Start by marking “Confessioni di un codardo” as Want to Read:
Confessioni di un codardo

Confessioni di un codardo

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,380 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Due coniugi frustrati e squattrinati osservano il proprio fallimento in uno squallido alloggio; un patito dell'ippica trova la puntata vincente per una procace sconosciuta; un "duro" dei bassifondi liquida in un bar un magnaccia venuto a vendicare un torto fatto alle sue protette... Una raccolta di 12 racconti che ripropongono le situazioni più tipiche della narrativa di B ...more
Paperback, Narratori della Fenice, 137 pages
Published 2006 by Guanda (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Confessioni di un codardo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessioni di un codardo

James Curtin
i used to drink alot and smoke crack. once was hanging out with some young girl in west philly and she saw this book in my backpack. nef was her name i think. near 51st and master. i told her it wasn't a book of love poems. she wanted it anyway. i gave it to her and often think of crackheads in west philly reading this.
Shivering William
I liken reading a good Bukowski poem to getting hit in the mouth by your best friend.

It hurts.

You feel raw about it for a while.

But then you feel pretty good.

Because it's done.

Things are out in the open.

And you survived.
Ed Smith
a fellow worker at the library read it. So I started to read it and
got addicted to Bukowski's poems. Some are funny, some suck, and
you could not make up the race track, drinks, women and crazy men
who fight with Buk.

I think his style is his style. Not Williams or Ginsberg but definitely Charles Bukowski writing becomes infecting. After I read him I want to
write a million poems. He gets to the point, rough & ready to do
battle with the poetry gods and he does.
Paul
If you've read any Bukowski before you'll know the story of his life, lived out in all his writings, from drunken, gambling, addled, street fighter in and out of jail, in and out of bed with various women to drunken, addled, middle age where the eventual success of his writing bought him a less hand-to-mouth existence, but essentially his passions remained the same. This 400 page book of poetry and short stories was published post-humously but doesn't at all feel like is the leftovers being chur ...more
Davis
Jun 06, 2009 Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of poetry, anyone who liked the beats, anyone wanting to get into Bukowski
Recommended to Davis by: Brandon Daley
Wow. I am writing this about 30 seconds after finishing the last poem on the last page of 'Betting On The Muse'. I had no idea that a book published after his death, composed of random unpublished poetry and short stories could be so powerful. This book is truly moving, it grasped me from the very start.

Fans of Bukowski novels will rejoice in the short story involving our favorite drunkard, Chinaski. Many of the other stories and poems come more from Bukowski's alter-ego then himself. The book a
Belinda
This Bukowski is a mix of short (very short) stories and poems--reading them I would assume a mix of older material and material from shortly from before Hank passed away. The poems he writes on his Mac are so quaint--as if he is talking to the machine as well as using it--reveling in it's "trash can" and it's newness when compared to his oldness. He writes often about the track (adding that odd poetic quality to something filthy and very unpoetic) and often writes of his "6 cats" (this charms m ...more
Tom Steele
This is the first collection of both poetry and short stories that I've read by Bukowski and probably one of his more consistent works. The short stories are all amusing and the poetry is pretty good as well. There is a lot of fluctuation with the quality of the poems, however, with some of them being examples of his best work and some being forgettable to outright bad.

The end of this collection features Bukowski's meditations on his inevitable death. This section alone makes the collection w
Philip Bergstresser
The illusion is that you are simply
Reading this poem
The reality is that this is
More than a
Poem.
This is a beggar's knife.
This is a tulip.
This is a soldier marching
Through Madrid.
This is you on your
Death bed.
This is Li Po laughing
Underground.
This is not a god-damned
Poem.
This is a horse asleep.
A butterfly in
Your brain.
This is the devil's
Circus.
You are not reading this
On a page.
Circling the room

This is not a poem.
Poems are dull.
Waylon
I freely admit that poetry in general has never appealed to me as much as it does many other avid readers. There are some poems I've come across over the years that I truly love, but I just don't get in the "poetry mood" very often. I decided to give a Bukowski collection a shot because he has been so often recommended to me, and I am glad I did. Bukowski has a straight-to-the-point, no-bullshit style that appeals to me. There isn't the slightest hint of pretension. Some of these poems are prett ...more
Ben
During his prolific career Bukowski made a name for himself as both a writer of prose and poetry, and the pieces collected here, numbering more than one hundred contain a number of his bare bone short stories, and seemingly improvised poetry. The subject matter ranges from things happening in sports halls, and dangerous situations in night’s enfold, as well as looking at what it means to be a writer.

The Girls We Followed Home reminisces about the girls that he used to know, whilst being surround
Evan
Excellent collection focusing more on old age and death. Not as much of the hilariously vulgar stuff like in LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL. there are some GREAT poems in here. A good book to start with if new to Bukowski, though maybe not the BEST one to start with since it packs more of a punch to read about Bukowski's ideas of death after reading HAM ON RYE and some of the poetry from the 60s.
Jess
I love Bukowski, because sometimes, though rarely, when you're up to your eyeballs in misery, hopelessness, and the horse shit of life, he'll reveal suddenly a glimmer, a short line of poetry of something he finds beautiful in the world. However, this collection had a few that turned my stomach and turned me away from Bukowski for a week or so.
Mark Bruce
Jul 02, 2007 Mark Bruce rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Bukowski liked to write a lot about going to the racetrack. Many of these poems carry the tediousness of a daily jaunt to the track; some are incandescent.

Of course, there's the usual mix of other subjects dear to Buk's heart: Sex, booze, poetry, and more booze. Only Buk could make the dull life of a drunkard seem romantic.
Real Supergirl
Not his best volume, and there a a lot to choose from. I recommend Love is a Dog from Hell as part of anyone's collection of poetry. This one, however, is decent. It has a couple of Bukowski's excellent, witty, and insightful poems.
Brian Pappas
One of his better books of poetry with a few great short stories thrown in.
Justin Sims
Jan 04, 2008 Justin Sims rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drunkards and poets alike
drunk genius.
Socialbookshelves.com
Betting on the Muse sees Charles Bukowski return from the dead with a collection of poems and stories which he left behind to be published after his death – it’s good to know that the great writer planned ahead and left instructions about what was to be done with his work after his inevitable demise. In many ways, it’s a miracle that he lived as long as he did, what with the booze and the women and the horses.

Bukowski is famed for his unique voice and for his alcoholic lifestyle, and both of the
Adam
"Nothing can save you except writing."

Those words, which I turned to randomly in Barnes & Noble while trying to decide which of Bukowski's works would serve as my introduction to his poetry collections, are the reason I purchased "Betting on the Muse."

By now, everything Bukowski even thought about writing has been published, and this being my first prolonged look at his poetry, I can't say whether the book is typical of Bukowski's collections. But the structure appealed to me, moving from ch
Lazyproduction
Amavo Charles Bukowski. Mi ha piacevolmente tenuto compagnia per tutta la mia adolescenza. Da più di vent'anni non prendevo in mano un suo libro avendo ormai letto ogni scritto in circolazione e da altrettanto tempo non prestavo attenzione alle eventuali nuove pubblicazioni. Nell'ultimo anno la mia vita ha preso davvero una strana piega e sono stato costretto a rimettere in ordine tutte le mie certezze. Tra revisioni e consolidamenti ho scoperto di avere una vera avversione per le dinamiche soci ...more
Giang
This book is poisonous. Once you pick it up you'll enter another world. Once you finish reading a poem you'll feel a sharp pain smack in the middle of your heart and you'll realise you're stranded in a infinite abyss of loneliness. It's dark. It's sad. It's beautiful.
Mich Koz
There are few good poems there I do not want to forget about. Especially the opening poem of the book (god forgive me for not remembering the name) and than the one called "Defining the magic" (I guess?). However, is it worth to read remaining 400 pages? I think yes.
Niina
For the second time I run into a collection from one of my favourite authors that suits my tastes almost through the book!
Bukowski uses some really well done language here, both his illness and old age are showing and no doubt giving him more to write about than in his younger days, more time and writing behind him to get the texts so ripe it can be felt on the first shallow cut, touch, taste. Betting on the Muse left a funny feeling after I come to the end of it, a mixture of bitterness and ho
Femmefatale
I know why some readers love Bukowski but I understand even those who hate him. He might appear as a depressing type with no hope left for his characters but the truth is that he just imitates life. Or is it life that imitates Bukowski?
Brock T.I. Penner
I wanted to expose myself to different types of writing, so I picked up this book because I heard my friends rave about Bukowski. What it comes down to is if you buy into the cult of personality. I didn't so much. I found his poems started to blend into one another because they tend to be about the same topics: drinking, hard times, and his dad. I was also shocked to have him mention AIDS and remote controls, so I checked the copyright. It said 1996, but it mostly seems to be written in the '50s ...more
Silvija Čižaitė-rudokienė
Stephen Lindow
So what? I think if I'd read Bukowski in high school I would've dug it(same for 'Catcher in the Rye'). Out of 400 pgs. I found only two poems in 'Betting' that I felt were merely interesting. I don't understand why some people(hipsters, neo-hipsters, poetasters) think his writing is great when there is William Saroyan, et al.
Laura Cruz
It's just one of those books that make you wonder why is it that cought your interest, then reallize that this man is a freking genious! I love this man... tho he does have better books.
Daniela
Na Bukowského je potřeba mít náladu. Když ji nemáte, jeho texty se zdají být tím nejpitomějším škvárem pod sluncem, a když ji máte, tak v tom povalečském plácání můžete spatřit smysl života. Každopádně Bukowského poslední básně, básně umírajícího člověka, jsou neskutečné. Výpary ethanolu lehce prodchnuté mystikou, posmrtným životem a tak.
Klara
I don't always fancy poetry as it's sometimes difficult to understand, what did the author want to say. But when I read this book, I just couldn't stop reading more and more. It was a bit harsh and not really polite, but it was pretty clear what Bukowski wanted to say and i would recommend it to anyone...over 15.
  • The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry
  • Gasoline & The Vestal Lady on Brattle
  • The Scripture of the Golden Eternity
  • The Selected Poems
  • Verses That Hurt: Pleasure and Pain from the POEMFONE Poets
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...
Post Office Ham on Rye Women Factotum Love is a Dog from Hell

“The Laughing Heart

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.”
432 likes
“a good book
can make an almost
impossible
existence,
liveable

( from 'the luck of the word' )”
91 likes