Start by marking “Auntie Claus” as Want to Read:
Auntie Claus

Auntie Claus (Auntie Claus)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,428 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Auntie Claus is just another eccentric New Yorker--or is she? Young Sophie has often wondered about her unusual great-aunt, Auntie Claus. She lives in penthouse 25C at the Bing Cherry Hotel and is so curioso! After all, Auntie Claus serves Christmas cookies all year long and her tree is always the best-decorated in the city. And then there's her annual "business trip," rig ...more
Published September 27th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Auntie Claus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auntie Claus

Dolly
Nov 11, 2010 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a popular book at the school book fair and when our oldest asked me to read it to her and a few classmates during reading time in her Second grade class, I was more than delighted to. It was a bit of a disappointment for me, however. The story seemed to be disjointed and too long and the message was all but lost. It just didn't flow well for me, although if I read it again, I would probably adopt a few different accents. The kids seemed to like it, but I just thought it was okay. The il ...more
Joanna
A classic tale that teaches the path to happiness that invites us to live the true meaning of Christmas, love, throughout the year. Christmas is not about what you get or how many gifts you are given but it is about giving of yourself to others, "it is far better to give than to receive". Because "all the best things in life are invisible".
Kasey O'brien
In the spirit of the holidays, I reread Auntie Claus for the first time in about ten years. My mom used to read this to her kindergarten class every year and I remember absolutely loving it, but I couldn't remember what exactly it was about. What a treat! This book is every bit as good as I remember. The illustrations are rich and full of holiday cheer. It's about a young girl (Sophie) who (along with her brother) is spoiled rotten by her wealthy parents. Her whole family (the Kringles) love Chr ...more
Dimity
A Mighty Girl (amightygirl.com) is my go-to source for reading materials for my daughter. I periodically check out the website book recommendations and then reserve a bunch of them at once from the library. I feel A Mighty Girl was off the mark here for suggesting Auntie Claus for the 4-8 year old age range. This book is very long for a picture book and it didn't keep my turning 4 this week daughter's attention span. I'll revisit in a couple years.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: When we read this in the afternoon, we had our preschooler's undivided attention. S/He didn't want to sit still for it at bedtime, though. Every time we read it, s/he wants to know more about Sophie and Auntie Claus.

Big Kid Reaction: This is a fun story. The narrative is descriptive and wholly necessary, but wordier than what our preschooler is used to. We are happy when s/he wants to sit for the whole story, 'cuz we like reading it to the end.

Pros: The story is imaginativel
Jackie
Auntie Claus is a charming little story about that "bad boys and girls" list when they finally realize that it really is better to give than receive. When Sophie is oh-so-curious about what Auntie Claus does between Halloween and Christmas (it couldn't just be a business trip, could it?), she stows away and finds out what true giving is all about.
Gina
Another house favorite of ours- both girls were given this book at some point in their childhoods, and we love the story so much that we have kept both so that when they grow up, they'll each have their own copy to pass on. A great message about being better to give than to receive with fantastic illustrations.
Kay Mcgriff
Sophie learns her aunt's secret and that it is better to give than to receive. No tears--but much laughter--in this story. Sophie may be a spoiled brat, but she does have a good heart. In the end that good heart opens the door to learning some secrets and making it back home in time for Christmas.
Michael
Fun little Christmas story about a girl who finds out her aunt's secret - how important her business trips are! It tries to come up with a moral at the end but its strength is in the secret mission and the girl's adventures.
Sally Bogdan
one of my favorites! cute story for christmas time. illustrations are beauitful. good book to read to children or a class
S.K.
I've read all three now, because a friend had these and dropped them off for some Christmas reading. I'm not a fan for the following reasons:
1) Too wordy for the age group.
2) Vertical positioning for a spread is awkward! One is okay, but each book has two.
3) Rather snooty feeling with "darling", penthouse, New York name dropping, tea time, illustrations depicting dogs as minions...and more, I'm sure.
4) Why do the kids not know that Santa is their uncle?
5) Writing a little rough and could have be
D.
A modern classic Christmas tale. I enjoy the artwork and the characters and Jonah loves anything Santa
Alana
This was a fantastic gift for a New Yorker Auntie to give her godchild at Christmas.
Sophie has always been curious about her rather eccentric great-aunt who lives in New York, Auntie Claus. She always has the best tree, she serves Christmas cookies all year round, and she always seems to take a mysterious "business trip" around the holidays. This year, Sophie's determined to find out what's going on, so she stows away in Auntie Claus's luggage.
The illustrations are really beautiful and we had a
The Kringle family has a well kept secret -- and Sophie is about to discover where her Auntie goes on her mysterious business trips...
The illustrations are fantastic, and the storyline engaging, with a lovely message. Think Polar Express + Eloise.
Catherine
Very good Christmas book.
Akasha
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Amanda
Kind of an good story about how it's better to give than to receive. It felt strange saying "Auntie Claus" since it sounds like Anti-claus and my son kept asking "Why does Auntie Claus want to be Santa Claus?" I'm not sure where he got that idea. There was a little more text than could keep his attention, but he seemed intrigued by the illustrations and the mystery surrounding who Auntie Claus is and where she goes every year...
Lisa
The story of Sophie, a spoiled and selfish little girl, who decides to stow away so that she can spy on her mysterious aunt, Auntie Claus. It turns out that her aunt works for Santa, and to try and blend in, Sophie poses as an elf. But when she has a chance to see the Naughty List, and sees that her brother's name is on it, she has a change of heart. Very fun story and super cute illustrations.
Jen
This is a great book about Auntie Claus, Santa's sister, and the business trip that she takes every year from just after Thanksgiving and returning just before Valentine's Day. The message she conveys to her niece and nephew who are extremely spoiled is that it's better to give than to receive and that's one that her niece learns the hard way.
Cammie
Dec 17, 2009 Cammie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to everybody
Recommended to Cammie by: my mom read it to me on Christmas
Shelves: christmas-books
Siera
If you haven't already read this book then you should do it now. I remember as a little kid, every year near Christmas I would read this over and over again (actually I still do), and I was so enchanted by the mysterious Auntie Claus and her mysterious key and her mysterious job - it was all so ... mysterious!!
Dayna
This is one of the first Christmas books I added to my collection for "when I have kids someday" ... now I have that kiddo and this book is so fun to read. Who wouldn't want to have such a magical Auntie who lived in an amazing NYC building. Great Illustrations - very colorful!
Shauna
This may be our family's favorite Christmas book . . . most of the children "fought" over who got to name this one to their favorites list.

See the other "favorite favorites" at:
Trink J.
Dec 03, 2007 Trink J. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Great for girls
Shelves: children, own-a-copy
Christmas and learning the family business from a New York City girl's point of view; very empowering. Why manners are good, and how to flaunt them, and why manners are good. Delightful, whimsical color illustrations. My 12-yr-old still likes this, and so do I!
Andréa
I had high hopes for this one, considering it's fun concept. The illustrations are whimsical and well-done, but the story falls short -- it almost feels incomplete, as if parts have been skipped over. Overall, I was disappointed with it.
Adrianne Rosal
My children and I received this book this year for Christmas and we absolutely love it......number one rule it's better to give then to receive!! Very cute book!!
Snowman
Dec 12, 2007 Snowman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christian kids
Shelves: happy-books
Well, it's December, meaning Christmas time, (or that's when I wrote this review) and it's a perfect time to read this cute book about a mysterious aunt. A little girl goes as a castaway and ends up at the north pole itself...
Anne Robertson
Cute story with the moral of 'it is far better to give than to receive.' It would be great right before the holiday break to talk about creative ways to write. Some pages are long ways and some are side ways.
MissInformation
If you are a kid who finds out about the "family business," how far would you go to make sure your pain-in-the-neck naughty brother has christmas?

With really vibrant, cute pastel-on-watercolor illus.
Another winner by Elise!! 1 3 Dec 02, 2008 08:19PM
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Santa Calls
  • Light of Christmas
  • Mooseltoe
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Wombat Divine
The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas Louise the Big Cheese and the Back-to-School Smarty-Pants The House at the End of Ladybug Lane Libby of High Hopes