Start by marking “Buddha Mom” as Want to Read:
Buddha Mom

Buddha Mom

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In Buddha Mom, Jacqueline Kramer beautifully illuminates the ways in which motherhood can be woven with the spiritual life. Drawing upon her twenty years as a practicing Buddhist, as well as many other wisdom traditions from around the world, she offers powerful insights into cultivating a more spiritual attitude toward parenting.
In chapters, guided by central Buddhist th
Published April 12th 2004 by Tarcher (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Buddha Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha Mom

Gina
Overall, I was disappointed with this read. I've been reading up on Buddhism lately, because I was curious and hoping I can learn more about it and how it's applied in practice. I thought this would be a good book because I myself am a stay-at-home mom.

Instead of a solid discussion on Buddhism and mothering, however, Kramer injects a lot of new-age spirituality into the narrative. I think that when her writing strays from the subject of Buddhism, her writing suffers because it obviously detracts
Sandy
Jan 18, 2008 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms in general and/or Buddhist parents
So much about Buddhism is about a practice that requires solitude, meditation, focus, attention and attending workshops or classes. None of which can be done with children. The most valuable thing about this book is how it highlights that everyday mom things can be a part of the Buddhist path and how Buddhist philosophy can improve parenting simply by being mindful and present. I found it inspiring.
Shannon
Kramer has a great way of pouring out buddhist practice into drinkable portions for moms. The practical applications of following the middle path and meditation as everyday mindfulness is something moms can feel good, not guilty about. She seems to be following her own imperfect and rocky path which makes her an elegant teacher rather than an unattainable idol. In the beginning I thought I wanted an idol - a prophet of moms - and I was turned off by the mention of some of her failings. By the mi ...more
Charity
Nov 01, 2007 Charity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms looking to get more enjoyment from being moms
Shelves: parenting
Jacqueline Kramer gives information about her personal journey through pregnancy and motherhood from a Buddhist perspective, and guidance for all moms hoping to realize the spiritual potential of motherhood. I found the suggestions realistic, and I could really relate to the situations she described. It helped me take another step towards fully embracing and enjoying the "mom" role that I've chosen to make central in my life.

For anyone who reads this book and wants more, visit Jacqueline's websi
Maurine
Holly
A very good book. I expected more of a parenting book but delightfully ended up with a book on Buddism from a mom perspective. It was a more insightful book then I expected. Kramer writes simply and without an arrogance found in many parenting books. I will definitely be revisiting this book in the years to come.
Amber
I intentionally took forever to read this book. It was such a lovely little gem to read and contemplate. Really made me savor and appreciate the mothering process - really value it for what it is. I'd like to read it again.
Suri Morales
I found that the author skipped around a lot. I was very confused by the flow of the book. Although the chapter titles seemed to flow, the content in them did not. I could not finish reading it.
Nicole
I keep this book on my nightstand at all times. It is so inspiring and reminds me to be mindful and to honour the beauty and challenges that only a journey through motherhood can bring to my life.
LindseyLu
Mar 22, 2008 LindseyLu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book was amazing. Jacqueline Kramar has an amazing view on being not only a mother to our children but a nuturer of the planet, society, and Self.
Katherine
How to handle difficult emotions and practice without sitting alone on a mountain top.
Cindy
This book kept me calm and gave me great perspective during both of my pregnancies.
Beth
Jun 06, 2007 Beth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
just bought this today after wanting it for sometime...looks lovely!
Lisa
This book has given me enormous insight to parenting.
Rebecca
The first time I felt peace since my divorce.
Heather
not as informative as I was looking for
Casey
Casey is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
C Marcia
C Marcia is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
10 Spiritual Practices for Busy Parents

“Whatever anyone says or does is more about them than it is about me...” 5 likes