Start by marking “How to Get Into Law School” as Want to Read:
How to Get Into Law School

How to Get Into Law School

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Whether you're is a college junior facing the LSATs, a senior sitting with disappointing test scores, or someone who has always dreamed of a career in the law, there is too much at stake not to ask the hard questions about what lies ahead. "How to Get into Law School" will tell you all you need to know about:
Choosing and applying to law school
The law school admission te
Published August 1st 2004 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Into Law School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Into Law School

Shanae
Jan 03, 2011 Shanae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone thinking about law school
I have an overwhelming feeling of excitement after finishing this book. The foreword from Prof. Sullivan is very telling. Undoubtedly, Prof. Estrich is very good at teaching and inspiring people. I never sensed any bias in this book, despite the very fact that she graduated from and teaches at amazing schools. I recommend this book for anyone thinking of applying to law school, individuals preparing for the LSAT, people preparing to apply to law school (like me), and new attorneys. The book is f ...more
Anna
Jul 08, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An insider’s guide written by the first woman president of the Harvard Law Review and current law professor at USC, this book is a great resource for any perspective student. I’m currently weighing the pros and cons of grad school vs. law, so my lawyer brother sent me this book to help in the decision. It didn’t really help me decide, but it did give me a lot to think about.
LSATs, what school, where, and how to get in are all covered with humor and depth. She includes helpful hints on what adm
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone entertaining the thought of law school
"How to Get into Law School" is perfect for anyone in law school, applying to law school, or thinking about maybe applying to law school. As indicated, I first read this book three years ago, and at that time I was thinking about maybe applying to law school. "How to Get into Law School" not only convinced me that law school was the right decision for me, but it also provided a road map. By carefully following the advice in this book over the course of a few years, I am pleased to report that I ...more
Edy
Apr 24, 2008 Edy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-LSAT courses and intense preparation for LSATs
-memorable personal statement of overcoming great life odds
-you can finagle your way into getting an interview at all law schools even if interviews aren't their policy
-try to get personally acquainted with the dean

-briefing cases obsessively while in law school is mostly a waste of time and doesn't really prepare you for exams

a few top law firms:
Holland and Knight
Foley and Lardner
Kirkland and Ellis

"the absolute best job you can possibly get coming
Mary
Jul 23, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two key points about this book: first, Susan Estrich is an incredibly annoying and abrasive woman. Her constant name-dropping is paired with an antagonistic and condescending attitude towards her readers that I found extremely off-putting. Secondly, this book is really only useful to prospective law students who have their hearts set on a "reach" school they can't get into based on their LSAT and GPA. Some "secret" tactics include being nice to the receptionists and trying to score a phone call ...more
Brendan Hall
Dec 27, 2014 Brendan Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful book with some pointers for the law school application process. I would recommend to anyone considering applying to law school.
Anne Palmer
Jun 20, 2010 Anne Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book offers valuable insight from a woman's perspective on law school. It's particularly engaging because she writes in everyday vernacular, and although this was published in 2004, the book seems to reflect the experiences of today's law students or aspiring law students. Estrich was the first woman editor-in-chief of Harvard Law Review, first woman professor tenured at Harvard Law, and first woman to run a presidential campaign (Michael Dukakis' unsuccessful 1988 run).
Billjustbill
Sep 12, 2011 Billjustbill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sure seemed like great advice, but (because of this book and others AND talking to working attorneys) I decided NOT to go to law school. But if you're trying to get in, this was really one of the (if not THE) best summary of what you need to do.
Desiree
Sep 25, 2012 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was very informative about the law school admissions process. There's a also a part 2 which gives some information about law school life.
Kate
Dec 03, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice and inside look to the process....especially after undergraduate graduation.
Anna
Jun 26, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valuable and honest insight into law school from an admissions officer's perspective.
Kelly Pattison
Kelly Pattison marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Angela Ward
Angela Ward rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Michael Zitomer
Michael Zitomer marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Madison
Madison is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2016
Erika Jost
Erika Jost rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Katrina Jackson
Katrina Jackson rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Matthew Ciaramella
Matthew Ciaramella rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Liza
Liza rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
K. Jane
K. Jane rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Sara Allison
Sara Allison rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Mithila Krishnan
Mithila Krishnan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Mark Sayson
Mark Sayson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Susan Estrich is a Professor of Law at the University of Southern California. She has worked in politics as a congressional consul and a presidential campaign manager. She is a commentator on law and politics for FOX News.
More about Susan Estrich...