Start by marking “HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide

HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  18 reviews
HTML and its XML-based descendant, XHTML, are the fundamental languages for working on the web, and the new edition of our popular HTML guide offers web developers a better way to become fluent in these languages. "HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide," 5th Edition is the most comprehensive, up-to-date book available on HTML and XHTML. It covers Netscape Navigator 6, Int ...more
Published August 22nd 2002 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about HTML & XHTML, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML & XHTML

Taught myself HTML with this book. I still reference it frequently, though I should probably get something a little more up to date.
This is a critical reference book for any web developer's library.
Not "finished" but I have read what I needed to for now.
Just what's needed for those HTML questions you have...: If you do web development, you should have one solid HTML/XHTML reference guide on your bookshelf. This one ranks up there... HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide (6th Edition) by Chuck Musciano and Bill Kennedy. Although the CSS and XML sections are a little light, the core HTML and XHTML information is all you could ask for.

Contents: HTML, XHTML, and the World Wide Web; Quick Start; Anatomy of an HTML Document; Text Basics; Rules, Ima
This was the book I learned HTML from! It was very clear, great descriptions of browser support and caveats, plus all of the brand new HTML 4 stuff ( tags were my favorite!) There was lots of sample code, a lot of it about Kumquats... which I didn't believe was a real fruit until I finally saw one in real life, almost ten years later.
If you're teaching yourself HTML, you must own this book. It includes all the basics, along with sample pages coded and displayed. Very well explained.
Another book I've read for by Web publishing class. Very useful, but very long and dense. It will be a great reference work to have on my shelf!
Basic html coding skills still carry me a long way. This remains helpful, even after all these years!
This is my most tattered book. I look things up all the time. It is the best reference for HTML.
Quickly reviewed for e-pub class. May become source for recommended readings in future classes.
Les Gehman
This is an excellent introduction to creating web pages using raw HTML commands.
required text for a class - not too difficult and interseting.
TK Keanini
Very good to have a book with both HTML and XHTML side by side.
Easy to understand and easy to use. Great Guide!
Dave Peticolas

Another fine O'Reilly book.

Christopher Sego
Christopher Sego marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Gitte marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference: The Definitive Reference
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
  • Learning XML
  • Learning Perl
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Programming PHP
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
  • CSS Cookbook
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • sed & awk
  • SQL in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Running Linux

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Chuck Musciano is the Chief Information Officer for Martin Marietta Materials, a $2.2B producer of construction aggregates. He is responsible for all aspects of Martin Marietta's enterprise information systems, including their ERP, document management, point of sale, business intelligence, and customer information systems.

From 1997 to 2003, Chuck served as CIO of the American Kennel Club. During
More about Chuck Musciano...