Start by marking “Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)” as Want to Read:
Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)

Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Stories #10.4)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  3,424 ratings  ·  179 reviews
The first rule of a supernatural fight club? Don't kill your opponent.

When the fighters come with lethal spells, werewolf strength, and half-demon powers, that can be a lot tougher than it sounds. It's hard to attract talent if they know they might not leave the ring alive. So when fighters at a California club start dying, it's bad for business.

Witch detectives Paige Wi
Audio CD, MP3 - Unabridged CD
Published December 2nd 2010 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Counterfeit Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counterfeit Magic

Tatiana
Paige's books are not favorites of mine and I dislike the narrator of her audiobooks in a major way. The Paige/Lucas pairing never worked for me romance-wise. It is just so infinitely dull! In this novella their relationship has a particularly rinse-and-repeat quality to it. Whenever I got to some vague allusion to the fab schmexy times these two apparently have behind the closed doors, I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes. How many times should this be repeated? Please, show, don't tell! ...more
Samantha
Counterfeit Magic takes place right before Waking the Witch and is told from Paige Winterbourne's perspective. In this novella, Paige and company are hired to investigate a death in one of the supernatural fight clubs. I really loved this one, even though it ends a little abruptly. What really drew me in was seeing the emotional struggle Paige and Lucas were facing as he steps firmly into his role of heir to the Cortez Cabal. I would highly recommend this to fans of the series.
Danya
Frankie
I first ordered this off Amazon but of course the book was limited edition like most of her novellas now and I was unable to get it. However I have managed to get it in audio book form, which is new for me. It took me a while to get passed the annoying voice reading it to me.

I found Paige’s character felt very different to what I’ve read in books, her character seemed more picky of people and less forgiving. Normally she’s very nice even to cruel people. Her relationship with Lucas also didn’t
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
This is a mostly Lucas and Paige novella w/ some Savannah (who for a portion of this goes by "Georgia" lolz), and a dash of Adam.

1. Lucas and Paige are not my favorite. No reason that I can point at with my finger--they just aren't.

2. Sometimes I think I'm fooling myself when I think that I only have a couple of major book turns offs: child victims, rape, cheating . . . those (I thought) were the big ones. If any of those three things happen in book, chances are it's going a get a BIG thumbs dow
chucklesthescot
Paige and Lucas have had relationship issues since Lucas started working with the Cabal, whose members ignore Paige. Now Paige is feeling jealous as Lucas has to work with an attractive young client who is obviously trying to seduce him. Savannah goes undercover at a supernatural fight club to find out what happened to the woman's brother.

I prefer stories about the wolf pack but this was a decent story focusing on Paige, Lucas, Adam and Savannah. I'm not a Savannah fan because I find her to be a
Mel
Bitten was the first ever Urban Fantasy book I ever read and still one of my favourites. So I get very excited whenever a new Otherworld book is released – and disappointed when I can’t get my hands on them straight away. Counterfeit Magic isn’t a full novel, but a novella that was originally a limited edition release complete with beautiful art work. I wasn’t able to get my hands on a copy, but a couple of years later and the magic of e-books means I can finally read this story, set shortly bef ...more
Kelly
Oh, guys. Before I even attempt to do justice to Kelley Armstrong's gorgeous world I need to talk about how very, very pretty this book is. I sprung for the signed, limited edition hardcover of this little beauty and I am so incredibly impressed by it. The interior artwork is gorgeous, the paper is heavyweight and it feels downright decadent against my fingers. If I could date a book, I'd date this one. It's just that pretty. *swoon* I totally get why people COMMIT CRIMES against other people ov ...more
Caroline
This is a short novel that comes late in a 'series' so it's probably not a good place to start. But I'd heard good things about Kelley Armstrong, and was feeling like a short audiobook, so I picked it up on a whim from the library. It's not anything earth-shattering, but it scratches a nice itch, because it's a fantasy story set (mostly) in the real world that is about grownups living their grownup lives. Instead of a coming-of-age story about the epic battle of good and evil, or a romance about ...more
Robin
It's hard not to like this book. The witchy/cabal contingent are some of my favorite characters in the Armstrong-verse, and this focused on them. It seemed the shorter format kept everything moving along too, no dead air. No side trips. No distractions. I wanted more, which is a great thing to say at the end of a novella. I would give this five stars except......well, it was a little unbelievable. I mean, really? I loved the resolution, though, I really did. Served him right. But, you know, I ju ...more

I love the Women of the Otherworld series and have wanted to read this novella since it first came out. So after getting a kindle this week Counterfeit Magic was my first ebook purchase.

I really enjoy Savannah and Paige so it was great to get to read another story featuring them. I will be so sad when the last book 13 comes out.

Counterfeit Magic has Paige and Savannah go undercover in a supernatural fight club. We get some of Adam and Lucas too!

I love this series. So I enjoyed the novella. It's
Ian Wood

Andrew Riley
This is another limited edition short story published through Subterranean Press. The book itself is beautiful, a really nice hardback (I've got the trade edition). The artwork within the book is a bit hit and miss. A few of them are nice, but several have such a style difference between the background and the figures that the people almost look like later additions to a separate piece of art.

In terms of the story, the whole book (all 141 page of it) is narrated by Paige. We pick up the thread o
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Please note: this is a novella set in the Women of the Otherworld universe. Keeping this mind, I very much enjoyed this short foray into Paige and Lucas's business life. However, as it is in any world, things are not as as simple as they seem on the surface. With just a short 141 pages, Ms. Armstrong has you in her grasp. I read this book in one sitting and if you are a true fan of the series, please find a copy to buy or borrow and lose yourself in it's pages!
Kristen
This was a novella, but it's by one of my favourite authors, and includes characters she's written about in many books, and that I really love. It was a fast, easy read and it was entertaining.

If you've read any of the Women of the Otherworld books by Kelley Armstrong, then you'll be familiar with the characters in this shorter story. If you haven't, and you like paranormal fiction, you should go find all of them and read them - they're great!

This time out, we go along with Paige, Lucas and Sava
Katie
Partially, this has just never been my favorite subsection of this world and partially it rested on a plot I don't like much. (view spoiler) I also didn't totally follow the larger plot.

BUT. Mostly, I read this because I needed to read writing that just flowed for me and Kelley Armstrong's does that.
Annlu
To enjoy this book you have to know the Otherworld series – so that you know the main characters and their stories. It`s a story about Paige, Lucas, Savannah and Adam. The main story is a case about supernatural fight clubs witch Paige and Savannah are investigating – but the more interesting story is that about Paige`s and Lucas` relationship.

I love Paige – she is one of my favourite characters of the series. To see how the formally new relationship of the two changed over the years was nice.
Robin
A woman approaches Paige and Lucas asking for help in solving her brother's death. Ava said she took her brother, Jared, to a fightclub to win money to pay off his debts. His body was found a month later. She believes he was killed at the fightclub and wants to discover the truth. Lucas looks into Jared's debts while Paige and Savannah investigate the club. They soon discover that there has been a string of deaths at the club. Are the owners killing the fighters or is someone else behind the "ac ...more
Melanie
I really like this story, but then I have not read a book or short story in the Women of the Otherworld series that I haven't liked (though stories with Clay are my favorite). This story really makes me want to read Spell Bound.
Donna
This was a short novella, and took me a couple of sessions to read. It features Lucas, Paige & Savannah in one of their investigations into supernatural goings-on. Can't really say much more about it, but if you are a Kelley Armstrong fan you will enjoy it.
David Helms
Counterfeit Magic by Kelley Armstrong and Maurizio Manzieri (Dec 31, 2010)

This is a great addition to Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series. It centers around a fight club. With fighters coming to the ring with werewolf strength and half demon powers it's no wonder that lethal spells would be cast. Cortez-Winterbourne Investigations take the case and Savannah Levine has got to go under cover in a supernatural power-heavy fighter's club kicking ass and casting spells.

Paige is still handling Caba
Rachel
This was a short, fun romp of a story. I liked seeing Paige and Lucas again. I thought that Paige's narrative voice was fantastic; it genuinely felt like she had aged several years and reflected her maturation without altering her character. I enjoyed the mystery aspect, but I also felt like the ending was a bit too abrupt. I actually tried to swipe past the last page on my Kindle because I thought there was one more chapter or an epilogue!

If you enjoy the Women of the Otherworld series, give th
Carrie
What a roller coaster ride! This novella had all the twists and turns of a typical Paige/Lucas book and had me rushing to figure out the mystery.

This story dives deep into Lucas and Paige's relationship. We haven't checked in with them in a while, and a lot has changed. Savannah is more involved in the business and trying to find her way in the world. Lucas is taking more responsibility in the Cabal. Paige is... well, she's struggling. She tries to be Lucas's equal in the Cabal and that's not wo
Marsha
When I first picked up Counterfeit Magic I did not realize it was a graphic novel. Had I known, I probably would not have purchased it. In the past, my experiences with graphic novels has been that they are a little too light on storyline and heavy on illustrations. In this case, as much as I enjoy Kelly Armstrong, this book would have been better suited as a novella. It was light on storyline and illustrations.

Paige Winterbourne and her husband,Lucas Cortez run a private investigation agency. T
Melindeeloo
Even though I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld series, I passed on Counterfeit Magic when it first came out in hardback, since I thought it was on the expensive side for a novella. So, I was delighted to find this as a much more reasonably priced ebook. There are some illustrations, about 6 to 8, but Counterfeit Magic is not a graphic novel.

I really enjoyed seeing more of Paige and Savannah, along with a bit of Lucas and Adam, when the Cortez-Winterbourne agency takes
Jen (Red Hot Books)
“Counterfeit Magic” is the latest installment in Kelley Armstrong’s fabulous Otherworld series. It’s not a full length novel, but a limited release novella. The narrator in this installment is Paige, an independent and optimistic witch, who runs an PI agency with her sorcerer husband, Lucas. It’s great to have a Lucas and Paige story. We’ve seen the evolution of their nine year relationship since the very beginning, with Dime Store Magic. And I’ve always rooted for them.

Anyway, the story begins
Scratch
As an avid Otherworld fan, and one whom has listened to the majority of the books as Audiobooks, doing so for this limited edition novella was no big deal. In fact, with the very first disk I found myself near tears with nostalgia, as Ms. Merlington's voice sounded exactly the same as it did way back when I was listening to Industrial Magic, featuring the same characters. In fact, that was a bit of a problem-- she did the same little kid voice for Savannah at 21 that she did for Savannah at 12. ...more
Kt
This book was sold more as a collector's piece rather than as a book in itself, as the page count would be very low. The previous installment that Subterranean Press released, Angelic, cannot be found for less than $150 for the trade edition and well over $300 for the limited. So, when I saw that another one would be coming out, I had to snatch a copy of both versions before they sold out. That being said, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot on the story end as I bought it for the collecting a ...more
Jessica
While at the library I wandered the shelves and couldn't decide on anything. I was in one of those strange moods where I didn't know what I wanted to read, didn't want to commit to something just so-so but wanted to get into something good. Fast was also something I wanted since it's the holiday season and I have less time to read with all the family visiting and such. When I saw this little novella I grabbed it. I've never read Armstrong before and thought this would be a good way to see if she ...more
Where can I get a copy? 2 7 Sep 13, 2012 07:05PM
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5; Otherworld Stories, #5.2)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • The Bitten Word
  • We Both Go Down Together (Incryptid, #0.09)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Arcane Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #4)
  • The Gauntlet (Cassandra Palmer #0.5)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Otherworld Stories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories)
  • Tales of the Otherworld
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets: An Anthology
  • Imaginarium 2012: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing
  • Imaginarium 2012: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing (Imaginarium: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing)
  • Vanishing Act
  • Expiration Date
  • Shards and Ashes
  • The Bitten Word
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“Maybe I'm being selfish, but I choose you." He leaned over, lips brushing mine as he whispered, "I always choose you.” 7 likes