Humorists: From Hogarth to Noel Coward

Humorists: From Hogarth to Noel Coward

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The author of the masterly volumes Intellectuals, Creators, and Heroes returns with a collection of biographical portraits of the greatest humorists and wits in history.

In Intellectuals, Paul Johnson offered a fascinating portrait of the minds that have shaped the modern world. In Creators, he examined a host of outstanding and prolific creative spirits. And in Heroes, he...more
Published November 30th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Humorists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humorists

Kate
I don't know what to say about this one. Johnson presents a series of short biographies about people he considers the greatest Western humorists. He also introduces a thesis -- that all humor either stems from order or chaos -- and attemps to prove that point through the work of his selected funnymen. (And they are all men, btw.) Little mini-biographies arranged around a central theme are actually a great pleasure: you learn just enough to stay interested, you're given a lens through which to co...more
AticoLibros
«Johnson es un escritor con un don genuino. La habilidad de transformar vastas extensiones de la historia en una narrativa absorbente le asegura público durante años.»
THE NEW YORK TIMES

«El talento de Johnson contando historias vívidas se combina con un asombroso dominio de grandes y complejos temas y con una inagotable capacidad de convertirlas en algo comprensible y absorvente.»
LOS ANGELES TIMES BOOK REVIEW

«Johnson teje de forma magistral un hilo narrativo entre estas figuras, muchas de las cua...more
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/humoristas/

Una de mis películas favoritas es el musical Cantando bajo la lluvia (1952) dirigido por Stanley Donen y el propio Gene Kelly, protagonista de la inolvidable escena que da título a la no menos inolvidable cinta. Tiene tantas escenas memorables que sería difícil quedarse solo con una.

De hecho, me quería centrar en una de ellas que considero un paradigma metanarrativo de lo que cuesta hacer humor, conseguir que la gente se ría. Para los que no sepa...more
Michael
This book is a collection of short biographical sketches about notable humorists -- many of whom I had never thought of as humorists, e.g., Benjamin Franklin, Dr. Johnson, and G.K. Chesterton. I found Paul Johnson’s analysis and insights highly perceptive as usual. And the sketches are short introductions that give you a taste of the individual's life; for the full meal you'll need to consult a biography. I was also impressed by the author’s diction and vocabulary: I often had to scramble for a...more
Gary
I read this book because I love almost everything Paul Johnson has written. I learned several things about characters, including ...

• William Hogarth
• Laurel and Hardy
• Thomas Rowlandson
• G. K. Chesterton
• Chaplin

Most of Johnson books are about major historic events or personalities. This book was about people from the arts which is not really my area of interest and certainly not my area o...more
Inert1
Humorists is a very pleasant read. The introduction, explaining humor, laughter, and comedy, makes the book worthwhile by itself. However, it seems that Johnson is trying to do something that is perhaps left untried. He creates some broad categories that are useful in understanding the subjects' humor, and he gives some hilarious examples of the humor. (The Dickens examples are particularly good.) Yet, I did not fully understand what warranted some of the characters' inclusion in the book, altho...more
Glen Smith
Paul Johnson always writes captivating stories. Several of the chapters in this book very fascinating as they delved into the lives of a colorful cast of humorists and explain the basic art forms used by those who evoke laughter.

A couple of the chapters were less compelling, almost having a Freudian feel to them. But I did find the book a good and informative read. The analysis is notable for its historical breath, scope of genres and collection of an unusual collection of personalities.
Andrew
Humorists is a step down for Johnson after his engaging works on Creators and Heroes (and, I believe, Intellectuals, which I have not yet read). I still enjoyed getting to know many of these famous and not-so famous greats, but the prose wandered more, and his characters' sexual oddities seemed to occupy vastly more of Johnson's attention than they deserved. Still, he got me to watch two great Chaplin movies (Gold Rush and The Kid), for which I am grateful.

Karl Rove
Anything by the great British writer Paul Johnson is worthy ready. Anything. This is an idiosyncratic book about humor and those who made it in their books, speeches, appearance, films, and plays. You may wonder at his choices (or omissions) but you will find yourself alternately chuckling, giggling, guffawing, snorting and just plain laughing as Johnson recounts the humorous antics of his picks as history’s greatest wits.
Shaon
Humor tends to be very personal and cultural. It is interesting to see the choice of subjects used to illustrate the humorists - bare bottoms & pie throwing. The choices seem to be between "chaos" humor and one liners. But then I have always heard that comedy is hard.
AmblingBooks
"Praise for the work of Paul Johnson: "A tour de force�A remarkable achievement." � New York Times Book Review

Listen to Humorists on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
David Ward
Humorists: From Hogarth to Noel Coward by paul Johnson(Harper Collins 2010)(920) contains mini-biographies of a number of humorists. None of these are my favorites, and none were of any real interest to me. 3/10, finished 8/24/11.
Richard
I enjoyed reading this book but the focus was too arbitrary. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the humorists Johnson chose to write about when there were so many he left out.
Joshua
Some parts of this were quite good; however, some of the humorists indulged in various kinds of bawdy humor, which was not exactly pleasant reading.
So far, so good. I thoroughly enjoyed the chapter on Benjamin Franklin. It gave great insight into a prominent historical figure.
Damasio
Damasio marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Raglianti
Raglianti marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Rafael da Silva
Rafael da Silva marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Denisse
Denisse marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Blair and Ben
Blair and Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Malby
Malby added it
Jun 27, 2014
Yael
Yael marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Calvin
Calvin marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Paul Johnson works as a historian, journalist and author. He was educated at Stonyhurst School in Clitheroe, Lancashire and Magdalen College, Oxford, and first came to prominence in the 1950s as a journalist writing for, and later editing, the New Statesman magazine. He has also written for leading newspapers and magazines in Britain, the US and Europe.

Paul Johnson has published over 40 books incl...more
More about Paul Johnson...
Churchill A History of the American People Modern Times: The World from the Twenties to the Nineties, Revised Edition A History of the Jews (Perennial Library) Intellectuals: From Marx and Tolstoy to Sartre and Chomsky