Start by marking “The Natural History Book: The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth” as Want to Read:
The Natural History Book: The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth

The Natural History Book: The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth

4.74 of 5 stars 4.74  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  33 reviews

A landmark in reference publishing and overseen and authenticated by the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, Natural History presents an unrivaled visual survey of Earth's natural history. Giving a clear overview of the classification of our natural world-over 6,000 species-Natural History looks at every kingdom of life, from bacteria, minerals, a

Published October 1st 2010 by DK Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Natural History Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Natural History Book

Rebekah
A gorgeously photographed visual dictionary of living life on earth. I checked this out so my ESL student and I can go over some vocabulary and pronunciation. This would also make a great coffee table book.
Regina Hunter
Truly is an amazing book. Although I wish for a little more information - but I think otherwise this book would explode! It was a very nice and a thoughtful gift, from a very dear friend. I have read this book a couple times since my birthday and still skimming though it.
Thank you Kasia.
Kellie
I own thousands of books. My fiancée owns more than I do. This book has made me happier than any book I've ever owned. The only word I can think of to describe it is: it made me breathless. Ok, that is 4 words, but it IS amazing.
Michelle
This is a BEAUTIFUL book, fascinating for kids and adults (especially once we flipped past a little evolution and global warming on the first few pages). A good Christmas gift for the whole family...
Marie
Natural History: The Visual Guide to Everything on Earth presents "a unique record of the rich diversity of life on Earth." It displays over 5000 full colour entries from rocks and minerals to plants, animals and microscopic life forms. The book also highlights a number of individual specimens and species allowing the reader to get a closer look at their splendor.

This is such a fantastic book. It's large format allow for lots of gorgeous labelled photographs and tons of information on the vario
Martin Budd
This astonishing and breathtaking book marks the pinnacle of natural history publishing. With the growth in multimedia technology this book is unlikely ever to be surpassed by another work of print alone. The rich deep natural colours of the photographs, the clear and concise prose make it an accessible book for all age groups from 7 years upwards. Many of the articles and pictures inspire further research and study, and the sheer pleasure of holding and browsing this book will make you want to ...more
Tom
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOSH

This is the most amazing book in the world.

Why I chose to read it, well duh it says the Natural History book, they even have a whole page on Phylogenetic s. And if you own the book and look on
Cathy
A fascinating book covering all aspects of life and also other planetary treasures such as rocks and minerals. Not a light tome it is over 600 pages and about 12" x 12". It is lavishly illustrated with hundreds of photographs.
Madeline
I absolutely love this book. The photographs are excellent. I look at this book regularly an use it as a study aid for some of my courses. This is my go to reference book.
Freda mans
When I was a kid, my mom had a set of encyclopedia's I couldn't keep my hands off. This book instantly reminded me of that set, only if it came all in one book.
There is everything from the animal kingdom, plant life and even stones and crystals. All that is created seems to be featured in this book.
I will note, the publisher website states ages 18 and up, and I am glad for that, though I think younger teens would enjoy this book. I just found it to be very adult in terms, so small children will
Stuart
One of those magical books that helps recapture a youth flicking through my Dad's field guides and looking through various encyclopaedias at all the wonderful and weird creatures that inhabit our planet. Every house should own a copy of this book, with it's wonderful pictures of everything on earth from single cell microscopic archaeas that live on hydrothermal vents in the depth of our oceans to the mighty elephants and the plants they live on. Just one complaint there's some large pictures of ...more
Kim
Best Gift Ever!!! I LOVE this book! :o)
Bree
Notes:
gorgeous photography on every page
this book is huge and heavy -- maybe 2" thick
only mild 'evolution' stuff in very beginning
Alex
The pictures are inspiring, and the descriptions are beautifully written giving you a very brief overview of so many species. As a biologist, I have very few bones to pick with this book. It is wonderfully written for its purpose and would be a lovely addition in any library. Great for those of all ages! It is a gorgeous coffee table book as well, one you can pick up for a brief daily download of knowledge.
Dave
Nice photos, but I can't trust the information.

For instance, the "Goliath Tarantula" prominently featured on page 264 is incorrect. The photo is of an Usambara Orange Starburst Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) from Africa and NOT a Goliath Tarantula (Theraphosa blondi) from South America. As far as tarantulas go, the mistake couldn't be more glaring.
Rini
At first I was hesitant - It was $50, it was heavy and hard to carry, how would I ever explain it to my mother? But in the year that I've owned it, this book has sustained me through many sick days passed out on the couch and lazy days when TV sucks and times when I just needed to shut everything out and look at pictures of owls and flowers.
Caroline
I love this book like I have said many times and I recommend to do what I do with this book, every time you are bored pick it up and read one hundred pages (or more). It's very fun, and I know from experience with other books, that reading it all at once is not a good idea.
Andrea
My review: Beautiful photography. Emphasizes the diversity of species and adaptations for specific environments.

Mc's review: Goddamn why is it every page I turn to is fucking gross? Just the worst animal. Weird insects, worms, squid, spiders and scorpions.
Lily
I fell in love with this book at Barnes and Noble and bought it in a moment of weakness. I hardly ever look at it, but it's a beautiful book with amazing photographs. It would be a great book to have in a waiting room.
Lusine
Amazing book, for everyone! Wonders of nature are endless and this book gives you an amazing glimpse on their diversity. My table book, never tired of opening it over and over again! Recommend to all earthlings!:)
Jessica
A-maz-ing. If I could get my arms wrapped around it, I would hug it, but it is too big. Heavy enough to be used as a weapon also. Just some info for you to keep around in your noggin.
Joline Moore
WOW what an amazing collection~ absolutely everything in here as advertised! Kids really loved leafing thru it and looking at everything from germs to mushrooms to animal life! ME TOO!
Barbie
This is the best coffee table book ever. I feel like an annoying little kid every time I open it up making anyone within earshot to look at whatever entry I just discovered.
Emily
Beautiful! It is quite large, so it's definitely a coffe table book, but a beautiful one at that. A perfect companion to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.
Michael
Spectacular images. Comprehensive information. Wonderful notations and infographics! From minerals to whales, this edition has you covered!
Katharine
Beautiful and huge resource. Totally worth the purchase price. Now that I tried it out at the library, it's going on the "must buy" list.
Audrey Kanekoa-madrid
Fantastic collection of images and identifications. We often use it to identify plants and rocks we come across.
David Skies
The Ultimate Visual Guide to Everything on Earth? Where was my picture, DK Publishing? Where?
Debbie Qalballah
Bloomin brilliant! This one book can replace about twenty others off our shelves!
Jamie
An amazing book! Took me over two years to read but I highly recommend it.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine books 6 22 Feb 08, 2013 09:14AM
  • The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America
  • How Groundhog's Garden Grew
  • World War I
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • 100 Diagrams That Changed the World: From the Earliest Cave Paintings to the Innovation of the iPod
One Smile, One Arm: Life Experiences with One Arm The Complete Guide to Baby Naming Ceremonies The Many Adventures of Freddie the Circus Mouse Shout It in the Light: Conquering Life's Storms in Desperate Times The Women's Fitness Book