Start by marking “The Digital Dead” as Want to Read:
The Digital Dead

The Digital Dead

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Bruce Balfour, the acclaimed author of The Forge of Mars, brings us to a future age in which virtual versions of the dead control the desires of those they've left behind-with terrifying results.
Published July 29th 2003 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digital Dead

Mark
Feb 08, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I like a decent science fiction story, it does not have to be amazing, just fun. And Bruce Balfour's The Digital Dead was certainly fun. Was it overly complex with a lot of characters? Sure. Did it not fully flesh out many of these characters, such as the protagonist Tau Wolfsinger? Frustratingly so. However, I enjoyed the discussions of Artificial Intelligence, the ethical quandaries of producing a virtual copy of an individual's memories and personality while they are alive and then after they ...more
Andreas
Mar 26, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it
In the setting for novel, one can get an implant that takes a snapshot of the brain at death (a little like in Altered Carbon). This snapshot is transferred to the databanks of the company Elysian Fields and a sort of electronic heaven. So the dead are not really dead. Looks promising, but my first question is: If these dead can be “alive” why don’t they just implant their cybernetic consciousnesses into cyborgs and roam free? This question is answered, but not really to anyone’s satisfaction.

Th
Scott Holstad
Sep 21, 2012 Scott Holstad rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but not a great book either. Could have been better. First, though, it's about a new company called Elysian Fields that offers eternal life by implanting chips in people's heads and then when you die, an electronic copy of your personality is stored in a digital universe for people to interact with as though you're still alive. It's an odd premise and hard to pull off. I'm not convinced the book accomplished that for me. This book is also a sequel, which I wish I would have known ...more
Tom
Mar 16, 2009 Tom rated it it was ok
This book was like a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. It seems like it should be really good, but then while you eat it, you realize it's sugary, but not really delicious. It ought to be delicious! But it's not. And then when you're done, you think, "Did I really just eat a whole bowl of that?"

This book wasn't labeled a direct sequel, but it obviously builds from Balfor's previous work (The Forge of Mars, or something). The main character is either an amazing super-agent guy, or just some Navajo dope
Mark Lacy
Dec 29, 2013 Mark Lacy rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
I initially tried to get into this book, but just couldn't. It didn't seem that interesting. But I tried again a few years later, and it turned out to be interesting after all. But it wasn't a *great* read. For example, there were too many subplots that weren't tied together till near the end. That got confusing and aggravating. Like "The Forge of Mars", it had a variety of different themes in it, including chase scenes and espionage worthy of a thriller.
Macha
May 26, 2012 Macha rated it liked it
3 & 1/2 stars. nicely done. who is this guy? i thought, intending to search out more. designer of the early game classic Neuromancer, as it turns out, a game i still remember fondly. and that's just nifty.
JC
Apr 15, 2015 JC rated it really liked it
Fun ride. Bounces around a little toward the end and leaves me wanting more details on the conspiracies that are resolved abruptly. But fun regardless.
Jonathan
Apr 25, 2011 Jonathan is currently reading it
This book is so good so far - that I intend to find a copy of the first book Forge of Mars so that I can read that as well. Great writing.
Larry
Larry rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 18, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
The Hermit's
The Hermit's marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Brittney Rz.
Brittney Rz. rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Kim Montroy
Kim Montroy rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Arianne Portelli
Arianne Portelli marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Emilie
Emilie added it
Jul 27, 2014
John Kiat
John Kiat rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2014
Livie
Livie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sleenak
Sleenak marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Chris Kemper
Chris Kemper rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Bonnie Goodwin
Bonnie Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2013