3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Learn the tricks of the trade so you can build and architect applications that scale quickly--without all the high-priced headaches and service-level agreements associated with enterprise app servers and proprietary programming and database products. Culled from the experience of the Flickr.com lead developer, "Building Scalable Web Sites" offers techniques for creating fa...more
Published May 16th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Building Scalable Web Sites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Scalable Web Sites

Chris Witt
Maybe this book was relevant when it first came out, but going through it in early 2009 I couldn't believe how many inaccuracies were present throughout the book. Completely outdated and misleading information on web services, XML feeds, and the .NET platform.

The book should have just been called "Why I Am In Love With .PHP and MySql And Don't Believe That Any Other Combination Can Be Used To Build A Successful Website".

I found myself shaking my head repeatedly, thinking "Have you ever actually...more
Prasanth Gangaraju
The book IS outdated, and irrelevant in the current tech scenario. But, it certainly is very good in a way - it teaches the experienced programmer about the necessary foresight one must have while building an application that s/he wishes would scale. Sure there is the famous quote - "Plan to throw one [version] away; you will, anyhow.", but this book helps you to avoid doing that.
Carlos
Guía muy completa sobre el proceso de creación de un website escalable y exitoso. Desde el modelo MVC hasta trucos para escalar mysql.

Toca todos los niveles de detalle, y aunque sea del 2006 todavía es actual. Muy bien escrito, toca todos los temas importantes.
Izidor
Funny time back to 2006. Having the book back in the time, wow man, so much knowledge and experience. Overview of more advanced approaches (replication, web services authentication) can be still useful nowadays.
Chris
This would be a great book to give to someone working on their first web service. I wish I had read something like it when I first started.

The author opts for breadth rather than depth, covering unicode, data sanitation, load balancing, database sharding and replication, SQUID proxies, monitoring, email servers, and many other topics. Fortunately, he acknowledges that he's only skimming the surface of many of the areas, and provides ample references to other books or software projects.

The main c...more
Ben Haley
Cal is not a great writer, but he is a great resource and so if your MO is to design a large website well from the get go Cal will point you on the roads you need to walk down. The book was practical, but obviously couldn't go too deep into any of its topics, layered architectures, unicode, security, email, database scaling, caching, monitoring, and APIs. It came with a decent amount of redundancy and to me some parts were pointing to topics so advanced that I just had to shrug a maybe later. Bu...more
John Hobbs
While it is a bit dated, and you could probably scrape all of this together off the web, it's still a good book.

Very little of it has passed into total irrelevance, most of it you can gain some value from.

He's best at describing high level concepts, like sharding.

A good read, even if you are passingly familiar with this stuff, you will gain a deeper understanding.
Dmitry Fink
Most if the book is outdated and irrelevant, the tools and mechanisms (MYSQL, PHP, XML-RPC, SOAP, RSS) is not
something one would expect to see in a book on scalability in our iaas/paas/automatically sharded nosql/json/single page webapp world,
however it is still a good book and I have enough notes after reading it to justify the time spent.
Ala' Abuhijleh
Excellent book. it covers most of scalable website aspects. Very practical and enriched with examples. however, the flow of ideas is not clear and some topics are prematurely concluded. It also misses to cover important issues related to scalable website e.g. caching engines
Kevin
Great overview of the different types of considerations you need to be mindful of when building scalable web applications. Breadth valued over depth, but there are whole books on most of the topics covered, so it's worth the read as an introduction to mega-app issues.
Graham Poulter
A few good ideas, and but it has aged poorly, and stops at "medium scale" - the sort of setup with a handful of front end servers.
Tim Chase
Excellent & approachable guide for scaling websites; Chapter 4 is a bit long & out of place, but rest is high-quality stuff
Daryn Nakhuda
Aug 08, 2008 Daryn Nakhuda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: web engineers
A little dry (and I love this topic). Good information is contained within, and it's a good read for web engineers.
Steven
Some useful tips drawn from experience for scaling a high traffic web application.
Jeff Jia
Cal seems not to be a good writer, and the book is poorly written.
Tracy
Great book from the front lines.
Andrew
Excellent, but over my head still.
Georgi
Georgi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Padraig O'brien
Padraig O'brien marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Ryan D
Ryan D added it
Sep 06, 2014
George Maggessy
George Maggessy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Paul Smith
Paul Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • High Performance Web Sites
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • User Interface Design for Programmers
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • JavaScript Web Applications
  • Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Software Project Survival Guide
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Eloquent Ruby

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Building Scalable Web Sites: Building, Scaling, and Optimizing the Next Generation of Web Applications Skalowalne Witryny Internetowe. Budowa, Skalowanie I Optymalizacja Aplikacji Internetowych Nowej Generacji Searching with PHP and MySQL