Start by marking “Il cammino. Il mio pellegrinaggio verso Santiago de Compostela” as Want to Read:
Il cammino. Il mio pellegrinaggio verso Santiago de Compostela

Il cammino. Il mio pellegrinaggio verso Santiago de Compostela

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,846 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
Known as the Camino, the Santiago de Compostela Camino is a famous pilgrimage that has been undertaken by people for centuries across northern Spain. It is said that this 500-mile path lies directly under the Milky Way and that it reflects the energy of the star systems above it. Facing her sixth decade of life on earth, writer and actor Shirley MacLaine decided to go on t ...more
Paperback, Open Space #41, 250 pages
Published September 2005 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published January 1st 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Il cammino. Il mio pellegrinaggio verso Santiago de Compostela

Walter Van praag
Yes, we do judge a book by its cover. This one says The Camino, and I was hoping to read about the El Camino de Santiago pilgrimage. I had read half a dozen books about the Camino before I went and did it myself, so when i returned home I thought I better read this Spiritual Book of Shirley MacLaine's.

Little could've prepared me for the depth of spirituality of this book. I really enjoyed the bits where she was actually on the trail, but 90% of this book is about an imaginary world. Sure it is
Ray Foy
Aug 26, 2015 Ray Foy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Shirley MacLaine's The Camino several years ago and it touched me in subtle ways as did her previous book, Out on a Limb. This review is from rereading it and trying to find that point of connection that had moved me so. Or maybe points of connection, for there are many.

First, Shirley MacLaine is no ordinary "movie star. " She is a capable writer, able to tell her story in engaging and intelligent prose, even when the subject matter is strange. She is aware of her privileged position tha
May 26, 2012 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this book before walking the Camino myself in 2010, and now, nearly two years later, I've actually gotten around to reading it. What can I say - a celebrity walks the Camino. This wasn't so much a book about walking the Camino as it was an opportunity for Shirley MacLaine to talk about herself and describe in lurid detail the dreams she had along the way. However, it did illustrate to me just how much the Camino infrastructure and signage has improved since the 1990s, for which I a ...more
The parts about the travelling I liked to read, but the story about spiritual experience I found very vague and strange and not interesting and the story about the press following her I found very irritating: she thinks she is a very, very important person.
Vikki Marshall
Jul 23, 2012 Vikki Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This memoir by Shirley MacLaine is about her pilgrimage along the Santiago de Compostela Camino in Spain. It is a beautifully written account of one woman’s incredible experiences along the centuries old trail that has inspired the likes of Saint Paul, Charlemagne, Dante, St. Francis of Assisi, and even Chaucer. The trek is 500 miles over mountains and valleys with stops along the way catering specifically to pilgrims in search of spiritual awakenings. MacLaine was in her 60’s when she hiked the ...more
Nov 29, 2010 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I liked the premise of this book it was... odd. That is the only word I can use to describe it. Very odd. I picked it up because, as a fellow Camino traveler, I was interested to see what someone else had to say about a journey that was very pivotal in my own life.

While I really appreciated much of what Ms. MacLaine had to say regarding the spiritual nature of the Camino, and the way in which people are drawn to it, and find meaning from it she really dismissed and failed to account fo
Marlene French
Jun 21, 2016 Marlene French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
I have read almost all of Shirley Maclaine's books. I love them so much and they really fill my mind wondering void! This one was no different! The people who walk the Camino are heroes to me and I was right there with her as she told her experiences she had during her walk. You must read this book with an open mind for without that you probably won't finish it. She is so brave, as always, to say what she really thinks and believes and I give her kudos for that. I agree with her that there is so ...more
Faye Powell
Oct 11, 2014 Faye Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Pilgrims have been drawn to the 500-mile Santiago de Compostela Camino across northern Spain for many centuries in search of spiritual and psychological growth. After being instructed by an anonymous person via two letters to make the walk, MacLaine, in her sixties, decides to heed the call. This book is the recounting of both the physical and spiritual journey she made.

MacLaine is well-known as a spiritual seeker through her other books and public speeches. I bought the book primarily out of cu
Joanne Keevers
Jan 23, 2015 Joanne Keevers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit

Years ago, I read "Out on a Limb" by Shirley Maclaine, so knew to expect the unexpected from her.

The first three quarters of the book describe how she heard about the Camino, the journey itself, the people she met along the way, past life regressions she experienced during her quiet far, very interesting, and I enjoyed following her walking travels through the sacred trail.

The last few chapters rattled me. This was where I reached "the unexpected"
Jane Blanchard
Sep 17, 2013 Jane Blanchard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit by Shirley MacLaine more than ten years ago; I could not understand why a sexagenarian, especially such a famous one, would want to walk 500 miles with belongings limited to a backpack. Though Ms. MacLaine tried to do the pilgrimage incognito, she was hounded by the press, and she recounts what she had to do to elude them. As renown as she is, the story has little to do with her acclaim and more to do with her spiritual journey. At the time, I lov ...more
Oct 24, 2015 Jeremy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm walking the Camino del Norte in a month, and I wanted to get a feel for the types of experiences people have. I've read some blogs, but I thought I'd check the local library to see what's available there. This book was all they had...

...and this woman is crazy. I don't know who Shirley Maclaine is - maybe I've seen her before and I just don't know it - but she regularly talks about her celebrity like she's an A-list actor. Maybe she is, and that really doesn't matter, but what does matter is
Feb 09, 2013 Susy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many others who've read & reviewed this book, I bought it to read about Ms. Maclaine's experience on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela which is enjoying newfound popularity following the film, The Way.
While I admire the author's ability to power through the 500 miles of the Camino in 30 days (if her timetable is to be trusted), I felt there simply wasn't enough of the actual journey for me. I hoped to read about the geography of the route, the camaraderie of the fellow pilgrima and
Deborah Gray
This is pure, unadulterated Shirley MacLaine and I have to admire her for that. She is truly wed to her authenticity, unfortunately sometimes to the detriment of the story. This is not really a book for people who are intending to embark on a pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela and want to take notes about the route. It's a book about Shirley's personal journey to discover more about herself and what lies behind her time here in the physical plane.

However, I did glean facts and a
Penelope Douglas
A large part of this book is very informative about the Camino, especially as far as supplies needed, stops on the trail, and her personal experiences of the sights she sees, however, some chapters were better skimmed for me.

I can appreciate that this was HER journey, but for a non-fiction text I didn't really get much out of being taken into her imaginary world where she believes she's lived several past lives. If you're open to that sort of thing, I'm sure you'll love it, but for a dirty, rot
Beth Foote
Shirley and I had way different Caminos. I didn't see any rats in the albergues or have visions of my past life in Atlantis as an androgynous being, or as a Moorish princess in the middle ages. And in her current life, she battled off papparazzi in the shower (cold water) once they found out she was on The Camino. My mystical experiences on the Camino were way more mainstream, and I'm pleased to report there is now hot water in all of Spain. But I enjoyed Shirley's Camino, and her view of spirit ...more
Debbie Boucher
Several friends have recently walked El Camino. I plan to do this soon, so I figured it would be fun to read an account of the walk by Shirley Maclaine. She was about my age when she made her pilgrimage, and I must say I am impressed by her fortitude, especially since she was hounded by the press nearly the entire way. Otherwise, the book is one the strangest I have ever read as far as spirituality is concerned. Not sure I would recommend it unless you are curious like I was to read the account ...more
Jul 11, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shirley Maclaine's travels are always "out of this world" and interesting to me, and this book was no exception.

The Camino meaning "the way" is about a difficult 500 mile pilgrimage along the Santiago de Compostela Camino in northern Spain. The trail is ancient and allegedly enchanted and walked by St. Francis of Assisi, Charlemagne, Ferdinand and Isabella, Dante and Chaucer, among many others.

I especially liked the book's definition of 'karma': all energy always returns to itself. However, SOME
Shawn Rathbun
Sep 20, 2015 Shawn Rathbun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought about giving it zero stars but I did muddle through the book so I guess it deserves one star. I quickly grew tired of the dream-visions so I skipped pages. Incredibly weird book written by a tiresome, self-centered author. Very little about the Camino experience. I'm not sure why I kept reading - maybe like gawking at a disaster or maybe I was hoping to learn more about the Camino. Ranks right up there as one of the worst books I've read.
Sep 06, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As far as books on the Camino are concerned, this one was my least favorite. If you are interested in Shirley's spiritual journey, her visions and will like this. I am not interested in her visions or dreams so I skipped through a lot of the pages in this book. I'm solely interested in the Camino as a journey. The revelations that each person has are personal. Same with Shirley' this book didn't do much for me.
Angela Tweddle
Refreshing. Fun. Inspirational. Although her imagination runs a little whacky at times. One gets a good sense of what to expect along the Santiago Camino. A pilgrimmage of the heart and a test of human endurance and willpower. One is taken out of your comfort zone, as Shirley Maclaine takes the reader on a walk through the Pyrennes, nature and urban density, sometimes having to sleep in filthy, rustic hostels and under trees, in a quest to return to her own soul.
Stacey (wanderlustforwords67)
The reason I gave this book 4 stars is not for its literary brilliance, but for its unique content and the fast pace at which it moves. Some things in the book are a bit "out there." However, anyone who has heard of Shirley MaClaine's beliefs and writing should expect this. I was caught up in the actual concept of this journey and the transformational possibilities.
Sonya Madden
Jun 24, 2012 Sonya Madden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I found it at a second hand book sale for $2 and promptly took it home and begun reading. A good friend of mine had recommended it months and months prior. Aside from the author sharing similar traits to myself (taurus) I loved the surprise of all her visions and insights while on the trail. They were fantastic. I would certainly read this book again!
Mike Williams
Bat-shit Crazy!
Aug 06, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister and I want to do this 500 mile walk across Spain someday, but all Shirley's talk about alien sex got a little weird at the end, but I'm always open to possibilities and journeys of spirit!
Jul 20, 2013 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous, but sort of worth reading just to see that such things actually exist, and people apparently believe in them.
I learned a lot about Spain, the Andalusia region. She writes very well and the book has a really good flow. No matter what one thinks of her ideas, it's a ... well, good read.
Feb 01, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Mom left this book at my home one vacation and I read it in two days...fascinating journey!
Oct 10, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of self-serving, rambling BS. I don't know what I found the most implausible - her dream visions, or her RUNNING 15 kms whilst still talking. And where are all these photos the press supposedly took of her? Also lost with the "precious" rolls of film she had posted back to the US? So glad I didn't spend any money on this book and merely borrowed it.
Jan 15, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shirley does the Santiago de Compostela de Camino! This is the 500 mile trek for pilgrims in northern Spain which terminates at the church of St. James. I've read about the pilgrimage and pilgrims in other places. It always fascinates me and I wanted to do it. Don't know if I will make it now with my current hip and knee injuries. So I like reading of the experiences of others on "The Way".
The way is said to have its ley lines lie directly under the Milky Way and therefore it receives energy f
May 13, 2015 Szeee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Valószínűleg nem érdemel ez a könyv ekkora lehúzást, mert nincs olyan rosszul megírva, de úgy felidegelt ma, hogy csak na.
Tökre az lett az érzésem az aktuális részt olvasva, hogy Shirley csak azért írta meg ezt a könyvet, hogy a csöppet sem mindennapi ezoterikus hitét belefoglalja valami történetbe. Méghozzá úgy adta elő ezt, hogy a Caminot járva a fejében megjelenő folytatásos látomások formájában megvilágosodott az élet keletkezéséről és értelméről. Már a könyv első felében is húzogattam a sze
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • Fumbling: A Journey of Love, Adventure, and Renewal on the Camino de Santiago
  • The Legacy of Luna: The Story of a Tree, a Woman, and the Struggle to Save the Redwoods
  • The Year We Seized the Day: A True Story of Friendship and Renewal on the Camino
  • Dreamwalker: The Path of Sacred Power
  • Invisible Acts of Power: Channeling Grace in Your Everyday Life
  • Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman’s Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • The Long Road Turns to Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation
  • Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness
  • The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2
  • Becoming Native to This Place
  • Archangels and Ascended Masters: A Guide to Working and Healing with Divinities and Deities
  • Wisdom of the Last Farmer: The Legacy of Generations
  • The Stillmeadow Road (Stillmeadow Series, #7)
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words
  • The Singular Pilgrim: Travels on Sacred Ground
Shirley MacLaine is an Academy Award-winning American film and theatre actress, well-known not only for her acting, but for her devotion to her belief in reincarnation. She is also the writer of a large number of autobiographical works, many dealing with her new age beliefs, such as solipsism, as well as her Hollywood career. She is the older sister of Warren Beatty.

More about Shirley Maclaine...