Lessem
Nancy Lessem marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Ka Muccilli
Ka Muccilli is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Kyle Shields
Kyle Shields marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Tracey Pedersen
Tracey Pedersen marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Lorisza Ong
Lorisza Ong is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
14 marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lindy
Lindy marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Beatrice
Beatrice marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Bess
Bess marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
  • The Stolen Ones (Stevens & Windermere, #4)
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • Every Last Secret: A Mystery
  • Doctor Who: Embrace the Darkness (Big Finish Audio Drama #31)
  • At Eighty-Two: A Journal
  • Borderline (Hard Case Crime #115)
  • Of the Heart (Solstice, #1)
  • Delta Blues
  • And Nothing But the Truthiness: The Rise (and Further Rise) of Stephen Colbert
  • Driving Lessons
  • Long Way Home: A Young Man Lost in the System and the Two Women Who Found Him
  • Arthur Mervyn
  • Fry's English Delight: Series 1 (Fry's English Delight, #1)
  • Why I Write: Thoughts on the Craft of Fiction
  • Tequila Sunset
  • Fauna and Family
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Jubilee (Big Finish Audio Drama, #40)
Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1) A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2) The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes The Blade Itself Good People