Start by marking “Fed Up!: Our Fight to Save America from Washington” as Want to Read:

Fed Up!: Our Fight to Save America from Washington
Published November 15th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fed Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fed Up!

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Jun 15, 2015 Nathan "N.R." Gaddis marked it as goldfinch-in-juice  ·  review of another edition
1) Sometimes it's embarrassing being a USofAian citizen. Guys like in this book here.

2) Adorno once flirted with empirical sociological research, the results published as The Authoritarian Personality. A part II is needed -- the Libertarian Personality, except it would be redundant.

3) Saying "nanny state" is sexism at its purist.

3.1) Protecting corporations from government regulations is a form of fascism ; which is what the largest portion of the special=interest lobbyists is about. [nurses do
LuAnn
Jul 08, 2011 LuAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Put your politics aside. I don't care if you are Democrat or Republican, Independent or Tea Party, if you care about our country, then you need to read and STUDY this book. Check the facts. Investigate the issues. Then decide where you stand and DO something about it. If we don't take back control then America as we know it will soon cease to exist. Get involved!!!
Lady Natasha
May 01, 2011 Lady Natasha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm sure the rest of the book was good, but I got so mad about his lack of research about state's rights and the War of Northern Aggression I had to quit reading the book.
Dec 28, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, 2016-reads
When reading books on politics, most people enter a book to praise or condemn the writer. I choose to read this books to learn. As this was written by Texas' long time governor, and I had the privilege of meeting him and having this books signed by him.

Perry, even in the space of this short book repeated himself a few times, however, he did make good points.

Politically, I have mostly agreed with Perry, and agreed with much of what he outlined in this book A few years ago, I probably would have
Dayna
Sep 30, 2011 Dayna marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to get through this as I think there is a good chance he will be the next POTUS. But I get quickly bored listening to privileged people complain. His tactic in the first few pages seemed to be, "This is great country, but ... " Now listen to me complain about everything that is wrong with it. Boring. Obviously he has too much time on his hands as Governor of Texas.
Donnie Reeves
Sep 04, 2011 Donnie Reeves rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read thousands of book---but this has to be the absolute worst effort to be disguised as a book that I have ever seen. May God have mercy should this idiot be elected President.
Laurie
Nov 17, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In 2012, Rick Perry went on The Daily Show to promote his book Fed Up! Perry's exchange with Jon Stewart intrigued me enough to make me add Fed Up! to my to-read list. Two years later, I've finally gotten around to reading the book. (Hey, there were a lot of other books ahead of this one on my list.) Two years later and my opinion of the former contestant for the Republican presidential nomination has changed drastically. But still, I decided to read Perry's book because I wanted to see exactly ...more
Michael
All hat, no cattle. Mr. Perry may be a great Texas politician, but he's going to have a hard time getting elected nationally. This is a very conservative view of how government should work: federalism, pure and simple, with the Tenth Amendment as the answer to just about every question. I understand this philosophy,but as we go through yet another long, hot summer of joblessness and suffering, I've begun to seriously question Mr. Perry's--and the larger Tea Party's--world view. (And, to be clear ...more
Kristen Wampner
Feb 19, 2015 Kristen Wampner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Perry believes our nation needs to change its political course. He believes in a nation whose people have faith, take responsibility for their own actions, and are self-reliant. He believes the Federal government, which in one year spends $3.7 trillion or $11,600 per person, Is too large and with 4,500 criminal laws and 103,000 pages of regulations, too complex.

"Fed Up!" shows his belief that Americans are overtaxes, overregulated, too restricted in what guns they can buy and how much salt
Claude Graves
I read this book wanting a straight from himself on what Rick Perry believed, given he's supposed to announce his presidential run in the next few days. Governor Perry wrote this book with the belief that Americans are fed up with the direction that the Federal Government is going and that it needs to be taken back by the people who believe in American exceptionalism and freedom. A kind of right-wing populism. He decries statism and, in his view, that most of today's overweening government goes ...more
Steve Rider
I read Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington by Rick Perry while a resident of Texas in 2010. Perry was governor during part of my residency. While the book has lots of sensible limited government material, what I most distinctly remember was reading the below passage and thinking to myself, "bull shit!!!"

Excerpt from book: "Now, cynics will say that I decided to write this book because I seek higher office. They are wrong: I already have the best job in America."

Sure enough, since p
Nicole Perez
Mar 20, 2011 Nicole Perez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to start by saying I did not pay for this book. One of my co-workers picked it up at the governor's victory party on Election Night. I was curious about this book because I am convinced this man is not going to serve his full next term.

Reading this book, I don't believe he wants to be president. Really. You can't criticize Washington when you live in the big white house. I think Rick Perry wants a job speaking or on Fox News.

This book, while a mere 240 pages, offered nothing I had not h
Don Weidinger
Dec 22, 2012 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free because of first principals of Faith, Freedom and Free Enterprise. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness-gained thru accomplishment. O said open to ideas however no look at success of Texas, DC is broken and not America, America is great because of reliance on individuals and not government, dependence on government is not the happiness gained thru achievement/accomplishment, Supreme Court has little to do with Constitution evidenced by rulings on both sides of various issues, more abo ...more
Jeff Raymond
A fairly straightforward primer of Rick Perry's vision for America. There's nothing especially new about this, per se, but seeing as he's quickly become a top tier candidate for President, it was worth the read.

The book is only surprising in that social issues take a much larger backseat in Perry's vision than you'd expect. They're there, to be certain, and he makes no bones about his positions on social and religious issues, but they take a back seat to the rights of states to embrace - or not
John
Jan 20, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid Rick Perry fan. I love him for his service to our Country, for being an Aggie, and for what he's accomplished for our great State of Texas, his traditional values and principles.

He really breaks down how and why Washington D.C. is broken and how it is bankrupting America. He speaks adamantly about state's rights (10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution), the Commerce Clause, the Supreme Court and it's over-reaching power, how The Federal government is ignoring National Security, Im
Tim Chavel
I bought this book to learn the views and beliefs of Rick Perry. He is very much in favor of states rights. He believes in a small federal government. He says the government that governs best is the one closet to the people which he means the local (city and county). I agree with much of what he states. However, in the debates I have watch he does not seem to be as passionate as he is in the book. It makes me wonder if someone else wrote the book for him. Newt Gingrich wrote the foreword and did ...more
Naomi
Nov 09, 2010 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must be totally honest and say this book is not what I expected. This book is well thought out, filled with relevant information and not alot of fluff. I expected this book to be political fluff, filled with Republican talking points and it wasn't. I was shocked to see that Rick Perry had started off his political life as a Democrat, like myself. As a Libertarian, I must say though, I think his plans/recommendations are lofty, at the least, with the two party system we currently have in this c ...more
Naveen
Nov 11, 2010 Naveen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good little book about limited government and the need to reform the Republican party to actually fight for a small federal government. It didn't give a guy like me (who knows a lot about politics) too much new as far as insight or ammunition to debate leftists that I don't already have. Here's one good quote that I liked though. "The government of these United States is a definite government, confined to specific objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Ch ...more
Tucker
Reading this together with Perry's other book, On My Honor: Why the American Values of the Boy Scouts are Worth Fighting For, left me confused. The ideas in the two books seemed inconsistent. I explained some of it in this article on individualism and collectivism.
Richard
As I write this, pundits say that Rick Perry is poised to declare for the GOP nomination. I try to find out who the candidates are and what they think. This is good summation of where Perry stands. I can see why Tea Party folk and other conservatives and libertarians like him. He argues persuasively for a return to the limited role of the Federal government envisioned by the Founding Fathers and written into the Constitution. Simple, clear, effective, and to the point.
Jeff Carpenter
Nov 25, 2011 Jeff Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Rick Perry becomes a voice for many hard working Americans who are tired and frustrated with a broken down federal government. He clearly states his case for a return to federalism and the Constitution. He cites many examples and quotes to back up his opinions and gives hope that maybe some politicians still get it. If you have not been impressed with the debate performance of Perry, most have not, maybe you should read this book.
Bookwyrmgyrl
I heard this book mentioned during the Republican debate in September 2011, and decided to check it out. At the end of it, I have a little bit deeper understanding of Perry's take on Federalism and state's rights. I also know more about his challenges in the state of Texas regarding the border with Mexico, environmental issues, and responding to emergencies like Katrina.
Clint
Jun 22, 2011 Clint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why this book has caused such a fuss. It seemed like a rational call for a return to the common-sense limited government principles our country was founded on. If only more people would actually read the book, rather than just letting the media tell them what's in it, I don't think they would find Perry's views as "extreme" as they are being portrayed.
Judy
Mar 08, 2012 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading books on our current political situation and climate make me long for a shift back to the rights of the states. It seems like we might have a chance of impacting our state and local government. It seems we will not reach any type of consensus on the national level.
JanieceK
Mar 16, 2011 JanieceK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regardless of how you feel about Rick Perry, he made some excellent points. At least, they are excellent from a Conservative's standpoint. I'm sure the liberal left will call every name they can think of while they're stomping it into powder.
Trisha
Sep 27, 2011 Trisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING with a capital "B." I will sum all 200 pages up for you....he wants to repeal "Obamacare."
Adam Decker
Pretty much Perry's position statement in book form.
Gary Abbott
I find very little to agree with in this book - but I have to say that he is at least consistent in his outlook.
Stephanie
Aug 13, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it! Decide for yourself what you believe. It will make you think and have you talking with people on what you see going on in this country.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • It Takes a Family: Conservatism and the Common Good
  • A Simple Government: Twelve Things We Really Need from Washington (and a Trillion That We Don't)
  • City on Fire: The Forgotten Disaster That Devastated a Town and Ignited a Landmark Legal Battle
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • Mocha with Max
  • Saving Freedom: We Can Stop America's Slide into Socialism
  • A Nation of Moochers: America's Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing
  • Stuff Every Man Should Know (Stuff You Should Know)
  • The Communist
  • Indivisible: Restoring Faith, Family, and Freedom Before It's Too Late
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Middle East
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • An American Son: A Memoir
  • Coal River
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • No Apology: The Case for American Greatness
  • Why Bernie Sanders Matters
  • The FairTax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS
James Richard "Rick" Perry served as the 47th Governor of Texas from 2000 to 2015. President-elect Donald Trump said in 2016 that he would nominate him to be Secretary of the Department of Energy.

A Republican, Perry was elected Lieutenant Governor of Texas in 1998 and assumed the governorship in December 2000 when then-governor George W. Bush resigned to become President of the United States. Perr
More about Rick Perry...

“I see a nation filled with good, hardworking people who are wondering what happened to the country they knew. It wasn't long ago that we were expected to pay our bills, we were able to pray at the town meeting, and we believed it was important to rely on ourselves or our families rather than government.” 5 likes