Start by marking “Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)” as Want to Read:
Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)

Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell #9)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  3,071 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
In New York Times bestselling author Alex Kava’s new thriller, Special Agent Maggie O’Dell investigates the death of three teenagers, only to find herself in the middle of a conspiracy involving biological warfare.

On a crisp fall evening in western Nebraska, what started as a group of kids filming their drug-fueled party ends in an explosive light show, leaving the victim
Published July 12th 2011 by Doubleday (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hotwire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotwire

Alex is The Romance Fox
In Hotwire, the latest and 9th instalment of Alex Kava's Maggie O'Dell's Series starts off with two puzzling but interesting cases that I thought were linked.....a teen party gone wrong in Nebraska and an outbreak of food poisoning in 2 schools. Sorry to say.....but they are not at all....in the end I wondered what the reason was for the two plots!!! The food poisoning plot felt pointless to me........

The story is well paced and there are some intriguing parts but in the end, we are again left d
Jonetta
Maggie O'Dell takes a side trip from her conference in Denver to Nebraska where she's looking into some strange cattle deaths. Unfortunately, she stumbles into something much bigger and more sinister. Meanwhile, Benjamin Platte is called to assist the CDC's head of special responses when two schools are suddenly in the midst of a deadly outbreak.

As usual, the story begins with two puzzling but interesting cases that feel as if they will converge at some point but don't. Unfortunately, it's also
Phrynne
Sep 09, 2016 Phrynne rated it liked it
Hooray for another reasonably good book in this sometimes lacklustre series. Again Maggie is holding her own in the action stakes and not spending too much time mentally analysing her not very exciting personal life. (Ben Platt needs to get out of there right now. I am sure he could do better).
I am not a fan of the two stories running parallel technique especially when the author never bothers to tie them together properly at the end, but the book was compact, full of action and compelling. You
Robin
Sep 17, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2016
FBI Profiler Maggie O'Dell is sent to Nebraska to look into cattle mutilations. But when she arrives she is pulled into the investigation of a teenage drug party. Several of the teens are in shock, two are dead. On the other side of the country, Colonel Benjamin Platt is looking into the sudden illness of several school children. Is it food poisoning? The stomach flu? When another group of school children suddenly become ill, Ben must find what is causing an illness that may be fatal.

Alex Kava h
Cameluta
Jun 30, 2011 Cameluta rated it liked it
RATING: 3.5 stars (this is a clear 3.5 stars and it took me a while to decide if I want to round it up or down).

***I was lucky to win a copy of this book through the GoodReads Advance program.***

Overall, I enjoyed the book, which has an interesting storyline; actually there are two main plots. In Nebraska, during a drug party in the woods, two teenagers were electrocuted and others were injured. FBI agent Maggie O'Dell has happened to be in the area investigating a strange case of cattle mutilat
Tanya Eby
May 04, 2011 Tanya Eby rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-m-the-narrator
I narrated this book. I won't review or give anything away...but I think I can say that it was a whole lot of fun to perform this one. Great characters return and there are two parallel story lines that end in an interesting way. If you haven't checked out the Maggie O'Dell series...add it to your shelves!
Elvan
Jan 13, 2014 Elvan rated it liked it
I've got mixed feelings about this novel. On one hand, Kava weaves a pretty complex tale of teen parties gone very wrong in Nebraska..is it aliens or government cover up? Maggie O'Dell is sent there to find out. Meanwhile, food poisoning in a school keeps Benjamin Platt on the east coast trying to determine how a mutating bacteria got into the school food supply. Government coverup or my personal theory, vegan nation's first attempt to take over the world.

My beef ( heehee) with this book was tha
Lauren
Hotwire
3.5 Stars

As with most of the recent books in the Maggie O'Dell series, the basic premise is excellent but the execution is only so-so.

The writing is fast paced (not surprising given the relatively short chapters) and the story is compelling enough to keep you turning the pages. Nevertheless, the various plot threads, including the attack on the teenagers in the forest, the food contamination and the government conspiracy, are all treated rather superficially and end up being a bit of a m
Magpie67
Fantastic and yet I'm worried about sending my kids back to school to eat lunch. Alex has this way of taking real information and infusing such real fictional characters and storylines. Maggie's job is hard, dangerous at times and I can't help feeling like I'm between the pages living her life right beside her. I'm from Nebraska and so the references and locations are alive in my brain. I've been across the state from the East to the West in my travels to Colorado thus I can bring up the scenery ...more
Diane
Jul 22, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
What a better way to cover up murders than to blame it on the aliens - not really. This story takes place in Nebraska in the National Forest Park - will have to visit that area, sounds beautiful.

Good story line - food poisoning - and that is a terrible thing to have (went through that ugliness this past summer). From government cover ups to wrong cops - once again a good read, but also once again the book could have been another chapter longer, or maybe that's just me.

2 thumbs up and 4 stars ont
Darcy
I thought this one was a bit boring. There were 2 different mysteries, which I hoped would connect at some point, but didn't. Instead we had Maggie doing her thing and then her sort of boyfriend doing his thing. I thought the resolution on both story lines were a bit anti-climatic. The only good thing was that Maggie found a new companion in Jake.
Amy Siggelow
Jun 24, 2011 Amy Siggelow rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads.

I haven't had the pleasure of reading any of the other books in the Maggie O'Dell series, but I did enjoy reading this one!

This book reminded me of Patricia Cornwell's books with a female heroine. It encompasses two seemingly unconnected crimes, the first of which Maggie "stumbles" onto, while investigating cattle mutilation in the Nebraska forests. A group of kids were found, some injured, some dead, after a party they were having in a remote area. They had been e
Paula Brandon
Oct 23, 2016 Paula Brandon rated it did not like it
Titas (Emperor)
Oct 28, 2015 Titas (Emperor) rated it it was ok
Teenagers tripping while
hanging in the trees,
some die and some get hurt-
investigates Maggie.

Pretty average. Not so bad, not so good. It became so stalling at the second half that I started reading alternate chapters. But the characters and specially the protagonist Maggie are very well written. Otherwise it is a same old (view spoiler) type mystery novel.
Beth
Jun 21, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I JUST WON THIS ON FIRSTREADS GIVE AWAY! YAY!! I LOVE ALEX KAVA BOOKS! SO EXCITING :) WHOOO!I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS AND GIVE MY OPINION!

Omg! I finally got to this book and wow she does not disappoint me again! Very intense interesting, great story
Loved it!! Read this book if you love suspense!!!!
Terry
Jul 14, 2011 Terry rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to the next Maggie O'Dell story and this one just fell short of all the previous ones. I kept waiting for more to start happening and it just never did. Please please give us the old Maggie O'Dell exciting stories where we are holding our breath as we turn the pages; this was not a page turner by any means.
Wendy
Nov 27, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: jan-16
Great 9th book in the Maggie O'Dell series
Carole
Jan 25, 2012 Carole rated it really liked it
I will review this at a later time--it is one of a series whose main character is Maggie O'Dell an FBI profiler and you should pretty much read them in order--I have read most of them.
Shelley
Dec 03, 2010 Shelley rated it liked it
*Rating* 3.5
*Genre* Mystery and Suspense

**Review**

Alex Kava’s Hotwire is the ninth book in the Maggie O’Dell series. This time around, Kava splits her story into two main stories that may be linked; Maggie dealing with possible mutilated cows, while Colonel Benjamin Pratt has the responsibility of trying to figure out why students have come down with what appears to be salmonella poisoning and who is responsible.

FBI Special Agent Maggie O’Dell, who is a profiler by trade, has been told by her b
Angela
Nov 02, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
I love alex Kava and this book was no exception. I love the supernatural element in this book and how it starts the story. I could not put this book down. It was well written, great character in Maggie O'dell.
Boekenfans
Boeken geschonken door Harlequin.nl

RECENSIES

GESCHREVEN DOOR STEFANIE ROELS
Voor wie houdt van een relaxte thriller, het betere speurwerk raad ik zeker deze Alex Kavas aan. Begin wel met boek 1, de "zaken" zijn steeds nieuw, maar de personages evolueren ... Weinig echt op aan te merken dan dat ik het jammer vind dat O'Dell steeds weer in de moeilijkheden moet belanden haast. Mooie tussendoor, voor de zonnige dagen!

GESCHREVEN DOOR ILSE LEYS:
ik heb ook dit bo
Louise
Oct 21, 2011 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Story Description:

On a crisp fall evening in western Nebraska, what started as a group of kids filming their drug-induced party ends in an explosive light show, leaving the victims apparently electrocuted, with odd scorch marks being the only evidence. While Maggie tries to make sense of the different stories, sifting through what is real and what is hallucination, she realizes that the surviving teens are being targeted and systematically eliminated.

Meanwhile, on the East Coast, Army Colonel Be
Theresa Hurley
Mar 08, 2017 Theresa Hurley rated it it was amazing
Another great one! Really enjoyed this one with Maggie and Colonel Platt.
Lloyd Elliott
very good storyline and read. would highly recommend
Anna
Mar 03, 2017 Anna rated it liked it
Interesting center plot but the ending was a bit rushed (most likely due to two thirds of the book being used to set up the plot).
Kaye
Jul 05, 2011 Kaye rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-challenge

Agent Maggie O'Dell, F.B.I. profiler, has been sent to a conference in Colorado but has been called from it to investigate the case of mutilated cattle in Nebraska. Numerous cases have been found and all the cattle mutilated in exactly the same way. While on this case, she is also called in on the case of teens partying in the Nebraska National Forest. While tripping out on salvia, a group of teens reported flasing lights, seeing fireworks and the feeling of giant jolts of electricity. One of th
Cookie1
Mar 22, 2017 Cookie1 rated it really liked it
It is quite a while since I have read an Alex Kava book. I had forgotten that they are full of action. In this one Maggie O'Dell is sent to check out mutilated cattle but this is only the beginning. A pleasant read with lots of action.
Carole Tyrrell
Jul 25, 2011 Carole Tyrrell rated it it was ok
Wisteriouswoman
Mar 20, 2014 Wisteriouswoman rated it liked it
Hotwire had a great deal of potential. It just seemed that too many scenarios were not developed to their full potential. The teens were cardboard cutouts. I didn't feel anything for the ones that died. One teen should have gotten her comeuppants but we never see that happen. She is an evil bitch and I wanted to see her burn!

There were some fun characters that didn't get the limelight enough. I liked Stotter the UFO guy and talk show host. The whole area 51 cover-up is alluded to but never goes
Vivian
Jun 21, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre murders, cattle mutilations, and government conspiracies and suspected coverups are at the forefront of HOTWIRE, the ninth title in the Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava. Maggie, an FBI agent, is still recuperating from her last assignment and has been sent to Colorado to lecture at a law enforcement seminar. She is "asked" to look into some cattle mutilations in Nebraska and the story takes off.

Maggie doesn't just get to see some strange cattle mutilations, but soon spearheads an invest
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 5 6 Sep 30, 2016 08:50PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 6 5 Sep 30, 2016 08:47PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 7 5 Sep 30, 2016 08:46PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 6 6 Sep 30, 2016 08:36PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 6 5 Sep 30, 2016 05:05PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 5 5 Sep 30, 2016 02:09PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 9 5 Sep 30, 2016 02:03PM
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • Watch Me Die (Stacy Killian, #4; The Malones, #5)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • If I Should Die (Lucy Kincaid, #3)
  • The Whispers (The Whispers, #1)
  • Whisper To The Blood (Kate Shugak, #16)
  • Blood Born (Dr. Anya Crichton, #4)
  • Last Words (Last #2; John Mancini #12)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)

“Maggie felt sorry for her, a woman surrounded by beautiful expensive things, all of them by authentic designers, genuine gold-trims, the best-quality fabrics and woods, rare collector accessories of porcelain and ceramic—nothing artificial except her personality. Maggie” 0 likes