Start by marking “Dark Thirst (The Brethren, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Thirst (The Brethren, #1)

Dark Thirst (The Brethren #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  54 reviews
When Brandon Noble and Angelina Jones first met, he was an awkward teenager harbouring a crush on his tutor's sister. Five years later, Angelina is a streetwise cop who's sure she's seen it all, until Brandon comes back into her life - lean, handsome, possessing a strange, powerful allure...and a terrifying secret. "Dark Desires" - Brandon is one of the Brethren, an ancien ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Dark Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Thirst

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Brandon is a one of a kind hero. His story is heartbreaking. At one point, I almost put the book down, thinking why? How could someone be cruel to their own grandson like this? If you like tortured heroes, you must read this book. I like that Ms. Reinke threw out the rule book when she wrote this book. She was not afraid to make Brandon vulnerable and the opposite of what a lot of romance novel heroes are. That doesn't make him any less appealing. Brandon has been abused and mistreated by his fa ...more
Sarai
Dec 06, 2010 Sarai rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarai by: Shannon C.
OMG the hero is a mute deaf and so far I am itching for him to kill someone in his family is this a good sign?
Seriously I am having issues with this book and I'm 96 pages in.
1) the heroine is African American (no issue) she is a great person except we keep getting shown she is African American over and over like we are going to be smacked with it just in case we forget.
2) the hero is white and so far the heroine doesn't care for white men. I get that her ex cheated on her with a "White trophy
Pat Cromwell
I purchased this book because it is an IR. I'd grown skeptical of finding good paranormal series books because more and more they are not as unique as they once were. This was a plesant surprise. Sure it had some of the normal elements but there was a sinister feel to it that made it unique. Plus the hero was totally different from others I've read about. The book reads quickly and I was not bogged down with a bunch of fancy made up for shock value terms. I highly recommend this book if you;re l ...more
MK (Food actvist)
Sep 29, 2008 MK (Food actvist) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PNR, vampires,
Terra
Aug 20, 2008 Terra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Paranormal Lovers
Recommended to Terra by: the author
Dark Thirst by Sara Reinke is a hidden jewel in the Paranormal World. This novel should be on every Paranormal Lover's TBR or Wishlist. It is surprisingly different, action packed, cruel, loving and just plain all around fantastic that I for one cannot put this book down.

Angelina (Lina) Jones is beautiful, smart as a whip, stubborn, lithe and a police officer. She is your average unbelieving human until life's reality crashes in on her. Lina is also African American which adds so much character
Annette
Two big problems with this book:

First, the main male character (Brandon) starts out as a teen. I could not get him to mature in my mind, even when he's professing undying love (and acting on it) for the older female character (Lina)(five year difference, I think). She was all grown up right away. It just didn't work for me.

Second, author tries *way* too hard to distance her particular vampires from the "legend." Too many instances of "unlike the common belief" or some such nonsense words to dri
Jan
Feb 18, 2008 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance - Vampire Lovers
Book #1 of the Brethren Series.

This book gives me yet another facet of romance vampire lore to add to my paranormal grimoire - a vampire that has human disabilities. Sexy Brandon Noble is not only a vampire but he is also deaf and mute, with an as-yet untapped advanced telepathic ability. The advanced nature of this ability no doubt brought on by the fact that he has not been able to communicate verbally to others since the age of 5 when he was attacked by burglars in his family home.

I laughed a
J.M.
I don't normally read paranormal romance, but this book's very close to urban fantasy so I made an exception. I have to say, the author isn't afraid to eff her main character up. Poor Brandon is put through the wringer by his vampire family. Lucky for him he has the beautiful and capable Angelina. Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" puts it best regarding the protagonist in her review: "Brandon shows an inner strength, kind of in a Zen way. He is the tree that doesn't break because it bends. He re ...more
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
This book was emotionally crippling for me during the 1st few chapters. Things calmed down a bit and then picked back up. I fell in love with Brandon and Lina. I don't want to give anything away with this one since it's part of a 3 book series I've just begun reading, but I think this one is an excellent introduction into this series and the characters involved. I highly recommend this one. Hoping book 2 will be even better!
Linds
I think I would have liked this book if I hadn't read it on the heels of Lover Mine by JR Ward. That book also features a mute, tortured, vampire protaganist. JR Wards Brotherhood series is one of my, if not my favorite series so this book had a lot to be compared to. I'll have to give it another try sometime to give it a fair shake.
Robin
More world building. It wasn't bad, but it moved a little bit slow in parts as a lot of books do when they're the first in the series.

I'm excited about the series, though.
Shayna
Loved it. I really connected with the Brandon character. This was a well written book.
Felicia (Ferishia)
Jody
As the grandson of a rich and powerful horse breeder/whiskey producer Brandon Noble's life should have been ideal, but a childhood attack that left him deaf and mute turned him into a family embarrassment. To a family like his, vampires who choose to feed off humans and treat them like cattle, weakness is abhorrent and not a moment goes by where they don't mentally and physically show him their disdain. Brandon finally has enough and finds shelter with his former tutor and his cop sister who are ...more
Inkspeckle
This was the first vampire novel I read, so is it any wonder I became almost instantly addicted? I loved the lines Reinke crossed when spinning this tale. I was surprised by many things: the disabilities of an immortal, the varied differences between the two main characters... but I was most surprised by how much I completely HATED Brandon's brother and grandfather. Also, I love a story that has a strong heroine and Angelina certainly was that. I recommend this book to anyone who loves to be ple ...more
J. Goodman
It is a well written story about a young man who is deaf, having lost his hearing in a tragic incident when he was but a pup. You can almost feel his pain, confusion, failures and triumphs as he struggles to find his place amid a family that seems to, for the most part, openly despise him for what they perceive as his weakness. Oh, and he happens to be a vampire. When he finally gathers the courage to leave his abusive home, well… that’s when the real adventure begins.
Collie
3.5. Solid writing with some sexy-cute moments and well-detailed action, but without a real strong, snapping sparkle. The end could've affirmed the connection between them as well, but instead, didnt? I dunno, a pretty good read to pass the time, the middle sagged a bit, but not a terrible book by any means. There's just more interesting ones is all.
Stacie
Sep 09, 2008 Stacie added it
A quick read about a vampire named Brandon. He was terribly abused by his grandfather. He continues to try and get away from his family. He is in love with Angelina but she is the sister of his former teacher. His interest in her could put her in danger from his family.
Carrie Gosselin wyman
Story line is different

Good story line , different take on vamps. Lots of feeling from abuse as a child and was done well. Rated PG13 sex scenes .
Mary  (Biblophile)
Not too impressed with this one. Couldn't get into the story of Brandon Noble who is part of the Brethren, and ancient clan of ruthless vampires. Really didn't care what happened to anyone in this boring tale.
Anita
Nov 23, 2008 Anita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Lynn Viehl's Darklyn series
There's nothing wrong with the writing in this book, but it's much too sadistic and violent for my taste - I stopped reading after a few chapters. If you like Lynn Viehl's Darklyn series, you might like this.
Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over**
This is a good book for someone who likes a beta hero. Unfortunately I do not fall into that category.
Michelle Randall
Rebecca
I am not an enormous fan of supernatural fiction in general, although I am drawn to stories that use the supernatural as a vehicle for exploring other elements that are common struggles for human nature. The reason I love the TV series "Being Human" (especially the UK version), is because of this--the idea that we all struggle, in some ways, to fight our worser nature and fit in with society, find our place.

I was recommended the Brethren series because of Brandon Noble--the main character of the
brownstocking
I'm going to read Book Two, merely because I'm hoping the author moves away from IR. Not because I don't like paranormal IR, I crave it, especially a BW as heroine who isn't a victim or complete psycob!+*&; it's because this author makes a deal out of it, but doesn't follow it through authentically. Not to mention, the way the heroine kept screaming "I'm a cop!" Blah blah blah, I had to agree with the main villain in a scene leading up to the denouement, she said that all the time. To what e ...more
Brandi
I wasn't really a huge fan of this book. I think that less could have been focused on about race and the differences between the two characters socially.

The main character was somewhat one-dimensional and the "bad guys" seemed like even more so. The next book is apparently about the grandfather which I can't see how exactly I'm going to be able to relate to him after this book. The grandfather, while under pressure, it just too cruel to feel bad for.

Needless to say, It's not my favorite series
Liz
Wow! This one took a while for me to get through. I struggled with it until the middle of the book, then it started getting good.

This book is about Brandon who is a deaf/mute vampire, who doesn't want to be a vampire and doesn,t want to kill anyone. So he runs away from the farm where all the other vamps live. The heroine is Angelina(Lina) is a African American police officer that is also the sister of Brandon's former tutor.Then the story escalates from there.
Brandy
I thought this book was just OK. I don't normally go for the "paranormal romance" reads on a regular basis, but figured I'd check this one out since I did read and LOVE the Twilight series and had recently read (based on a recommendation) Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Dark Thirst just didn't pull me in like Twilight or even Shiver did. Dark Thirst wasn’t a horrible read; just not interesting enough to entice me into checking out the rest of the series.
Katie Benedict
This book was poorly written and edited, and the plot was entirely predictable from the first page. None of the characters evolved to anything beyond cardboard cutouts. I finished the book, hoping to be surprized somewhere along the line, but I never was.

The romance wasn't even that compelling. The "action" was painfully wrought onto the page. I'd recommend looking elsewhere for your fix of paranormal romance.
Cinda
The beginning was hard going and whoever edited this book needs to get their eyes checked. That being said I liked it. My biggest problem is it's not a standalone book, the author should have given this book an ending that would have made me happy if I didn't read the second book in the series.
  • Carinian's Seeker (Vampire Council of Ethics, #1)
  • The Alpha Promise
  • Adrienne (A Bron Universe Novel #1)
  • Ebony Eyes
  • A Kiss of Ashen Twilight (Ashen Twilight #1)
  • A Whisper to a Scream
  • Fallen (Dark God Saga, #1)
  • Connelly's Flame (The Megalodon Team, #3)
  • Scar (Pack Rulez, #1)
  • The Real Thing
  • Bond of Blood (Texas Vampires #1)
  • No Commitment Required
  • Georgie's Beau
  • Precious Things
  • The Color of Love
  • The Politics of Love
  • Choices
  • Burn

The Brethren (6 books)
  • Dark Hunger (The Brethren, #2)
  • Dark Passion (The Brethren, #3)
  • Dark Passages: Tristan & Karen
  • Dark Passages 2: Pilar & Elias
  • Dark Vengeance
Dark Hunger (The Brethren, #2) Resurrection Dark Passion (The Brethren, #3) Eye of the Storm (sequel to ''Resurrection'') Heart's Ransom