Start by marking “A Big Ball of String” as Want to Read:
A Big Ball of String

A Big Ball of String (Beginner Books B-5)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  23 reviews
After winding a large ball of string, a young boy has fun finding ways of using it.
Published May 1st 1993 by Random House Children's Books (first published May 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Big Ball of String, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Ball of String

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWendall by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Books for six-year-olds
64th out of 413 books — 213 voters
Iggy Peck, Architect by Andrea BeatyRosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea BeatyPop! by Meghan MccarthyCloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi BarrettNow & Ben by Gene Barretta
Picture Books About Inventors
23rd out of 37 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
I also posted this under "Discussion," but wanted to add it here as well: This book was illustrated, but not written, by Roy McKie.

I'm delighted to see "A Big Ball of String" is still enjoyed by children and parents--and remembered fondly by those who first heard (or read) it as kids themselves. Marion Holland, the author, was my grandmother. She wrote and illustrated "A Big Ball of String," published in 1958. It was reissued in 1993 with fun illustrations by Roy McKie.

Marion Holland also wrot
Lynley
Jul 19, 2015 Lynley added it
This book has been republished as part of the 'Dr Suess Beginner Books' series written by classic authors other than Dr Suess. (You'll have seen them - they feature an image of The Cat In The Hat on the back cover.) This one was first published in 1958, and to its credit the story hasn't dated even if the illustrations have. But when I read it aloud I thought to myself that I wouldn't be reading it again in a hurry - it's simply too long. If this story were half as long it'd be twice as good. In ...more
Muse Here
My sister just reminded me of this one. We used to love it as kids. I think I read it to my son when he was little, before losing the book. Very creative and clever. I liked how the sick boy used his cleverness to still keep busy, though he didn't really stay in bed, but honestly I don't think he really seemed sick. Still, very clever and cute. Also, I'm fairly certain it rhymed as well. I love clever rhyming books.
Susannah McFarlane
I LOVED this book when I was a little - it almost made me want to day home sick from school! I even tried to hook up the intricate rope system in my bedroom, with less than impressive results.

A wonderful story about inventiveness and imagination - the things you can do with a ball of string!
Lotte
This is one of the best read-alouds for young children! A sick boy must stay in his room and makes all kind of creative fun with a ball of string: "I can do anything, anything, with a big ball of string!!" This has not been published for many years - what a loss!!
Anna Loeppky
This is a story of a young boy who has a huge ball of string. He uses this ball of string for many different purposes. This book is the adventure that he goes on with his ball of string. This book is suitable for early childhood readers.
Anne
This was my big brother's favorite book at the time. One of my favorite pictures of us all was with he and I in my grandmother's lap while she read it to us.

"I can do anything, anything I said!"
Kathy
This is at the top of the list of fun books to read with kids! I think I about have it memorized! Great fun!
Ronan Mason
This was my fav book as a kid - I think my Dad had to 'lose' it because he got sick of reading it to me!
Chrystal Flamank
I can do anything, anything at all with my big ball of string.
Kelly
I loved this book as a kid; we would read it over and over and over.
Eric Bowman
My favorite children's book; my Mother probably has it memorized.
Sharon
I have four siblings and it was a favorite of us all.
Fun rhyming book. Early-mid reader.
Rebecca
A fun early reader about all the things a boy comes up to do with a ball of string instead of staying in bed like his mother told him. Kids like the story.
Joanne-in-Canada
May 04, 2015 Joanne-in-Canada rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joanne-in-Canada by: Santa Claus
Shelves: favourites
A favourite since 1964. According to family legend, the first book I read aloud. You do the math.
Matthew Bell
My favorite part was when the boy was shooting the darts everywhere, boom! boom! boom! boom!
ThePinkCarrot
Don't let little boys read this book...they will get too many wild ideas!
Kirei
Oct 17, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers to elementary
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a book about a boy and his string. I thought it seemed to go on and on with no plot and therefore was a little boring, but my five year old son seemed to like it. He asked me to read it again (although he asks that with many books!)
Theresa
an early reader talking about collecting things and the importance of keeping things organized
Hbrous Broussard
My kids enjoyed this book. Not much of a story, but it is fun to read aloud.
Mckinley
Interesting.
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • A Child's Book of Art: Great Pictures First Words
  • Then and Now
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Why Do Tigers Have Stripes?
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Five True Dog Stories

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet! (Beginner Books)
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
No Children, No Pets The Secret Horse No Room for a Dog The Christmas Tree Crisis A Tree for Teddy