Start by marking “How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet” as Want to Read:
How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet

How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,607 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Since it was first published in 1999, How It All Vegan! has become a bible for vegan cooks, both diehard and newly converted; its basic introduction to the tenets of vegan living and eating, combined with Sarah and Tanya's winning charm, made it an essential cookbook for anyone considering eschewing animal products from their diet. It won VegNews' Veggie Award for Best Coo ...more
ebook, 10th Anniversary Edition, 240 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How It All Vegan!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How It All Vegan!

Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegans, vegetarians, those who love cookbooks
This is a good book for beginning or long term vegans. Unfortunately, at first didn’t see the bee products which aren’t vegan, but I do have it on my vegan shelf anyway because it’s such a unique and fun read (one of those many cookbooks I can happily read from cover to cover), and the recipes are easy to prepare and not intimidating for beginner vegans & vegetarians. I must say also that even if you are not a vegan/vegetarian, I’d still recommend this book. It’s written by 2 Canadian women ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
This was the first vegan cookbook I purchased and it taught me a lot about vegan cooking techniques. It also taught me how to "veganize" some of my favorite baking goods with healthier alternatives. We are not vegan but I do my best to sneak in vegan meals whenever I can.

I've tried many of the recipes and our hands-down favorite that I make every week are the chocolate peanut butter cups on page 134. These things are a gourmet delight and are so easy to make. Find yourself some healthy organic
Joanna
Sep 23, 2007 Joanna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegans, vegetarians, health-concious cooks
Shelves: keepers
This book is filled with a lot of great vegan recipes that sound, for the most part, very easy to prepare. It's written in a very informal, fun style. As you can tell from the looks of the two girls on the cover, it's not pretentious. It's not preachy either, since people become vegetarian or vegan for all different reasons. Of course, you don't have to be a veghead to get something out of this book.

In addition to the recipes, there's some good info on substitutes you can use in any recipe for m
Anne-Marie
I am really loving this cook book. The recipes seem more simple than the ones in Veganomicon. I've made eggless egg salad twice and last night I made some maple nut brownies (sans the nuts). Both of these only have a few ingredients and I can make them super fast AND they turned out delicious. So delicious that I ate the entire pan of maple nutless brownies in about 10 hours.

There are also recipes for cleaning and beauty products.

I've never checked a cook book out of the library before but I'm s
Bucket
okay, so this is a cookbook. mostly i'm reviewing it here to remind myself not to go through the effort of hunting it down once again only to realize that--just kidding!--i've already read this lame cookbook a thousand times. this is a vegan cookbook for people who aren't vegans and/or don't know how to cook. i don't need another recipe for stir fry (OH MY GOD!!!), grain burgers, vegan muffins, smoothies, or zucchini bread. f'real. this cookbook is fucking boring.
Marley
I haven't tried everything but it all looks edible and easy to make. The cookies are great for your lactose-intolerant friends and what the recipes lack in explicit instructions they make up for in enthusiasm and gusto.

there are instructions in the back for making your own toothpaste, skin cleansers, and a list of 40 things you can do with vinegar. Great resource when cooking for a crowd with many allergies, sensitivities, etc.
Nikki
Jan 23, 2012 Nikki rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegan Newbies
January 2-3, 2012

I was hoping for more inspiration from this cookbook than I received. I generally do not follow recipes (unless they are baked goods) so I prefer to be inspired by recipes rather than following each and every ingredient. However, this book is geared more towards vegan newbies than an ol' pro like myself. The soups in the book seem to offer the best bet when it comes to the book (I am generally a good judge of whether a recipe will be good). I bookmarked some of the soups but lar
Kim V
Have you or you loved one’s been affected by the “Thanksgiving Day Dilemma?” By tradition Thanksgiving is a meat-centered day. However, while most Americans celebrate the holiday many hosts or guests, do not eat meat. Hence, millions of hosts or guests are experiencing the Thanksgiving Day Dilemma of what to serve, or bring, to accommodate all palates.

Coming to the rescue of vegan challenged cooks everywhere is How it all Vegan the 10th anniversary edition by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. How
Maria
I was more than a little excited to receive a review copy of the classic vegan cookbook “How It All Vegan!” by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. It had always sat in the back of my mind as one of those books I should have on my kitchen shelf. The book was first published in 1999, when, frankly, it was exciting enough to find even one vegan book in a regular bookstore. After trying it out I can see why this title is still around even with the myriad of new offerings available in stores.

The book im
Marcus K
I'm not quite sure why people like this cookbook so much. Granted I'm not a vegan anymore, but I never much liked the recipes in here. I used to think people only liked this one cause of the hip young folks on the cover, but I should probably give my friends more credit than that. As far as vegan friendly cookbooks go, I'm more a fan of classics like the Moosewood Cookbook. And, if you want the cookbook author to be someone young and hip, I'd recommend the lovely and talented Isa Chandra Moskowi ...more
Catherine  Mustread
Disappointing, although I should have been able to tell from the title (and other reviews) that this is a book aimed at beginning vegans and is full of why/how I became a vegan as well as sections on vegan lifestyle. I had hoped to find at least three new recipes that would tempt me to cook but found zero. Biggest problems for me was the apparent need for a blender and many of the entrees contained what I would consider large amounts of vegan cheese. Not that I don't eat vegan cheese, but 1-2 cu ...more
Winonah
This is the perfect book for someone looking for substitutions for the prepared foods you grow up with. Whether you're vegan or just needing to remove an animal ingredient from your diet, this book has creative solutions for anything. A few other books I tried could give incredible, even gourmet recipies, but that's not what I needed. I was starting from no skill in the kitchen and a new set of dietary restrictions. Their style and enthusiasm makes it fun to read. This is the next best thing to ...more
Susanne
Are you ever finished with a cookbook? I've read it and marked a lot of recipes to try and I'll post back when I tried them. Love the "How It All"-part and a lot of basic information like how to do your own of a lot yummy things.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Paul
A good alround cookbook which not only covers most of the bases as far as food goes - from savoury to sweet and sauces to boot - but one that also has a significant sector on recipes for homemade household things too like cleaners, dandruff shampoo, skin creams etc.
Easy to follow with generally easily obtainable ingredients.
Juliet Jeske
Not my favorite cookbook. I think it just comes down to the fact I don't share the same taste preferences as the authors. I find some of these recipes to be oddly spiced. And some are just a bit too extreme for my taste. But to each his own, as another friend of mine loves the cookbook. He has made nearly everything in it. The cookbook is well laid out and the illustrations are great, as are the instructions. I prefer food that tastes as close to mainstream cuisine but just happens to be vegetar ...more
Stephanie
Oct 28, 2007 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegans, everybody who likes traditional American cooking
Shelves: cookbooks
This was my second vegan cookbook and I have to say it took me ages to try any of the recipes.

The recipes call a lot for special vegan foods which are neither healthy nor available everywhere and rely heavily on tofu.

Most of the recipes I tried turned out pretty bland for my tastbuds, others I don't bother to make because they are not even real "recipes", but things everybody knows to do unless you're a complete beginner in the kitchen (eg how many recipes for vegetable soup does one cookbook n
This would make a nice gift for someone who is young and just starting out vegan and doesn't have a clue how to cook. There are plenty of desserts in here so if that's your thing be sure and check this one out.
When I was in college (1999-2003, to get you in the mood of the era) and living in a vegan/veggie/macro (depended on the month) co-op, this book was a LIFELINE. Perfect basic recipes for making lots of food for a group of people with varied nutritional needs/demands, and a good intro to substitutions (for eggs, etc). However, I can't say it has aged well. When I looked back at HIAV (and the sequels) now, they seem so carb heavy, and somehow nostalgic of an earlier day of vegan living. Still some ...more
Morgan
The only issue with this book, is that the author/editor/publishing company decided/forgot/did not bother to include an index! It is intensely annoying to have to flip and read through every page looking for something. I often choose other cookbooks for the simple reason that this one does not have an index.

Of the recipes I have tried, they are good.

The reason I bought the book is that, while my family and I consume meat/animal products, we never seem to have anything available for cooking or b
J
The later books are better (there are a few dud recipes in this one) but this is a good place to start. The Asian Creation and the Shepherd's Pie are definitely always on my standby list. Most of the recipes are easy, fast, and don't call for extravagant ingredients. The only consistent problem I had is that without halving the ingredients for any of the pie recipes, I ended up with tons of extra pie filling, perhaps enough to make a second pie. At any rate, this was the first vegan cookbook I g ...more
Grace Dadoyan
Good for a beginner vegan but not so much for an experienced cook.
Jen
I thought this cookbook had some interesting recipes. The information is very helpful to new vegans. However, it is not what I would call healthy eating. There's better books for that. The photos of the retro 1950's people are really cute, and the writing style makes the book easily accessible. I adapted a few of the recipes when I made them for my husband, making them oil-free. I can't make much of the stuff in here as is for myself since I have trouble with gluten and soy. The authors don't re ...more
Stephanie
This book, like its sequel, really was enlightening to me. It doesn't concentrate on how to make tofu or soy ten thousand ways, like how some vegan cookbooks read to me, a non-vegan. I found numerous recipes that are already dishes I make fairly regularly but with some different spice or ingredient twists to consider. I like how easy and reader-friendly all the recipes are. This book was borrowed from my local library but having read it, I desire to add it to my cookbook collection now.
Julie
All the recipes I've tried have been a hit! The savory shepherd's pie and curried veggies are my favorite. Unfortunately a lot of the recipes are soy based, which I try to avoid, so I stick to ones that can easily use soy replacements or I just won't make that recipe. They've got a good list of substitutes, like ground flax for eggs etc. A good portion of the main meal recipes are also gluten-free. I've found it to be be a great resource for our mutliple allergy household.
I've had this since about 2000 when I found I was sensitive to dairy and eggs. This is a practical book with great recipes! I've prety much read it from cover to cover and have used recipes from it many many times over the years. I find this first book much better than the second book, The Garden of Vegan.
I must admit I have used this as a Vegan-Plus-Meat cookbook (adding the occasional meat or fish to one of their recipes) as this has worked best for my body's needs.
Ali
Basic vegan cookbook with kitschy appeal, a great starting point. There was nothing new where recipes are concerned but the book was visually appealing. There is a section that offers suggestions of vegan cuisine for children and another that includes some beauty product recipes, which you can find elsewhere, though the one book format is certainly a space saver. I'll read more by these two authors to see what recipes they come up with later in their vegan journey.
Steve
This was the first solid vegetarian cookbook I used extensively. The receipies are very useful for beginner cooks who need inspiration go-to vegetarian meals. I did find that there's an extensive use of soy based products, which I began using less and less as I grew more comfortable with whole vegetables. The follow up cookbooks weren't as good as this original, my copy has fallen apart by now, put to great use over the years.
Alex
Lured me in with its retro-hipster graphics, but it greatly disappointed with a pathetic index (a great sesame noodle recipe isn't even listed under 'noodles'?) and frustratingly vague ingredient list, at least for this admitted food snob (1 tbsp. oil? um, does it even matter what kind?). Useful for inspiration and I do like the 'recipes' for eco cleaning and beauty products, but take the food recipes with a large grain of salt.
Lily
DIY Vegan introduction for anyone making the switch to veganism. This guide is amazing with all the different recipe it supplies besides food, lotions, house cleaning products, hair products, tooth pastes, a long list of non animal ingredients. Its a must have for any DIY household and an excellent read. Although I did find some of the recipes were a little dry so I did alter them a bit but besides that amazing book.
  • La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Vegan Express
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!