Start by marking “To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #3)

To Fetch a Thief (Chet and Bernie Mystery #3)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,726 Ratings  ·  602 Reviews
Following the acclaimed Dog On It and Thereby Hangs a Tail, thethird Chet and Berniemystery featuring an irresistible canine narrator.

In the third book in the brilliant New York Times bestselling series featuring a lovable and wise dog narrator, Chet and Bernie go under the big top to solve the most unlikely missing persons (and animals!) case ever.

We were outnumbered, so
Published September 28th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To Fetch a Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Fetch a Thief

Stephanie
Jan 27, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, humor
I really like the Chet and Bernie mysteries. Chet is hilarious! I can see my dogs doing the same stuff Chet does and hearing what (possibly) goes through their minds is really entertaining.

In this installation, Chet and Bernie are asked to find a missing animal trainer and his ELEPHANT! How do you lose an elephant? Anywho... The case leads them to Mexico and the world of smuggling. Bernie takes another beating in this one and Chet once again saves the day.
Glenn Whelan
Jul 14, 2011 Glenn Whelan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
perfect for quick summer reading, the Chet and Bernie books never leave the bowl empty. They are kibble full of fun, entertaining detective work. They also are quick to note a bit about the human experience, seen through the eyes of a dog.

This time around, To fetch a thief , the disappearance of a circus elephant leads to a string of other disappearances and wrongdoing. Spencer Quinn weaves a complex crime into a simple solution. But we read this for Chet more than the actual mystery.

A brief th
Roberta
Sep 16, 2010 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In recent days I have had to cut back on reviewing due to increasing “day job” demands. I still get some review books in the mail. I opened a package before going on my long anticipated vacation and was excited to see it was the latest Chet & Bernie mystery. I discovered this delightful series through an online book club and was hooked from the first page of DOG ON IT. I don’t own a dog, but fell in love with Chet immediately. Among other endearing qualities, I could relate to his tendency t ...more
Karin
Peanut the elephant and his trainer have vanished, seemingly into thin air, and so Chet and Bernie, who have also been hired on a possible divorce case, are on the trail. But at first there is no trail; not even a scent, and boy, do elephants have a strong scent! Chet knows. When the trainer turns up dead in the desert with nary a sign of Peanut, they are investigating several shady characters which leads them on a wild goose chase, despite the fact that Chet can't see or smell any geese whatsov ...more
Alyssa
Jul 11, 2013 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Quick and Dirty:

Bernie Little, private detective, and his dog Chet are back and solving more mysteries in the American Southwest. The 3rd entry in this series finds the team investigating the disappearance of a circus elephant and her trainer on a twisty trail that leads them down Mexico way. Engaging, easy read with some genuinely poignant moments along the way. I heart these books so much!

The Wordy Version:

Seriously, I do heart these books so much. They are narrated by the black-and-wh
Patti
Jan 26, 2011 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Chet the Jet! I love how his doggie mind works and how you can tell he sometimes is just repeating things he's heard humans say (i.e. she's [his groomer] got a great business with a great business plan) and how he sometimes gets distracted by a Cheeto. I often repeat things that I've heard and get distracted by Cheetos, so I understand this dog. Despite his sometimes simple thoughts, Chet is not to be underestimated (me, either!). His keen sense of smell and hearing give him a, uh, dog's ...more
Jackie
The third book in the hilarious Chet and Bernie Mystery series hits the shelves in late September, and it does not disappoint. They are on the trail, literally, of a missing circus elephant and her beloved trainer when they stumble upon a much higher stakes smuggling operation that will make your fur stand up. It's another fun frolic with this dynamic duo that is sure to please their many fans.
Connie N.
This is just about the cutest and cleverest idea for a cozy/detective book. Bernie Little is head of the Little Detective Agency, and is a shy and endearingly bumbling kind of hero. Chet is his sidekick, a dog, and we see the story through his eyes. Chet thinks in what I imagine is a totally dog-like manner. He starts thinking about something and is easily distracted by food...or he will hear a phrase like "You're just a chicken." and misunderstand, immediately thinking about chicken...or he'll ...more
kari
Jul 02, 2015 kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Quickly becoming one of my favorite series. I love Chet and Bernie, what a great team they are.
In this installment, they are searching for a circus elephant and her trainer who've gone missing or perhaps ran away due to influence by animal rights activism.
Not only does the author do a terrific job of getting Chet right with his actions, thoughts, behaviors, but he must have studied up on elephant behavior because I felt Peanut's emotions and actions.
There are also personal bits of Bernie's life
Joe
May 31, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Theres no great depth to the Chet and Bernie books, but then, the author never tries to be the next Agatha Christie. They are just funny stories narrated as through the eyes of Chet-the-Jet Bernies faithful dog. This book finds the duo on a missing elephant hunt, can they help Peanut or can Peanut help them.

If you want a light hearted read with a few laughs this could be the book for you, if your a dog lover then this is definitely a book for you. Probably best read in order but not essential.
Meg
I just love the Chet and Bernie books. Written from the POV of Chet the Dog, this book is warm, funny and entertaining. Chet and his owner Bernie are PIs and are on the trail of a missing elephant. As nauseatingly cute as the premise sounds, the result is a gorgeous, funny book with great characters. Bernie the PI is lovely - he is my new fictional crush - and Chet the Dog is just awesomeness on four legs. Spencer Quinn is a brilliant writer (and probably an awesome dog owner).
Monica
Jan 13, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. I think character-wise, this one rounded out Bernie much more. It was great to see how soft-hearted he can be with people and animals awhile still having this tough guy persona. And, of course, what isn't to love about Chet - but he just goes above and beyond in this case. Chet is giving Lassie & Enzo competition as best canine characters ever. Thoroughly entertaining fun.
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read alot of books with animals as one of the main characters. But I've never read a book narrated by a dog -- until now. This is the first Chet and Bernie book I have read, but it is the third in the series with Dog on It, and Thereby Hangs a Tail preceding it.

PI Bernie Little runs the Little Detective Agency, along with his partner and counterpart, Chet, a very intelligent and watchful dog. Not much gets past him. When the two are staking out a motel for a man who things his wife is two-t
Paul Pessolano
Spencer Quinn has put together a very enjoyable series of books that feature private investigator, Bernie Little, and his precocious mutt, Chet. There are presently three books in the series; the first two are, "Dog On It" and "Thereby Hangs a Tail". All three are highly entertaining and do not have to read in order. These books can also be read by anyone because there is nothing objectionable in them regarding language or content.

"To Catch a Thief" finds Bernie and Chet at the circus. The main
Megan Kelly
May 13, 2011 Megan Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spencer Quinn's dog character, Chet, has become a favorite of mine. The author does an amazing job of staying in a dog's head--Chet never knows anything he shouldn't, anything human, or anything he doesn't experience himself. And the things he overhears or sees but doesn't understand are priceless ("Just spit it out," Bernie might say, and Chet thinks "oh, no, not in the cab of the truck." LOL)
Let me say, Spencer Quin does an incredible feat here--I don't like animal pov, I don't like circuses,
Lucinda
Sep 12, 2011 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Fetch a Thief (Atria 2010) finds private detective Bernie Little and his faithful companion Chet the dog doing surveillance outside a motel, watching the possibly errant wife of a new client. Chet is relieved that there will soon be money coming in; the failed investment in Hawaiian pants hasn’t helped their financial situation. But Bernie is less concerned about money than doing the right thing, especially when he realizes that ex-wife’s new love interest is the man his client’s cheating wif ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 19, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy humorous and clever mysteries
Private detective Bernie Little and his intrepid canine companion Chet investigate the disappearance of an elephant and his trainer from a rundown circus. In addition, Bernie must deal with an ethical dilemma involving his shrewish ex-wife. To say much more would be to ruin the surprises of Spencer Quinn's third entry in this engaging mystery series.

Granted, the dog's eye view can sometimes grate this third time around; Chet's misunderstandings and foibles were more endearing when they were fres
Foxthyme
Jul 16, 2012 Foxthyme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a total sucker for Chet and Bernie mysteries. What's not to love about a mystery novel series told from Chet the dog's point of view? Chet is a flunked out of police school rebel who is more than happy to be hanging out with his best pal Bernie while solving murders and disappearances, and nabbing the bad guys. In this novel, Chet and Bernie have the task of tracking down a missing elephant trainer and elephant, Peanut. You wouldn't think it would be so hard finding an elephant, would you? ...more
Megan
Oct 27, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. They're just so entertaining. Yeah they are basically all the same but I don't care. They're fun. Chet and Bernie go on a case. Things get a little mixed up. Somehow Chet get separated from Bernie. Chet solves most of the case on his own. Then Chet finds Bernie and they both get out of another jam by the skin of their teeth and save the day.
I love seeing and hearing everything from Chet's point of view. He's the narrator and does a wonderful job. The stories are told exactly
Penny Ramirez
Enh. It was amusing, but I guess I really *did* need to listen to something lighter in tone, because I kept wishing the action would hurry up and happen, and then I had to remind myself that I was listening to a DOG, fercryinoutloud. I enjoy Chet's philosophical moments, but then I start thinking it's getting repetitive (I think I can go quite a while without hearing the phrases "breaking rocks in the hot sun" or "but he's wearing an orange jumpsuit now" - seriously) and then I have to remind my ...more
Kwoomac
My four star rating here reflects exactly what the goodreads rating guide suggests: Really liked it. It's not a brilliant piece of literature or anything but this author does deliver what I'm looking for when I pick up one of his Bernie Little and Chet the jet series. Bernie owns a detective agency and Chet is his trusty sidekick. The stories are told in Chet's voice and you're either going to love this or hate it. I happen to love it. In spite of the fact that I know everything is going to turn ...more
Joshua
Jul 21, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an enjoyable mystery book. I do not read many mystery books (this is probably only my second mystery book so far), but this one was an interesting read. I have never heard of the Chet and Bernie series before reading this but I liked the idea of having the story being told from the dog's perspective. The plot was enjoyable and the characters were all mainly interesting. I did think though that some of the humor (such as the dog Chet taking some of the human's quotes literally) ...more
Margery Blue
To Fetch a Thief..
By Spencer Quinn...

This is the first Chet and Bernie mystery novel I have read, its supposed to be the 3rd book in this series, so even though this is a series the books can be read as a stand alone, which is what I was so happy to find.

The writing style is so sweet it really does feel like your reading from a dog's perspective, its really funny and heart warming, and even though the story is nothing amazing, the writing style just sucks you in and makes you want to read more a
Cheryl
To Fetch a Thief by Spencer Quinn is the third in the Chet and Bernie Mystery series. In this story, Peanuts the elephant goes missing, and our detectives discover all sorts of funny business going on at the circus as they try to solve the case. If you've not read any of the series yet, you should know that Chet and Bernie are private investigators. Bernie, the owner, is down on his luck detective with a heart and social conscience, while Chet, the narrator of the story, is a happy-go-lucky live ...more
Laurla2
Nov 10, 2015 Laurla2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books, mystery
"the price of everything and the value of nothing? i turned that over in my mind. it turned over a couple of times and then went away."

"any chance someone's hungry?" he said. bernie was a good guesser.

"i've got a strong suspicion you saved my bacon last night."
bacon? there'd been bacon last night? cheetos, yes, but that was it. had i somehow missed out on bacon?

"the heel is down at the foot: i was pretty sure of that, because when bernies says heel, which he really never has to, i walk along ri
Wonderbread
Jun 23, 2016 Wonderbread rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story told through the eyes of "Chet the Jet", Bernie's faithful partner and (almost) Police Dog.

I was afraid these books would be corny or silly. I mean, seeing everything through a dog's eyes? But I'm glad I gave them a shot. The series is fun if you like a good mystery and love dogs. I think it helps if you really like dogs and have a good sense of humor, otherwise you might be disappointed.

These books are by no means farcical; there's a good mystery behind them and enough action
Trish
Oct 27, 2010 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, animals
Two of my favorite animals feature in this mystery and both seem more principled than their human counterparts. This is a book for dog lovers of all stripes. Somehow Quinn manages to make each mystery revealing of a dog's nature. Quinn thanks his followers from the website ChetTheDog.com so perhaps there is something of help coming from fans.
Margaret
Oct 29, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One can't help but love Chet... to hear his thoughts and opinions, likes and dislikes, along with his keen sense of smell and dogsense makes Chet a clever sidekick for his pal Bernie... I don't think Chet knows he's anyone's dog, he's just a valuable member of The Little Detective Agency. And definitely is this man's best friend. A scratch behind the ears for you Chet.
Brian Quick
Feb 15, 2015 Brian Quick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a fun series. Chet is a hilarious narrator. So far each book is similar, but really enjoyable rides with Chet and Bernie.
Steven
Jul 15, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I have fallen in love with this series about Bernie, a human private investigator, and Chet, his canine sidekick, who pursue mysteries in the Southwest. Perhaps it's because the three books that I have read are cleverly written, surprisingly suspenseful, and told by Chet, who is both clueless (from the human standpoint) and insightful. As a dog owner, I can verify that everything about Chet's behavior rings true. This installment is particularly notable for an extended virtuoso ...more
Play Book Tag: To Fetch a Thief book 3 by Spencer Quinn 3 stars 1 6 May 21, 2016 06:50AM
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • A Dog About Town
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Blanche Among the Talented Tenth (Blanche White #2)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Desert Lost (A Lena Jones Mystery #6)
1932450
Spencer Quinn lives on Cape Cod with his dog Audrey, and is hard at work on the next Chet and Bernie adventure.

Spencer Quinn is a pseudonym of author Peter Abrahams.

Series:
* A Chet and Bernie Mystery

More about Spencer Quinn...

Chet and Bernie Mystery (8 books)
  • Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1)
  • Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Chet and Bernie #4)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #6)
  • Paw and Order (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #7)
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #8)

“A light breeze sprang up behind me. In a matter of moments, I realized it was my tail.” 1 likes