The Dark Side of the Light Chasers

The Dark Side of the Light Chasers

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,578 ratings  ·  130 reviews
The bestselling, beloved classic on how to go into the dark side of yourself to bring out the light -- now with new material.
Debbie Ford believes that we each hold within us a trace of every human characteristic that exists, the capacity for every human emotion. We are born with the ability to express this entire spectrum of characteristics. But, Ford points out, our fami...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Riverhead Books (first published May 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Side of the Light Chasers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Side of the Light Chasers

Kristie Hayes
I was really not sure what to expect with this book and thought it might go over my head, but it resonated with me.

Debbie Ford basically states that within us are all qualities, good and bad. That is what makes us human and once we can accept that, we can encounter the Divine. We do this by taking responsibility for our actions and learning how to use our negative characteristics for good. I never thought of doing that but by looking at my negative traits in that way, I feel like I have come to...more
tex norman
Carl Gustav Jung was a Swiss psychiatrist, who wrote about our shadow selves. In The Dark Side of the Light Chasers Debbie Ford makes that journey to know your shadow self a practical journey and this is the tour guide for that journey. We can pretend we have no shadow side, no dark motives, but we do, and if we ignore that as a human being we have both good and bad within us, we run the risk of letting our shadow side sneak up and kick us in the butt. We do, what we don’t want to do, because we...more
Margaret
I came across this book during a very low point of my life. It turned out to be one of those books that contributed to making a difference towards a positive change...for me at least. You need to be introspective to make the most of it and at times it can be painful reading this book. This book will help if you take it seriously. I've read hundreds of books but this one is one of the ones that were memorable and impactful for me on my journey to a more joyful living.
Steven
this is not the type of book i read. i sort of told myself that before i got into it, but it was lent to me, and i have no reason not to follow the advice or recommendation of anyone that i keep in my life. yes. it's a self help, self realization, self actualization book. the first of its kind that i read. and i actually enjoyed it. not so much the language, or the flourish. not so much the very familiar colloquialisms that many of these inspirational texts tend to cloak itself in. but rather, w...more
Andrea
My favorite part about this book was realizing that everything that I love or can't stand about somebody is an unspoken truth about myself.. really cool experience when I started seeing others as reflections of myself. Debbie Ford offers a practice that enhances confidence, honesty with oneself, and therefore helps relationships with others get easier. I started to see how I am drawn to others who are close to what I think of myself- that what I love about others is also true about me, and that...more
Kosjitov
If you're looking for a serious book to enhance your "Shadow Work" practices, this is certainly one I would recommend to others who asked for reading material. Ms. Ford is exceptionally frank about her own issues and helps guide others down the same path that she walked step by step.

I rated this book 4 stars because I found the exercises within thought provoking and found myself avoiding blitzing the book cover to cover before I could accomplish some practice with them. To the end of knowing you...more
Matthew Hunter
"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

Jung's quote above pretty much sums up much of what Ford's trying to do with The Dark Side of the Light Chasers. She exhorts readers to tackle Shadow Work, a series of practices for "unconcealing, owning, and embracing your shadow", or dark side. Here's why:
We live under the impression that in order for something to be divine it has to be perfect. We are mistaken. In fact, the exact opposite is
Samira
Aug 30, 2007 Samira rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thos who would rather be Whole than Good
It's definitely my cup of tea.Those who know abit about "the shadow"-brought up by Jung- would agree 100% what this book has to offer,but those who don;t know would need it in their lives ,specially where they have had or would have challenges with themselves about the attitudes of others.I used to have a lot of "self-punshing thoughts" throughout my short living.but after reading and practising on this book there came a lot of changes.i learnet that rather than trying to get rid of or suppress...more
Raluca
I think this book is OK for the self-helper out there. I found it a bit repetitive - the message is very clearly laid out in the first chapter and then replayed over and over again in the following ones. In fact, I believe the only added value of each chapter is the list of exercises at the end, which always start with a very calming meditation and then some questions. Now, if you really take the time and effort to answer the questions properly (and by that I mean, really dig deep and push throu...more
Diane Schlichting
This was the first self-help book that I actually read cover to cover. It hooked me on page 1 by stating something that was clearly in my mind and continued to get me from there, constantly speaking what was in my thoughts and my heart. Bringing to light the dark side of my emotions and trauma. It was a very revealing read, I learned a great deal and it helped to see others from this perspective and to say - AHA! So that is why I think that!

My endless gratitude to Karen for giving me this book a...more
Margaret
A thought and emotion-provoking book about finding those aspects of yourself that you deny or hate, and allowing them to have a part in your life in a healthy, "whole" way. Although I enjoyed Debbie's anecdotal style of writing, I often felt confused about how knowing your shadow can actually help you become more of a whole person. I wonder if this is simply difficult to do by yourself, even with the help of a book—to find your shadow and own it.

It's easy to see the shadow side of others, though...more
Nattasha
This is one of those mind altering books..where one suddenly realizes theres so much more than we are aware of.
Loved it and starting loving my dark side too now...which Debbie Ford explains is only the suppressed parts of us...and loving and accepting all of it is the only way to heal and become whole again:-)
Jen
Intriguing peek at how we choose to integrate our shadow selves into our lives
Masha
Umjesto recenzije još malo citata:

(str. 172) Svaki put kad kažete da ćete nešto učiniti, samom sebi i univerzumu pokazujete da se na vas može računati. I onda, kad počnete raditi na ostvarivanju većih ciljeva, (...) uspjet ćete u tome.

(str. 173) Kad neprestano lažemo sami sebe, teško nam je steći povjerenje u sebe. Novogodišnje odluke koje nikad ne ostvarite samo su želje. Vaša riječ, ako je ne shvatite ozbiljno, nije ništa više osim buke. Komunikacija je izniman dar, ali vaše vam riječi mogu...more
Billi Dubé

The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Brilliance, Creativity and Dreams

You must go into the dark in order to bring forth your light. When we suppress any feeling or impulse, we are also suppressing its polar opposite. If we deny our ugliness, we lessen our beauty. If we deny our fear, we minimize our courage. If we deny our greed, we also reduce our generosity. Our full magnitude is more than most of us can ever imagine.” - From The Dark Side of the Light Chasers, May 1998

In...more
Jenell
This book was very enjoyable. It was one of those books that is easy to read. On the other hand, if you're not introspective naturally, you might find it difficult to read and digest. Learning about our shadow can be painful. But this subject matter intrigues me.

Debbie Ford has an interesting perspective on the shadow, those aspects of ourselves that we repress and hide. She's explored her own shadow and shares her struggles freely, as well as worked with people in counseling situations and so...more
Rei
Sep 16, 2007 Rei rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all humans who think they are ok, meaning practically everyone.:)
Shelves: books-i-love
I think I was merely into the first two chapters of it and I was reading it on the bus when I started crying. I had to face the bus window so that the other passengers in my row would not see that I was crying, almost sobbing. It was crazy but the book hit something in me that I thought was never there. In the next days, I allowed myself to go through the exercises in the book and wow, it released baggages, biases in me that I thought were never there. It's a cleansing experience. I wish I could...more
Dan Toft
The title may sound a little new-agey, but in our society, full of positive thinking and repression, this book was a breath of fresh air. We will never be the person that we want to be by cutting off or denying those parts of ourselves that we deem "bad" or that embarrass us. We have to understand where they came from and come to grips with the fact that we have the potential to become anything, good or bad. Only by embracing our dark sides can we become the holistic, healthy people that we alwa...more
Rene
I'm excited to read this book. I have heard some great things about it, and it deals with women who feel disturbed, and angry often by the way that other people are. this allows you to realize that what you hate about other people may very well be the things that you hate about yourself, because..
every person possesses every character trait imaginable!
i'm excited to grasp parts of my personality that i don't like, and accepting me for who i am :)
Jean
Debbie Ford doesn't try to bring anything new to the table with this book and she admits to this right from the beginning. She does however provide a layman's methodology to self analysis. If you are a dedicated and disciplined writer and like to keep journals than this book can be used as a useful guide. For the theory part I suggest someone to go to Ken Wilber's book entitled "No Boundary".
Alexis
"The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" outlines a very powerful program that challenges you to take ownership of every aspect of yourself, even the parts you deny. (Especially the parts you deny.) If your goal is to move toward wholeness and reclaim all of your gifts, I highly recommend this book.

Now that I've highlighted it all over, I'm going to go back through it and do the exercises.
Andrea

This is another one of those books that has changed my life. I did the exercises throughout this book and it changed the way I look at things and I am continually amazed at the shape my life is taking. We all have a shadow and we owe it to ourselves to get to know that shadow and embrace it. Debbie Ford had the courage to share this with the world and I think that everyone should read it.
ArEzO.... Es
آغازین فصل اول:
اغلب ما هنگامی که تاب تحمل درد و رنج بیشتری را نداریم در مسیر رشد و تکامل گام بر می داریم .کتاب نیمه تاریک وجود از آن بخش از شخصیت ما پرده بر می دارد که روابط مارا به بن بست می کشاند روح مارا می کشد و مانع از تحقق رویاهایمان می شود .کارل یونگ این بخش را سایه می نامد .سایه شامل همه آن ویژگی های شخصیتی ماست که سعی می کنیم پنهان یا نفی کنیم ...
Kathy
Apr 03, 2009 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, especially people who are always blaming others or trying to fix other people.
Recommended to Kathy by: Healing Circle at the Olive Garden, NY
Shelves: self-help
Fabulous book to deal with your dark side, shadow. And most importantly to deal with things (as in personality qualities) that you don't like in other people or things you are jealous of in other people. You MUST read a chapter at a time and then DO the exercises at the end of each chapter. If you don't, then you will miss the powerful gift that this book is.
Deborah Berberi
I could not get through this whole book no matter how many times I tried to pick it up and read it....but what I basically got from is it....Don't be afraid of people calling you things...accept that you are that and move on. Everyone has a little witch in them...ect...embrace your inner witch and live with it! Use it when you need it.
Hippymomma
Dec 10, 2007 Hippymomma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Stupidest title ever - makes it sound very new-agey. But really it's the oldest wisdom ever and involves working with your "shadow" to incorporate it and bring it to light. Most valuable lesson I learned was: if something bugs you about someone else, it's probably because it's something you can't accept about yourself.
Sheri
Aug 06, 2008 Sheri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the shadow process.
This book is a great guide for integrating all aspects of yourself so you can become whole and healthy. It is written for anyone, lay or professional, who is interested in integrating their 'shadow' to live a more fulfilling life. After reading this book, I am seriously considering attending one of Debbie's seminars.
Heather
This was a really different book. But it was so altered from my present perspective that it gave me an almost paradigm shift in seeing myself and my personality/spiritual flaws. It is definitely a powerful tool in forgiving yourself and opening yourself up to potentials you may not even realize you have.
Yvensong
This book relies heavily on the Jungian belief of accepting your darker sides. Ford provides several exercises to help you become a more well-rounded and whole person. There's not anything truly new and radical in the book, but she has made the concept and work more accessible to lay people.
  • Soul Stories
  • Woman's Worth
  • The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self
  • Soul Mates: Honouring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
  • Friendship with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • Trust Your Vibes: Secret Tools for Six-Sensory Living
  • One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth
  • The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • Healing with the Angels: How the Angels Can Assist You in Every Area of Your Life
Debbie Ford was an American author of self-help books. Her first book, "The Dark Side Of The Light Chasers", spawned eight more books in the genre and dealt with confronting one's "dark side" rather than ignoring it. Ford also hosted television and radio shows related to her books.

She passed away due to complications from cancer in 2013.
More about Debbie Ford...
The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It Why Good People Do Bad Things: How to Stop Being Your Own Worst Enemy Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life The 21-Day Consciousness Cleanse